Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't read vigilantes so the end of this chapter falls a bit flat for me

also

You should fix that by reading Vigilantes. They just had a big arc all about who that guy is, why he's so important to Eraserhead, and why Eraserhead is generally the way he is.

I do wonder how the anime is going to handle this when they reach this part in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I used to read but dropped it. not really interested in it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

You should fix that by reading Vigilantes. They just had a big arc all about who that guy is, why he's so important to Eraserhead, and why Eraserhead is generally the way he is.

I do wonder how the anime is going to handle this when they reach this part in a few years.

Two-episode side story for specifically that arc, probably. There's no other (major) Vigilantes characters in it, just Present Mic, Eraser, and Midnight, so there's no need to establish character backstory or anything, and they can present it as a flashback.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

amigolupus posted:

This is just really weird. So Kurogiri's a Nomu. But we know Nomus are just mindless dolls, while we've seen Kurogiri show sentience and character. So does that mean Kurogiri's some sort of super special prototype?

One thing I'm curious about is whether this is actually Shirakumo's consciousness, or if they just used his body and stuck someone else's brain into him. Shirakumo in Vigilantes was more of an upbeat airhead which doesn't really match how Kurogiri was more of a levelheaded caretaker to Shigaraki.

This is a very good question that still needs answering, desu. Perhaps he's a high-end or mid-end prototype?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, Aizawa is going to use his quirk to turn off the mist around Kurogiri and we're gonna see a hosed up corpse underneath, aren't we?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
He disabled Kurogiri's quirk temporarily during the USJ raid and that didn't happen, he just couldn't make portals.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shere posted:

He disabled Kurogiri's quirk temporarily during the USJ raid and that didn't happen, he just couldn't make portals.

Really? I don't remember that. Still, we probably are going to see what he looks like under that mist soon.

Also, am I crazy or was there totally a fan theory that called Shirakumo being Kurogiri? Then again, I feel like everyone has had at least one "is THIS character actually Kurogiri!?" theory about them at some point or another, so at least one of them had to be right eventually.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Vigilantes spoiler: Cloud Boy's head was crushed by falling debris, right? So this is probably not the same person (though almost certainly the same body, which is ghoulish but it is AfO after all).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

Really? I don't remember that. Still, we probably are going to see what he looks like under that mist soon.

Also, am I crazy or was there totally a fan theory that called Shirakumo being Kurogiri? Then again, I feel like everyone has had at least one "is THIS character actually Kurogiri!?" theory about them at some point or another, so at least one of them had to be right eventually.

I never heard any theories like that. From what I knew everyone just thought Kurogiri was Kurogiri.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

Vigilantes is in it's final arc. Maybe they will adapt it between seasons.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Rhonne posted:

I think I was just misremembering a bad fan translation, but I recall Aizawa mentioning that he blinked and Kurogiri took the opportunity to warp over to the kids. He might have just meant like "in the blink of an eye", not literally.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Honestly, I'm surprised Vigilantes ended up being as good as it is. The early chapters were really rough, especially when it comes to Pop Step. IIRC, the first chapter had her being threatened with sexual assault, and she didn't really contribute much of anything to the plot or the heroics. The story only got to have fun with Pop when Makoto entered the scene and helped out with the whole mall singing gig.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the difference between readms and jb this week has really cemented how bad jb's can be.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I never heard any theories like that. From what I knew everyone just thought Kurogiri was Kurogiri.

There was a while where people thought Tsukauchi was Kurogiri because they wore similar ties.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guess this is what gets me to finally start reading Vigilantes, been meaning to for a long-rear end time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

Guess this is what gets me to finally start reading Vigilantes, been meaning to for a long-rear end time.
It starts it a bit rough since it changed magazines twice but it gets and stays consistently good past a point

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This Cruller fella ain't half bad.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hypocrisy posted:

Does Midnight still have that cat?

Isn’t Vigilantes 15-20 years before the main series? It could be dead of old age by now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My theory is that AFO just stole Shirakumo's Quirk posthumously and it merged with Kurogiri's natural quirk to create Warp Gate... But that begs the question of if AFO can steal Quirks posthumously.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Shirakumo is going to MHA’s Obito isn’t he?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Isn’t Vigilantes 15-20 years before the main series? It could be dead of old age by now.

It's set before the main series but it''s not really specified how many years before. Probably a lot less than 15-20 though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vigilantes is like five or six years before the main series. All Might's already had his fight against All For One, and Aizawa is in his twenties.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RatHat posted:

The very second Bakugou becomes Sasuke, yes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RatHat posted:

Dabi already exists.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

This Cruller fella ain't half bad.

You mean the Hauler?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The anime is flying through the manga, maybe there'll be time for the festival after all. :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The last episode ending with

would be perfect

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There is no way that we're not getting the festival. You can't stretch Overhaul and Remedial Exam into 2 full cours. I'm a little bummed since I was originally thinking we could get through Overhaul in 12 episodes but I don't think that's happening. I can't imagine them spending literally 2 whole episodes on Kirishima because that whole thing is like 5-6 chapters though.

Edit: lol, they didn't read the manga's visuals right so it looks like Eraserhead just breaks the Food guy's neck when what he does is knock him out with a feint into an elbow strike to the back of the head in the manga.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 7, 2019

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If we get the festival, that means we get the Gentle fight which is gonna be real cool to see animated.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I honestly think Gentle's fight with Deku is one of the best in the series. They could have a lot of fun with it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fabricated posted:

Edit: lol, they didn't read the manga's visuals right so it looks like Eraserhead just breaks the Food guy's neck when what he does is knock him out with a feint into an elbow strike to the back of the head in the manga.
Yeah that got a double take out of me

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
VIZ translation is up, and so is the trivia from Caleb.

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1203839049296822279

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

As much as I appreciate JB or ReadMS' quick translations, their translations have issues that waiting for the official translation seems to be more worth it.

That said, god bless All Might and his dad puns. :allears:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Symbol of Sweets is an A+ translation.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I could be off, but I seem to recall them saying Kurogiri is kinda weird in that most of his "body" is just black mist in its entirety, with only a small "core" area he has to actually worry about, so I don't think the reveal is gonna be ghoulish to that extreme, just a reveal that AfO took the quirk from his corpse

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

the dark secret of shonen manga is that no one in the business was better at depicting the flow of action than Akira Toriyama and nobody since him has really been great at it

Hunter X Hunter is also good with action, though it's largely because it does battles in this way where they usually take place in dramatic slow motion with a ton of exposition about exactly what is happening and the mindset of the characters as it happens. This works largely because the mechanics and "logic" of the battles are good and consistent.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

Hunter X Hunter is also good with action, though it's largely because it does battles in this way where they usually take place in dramatic slow motion with a ton of exposition about exactly what is happening and the mindset of the characters as it happens. This works largely because the mechanics and "logic" of the battles are good and consistent.

I actually hate all that exposition because he's so good at actually Showing what's going on in a complicated fight but then there's a ten paragraph long explanation on the page as well

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I don't need a TED talk on how your setting''s magic martial arts power works it just needs to meet the bare minimum of being consistent. Bakugou's sweat explodes? Okay, that's all I need to know.

The mechanics of ki never came up in Dragonball until Super and it was fine for it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I don't need a TED talk on how your setting''s magic martial arts power works it just needs to meet the bare minimum of being consistent. Bakugou's sweat explodes? Okay, that's all I need to know.

The mechanics of ki never came up in Dragonball until Super and it was fine for it

the bizarre thing in hxh's case is that the fights are indeed really complex and have lots of elements but togashi manages to express it perfectly visually. it doesn't need the explanations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Blockhouse posted:

the dark secret of shonen manga is that no one in the business was better at depicting the flow of action than Akira Toriyama and nobody since him has really been great at it

Now I'm kinda curious if this is something he formally learned or if he just gets composition the way so many people evidently don't. Is it something that can be taught?