Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can't get the color picker to actually save a color. Clicking ok seems to do pretty much the same thing as cancelling (from a user perspective). In both user colors and thread/post colors.

Even clicking the reset button for the thread/post colors doesn't do anything but warn me it can't be undone. After that colors stay the same old custom colors I had.

:ughh: Completely my fault on that one.

edit: Fixed both panes now.

This is the 6th pre-release version of :siren:restartless SALR with tab-based preferences available:siren:.
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

new since pre-release 5 posted:

Fixed color-setting in color and user preference panes for tab preferences.

pre-release 5 notes posted:

• Fixed "Configure SALR" content link loading a blank preference pane
  • The "Options" button for SALR in Firefox's Addons page will now open in-content/tab-based preferences if your browser is set to use tab-based preferences.
  • Changed "Search Forums" SA menu item and in-thread search boxes to use the new forum search since the index for the older one doesn't seem like it's being updated anymore.
    • Misc. small improvements/fixes for the in-thread search box.
  • Enabled SALR mouse gesture navigation for new search.

See previous posts for older notes. Please report any issues!

If you encounter some kind of extension- or browser-breaking problem and you want to switch back to the last release version, that's here.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
I searched the thread but didn't get any results. Just a heads up though I assume this is from goons being goons:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruarc posted:

I searched the thread but didn't get any results. Just a heads up though I assume this is from goons being goons:

That's a dick move considering the work people have put into it.

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what

syscall girl posted:

That's a dick move considering the work people have put into it.

Exactly. And I can't figure out how to rate it. It's AVAST Antivirus that's showing that poor/untrusted rating.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Avast is just broken and does this periodically with any number of addons.

edit: changing colors works again now, thanks.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ruarc posted:

ruarc posted:

Exactly. And I can't figure out how to rate it. It's AVAST Antivirus that's showing that poor/untrusted rating.

Thanks for posting that. I did some searching just now and found this on the Avast forums:

avast forum mod posted:

Add-ons which are available in the appropriate add-on online-store (e.g. Google or Mozilla add-on store) which have a good rating should automatically also have a good rating in Browser Cleanup (in most cases). Unfortunately almost any of the poor rated add-ons for Firefox and Chrome are not listed there. This means their rating get's influenced by our users behavior. This includes the amount of users uninstalling an add-on, the amount of times an add-on is seen and a couple of other facts. You cannot rate an add-on manually.

So basically Avast has some 'rating' formula that is largely broken if an add-on has a relatively small install base and isn't available on the official mozilla site.

You can just tell browser cleanup to ignore it but my personal recommendation is to not use that part of Avast.
Feel free to try sending them feedback anyway telling them to fix the rating for extension id: {fc6339b8-9581-4fc7-b824-dffcb091fcb7}
or just tell them how dumb their system is.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 24, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Thanks for posting that. I did some searching just now and found this on the Avast forums:

So basically Avast has some 'rating' formula that is largely broken if an add-on has a relatively small install base and isn't available on the official mozilla site.

You can just tell browser cleanup to ignore it but my personal recommendation is to not use that part of Avast.

Not a huge expert on computers but I think it is safe to say that Avast actually falls into the category of potentially unwanted programs. In that it uses system resources but doesn't have any benefits for the user.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

[url=]Beta 7[.1] of restartless SALR with tab-based preferences is available![/url]
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New since beta 6: Lots of behind-the-scenes stuff. Among other things, the SA Menu (and toolbar button menu) code got shifted around and some initial work on cleaning it up, so please try to test those if possible to make sure they're still behaving.

If you encounter some kind of extension- or browser-breaking problem and you want to switch back to the last release version, that's here.

astral fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 26, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The pin/unpin forum settings under "Menus" doesn't seem to work for me after the update. I can add a separator, url and star menu but I can't carry out any other operations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm not sure if I've developed a case of the stupids here, but I can't seem to update my version.

I download the file, open the extension tab and drag and drop as I've done dozens of times before. But all that happens is that another version of the file appears on my desktop as "salastread_v3.0.0-beta.7.1 (1).xpi".

So I tried unpacking it with 7-zip and using the "load unpacked extnesion" button. But then I get:

quote:

Failed to load extension from: ~\Desktop\salr
Manifest file is missing or unreadable.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
What happens if you try downloading 7.0 from earlier up the thread?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No, it was me being stupid. This is what happens when I can't sleep and browse the forums at 3am.

I had Chrome open, not Firefox :eng99:

I did actually think to myself, hey they're bringing the same features over to Chrome that the Firefox SALR just brought in.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dodoman posted:

The pin/unpin forum settings under "Menus" doesn't seem to work for me after the update. I can add a separator, url and star menu but I can't carry out any other operations.

Do you have "Use submenus for forum categories" unchecked? It's old, poorly-documented behavior but according to the code that's supposed to disable the pinned forums/threads stuff showing up in the menu entirely but, strangely, only seems to disable part of the forum/thread-pinning UI. Cleaning that up is definitely on the short-term to-do list. (Note: For now, it looks like changing the 'use submenus' preference does not take visible effect in the menus until the next menu rebuild; easiest way to trigger one is to restart the browser or simply disable/re-enable SALR on the Add-ons page).

Edit: There also seems to be a flaw in the logic where if you have the SA menu itself disabled (but want to set some settings for the toolbar menu), other options are disabled that shouldn't be.

Edit 2: Fixed the bugs I described for next pre-release version.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm not sure if I've developed a case of the stupids here, but I can't seem to update my version.

I download the file, open the extension tab and drag and drop as I've done dozens of times before. But all that happens is that another version of the file appears on my desktop as "salastread_v3.0.0-beta.7.1 (1).xpi".

So I tried unpacking it with 7-zip and using the "load unpacked extnesion" button. But then I get:

I know this wasn't your problem but it's a good opportunity for me to note that these pre-release builds can simply be clicked in this thread to (prompt to) install!

After I rework the extension deployment stuff, the same will be true for release builds. :toot:

astral fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 26, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Important! Make sure to download this update ASAP if you downloaded prerelease 7. Otherwise, it might accidentally 'upgrade' to the pre-restartless version. I didn't notice right away that the new setup added a 'v' before the actual version in Firefox, which breaks version comparing.

Other than that this build fixes several style-related preferences not applying their changes immediately.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The vertical alignment for the content of the Author/Replies/Views/Rating columns in the User Control Panel seems to have gone wonky with the latest patch.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Dark One posted:

The vertical alignment for the content of the Author/Replies/Views/Rating columns in the User Control Panel seems to have gone wonky with the latest patch.

There's some new forum css for some reason that shrinks stuff; it wasn't SALR's doing. :ughh: I was completely wrong and know exactly what caused this, and it was entirely my fault. An error snuck in there in my rush to post something that wouldn't downgrade; sorry about that. Fixed in the next beta. Thanks!

astral fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 26, 2015

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

astral posted:

There's some new forum css for some reason that shrinks stuff; it wasn't SALR's doing.
It seems to go away when SALR is disabled though.

I'm also seeing this on the main index:

Otherwise everything is working fine and the new features are nice.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Swilo posted:

It seems to go away when SALR is disabled though.

I'm also seeing this on the main index:

Otherwise everything is working fine and the new features are nice.
Yeah I'm seeing this too, but puzzlingly not the alignment issues. That stuff is still centered vertically for me.

I also had the accidental automatic downgrade going, so thanks for fixing that. It was very confusing.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
As long as you're doing a big update, I might as well throw in a little thing that's been bothering me. Since the forums changed fonts, the Shrink Large Custom Title Text feature has been shrinking some regular-sized texts.

It also happens with other people, for example on this page: The Dark One, ryanbruce, Dodoman, syscall girl, & ruarc. But not with Gorilla Salad or astral.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 26, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 8 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is here.

new since beta 7 posted:

• Fixed versioning system so that accidental downgrades won't ever be a thing again.
  • Fixed several style-related options not taking effect right away after changing the preference in tab-based preferences.
  • Fixed style error caused by an unintended change introduced in rushed beta 7.5.
  • Several behind-the-scenes optimizations for actions triggered by changing preferences.

vortmax posted:

As long as you're doing a big update, I might as well throw in a little thing that's been bothering me. Since the forums changed fonts, the Shrink Large Custom Title Text feature has been shrinking some regular-sized texts.

It also happens with other people, for example on this page: The Dark One, ryanbruce, Dodoman, syscall girl, & ruarc. But not with Gorilla Salad or astral.

I'll look into this; thanks.

Edit: Fixed for next beta version. Added an option to shrink all custom title text (default: off) while I was there.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 27, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just saying but I do like the current title shrinking behavior, so if you fix it, make it an option.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 9 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is here.

new since beta 8 posted:

• Fixed "Shrink 'Pages' list" preference being listed in the wrong pane.
  • Fixed centered titles mistakenly being shrunk by 'Shrink large custom title text' option.
  • Added 'Shrink all custom title text' option. (default: off)
  • Hide header/footer option now takes effect immediately from tab preferences.
  • Timgs in spoilers are now hidden when the spoiler isn't moused over (since the forums don't for some reason).
  • Made quick quote only scroll preview to end while you type if you are scrolled near the end of the edit box (previous: always scrolled to end while you type). Note: This may still need some tweaking, so let me know if it doesn't scroll down when it should or vice-versa.

Known issues:
Changing a color in the colors tab does not update the stylesheets immediately. Fixed in the next beta version.

Toggling 'Nested Menus' will cause the SA menu to appear even if disabled. Fixed in the next beta version.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 30, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For me, the betas aren't restartless. I installed 8 yesterday and restarted as expected, but when I installed 9 just now, I had to restart. Or is it only restartless when it updates automatically?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This morning, I noticed this weird thing when I right-click:

I've gone through the options and I don't have any sort of gestures or navigator turned on, and it doesn't happen on non-forums pages.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

hooah posted:

This morning, I noticed this weird thing when I right-click:

I've gone through the options and I don't have any sort of gestures or navigator turned on, and it doesn't happen on non-forums pages.

You sure you don't have this enabled?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

hooah posted:

For me, the betas aren't restartless. I installed 8 yesterday and restarted as expected, but when I installed 9 just now, I had to restart. Or is it only restartless when it updates automatically?

You probably had the beta version that accidentally had a lower version number than the stable version and it auto-updated to that thus causing you to need to restart when you updated to beta 9

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Dark One posted:

You sure you don't have this enabled?

Somehow I missed that. And either I'd never right-clicked in a thread before or the option got changed when I updated to the beta version.

FillInTheBlank posted:

You probably had the beta version that accidentally had a lower version number than the stable version and it auto-updated to that thus causing you to need to restart when you updated to beta 9

I thought it was beta 7 that had that problem? If it was 8, then that would explain it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Don't turn off the mouse gestures. They are the best.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 10 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is here.

new since beta 9 posted:

• Fair warning: There is a fair chance something broke this version thanks to some big frontend code restructuring. There will be one more major change like that, then some more testing, and finally restartless SALR will be ready for release! :toot:
  • Fixed user highlighting colors not applying in "Who posted?" links.
  • Fixed toggling nested menus causing SA menu to appear even if SA menu was disabled.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 11.2 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is here.

new since beta 10 posted:

• Fair warning: There is a chance something broke in this or the previous version thanks to some big frontend code restructuring. This is the last change of that scale planned; after some more testing, restartless SALR will be ready for release! :toot:
  • Though it may have unintentionally broken something minor, these changes mean that SALR ought to be more stable overall now than previous betas.

See previous posts for older notes. Please report any issues, including anything which may still be broken in e10s/multi-process Firefox.

Known issue: Ignoring/starring threads can have some issues. They're fixed for the next beta version.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 31, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Would it be possible to add a button to the bookmarked threads list/user CP to open all unread threads in new tabs? There's SAplusplus, a Greasemonkey script, which does that, but it fucks up tab behavior more often than not.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Can you elaborate when you say SAplusplus fucks up tab behavior? I wrote/maintain that and use it all the time without problems. Maybe some interaction with some particular settings or another plugin?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
For me, it just started a few days ago, when I do Open unread threads in new tabs button on the control panel. When I close the tab I'm reading it will jump to the first tab in the row, the control panel, where before it would just close and go to the next one in the row.

Only addons and scripts I have at SA++, SALR, uBlock and Greasemonkey.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
That behavior sounds very similar to how Chrome (at least mobile) would works. Close a tab, it'll shoot you back to the tab that spawned it.

What happens if control panel isn't the first tab on the window? Try loading control panel on a page with other tabs already on it. Does closing a tab return you to the control panel or the first tab of the window?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

calandryll posted:

For me, it just started a few days ago, when I do Open unread threads in new tabs button on the control panel. When I close the tab I'm reading it will jump to the first tab in the row, the control panel, where before it would just close and go to the next one in the row.
This might be a GreaseMonkey thing. About a month ago they did a big refactor in advance of Firefox making some major under-the-hood changes that more cleanly separate tabs, and it broke a bunch of stuff. Specifically, if you Open In New Tab (in any GM script, not just SA++) then Firefox doesn't add it to the history list. If you close the tab and then hit Ctrl-Shift-T to re-open it, you get a completely different tab. I notice that GM updated to 3.2 on May 29, but I haven't noticed any change in behavior so I don't think it's fixed yet.

Edit: This is the issue and its claimed to be fixed in the GM 3.2 Changelog, but someone reported it's still broken.

minato fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 4, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm. I haven't been using SA++ for a few months now, so the recent refactoring is unlikely to be the problem. But I saw the same behavior that calandryll mentioned.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

minato posted:

This might be a GreaseMonkey thing. About a month ago they did a big refactor in advance of Firefox making some major under-the-hood changes that more cleanly separate tabs, and it broke a bunch of stuff. Specifically, if you Open In New Tab (in any GM script, not just SA++) then Firefox doesn't add it to the history list. If you close the tab and then hit Ctrl-Shift-T to re-open it, you get a completely different tab. I notice that GM updated to 3.2 on May 29, but I haven't noticed any change in behavior so I don't think it's fixed yet.

Edit: This is the issue and its claimed to be fixed in the GM 3.2 Changelog, but someone reported it's still broken.

I would say that was when I started noticing the problem. It also changed the focus as well, a few months ago there was a change that it would change to the newest tab opened, whereas before it stay on the control panel. Now it's back to staying on the control panel again.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
With the current beta 11.2 if I click quick-quote/reply and then change page in a thread submitting my post will not work unless I close the broken quick-quote/reply window and open a new one on the new page and submit there.

Win7/FF 36.0.4

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Hot off the digital presses, here's Beta 12 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR.

new since beta 11.2 posted:

• Added support to the video embedder for m.youtube.com links.
  • SALR's timer has been made significantly more efficient.
  • Fixed several bugs related to ignoring/SALR-starring not working properly in certain cases when a thread was already in the database.
  • Fixed some toolbar button display issues in older (pre-Australis) versions of Firefox.
  • Added experimental option to automatically convert imgur gifs to embedded video.
    • This option is disabled by default and can be enabled in the "Images" preference pane.
    • Gif-heavy pages will still take a little while to load. I'll be looking into if and how this might be optimized - already have a couple ideas (if I can remove the link step, and I should be able to, that should significantly cut down on the page reflows).
    • Initial "Do we need to bother imgur with a request?" detection is based on image URL, so for now images that are mis-linked as things like ".gif?1" will not be picked up.
    • Results are cached until next browser restart to reduce network requests.
    • A queue exists to prevent multiple API requests for the same gif e.g. if it's quoted.
    • The initial implementation is using imgur's public v2 API-which is deprecated-but it lacks a global request limit. With the current implementation, there is a per-user (likely per-IP) limit, but it does seem quite high - I only was able to reach it after a lot of testing including loading probably over 15-20 pages in the GIF thread. If this somehow ends up being insufficient, I'll see about registering SALR with them again and see if they can't whitelist us so a handful of gif thread browsers wouldn't spoil it for everyone.
    • You can tell if you've hit the rate limit if gifs aren't being converted to video and your browser console (ctrl+shift+J) shows a lot of "403 Forbidden" entries for imgur. The rate limit will stop gifs from being converted for an hour.
    • If this works out, support for other sites can be added.

See previous posts for older notes. Please report any issues, including anything which may still be broken in e10s/multi-process Firefox.

hooah posted:

Would it be possible to add a button to the bookmarked threads list/user CP to open all unread threads in new tabs? There's SAplusplus, a Greasemonkey script, which does that, but it fucks up tab behavior more often than not.

This has been asked a lot over the years, and historically the answer has been to use a greasemonkey script. If greasemonkey doesn't fix the tab stuff after a few months, I'll consider it, but I do have faith in their ability to find a working solution.

FillInTheBlank posted:

With the current beta 11.2 if I click quick-quote/reply and then change page in a thread submitting my post will not work unless I close the broken quick-quote/reply window and open a new one on the new page and submit there.

Win7/FF 36.0.4

If the bottom of the quick quote says "Detached" after leaving that original page, that's expected behavior (yeah, I know it's not ideal - a total rework of quick quote is planned eventually). One thing you can do to reattach it without having to close+reopen the quick window is to hit the quote button on a post on the new page; that will reattach the quick quote window + append the quote to the edit box. You may or may not need to make sure the thread you're reattaching to is still the thread you want to reply to - I'd have to check the code to see if it keeps the old thread ID or imports the new one.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

^^ Well, there you go.

FillInTheBlank posted:

Win7/FF 36.0.4
Are you sure it ever worked a different way? I think you always had to leave the page where you originally clicked the quote/reply button open or the quick reply window would end up orphaned.

• Locked thread