Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Entropist posted:

Not this kind of bread, though! :v:

I lived in a village near Saarbrücken. I'm sure I would have been able to find something nice, but usually I only had time to go to the supermarket. I tried a few different breads from a bakery in the beginning (just from picking them out from a shelf behind the counter, there were no labels) and they were all variations on the same theme. That's a better option than the supermarket though, it's true, and I did like that some supermarkets had built-in bakeries. Just not where I lived.

Something like this, though usually with a hard and darker crust. Too dense!

That's not even close to the densest German bread. And it's actually super delicious, in contrast to toast or other white bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Entropist posted:

Not this kind of bread, though! :v:

I lived in a village near Saarbrücken. I'm sure I would have been able to find something nice, but usually I only had time to go to the supermarket. I tried a few different breads from a bakery in the beginning (just from picking them out from a shelf behind the counter, there were no labels) and they were all variations on the same theme. That's a better option than the supermarket though, it's true, and I did like that some supermarkets had built-in bakeries. Just not where I lived.

Something like this, though usually with a hard and darker crust. Too dense!

This is dense bread:

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
Great thread. I've been perusing it as I plan a three week trip to Germany this summer.

Right now, it seems like a good idea to begin in the south and move north over the course of the trip. I'd like to begin with some hiking in the Alps, since I understand there is a really fantastic network of trails and huts available for travelers.

Would anyone like to share their own experiences in the German (or Austrian) Alps? Can anyone recommend an English resource with information that might help me plan a route? Ideally, I'm searching for a one that will provide 4-6 days of easy to moderate hiking with an endpoint that will place my group within reach of Munich.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
You might want to check out the "Hohe Tauern" national park in Austria. http://www.nationalparkerlebnis.at/en/
It's a bit south of Salzburg - which is worth a visit by itself - and from there it's just a short way to Munich.

It depends a lot on what you consider moderate hiking, though, alpine hiking is a bit different from flat lands.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

elwood posted:

This is dense bread:

That's not a brot.

This is a brot:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's not a brot.

This is a brot:

At first I thought you went all Catholic on us and posted a picture of a bunch of hosts

...then I realised you apparently just used a picture of some cork trivets instead. Seriously, what is that, some sort of bread-in-a-jar? :psyduck:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Westphalian supremacy.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

System Metternich posted:

At first I thought you went all Catholic on us and posted a picture of a bunch of hosts

...then I realised you apparently just used a picture of some cork trivets instead. Seriously, what is that, some sort of bread-in-a-jar? :psyduck:

Pumpernickel sometimes comes in cans.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Last Transmission posted:

Pumpernickel sometimes comes in cans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeCkAgEvL4

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Zazamoot posted:

Great thread. I've been perusing it as I plan a three week trip to Germany this summer.

Right now, it seems like a good idea to begin in the south and move north over the course of the trip. I'd like to begin with some hiking in the Alps, since I understand there is a really fantastic network of trails and huts available for travelers.

Would anyone like to share their own experiences in the German (or Austrian) Alps? Can anyone recommend an English resource with information that might help me plan a route? Ideally, I'm searching for a one that will provide 4-6 days of easy to moderate hiking with an endpoint that will place my group within reach of Munich.

I never personally hiked that trail, but I heard a lot of good things about it. You can either simply do it on your own or book a "tour" which means your luggage gets transported from prebooked hotels to the next. (A few camping sites available, too.)

Black Forest "Schluchtensteig" - http://www.schluchtensteig.de/pdf/info/en_schluchtensteiginfo.pdf , http://www.schluchtensteig.de/ (select English translation on the page)
A slideshow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UKjU_8G_FU

Also don't miss the Rhine Falls ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine_Falls ) while you're in the area.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Is there any hope for me and my 9 friends to get a table reservation in a tent at the Stuttgart Frühlingsfest on this Saturday evening?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

dopepope posted:

Is there any hope for me and my 9 friends to get a table reservation in a tent at the Stuttgart Frühlingsfest on this Saturday evening?

Try wasn wirt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.rbb-online.de/kultur/beitrag/2015/04/Jonny-K-Musical-Gedenken-Premiere.html

quote:

Der Tod von Jonny K. hatte bundesweit für Entsetzen gesorgt: Der 20-Jährige starb im Oktober 2012 nach einer Prügelei am Alexanderplatz. Das Musical "I am Jonny" soll nun an das kurze Leben des jungen Mannes erinnern - und daran, dass es jeden hätte treffen können.
[...]
Das Stück soll nicht in erster Linie den tragischen Tod von Jonny thematisieren, sondern sein Leben erzählen, betont seine Schwester, die in Videoeinblendungen zu sehen sein wird. Erzählt wird sein Leben entlang der Lieder, die ihm etwas bedeutet haben. Darunter ist auch das Lied "Kiss from a Rose" von Seal. "Das war Jonnys erstes Lieblingslied", erinnert sich Tina K. "Er hatte sich noch nie bewegt zu Musik, aber als das im Fernsehen lief, wippte er rum und trällerte plötzlich die ganze Zeit."
:wtc:

If it could have been anyone, I think it's important for every one of us to take precautions, and I'd like to make a binding statement that in the event of my death by random violence I would like to be remembered in a different way than some dance troupe performing my favourite songs from when I was six years old.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

My Lovely Horse posted:

http://www.rbb-online.de/kultur/beitrag/2015/04/Jonny-K-Musical-Gedenken-Premiere.html

:wtc:

If it could have been anyone, I think it's important for every one of us to take precautions, and I'd like to make a binding statement that in the event of my death by random violence I would like to be remembered in a different way than some dance troupe performing my favourite songs from when I was six years old.

You shut your mouth, I want to be remembered by a troupe dancing to the Ducktales Intro :colbert:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I was so ready to serve my country. But the meat appraisal returned me as a T3 grade right before it got removed entirely.

Last Transmission fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 13, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On reflection: probably a better deal than being remembered by the music you liked when you were 11-15.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Roxette, Crowded House...I think I could live (die) with that.

elwood fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 13, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

I just watched most of that video, and half an hour later I'm still laughing about it. That guy's enthusiasm for a loving MRE coupled with his complete lack of German language skills is just absolutely hilarious.

He tries to eat the bread with a spoon until he finds out that it's sliced.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Last Transmission posted:

I was so ready to serve my country. But the meat appraisal returned me as a T3 grade right before it got removed entirely.

T5 or go home!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

niethan posted:

Try wasn wirt
I wasn't able to find a reservation there either, but according to coworkers, we should have a good chance at getting a table in one of the tents if we arrive early enough.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I changed my phone contract in an o2 store this afternoon. After I got home, I saw that if I had done it online, on average, the monthly cost would be a whole 2 euros cheaper. I know that for online purchases there is a two week grace period to cancel, but since I did it in person am I stuck or do I have like 24 hours to call o2 and cancel it?

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 19, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Gold and a Pager posted:

I changed my phone contract in an o2 store this afternoon. After I got home, I saw that if I had done it online, on average, the monthly cost would be a whole 2 euros cheaper. I know that for online purchases there is a two week grace period to cancel, but since I did it in person am I stuck or do I have like 24 hours to call o2 and cancel it?

I'd say you are sol

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gold and a Pager posted:

You are stuck with it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm staying in Berlin until maybe mid-June. Living with my girlfriend who has a job here; I'm waiting for a job to start in Liberia, and if that falls through I'll either get a job with an NGO based in Berlin, or say fuckit and finally move (resignedly) back to DC.

I've already found a few cool niche musical things, including a Shape Note participatory singing group (19th C. American acapella harmony), but given how artsy this city is I want to find some cool obscure stuff. I think what I'm mainly looking for is electronica, but not "take molly and wave glowsticks around" stuff, but more like "fold arms and nod sagely as performer executes competent maneuver on a 1993 Casio LX3, and then inserts microntonal 7/8 backbeat loop". What's the best way to find artsy/experimental music in this town?

Overall been successful; in my first couple days I managed to acquire a refurbished vintage East German single-speed bicycle, a three-row diatonic accordion from a flea market, and start stuffing myself with currywurst. I feel dumb for not speaking German, but the fact that I speak Turkish okay assuages that, and I hear a butt-ton of French spoken around me.

If any Germany goons want to grab a beer, give me a shout. I'm mainly into weird music stuff (folk and experimental), politics and foreign policy stuff (worked in DC for years as an international affairs and military analyst), and general foodie.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm staying in Berlin until maybe mid-June. Living with my girlfriend who has a job here; I'm waiting for a job to start in Liberia, and if that falls through I'll either get a job with an NGO based in Berlin, or say fuckit and finally move (resignedly) back to DC.

I've already found a few cool niche musical things, including a Shape Note participatory singing group (19th C. American acapella harmony), but given how artsy this city is I want to find some cool obscure stuff. I think what I'm mainly looking for is electronica, but not "take molly and wave glowsticks around" stuff, but more like "fold arms and nod sagely as performer executes competent maneuver on a 1993 Casio LX3, and then inserts microntonal 7/8 backbeat loop". What's the best way to find artsy/experimental music in this town?

Overall been successful; in my first couple days I managed to acquire a refurbished vintage East German single-speed bicycle, a three-row diatonic accordion from a flea market, and start stuffing myself with currywurst. I feel dumb for not speaking German, but the fact that I speak Turkish okay assuages that, and I hear a butt-ton of French spoken around me.

If any Germany goons want to grab a beer, give me a shout. I'm mainly into weird music stuff (folk and experimental), politics and foreign policy stuff (worked in DC for years as an international affairs and military analyst), and general foodie.

I'll be in Berlin from the 22 - 28th of June traveling with a friend of mine. It will be the first time I'll be in a country where I don't know one bit of the language, so I guess I'm really just looking for reassurance I won't have any issues in dealing with day-to-day stuff like buying food or tickets. Thought it's good to hear French is common (not surprising), then again I'm better at understanding than speaking so I don't know how much that will help.

Also can you, or someone, give me a run down on using the Berlin metro system? is there a weekly pass that gives you unlimited travel I should buy? Or is it a pre-pay system?

And on a slightly unrelated note..correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the goon who posted about doing volunteer work to get signatures for the Initiative 71 bill?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jomo posted:

I'll be in Berlin from the 22 - 28th of June traveling with a friend of mine. It will be the first time I'll be in a country where I don't know one bit of the language, so I guess I'm really just looking for reassurance I won't have any issues in dealing with day-to-day stuff like buying food or tickets. Thought it's good to hear French is common (not surprising), then again I'm better at understanding than speaking so I don't know how much that will help.

Also can you, or someone, give me a run down on using the Berlin metro system? is there a weekly pass that gives you unlimited travel I should buy? Or is it a pre-pay system?

And on a slightly unrelated note..correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the goon who posted about doing volunteer work to get signatures for the Initiative 71 bill?

You don't need to speak a word of German in Berlin.

Berlin's public transport is pretty easy. You have four systems: S-Bahn, U-Bahn, bus, and tram. All of them use the same ticket though. If you're staying within the city proper, you'll want to buy a weekly ticket in the AB zone. Berlin isn't like London or other major cities that have turnstyles to enter the U-Bahn stations, instead you just board the train directly. Make sure you keep the ticket with you though, as its a fifty euro fine if you're caught without one.

There's a few good smartphone apps for navigating public transport that makes it dead simple. I recommend Öffi for Android.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Google maps transit works pretty well too, I prefer it to the actual BVG app.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah honestly all of the Berlin public transit is pretty well recorded in Google maps so you can just use the Google maps app. The same is not true in Frankfurt, where just some of the S-Bahn lines are on Google.

Pale Sickly Trevor
Sep 28, 2001

Drone posted:

Berlin's public transport is pretty easy. You have four systems: S-Bahn, U-Bahn, bus, and tram. All of them use the same ticket though. If you're staying within the city proper, you'll want to buy a weekly ticket in the AB zone. Berlin isn't like London or other major cities that have turnstyles to enter the U-Bahn stations, instead you just board the train directly. Make sure you keep the ticket with you though, as its a fifty euro fine if you're caught without one.

There's a few good smartphone apps for navigating public transport that makes it dead simple. I recommend Öffi for Android.

Don't forget to validate your ticket at one of the little validation machines, either on the train/tram or in a station.

i like the "Here" app for offline maps in Berlin w/good transit routing on iphone

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Drone posted:

You don't need to speak a word of German in Berlin.

As an English teacher pondering a move there, I can sadly confirm this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Going on a trip to Europe with family (wife and three year old son) first half of July, first Copenhagen, then Munich, then Lübeck*, and I'm looking for things to do in Munich (suggestions for Lübeck and Copenhagen are welcome too). My wife is big into (classical) music things, as she's currently doing a master's in french horn performance, and obviously kid-friendly stuff would be good. So far for Munich all I have planned is maybe doing Mike's Bike Tours, and wandering around the area we'll be staying at (we're staying with a friend who lives near the park that used to be the old Munich airport).

Breadchat has reminded me that overall I don't think America is very good at bread, so I will probably be trying some different varieties in Germany (wife likes dark bread). Recommended apps for transit would be welcome too, by default I'm guessing I'll just use google maps and then improvise where that doesn't work.

* I realize Lübeck seems like a random choice. The main reason actually is that I work at Google and there's a Google dev office here (they make Snapseed), and I'm considering transferring to a mainland European office at some point in the future; there's also a sizable dev office in Munich. No dev office in Copenhagen though, we're going through there because Norwegian air is relatively cheap and we like biking.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you like biking you probably should go to Münster :v:

For Lübeck though I guess the sea is close (Rostock-Warnemünde etc.) and they're famous for Marzipan.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Lübeck is an extraordinarily beautiful city, so it's not at all an odd choice. It's not that big though, so you won't need a lot of time there. If you like Marzipan, buy it in Lübeck - they say it's the best.

When it comes to classical music, Munich is actually one of the better places in the world. They have three world class orchestras and in July there is the Munich Opera Festival, so there will be a lot going on during that time.

At July 11 and 12 there is "Klassik am Odeonsplatz" which is one of Germany's biggest classical open-air events. It usually gets publicly televised and it always features a more popular selection of pieces. This year the first concert (July 11) is with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra (de Falla, Prokofiev, Debussy and Ravel) and the second (July 12) is with the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra (Peer Gynt, Romeo and Juliet, Carmina Burana). Unfortunately, it's also probably the most expensive classical music event in Munich (Tickets for classical concerts are usually subsidised; hence, they're often rather cheap in Germany), and booking the tickets as soon as possible is certainly necessary.
Regular concerts with the Munich Philharmonics are July 2 and July 3 in the Gasteig Concert Hall. The Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra plays on the same days in the Herkulessaal. With their chamber orchestra they play a smaller concert on July 5.
The Bavarian State Opera does concerts, recitals and operas almost every day during the Opera Festival (starting this month and ending at the end of July) and they're usually all of very high quality.

As you see, there is a wide range of possibilites, not even counting all the smaller stuff that is going on in the University of Music and with the other smaller orchestras, you just have to choose. :banjo:

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I'm actually visiting Munich right now with my wife [no kinder], and we had a ball just lounging around in the English gardens. My wife claims it's the largest urban park in the world, and I can't argue with her. Very pretty, family friendly, plenty of food available in the biergartens, and a good time for several hours.

Less family friendly is the haufbrauhaus but they do have live music, and if you get a reservation for the upstairs before 630 you can see a live show with house band. We didn't have a reservation, but just stumbled in there refusing to acknowledge German and the fact that a reservation was "required" and got serviced just fine last night. Food was pretty decent.

Dachau isn't too far from the city, has ample kid space, and was very interesting, but that's also kind of a downer if concentration camps aren't up your alley.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zwille posted:

If you like biking you probably should go to Münster :v:
Unfortunately, being American means I don't get a ton of vacation time, so I can't see all the cities I'd like to. As it is, I'll be relying on a week of 'comp time' that I acquired from working heavy overtime over the last few months. One reason why I think it'd be cool to transfer overseas is that it'd be a lot easier to visit all the places in Europe I'd love to see in terms of both proximity and amount of vacation time.

quote:

For Lübeck though I guess the sea is close (Rostock-Warnemünde etc.) and they're famous for Marzipan.
Yeah I knew about the Marzipan thing. Only getting a few days in Lübeck so I don't know if I can go that far out of the way but I'll take a look.

Honj Steak posted:

Lübeck is an extraordinarily beautiful city, so it's not at all an odd choice. It's not that big though, so you won't need a lot of time there. If you like Marzipan, buy it in Lübeck - they say it's the best.
Luckily Lübeck's music festival is starting just as we arrive there, the wife has already picked out a couple events to go to. We're also fine just relaxing a bit there.

quote:

When it comes to classical music, Munich is actually one of the better places in the world. They have three world class orchestras and in July there is the Munich Opera Festival, so there will be a lot going on during that time.

At July 11 and 12 there is "Klassik am Odeonsplatz" which is one of Germany's biggest classical open-air events. It usually gets publicly televised and it always features a more popular selection of pieces. This year the first concert (July 11) is with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra (de Falla, Prokofiev, Debussy and Ravel) and the second (July 12) is with the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra (Peer Gynt, Romeo and Juliet, Carmina Burana). Unfortunately, it's also probably the most expensive classical music event in Munich (Tickets for classical concerts are usually subsidised; hence, they're often rather cheap in Germany), and booking the tickets as soon as possible is certainly necessary.
Regular concerts with the Munich Philharmonics are July 2 and July 3 in the Gasteig Concert Hall. The Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra plays on the same days in the Herkulessaal. With their chamber orchestra they play a smaller concert on July 5.
The Bavarian State Opera does concerts, recitals and operas almost every day during the Opera Festival (starting this month and ending at the end of July) and they're usually all of very high quality.

As you see, there is a wide range of possibilites, not even counting all the smaller stuff that is going on in the University of Music and with the other smaller orchestras, you just have to choose. :banjo:
Wow, thanks! This is very useful. We're in Munich starting the morning of Sunday, July 5, and then leave Thursday night July 9 (both times taking night train to/from Hamburg), so it sounds like most of those we can't do, but I'll see about getting tickets to the chamber orchestra for sure, and I'll also look into the Opera Festival.

Dead Pressed posted:

I'm actually visiting Munich right now with my wife [no kinder], and we had a ball just lounging around in the English gardens. My wife claims it's the largest urban park in the world, and I can't argue with her. Very pretty, family friendly, plenty of food available in the biergartens, and a good time for several hours.

Less family friendly is the haufbrauhaus but they do have live music, and if you get a reservation for the upstairs before 630 you can see a live show with house band. We didn't have a reservation, but just stumbled in there refusing to acknowledge German and the fact that a reservation was "required" and got serviced just fine last night. Food was pretty decent.
These both sound like good ideas. I'll definitely look into the English gardens at least.

quote:

Dachau isn't too far from the city, has ample kid space, and was very interesting, but that's also kind of a downer if concentration camps aren't up your alley.
Haha yeah, that might have to wait until we (hopefully) live somewhere in Europe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cicero posted:

* I realize Lübeck seems like a random choice. The main reason actually is that I work at Google and there's a Google dev office here (they make Snapseed), and I'm considering transferring to a mainland European office at some point in the future; there's also a sizable dev office in Munich. No dev office in Copenhagen though, we're going through there because Norwegian air is relatively cheap and we like biking.

I can't add anything useful that the other posters haven't already posted, but you do realize that Copenhagen is not in Norway?

Also, I assume you are mainly going by plane, but if not, then going from Copenhagen to Munich and then to Lübeck would be strange. Copenhagen and Lübeck are relatively close to each other, while Munich is at the other end of Germany.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I can't add anything useful that the other posters haven't already posted, but you do realize that Copenhagen is not in Norway?

Presumably he meant the airline.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Yup, Copenhagen is one of their hubs, and they fly out from an airport close to me (Oakland).

quote:

Also, I assume you are mainly going by plane, but if not, then going from Copenhagen to Munich and then to Lübeck would be strange. Copenhagen and Lübeck are relatively close to each other, while Munich is at the other end of Germany.
Going by train once we're in Europe. And yeah I know it's somewhat far, but it's worth it for me to visit my friend and the dev office in Munich. Luckily with the night train we can save some daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cicero posted:

Going on a trip to Europe with family (wife and three year old son) first half of July, first Copenhagen, then Munich, then Lübeck*, and I'm looking for things to do in Munich (suggestions for Lübeck and Copenhagen are welcome too). My wife is big into (classical) music things, as she's currently doing a master's in french horn performance, and obviously kid-friendly stuff would be good. So far for Munich all I have planned is maybe doing Mike's Bike Tours, and wandering around the area we'll be staying at (we're staying with a friend who lives near the park that used to be the old Munich airport).

Breadchat has reminded me that overall I don't think America is very good at bread, so I will probably be trying some different varieties in Germany (wife likes dark bread). Recommended apps for transit would be welcome too, by default I'm guessing I'll just use google maps and then improvise where that doesn't work.

Mhm, not sure about child-friendly things in Copenhagen, or rather, what would be particularly interesting for a three year old. Tivoli is kind of cool, but he is probably not quite old enough for most (any?) of the rides. There is always the beach on Amager, I suppose, which is really rather nice, especially if you get decent weather. Depending on how much time you have, Dyrehavsbakken (Bakken) is a nice, very old amusement park slightly north of Copenhagen. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on in the concert house, and the Royal Theatre hasn't put up its shows for July yet. Museums etc. are probably only mildly interesting with a small child, but if you want to see something, the National Museum has some neat things about Vikings etc., and the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek has some of the big impressionists, as well as an overall very lovely building, and some awesome Rodin sculptures. It used to be free entry on Sundays, but it seems that has shifted now, and Tuesdays are free.

Other than that, if the weather is halfway alright, you can probably spend quite a bit of time simply wandering around. Rosenborg Slot and Amalienborg are within walkable distance from each other, the former has a pretty surrounding park, the latter is the queen's residence and next to the harbour. If you keep walking from there, you can have a look at the Little Mermaid, and the Kastellet on the way back into town. Christianshavn is another nice area that is pretty nice for a stroll, though depending on your leanings etc., you might want to skip Christiana. I don't know whether Copenhagen's zoo is interesting or whether it is worth a visit at all.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know, and I'll try to help.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 2, 2015