Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Any of you guys had a partial payment for a month despite being full-time but switching between Spring and Summer Quarters/semesters? I did the math and it looks like I was paid out from 1 June to 13, but not the remainder of the month where I've been full-time for the Summer quarter.

Edit: I'm thinking the school reported to the VA that I attended from 1-13 June so the VA only is aware of that. I'm assuming I'll get the remainder of the June money on 1 August.

VASUDUS HELP ME

I'm in the same boat. Taking two 12-week summer classes and one 8-week. Got about a dozen confirmation letters over the entire month. It's July 1st and nothing in my bank. Called the hotline and they said they processed a payment of $1,000 on the 27th (normally $1,300 but I owed $300 from an over payment from spring). I did get $200 on June 27th and one of the letters said I was only certified for June 1-12 so maybe this is the result?

I hope this gets settled soon-ish.

e: 28 minutes and 30 seconds on the phone later, the payment was processed on Friday and will be deposited Monday the 7th because it takes a week for a direct deposit to occur, apparently. Time to dust off the kneepads and see what I can do about rent.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

al-azad posted:

I'm in the same boat. Taking two 12-week summer classes and one 8-week. Got about a dozen confirmation letters over the entire month. It's July 1st and nothing in my bank. Called the hotline and they said they processed a payment of $1,000 on the 27th (normally $1,300 but I owed $300 from an over payment from spring). I did get $200 on June 27th and one of the letters said I was only certified for June 1-12 so maybe this is the result?

I hope this gets settled soon-ish.

e: 28 minutes and 30 seconds on the phone later, the payment was processed on Friday and will be deposited Monday the 7th because it takes a week for a direct deposit to occur, apparently. Time to dust off the kneepads and see what I can do about rent.

This is my situation as well, they paid me for the end of my short session which finished after one week in June but haven't paid me for the rest of June after sending me a ton of mail saying it was covered. I haven't called yet but I assume it's similar to you where the payment is just coming later.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea I'll be getting paid later. It's common when a semester/quarter ends and another one begins in the same month. At least that's what the school told me this morning.

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
When should I start bothering the VA in regard to my VONAPP submitted 16 May 14 about going to school this fall? SHortly after I submitted it, I ended up having to submit a 22-1995 (I ended up being denied admission to a local private college in town, so I changed it to reflect the change to a nearby state college) and was informed via the confirmation message that the VA branch in OK would be contacting me soon concerning this application. It's been almost a month and I haven't heard jack diddly squat from anyone. This makes me worried because I am supposed to be starting school at the end of August and would like to not be told to piss off due to not having paid tuition.

Also of note: If you're considering attending school in Florida but are worried about having to pay out-of-state tuition rates, fear no longer. Effective today, all verifiable veterans are eligible to pay the in-state tuition rates due to a bill signed a few months ago that is colloquially known as the Florida GI Bill. So far, all I've had to do is submit my DD214 along with other ID, but that may change. If it does, I'll keep you all posted.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It doesn't hurt to contact them. Anything involving filing changes is always a nightmare. Certification takes around 5ish weeks, so if you're starting in early/mid august you have like two weeks to avoid interruption in pay.

Also FYI you don't have to list where you are going on your application. That's for data purposes. They go by your actual certificate submitted by your school for their internal stuff.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The VA paid me a full months extra housing allowance during the spring semester and I got a letter saying they want it back. This isn't a big deal since I haven't gone out and just pissed away all my money, but I'm not sure if owing them money back prevents them from paying for my fall semester classes I'm about to register for.
The wording in the letter is:

quote:

If you are currently enrolled in classes, the debt will be withheld from any benefits you are due. Please be aware that if a debt still exists at the end of your current enrollment, the debt will be withheld from your last check for that semester regardless of previous payment arrangments.

To me it reads like they won't pay tuition or anything else until they get that money back. Can anyone confirm whether that is how it works?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They take a percentage. Exactly how much is up to your BAH rate and the amount they overpaid. In theory it shouldn't be more than 25% of your BAH until the debt is cleared.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Vasudus posted:

They take a percentage. Exactly how much is up to your BAH rate and the amount they overpaid. In theory it shouldn't be more than 25% of your BAH until the debt is cleared.

So they don't take any of it out of tuition?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

So they don't take any of it out of tuition?

No, that would be incredibly hosed up, even for the VA. It comes out of your BAH.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

It may not necessarily be a percentage. I was in the same situation once, paid an extra month, and next enrollment they took the entire debt back out of my BAH. So be aware you may not get BAH next payment.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Got the second chunk of BAH from the second summer session today. Weirdly spaced out but happy to have it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
So it's many pages later, and I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere, but I had a question about the MGIB and Post 9/11.

Now, I had asked before and I'm tracking that because I have 5 months of MGIB left, I have to use that up and then I'm eligible for 12 months of Post 9/11.

With the MGIB if you have even 1 day left at the beginning of a semester, you get benefits for that whole semester (Is that right, or is it 1 week, 1 month?). With the Post 9/11 GI Bill, do the same rules apply?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

So it's many pages later, and I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere, but I had a question about the MGIB and Post 9/11.

Now, I had asked before and I'm tracking that because I have 5 months of MGIB left, I have to use that up and then I'm eligible for 12 months of Post 9/11.

With the MGIB if you have even 1 day left at the beginning of a semester, you get benefits for that whole semester (Is that right, or is it 1 week, 1 month?). With the Post 9/11 GI Bill, do the same rules apply?

Yes. What your certifying official needs to do is certify you *to the day* to expend your MGIB, then you can apply for the 12mos of Post 9/11. Your certifying official will then retroactively certify you for Post 9/11 starting the day after your MGIB expired. It's a huge pain in the rear end but that's how you have to do it. In my three years as an official I had to do that a few times.

You only get 48 total months, so if your MGIB was extended for example, it would eat away at the 12mos Post 9/11 extension.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
So I am sitting on the GI Bill, waiting to see how much pell grant I qualify for and waiting to apply for the Voc Rehab.

Not sure how to ask but what is the best approach to make them all work for me. I was hoping to use voc rehab but the possibility of them determining what I do bothers me. I want to go into social work, if I sit with them and tell them will they work with me ?

I was undergoing treatment for Thyroid cancer, dealing with the VA and waiting on my disability rating. Kind of cutting it close for the fall semester but If I have to start in the Spring I'd be ok. Again, I just would like some input on how you all made it work for you to maximize your benefits and coverage time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

So I am sitting on the GI Bill, waiting to see how much pell grant I qualify for and waiting to apply for the Voc Rehab.

Not sure how to ask but what is the best approach to make them all work for me. I was hoping to use voc rehab but the possibility of them determining what I do bothers me. I want to go into social work, if I sit with them and tell them will they work with me ?

I was undergoing treatment for Thyroid cancer, dealing with the VA and waiting on my disability rating. Kind of cutting it close for the fall semester but If I have to start in the Spring I'd be ok. Again, I just would like some input on how you all made it work for you to maximize your benefits and coverage time.

Get put on Voc Rehab. Talk to your counselor about what you want to do, and why.

Once you're approved for it, submit to your counselor your Certificate of Eligibility for your Post 9/11 GI Bill so you can get the BAH of Post 9/11 and the support of Voc Rehaab.

Congrats, you've won the college finance game at that point.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm starting classes (again) in August. Classes are covered by my FSA. I've got 100% for 9/11.

My classes are $250 per credit and I'm going full time, so $3000 for the semester.
Aside from BAH, what type of income am I looking to make? What type of payment schedule?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm starting classes (again) in August. Classes are covered by my FSA. I've got 100% for 9/11.

My classes are $250 per credit and I'm going full time, so $3000 for the semester.
Aside from BAH, what type of income am I looking to make? What type of payment schedule?

Pell grants, federal loans, turning tricks.

Pell grants and loans are dispersed evenly during the academic year. Sucking a john's dick pays on the spot.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Vasudus posted:

Get put on Voc Rehab. Talk to your counselor about what you want to do, and why.

Once you're approved for it, submit to your counselor your Certificate of Eligibility for your Post 9/11 GI Bill so you can get the BAH of Post 9/11 and the support of Voc Rehaab.

Congrats, you've won the college finance game at that point.

Thank you for the quick reply. Are the counselors flexible ? The vet rep at my college made them seem like after I take a test they go "gently caress you being a social worker, you're going to be a garbage truck driver....NEXT"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Thank you for the quick reply. Are the counselors flexible ? The vet rep at my college made them seem like after I take a test they go "gently caress you being a social worker, you're going to be a garbage truck driver....NEXT"

Generally speaking, they review your background, your disabilities listed with the VA, and your stated goal. Then they work with you to obtain that goal.

If you want to be a steelworker and you're currently rated for having a herniated disc, that's not gonna happen. Likewise if you want to be a math teacher and you have TBI and can't do anything involving algebraic formulation.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Pell grants, federal loans, turning tricks.

Pell grants and loans are dispersed evenly during the academic year. Sucking a john's dick pays on the spot.

Yeah I'm not worried about the grants and loans, I know how that all works.

Not too sure about the dick sucking though. That, I'm not familiar with.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Not too sure about sticking the dick sucking though. That, I'm not familiar with.

You also qualify for VA Work Study, which is an amazing way to make some decent enough scratch for little to no effort. Depends on where the VA has spots open, though, and what your career goals are. You might get a job at a local Vet Center or even your school itself, or they might only have job openings at the hospital an hour away.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Not too sure about sticking the dick sucking though. That, I'm not familiar with.

Anything beyond FAFSA poo poo and Post-9/11 money is on you. I held a part-time job for extra cash. I didn't really need the cash and in fact I stopped working there a few months back. I may bite on a federal subsidized loan this upcoming year just to have a large cushion so I can do another internship or some other career-related thing.

I'd rather spent my time putting worthwhile poo poo on my resume that isn't "UH I FLEW ON AIRPLANES AND AM AN NCO IN A PAST LIFE" type poo poo.

It's honestly just a judgment call based on your time and financial need.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I have a full time job and my classes are all online (did most of it while active duty with fsa/ta).

I'm just wondering how the payout works for the gi bill.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have a full time job and my classes are all online (did most of it while active duty with fsa/ta).

I'm just wondering how the payout works for the gi bill.

Oh.

Pays on the 1st of each month.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Oh.

Pays on the 1st of each month.

So if my classes are 3k for the semester so they pay lump sum or split it up monthly

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So if my classes are 3k for the semester so they pay lump sum or split it up monthly

Are you talking about the class cost or something else? I'm not following you here.

If you're asking when the VA pays out for your classes, it's whenever they get billed. Generally it's not something that a vet should be terribly concerned with. I've had my school send me bills for $11,000 to which I heartily laugh at as I toss it in the trash.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Alright so what I mean is that my classes are 100% covered by my fafsa (including grants and loans).

On top of that, I qualify for 100% post 9/11,which I understand comes to me - I'm just wondering when

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Alright so what I mean is that my classes are 100% covered by my fafsa (including grants and loans).

On top of that, I qualify for 100% post 9/11,which I understand comes to me - I'm just wondering when

Ah ok. Yea, if that money (some grants that are not the Pell) is tuition-restricted, you won't get a dime of it despite the GI Bill covering the excess.

Billing, at my school anyway, works like this: the tuition is paid for by available money (grants and poo poo). When the VA pays, I am refunded money that isn't tuition restricted. Pell grant cash goes directly to me.

Vasudus can probably explain this better than I can.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Ah ok. Yea, if that money (some grants that are not the Pell) is tuition-restricted, you won't get a dime of it despite the GI Bill covering the excess.

Billing, at my school anyway, works like this: the tuition is paid for by available money (grants and poo poo). When the VA pays, I am refunded money that isn't tuition restricted. Pell grant cash goes directly to me.

Vasudus can probably explain this better than I can.

Awesome. Just got off the phone with the school and they basically said this.

Basically :

1: FSA payment is made to school
2: gi bill payment is made
3: FSA is refunded however I selected (my pocket)

So basically any payments made by FSA is simply held until gi bill payments come in.

Thanks!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's the last working day of the month, but yeah.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I'm currently receiving 80% of my GI bill after being admin sep'd for a "medical condition not resulting in a disability".

Does that seem right? Everyone in the vet office at my school says they have never heard of that and that I should have disability/100% gi bill/things like that.

Is there someone who I can talk to about this stuff? I've tried enrolling in the VA when I got out 8 months ago, and didn't hear anything for a few months, then found out they never received my paperwork. (Which is a long way of saying that I don't have any contacts at the VA at the moment.)

Overall I'm getting a little ticked at everything and am having trouble affording the counseling, meds etc that I need. Maybe someone can point me to a more appropriate thread on that subject...

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

App13 posted:

I'm currently receiving 80% of my GI bill after being admin sep'd for a "medical condition not resulting in a disability".

Does that seem right? Everyone in the vet office at my school says they have never heard of that and that I should have disability/100% gi bill/things like that.

Is there someone who I can talk to about this stuff? I've tried enrolling in the VA when I got out 8 months ago, and didn't hear anything for a few months, then found out they never received my paperwork. (Which is a long way of saying that I don't have any contacts at the VA at the moment.)

Overall I'm getting a little ticked at everything and am having trouble affording the counseling, meds etc that I need. Maybe someone can point me to a more appropriate thread on that subject...

I know when I was at Fort Gordon they turned down guys who were getting medically retired at 90-100% disability rate who were 9 years in and wanted to transfer their benefits to a relative.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

App13 posted:

It depends. If you have a medical condition not resulting in a disability, and you have under 3 years, it counts as whatever they say it is. You only get 100% covered under 3 years if you have something service connected.

You can walk in to the VA hospital and get enrolled.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Generally speaking, they review your background, your disabilities listed with the VA, and your stated goal. Then they work with you to obtain that goal.

If you want to be a steelworker and you're currently rated for having a herniated disc, that's not gonna happen. Likewise if you want to be a math teacher and you have TBI and can't do anything involving algebraic formulation.

Related to this: my current plan is to use the GI Bill to get my bachelor's and start some graduate coursework, then switch to voc rehab for the final 12 months I'll need to finish a master's degree. I'm still waiting on my rating but confident it'll be >20%. I'm starting school in August. Should I start out with voc rehab instead?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MancXVI posted:

Related to this: my current plan is to use the GI Bill to get my bachelor's and start some graduate coursework, then switch to voc rehab for the final 12 months I'll need to finish a master's degree. I'm still waiting on my rating but confident it'll be >20%. I'm starting school in August. Should I start out with voc rehab instead?

If you can demonstrate that your *need* your master's (you do) it's not much of a problem. Two of my friends had to go on USAJOBS and find some GS positions that listed a MS as a basic requirement for the check-in-the-box situation that the voc rehab person required.

Depending on how busy your VA office is, it might be a good idea to just get your bachelors on GI Bill and then get voc rehab handled over the break for your masters.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I started ACAPing today and I found out I may be eligible for CH 1607 REAP benefits (Which are apparently still a thing) based on my deployments while in the Reserves (16 months total after :911: ).

Now the REAP payout doesn't compare to MGIB or Post 9/11, but if I am eligible for it, I would have 17 months worth of benefits under CH 1607. Is it possible to trade that 17 months for 17 months of CH 33, or am I locked in to burning up the last five months of my MGIB and just using the 12 months on top of that? If I were able to swap REAP for Post 9/11, would I only get it at the 60% based on my reserve time, or would my subsequent active time bump it up to 100%?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

I started ACAPing today and I found out I may be eligible for CH 1607 REAP benefits (Which are apparently still a thing) based on my deployments while in the Reserves (16 months total after :911: ).

Now the REAP payout doesn't compare to MGIB or Post 9/11, but if I am eligible for it, I would have 17 months worth of benefits under CH 1607. Is it possible to trade that 17 months for 17 months of CH 33, or am I locked in to burning up the last five months of my MGIB and just using the 12 months on top of that? If I were able to swap REAP for Post 9/11, would I only get it at the 60% based on my reserve time, or would my subsequent active time bump it up to 100%?

Hahahahahahaha

Hoooooooooooooly gently caress. Let me get back to you on this one.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Wow, I actually got an answer!

The answer is yes, but there is a caveat. My 1607 benefits expired ten years after I left the reserves, which was this past April. If I had used them, or found a way to back-date the conversion or get an extension somehow, I would have 16 months and 24 days to use them, but I would lose my CH 30 College fund kicker (not a bad trade-off).

Then I found the answer on the HRC page, because why would I look there? :downs:

HRC posted:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Post 911 GI Bill Frequently Asked Questions

Q31: What if I have already used benefits under MGIB, VEAP, or another VA education program?

A31: MGIB (Active Duty Chapter 30): If you used MGIB benefits under Chapter 30, your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits will be reduced by the number of months of MGIB benefits you used. For instance, if you used 24 months of MGIB benefits, the most you can receive under the Post 9/11 GI Bill is 12 months. However, after you exhaust all 36 months of your MGIB benefits, you will receive an additional 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Other programs: If you are covered under VEAP, EATP, MGIB-SR, or REAP the VA will apply what they refer to as the “48- month” rule. This rule basically means you use education benefits under two or more different education benefits programs, but the maximum number of entitlement months you can receive is 48 months. As an example, if you previously used 12 months of VEAP benefits, the VA will subtract 12 from 48 and you will be entitled to 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, if eligible. If you used less than 12 months of VEAP benefits, you will be limited to 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

AurumDude
Jul 13, 2014
Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
Is it true that while using your Post 9/11 bill that if you chose to live in a dormitory, your monthly pay can be taken? I'm getting out in a few months and looking forward to living on campus (because I am cheap), and I'd like to make sure I'm not inadvertently screwing my pay over (again because I'm cheap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AurumDude posted:

Is it true that while using your Post 9/11 bill that if you chose to live in a dormitory, your monthly pay can be taken? I'm getting out in a few months and looking forward to living on campus (because I am cheap), and I'd like to make sure I'm not inadvertently screwing my pay over (again because I'm cheap).

If you're cheap then you don't want to be living on campus. You pay through the nose for convenience. It can easily cost 3x the price of an apartment right outside campus, you will have roommates, you can't stay in your place over the holidays, you have to move every semester, most dorms have alcohol restrictions, forget about having someone over, etc.

This isn't the loving military, go live like an adult. There's probably a ton of places to live within spitting distance of your campus.

• Locked thread