Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I’ve made good mozzarella from the Horizon’s grassfed milk as well as the unpasteurized “not for human consumption” milk from the farmer’s market. It’s not as much fun or as rewarding as making pizza imo so I’ve only done it a couple times and make pizza weekly.

Anyone else have a roccbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I dunno how you guys make your pictures look so good but I do know how to make the pizza taste real good and this simple one was good as hell

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stefan Prodan posted:

I dunno how you guys make your pictures look so good but I do know how to make the pizza taste real good and this simple one was good as hell

The answer is always: more light.

But you can help it along by going into Google/Apple Photos and hitting Enhance, or Edit > Auto before uploading, respectively.

And if you get as close as you can, unavoidable hand movements won't affect the image as much.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

The answer is always: more light.

But you can help it along by going into Google/Apple Photos and hitting Enhance, or Edit > Auto before uploading, respectively.

And if you get as close as you can, unavoidable hand movements won't affect the image as much.

I'd say more natural light in most cases. It's hard to make most indoor lighting look good on a snapshot. I don't usually bother taking food pics if the sun is down.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

I’d eat that pizza.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Chemmy posted:

I’d eat that pizza.

Not emptyquoting.

Also, for good food pics, a dark background (like a dark grey countertop) with some texture is cheap points.

Edit: slung some pies:

bolind fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 11, 2021

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Lots of good looking pizzas y’all. The reps are showing and the results are growing.
I’ll be at the Pizza Expo in Las Vegas next week if by any chance anyone else is there. Our chef is competing on Wednesday in the non-traditional event and we’re pumped to be a part of Scott Weiner’s pizza tour he has going on, our shop will be the last stop after Metro Pizza and Pizza Rock.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A buddy of mine is going. I've wanted to go for years. A convention right now is crazy, but I'm still jealous

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Made pizzas.

Not photogenic, but loving delicious.

I’ve nailed the flavor in my dough, really getting the cold-ferment goodness, but it still ends up super fluffy. Not unpleasant, but I’d like to work down to a slightly thinner crust. Is this more of a forming issue (am I leaving too much dough in the center) or is this a recipe issue?

I used the Ooni calculator with 60% hydration.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Not photogenic

Disagree

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

bees x1000 posted:

here's my blender-and-done recipe:

28oz canned crushed tomatoes (I like Cento)
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp sugar
pinch dried basil
pinch dried oregano
1 tbsp Secret Aardvark habanero hot sauce

The Aardvark is key - just enough to to give a pleasant heat to the pizza. My toddler scarfs it down so I know the mixture isn't actually hot. Aardvark is tomato based so it doesn't shift the sauce's flavor profile.

:aaaaa: Secret Aadrvark habanero is the poo poo, this is a great idea

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I had cold fermented a dough for three days and that didn’t work out well for me. Way too sticky, had several launch failures. May perhaps have tasted better but I think I’ll revert to same-day for now.

Did a pie with fresh cold mozzarella balls added after the bake, that was pretty good, both visually and taste wise.

What I’m saying is that my long suffering family will have to endure another pizza night soon.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I made two slices of pizza for lunch. I dropped one face down on the carpet :argh:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

really happy with how this one turned out. bought some truffle salami that was half price back in may, stuck it in the freezer for a few months, finally got around to using it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://i.imgur.com/5v1tpgN.mp4

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
We've got an abundance of supremely fresh basil from our friends who run a micro garden downtown, so we're doing our ode to Lucali out in NYC and throwing loads of fresh basil on pies as the come out.

Pepperoni looking really nice

This is a roll from one of the sushi guys who works in the same space as us. He's been working on a 100% vegan sushi roll, and this was his first attempt...
Inside: Pickled cucumber, avocado, roasted squash puree
Outside: Avocado, portabello mushroom, wood fired sweet potato, bok choy, roasted heirloom tomato

Phenomenal roll, had all the ocean umami taste of fresh fish but with wonderful vegetable flavor and depth. Lots of magic going on inside.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Fresh basil for me is just such a delight and cut up with scissors on top of a pizza fresh out of the oven is heavenly. Even just jammed on a slice of middling local strip mall pizza, it's such an upgrade.

Also, that sushi looks gorgeous.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've started growing some basil just in a pot on my porch and trying to keep it alive so that I can have fresh basil on every pizza without paying $4 at the store each time and then throwing 80% of it away because I don't make enough pizza to use it but it's also not really enough to make pesto

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I've started growing some basil just in a pot on my porch and trying to keep it alive so that I can have fresh basil on every pizza without paying $4 at the store each time and then throwing 80% of it away because I don't make enough pizza to use it but it's also not really enough to make pesto

We do this too-we call it our money tree because I make pizza once a week and $4 a week on a few sprigs adds up in a hurry.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

OK, I am sure I am a loving moron, but how in the hell do you use the straps on the Ooni Koda cover to secure the gas line?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So, Neapolitan style pizzas, an Ooni Koda, and a handful of guests. How do you go about it.

So far I've been sprinting around making all the pizzas in a row, urging people to eat while they're good, but the wife finds that stressful.

What to do? Gigantic NY style pies? Do a couple, eat, do a couple more?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I have had similar issues with my Effeuno.
What I think works okay is claiming the kitchen (or wherever you cook) for yourself until all Pizzas are made. People can watch but they need to step out of the way.

Then just prepare some variation for toppings and mostly ignore what your guests might want extra. I find it very stressful to try and accommodate all the special wishes my friends have because what works for them when they slowcook a Pizza for 20 minutes until it is properly dead and what works in a real Pizza oven are often two different things.

Make one Pizza after the other in your own pace and let someone else cut them up into slices so your guests can take whatever they like.
Make the best Pizza last so you get most of it for yourself.

I don't know if this works for everyone but this is my preferred mode of doing things.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I understand what I wrote is not necessarily all that different than what you said your wife finds stressful.

So the difference is maybe go at your own pace, remove guests from the kitchen and don't bother with special requests? Helps if your wife handles the "keeping the guests entertained" part in the meanwhile

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Malefitz posted:

I understand what I wrote is not necessarily all that different than what you said your wife finds stressful.

So the difference is maybe go at your own pace, remove guests from the kitchen and don't bother with special requests? Helps if your wife handles the "keeping the guests entertained" part in the meanwhile

Yeah the entertaining part sucks rear end. I’m not great at multi tasking in general but when you have people telling me their life story while I’m running all over the place making sure pizzas don’t burn…it doesn’t work out well for anyone.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe experiment further with heated plates, so the pies don't lose too much heat?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bolind posted:

So, Neapolitan style pizzas, an Ooni Koda, and a handful of guests. How do you go about it.

So far I've been sprinting around making all the pizzas in a row, urging people to eat while they're good, but the wife finds that stressful.

What to do? Gigantic NY style pies? Do a couple, eat, do a couple more?

I kinda view pizza party/dinners as a collaboration start to finish, and having everyone around in the kitchen eating and drinking as they go is a feature not a bug. I think it works best when you've got all the ingredients set up and dough prepped, then letting folks pick a pie to build before you toss it in. If they don't care/aren't the type really interested then you can do it yourself, but who can really resist loading up their own pizza to cook fresh in front of them?

Granted, that only really works if the group isn't too large for the space.

I think if your goal is to have everyone eating at once/keep people out of the kitchen, I'd do a couple sheet tray Sicilian style pies instead of Neapolitan. One of those is more than enough to get everyone started at the same time, and it's very easy to prep two at once ahead of time, pop one in, and then have the second one done by the time the first one is crumbs.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If I'm doing Neapolitan for a crowd I'll usually just do a few that I think people will like and/or ask them what they'd like but top the pies myself with their selection. If everything is prepped and ready to go before people arrive you're only spending 5 minutes shaping, topping and cooking per pie.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Gwaihir posted:

I kinda view pizza party/dinners as a collaboration start to finish, and having everyone around in the kitchen eating and drinking as they go is a feature not a bug. I think it works best when you've got all the ingredients set up and dough prepped, then letting folks pick a pie to build before you toss it in. If they don't care/aren't the type really interested then you can do it yourself, but who can really resist loading up their own pizza to cook fresh in front of them?

I would love if this worked for me but it doesn't. When my guests want to prepare their own Pizzas that usually means even more stress for me. And I feel responsible if they turn out poo poo.

This is why I'd much rather do it just on my own without interference from others :shrug:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
My go-to move was to distract them with booze and snacks between pizzas. Charcuterie board, simple salad, and a bucket full of wine always smoothed out any wait times while I furiously tried to pump out 10 pizzas.
I have done enough parties and catering now that there is a Pizza Limit that crowds hit, and generally the more people you have, the fewer pizzas you will make. It sounds inverse and wrong, but it happens every time. Party of 10? I’ll make 8 pizzas probably. Party of 50? I’ll make maybe 20 pies. Time and drinking take their toll and soon everyone is full and happy!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ogopogo posted:

My go-to move was to distract them with booze and snacks between pizzas. Charcuterie board, simple salad, and a bucket full of wine always smoothed out any wait times while I furiously tried to pump out 10 pizzas.
I have done enough parties and catering now that there is a Pizza Limit that crowds hit, and generally the more people you have, the fewer pizzas you will make. It sounds inverse and wrong, but it happens every time. Party of 10? I’ll make 8 pizzas probably. Party of 50? I’ll make maybe 20 pies. Time and drinking take their toll and soon everyone is full and happy!

this has also been my experience on a much smaller scale. The pizzas always get a big reaction, but the snacks and booze do a lot of the work. Making 6 pies for a group of 8 who are drinking a lot of beer and watching the game on the tv someone's pulled out into the backyard was way less hassle than making 3 pies for 3 people who were super interested in the process and standing around while I worked.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Malefitz posted:

I would love if this worked for me but it doesn't. When my guests want to prepare their own Pizzas that usually means even more stress for me. And I feel responsible if they turn out poo poo.

This is why I'd much rather do it just on my own without interference from others :shrug:

Guests preparing their own pizzas usually results in them typically launching poorly, I've found. Usually end up with like some sauce or something that dripped over the side and sticking the dough to the peel

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Borsche69 posted:

Guests preparing their own pizzas usually results in them typically launching poorly, I've found. Usually end up with like some sauce or something that dripped over the side and sticking the dough to the peel

This has been my experience as well. People unfamiliar with the process don’t understand the need for haste in prep once the pizza is on the peel, and generally want too much sauce, too much cheese, and too many toppings for a successful launch. Asking what they want and doing it for them generally turns out much better.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My toddler is already learning too many new interesting words as it is, when I launch my own pizzas. I don’t need the stress of newbies building the pies.

The in-between snacks is a good idea.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I would imagine trying to solo hosting a party while making pizzas would be pretty hard because you really need to be there when it's time for the pizzas. People seeing it for the first time are fascinated with the process and you have to just factor in that they'll be orbiting around. You might have gotten into this for the sake of having good pizza, but it's going to be a real flex no matter how much you try to downplay it.

Anybody who is actually there to be involved will generally think well of it. The neighbors up the road that kept ribbing me about the slow progress of my pizza oven until I finished it never bothered to ever show up to any of the invitations, so gently caress em'.

You want a clear space at the mouth of the oven so nobody gets bopped while you're working. Just make sure there's no chairs around there if you have seating nearby.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Veritek83 posted:

this has also been my experience on a much smaller scale. The pizzas always get a big reaction, but the snacks and booze do a lot of the work. Making 6 pies for a group of 8 who are drinking a lot of beer and watching the game on the tv someone's pulled out into the backyard was way less hassle than making 3 pies for 3 people who were super interested in the process and standing around while I worked.

It's this. I've tried a few ways of dealing with making pizza for a crowd. If people are interested in the process I'll invite them into the kitchen while I make the first one. After that I'll encourage them to eat that one, have some beers and snacks and chill out together while I work on the prep for the next one and leave me alone to focus on the large fire hazard. Generally I'll budget 3 pizzas between 4 people, and maybe a desert pizza if there's kids around to enjoy it. I'll sit down after the 2nd pizza is out of the oven and see how folks are getting on, if they're demolishing them I'll keep at it until the pace slows a little and then turn one out every 20-30mins or so until they say stop.

I'll also start with the pizzas everyone can eat, so veggie options for the first couple, then I'll alternate and try to account for any allergies/dislikes by making sure no two pizzas in a row are disliked by the same person.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Doubleposting as it's a different topic: I've been meaning to try making pizza in teglia. My in-laws in milan love spontini so I'm trying to match their style. The general approach is pan pizza baked without cheese, with a good bit of oil to crisp the base, and then a second bake with stupid amounts of mozzarella on an oregano and anchovy topping:

It's not my favorite style but it's interesting and makes for a change. This is the same amount of dough as one of my usual neapolitans but the oil and toppings mean it's definitely an eat by the slice deal. The base is pretty amazing though. Super light, soft but extremely crispy on the bottom.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm usually pretty envious of the delicious looking pies that get posted here. I read somewhere (here?) someone suggested everything bagel mix to be applied as a crust topping. Not only was it not to my taste in this application, the garlic flakes burned. But it was still a good experiment!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I did a breakfast pizza with Everything-bagel crust, home made breakfast sausage, and eggs on it once and I count it among one of the best meal I've ever cooked for myself :shrug:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Confession: i've been doing this for ~5 years, made somewhere around a thousand pizzas, and I've never really figured out hand stretching. I just use a rolling pin like a neanderthal. It gets the job done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bees x1000 posted:

Confession: i've been doing this for ~5 years, made somewhere around a thousand pizzas, and I've never really figured out hand stretching. I just use a rolling pin like a neanderthal. It gets the job done

Yeah same I've done it a ton but whenever I hand stretch I never get it really even, it's a little bit thicker in some places and I just sort of have to stop when some part of it starts to get too thin and tear, I'll have like decent sized parts that are window pane thin and others that are thicker. I'm not really sure how to get it even by hand.