Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

3 of my riding bros have now taken delivery of R1200GSes. Ugh.

"Hey, I bet my engine is narrower than your 1150's! Let's measure them!"

:ughh:

Hahahahahaha christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

They've been for sale here in Canada for a few years now too.

That lady loves her 650NK. LOVES IT.

Marketing: pick a shoot location that accentuates the natural beauty of the bike

Photographer: I know just the place!!!

*heads to the brownest, flattest, most featureless field on earth*

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Marketing: pick a shoot location that accentuates the natural beauty of the bike

Photographer: I know just the place!!!

*heads to the brownest, flattest, most featureless field on earth*

*somewhere in Alberta*

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

3 of my riding bros have now taken delivery of R1200GSes. Ugh.

"Hey, I bet my engine is narrower than your 1150's! Let's measure them!"

:ughh:
Which 1200? Hex head? DOHC? Water?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Water. I think they got the entire Motorrad rainbow too; white, red, and black.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I might be an idiot and might have "lost" a plastic washer under the [-] battery terminal bolt.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 11, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Okay, so who are the loving idiots apparently willing to buy motorcycles without test rides? Because not a single Yamaha dealer is willing to let me so much as ride an MT-09 around the block and yet it's one of the best-selling bikes in the country right now. Anyway the bullshit I've put up with over a day of calling their dealers has convinced me I never want to buy a bike from any of them regardless.

For the record this is literally the first time I've ever had a problem ever getting a test ride, ranging from the Aprilia dealer who gave me a V2 Tuono to play with for the three hours my RS125 was in for service (although in that case I was on really good terms with the owners), to the Honda dealer who willingly lined up three bikes for me to test in one afternoon even after I told him that i wasn't really interested in buying (and it paid off - I've steered three people to buy bikes from them), all the way through to the Royal Enfield dealer who lent me a helmet and gloves and didn't even ask to see my license before giving me a fresh-out-the-crate Continental GT to play with for a day.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, so who are the loving idiots apparently willing to buy motorcycles without test rides? Because not a single Yamaha dealer is willing to let me so much as ride an MT-09 around the block and yet it's one of the best-selling bikes in the country right now. Anyway the bullshit I've put up with over a day of calling their dealers has convinced me I never want to buy a bike from any of them regardless.

For the record this is literally the first time I've ever had a problem ever getting a test ride, ranging from the Aprilia dealer who gave me a V2 Tuono to play with for the three hours my RS125 was in for service (although in that case I was on really good terms with the owners), to the Honda dealer who willingly lined up three bikes for me to test in one afternoon even after I told him that i wasn't really interested in buying (and it paid off - I've steered three people to buy bikes from them), all the way through to the Royal Enfield dealer who lent me a helmet and gloves and didn't even ask to see my license before giving me a fresh-out-the-crate Continental GT to play with for a day.

What the gently caress, man? That seems ridiculous.

I could see it if you're buying an H2 or something, sure. But seriously, all they have to do is determine whether you have insurance, you have gear, and you have a motorcycle certification.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Marketing is like the Force IRL, hth.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is pretty standard for all Japanese brands in the Godlands out here - they almost never do test rides.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

This is pretty standard for all Japanese brands in the Godlands out here - they almost never do test rides.

Yup. Triumph, Ducati, and BMW dealers around here are more than happy to let me do test rides however.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

So if these brands never do test rides, why do we regularly tell people "go ride them all and decide which one you like" when people bring up 2 or 3 bikes they're trying to decide between?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

I got a test ride on a Yamaha scooter from a Seattle-area dealer which surprised the hell out of me. I'd never heard of a Japanese dealer really allowing test rides, and certainly not on something with a profit margin as slim as a scooter. (I bought it.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

So if these brands never do test rides, why do we regularly tell people "go ride them all and decide which one you like" when people bring up 2 or 3 bikes they're trying to decide between?

I've never had a problem getting test rides on a Honda or a Kawasaki (sorry Suzuki fans, they don't do a bike I'm interested in). This seems - in London at least - to be a Yamaha dealer only thing. Much as i hate them I'm tempted to ring Metropolis to see if they'll let me have a go on one, as they're generally pretty good about test rides.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah that's sorta crazy. The local Duc dealer threw me the keys to a Hyperstrada and told me the only rule was "ride it long enough that you can get a good feel for it."

Cool bike, by the way. Weird looks and riding position, but the 821 is a cool as hell motor in that tiny chassis.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never had a problem getting test rides on a Honda or a Kawasaki (sorry Suzuki fans, they don't do a bike I'm interested in). This seems - in London at least - to be a Yamaha dealer only thing. Much as i hate them I'm tempted to ring Metropolis to see if they'll let me have a go on one, as they're generally pretty good about test rides.

Suzuki fans exist on this forum? I assumed my other Zook Bros were just broke.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

Because it's usually a non-issue for used bikes to test ride them. If you wanna ride the Japanese bikes you usually have to go to a demo day/bike show.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Because it's usually a non-issue for used bikes to test ride them. If you wanna ride the Japanese bikes you usually have to go to a demo day/bike show.

Funnily enough, apart from one dealer, I've found it the other way round - generally they don't want you test riding the used bikes (at least unless you're willing to leave the full cash price as a deposit) but will eagerly hand out the new(ish) demo bikes.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funnily enough, apart from one dealer, I've found it the other way round - generally they don't want you test riding the used bikes (at least unless you're willing to leave the full cash price as a deposit) but will eagerly hand out the new(ish) demo bikes.
I always kind of figured for demo stuff they have to have some sort of blanket insurance on all those bikes, where-as they probably wouldn't have something like that for used bikes on the sales floor, but that could be something I entirely made up in my mind.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Funnily enough this inspired me to actually go look at the Suzuki website because I thought the only naked they did was the V-Strom and I'd rather walk, but they have this:

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/gsx-s1000abs/

the bike looks relatively interesting (for an I4) but look at that lovely big "BOOK A TEST RIDE NOW" tab on the side. Tempted to do so just because gently caress Yamaha.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Private used.

I've never had a problem test riding a bike with a private seller. A lot even let me take it out with little more than MSF training, when I started riding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funnily enough this inspired me to actually go look at the Suzuki website because I thought the only naked they did was the V-Strom and I'd rather walk, but they have this:

the bike looks relatively interesting (for an I4) but look at that lovely big "BOOK A TEST RIDE NOW" tab on the side. Tempted to do so just because gently caress Yamaha.

Psh. That actually looks pretty cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gillingham posted:

I always kind of figured for demo stuff they have to have some sort of blanket insurance on all those bikes, where-as they probably wouldn't have something like that for used bikes on the sales floor, but that could be something I entirely made up in my mind.

It's because statistically someone is going to drop/scratch/scuff the bike sooner or later, which will then have to be fixed before the bike can be sold. It makes more sense to concentrate this lost revenue in one specific bike designated for the job, then sold later at a discount as an ex-demo. Presumably the european brands don't use this strategy because they have much lower stock numbers and turnover than japanese brands so they're just interested in pushing as many out the door as possible.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Suzuki.jpg

nsaP posted:

Private used.

I've never had a problem test riding a bike with a private seller. A lot even let me take it out with little more than MSF training, when I started riding.

This. The guy I bought my FZ6 from wasn't -too- thrilled with it, but showing up on my DRZ and giving him the keys helped.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well thanks for posting this, anyway. I went to go look at the Yamaha dealer page and it turns out they have the factory demo truck thingie heading for my area relatively soon. So I'll let you know how it goes on the FJ-09 and the FZ-07, since you are not allowed on them.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's getting pretty rave reviews btw.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm glad Suzuki finally answered my baffledness by making a bike they really should've started making ten years ago.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

That's getting pretty rave reviews btw.

Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic when I said it looked interesting, despite being handicapped by carrying around all those extra cylinders.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I'm glad Suzuki finally answered my baffledness by making a bike they really should've started making ten years ago.

The first and second gen bandit filled (and practically invented) that gap somewhat, the naked muscle bike niche. They have gone pretty hard to the sport touring end of the spectrum with the new bandit though, so the gsx1000 makes sense.

I've also heard that the 750 is a really good bike too.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
They also did try making a proper naked muscle bike back in 2008, the Suzuki B-King (naked Hayabusa).

Ugly as poo poo, didn't sell at all and was discontinued (I just bought one!).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bandit and b-king are both one class up from that. They've never had anything to compete with cb1000r, Z1000 and FZ1. Which is pretty stupid because all those bikes are cost-effective adaptations of the respective firms' literbikes; B12 and b-king aren't remotely in the same category. It's also a very popular segment for the 'I want a literbike but I'm also a sensible steven' demographic who can buy one and claim that it's just like a fireblade but naked. I've said this all before so I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I'm glad they finally switched on and realised you can't just keep pretending to make new bikes whilst just making new decals.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:fap:

I now see that my bandit lust has been egregiously misplaced...

Gonna save this one for the spank bank

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

'I want a literbike but I'm also a sensible steven'

Hello,
My name is Stephen (close enough to the reference above), and I wanted a "sensible" literbike:

I actually want either a GSX1000 or GSX750.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 13, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Hello,
My name is Stephen (close enough to the reference above), and I wanted a "sensible" literbike:

I actually want either a GSX1000 or GSX750.

You're the perfect example, you glorious man. Had the GSX1000 been released a few years ago like they easily could've done, you'd be riding one of them instead of a bandit now.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Compared to my friend's fz1, my bandit has worse consumption for worse specs and similar second hand pricing. Oh, I've got more torque low down, I guess.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
How do people ride without a helmet???

I got stuck behind a dump truck full of mulch for 5-6 miles on a rural stretch where I couldn't safely pass it, and just got hammered with giant chunks of bark at 60 mph. Even hanging back didn't help as the mulch just bounced off the road up at me. Felt like getting pelted with rocks

I'd a been hosed without my gear, least of all my full face shield

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I did Sturgis (2500 miles on I-90) with a 3/4 helmet and no windshield. It was the worst. It was also the last time I rode without a full face.

The being behind a truck thing: that's something you can control. Trucks are big and easy to see so you know when you'r behind one to do something about it.

It's when the road surface is actually shoulder to shoulder locust swarm and the guy riding point scares them all up to about eye level when it's really bad.

Like I said, that was the last time without a full face.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
The other night it was unseasonably warm as I was coming home. This brought out a lot of bees.

Somehow, at 70mph on the highway, a live bee got into my helmet. He was (thankfully) just chillin' on the inside of my visor, up near my forehead. I have no idea how he got into my helmet alive.

I opened the visor for about a minute and a half. I seriously have no idea how anyone does highway speeds with a brain bucket or a 3/4.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I've done 20,000k's with my full face, and I reckon I've put my visor down only a couple of times (heavy rain). As long as you're wearing eye protection and don't mind a massive bug to the face occasionally, feels good man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

KARMA! posted:

Compared to my friend's fz1, my bandit has worse consumption for worse specs and similar second hand pricing. Oh, I've got more torque low down, I guess.

I bought the bandit because a buddy had one I got to test ride and the dealer quoted me 7k$ out the door price including tax, title and license. It makes me a terribly lazy rider from all the torque down low though.