Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have Indian neighbors that pretty regularly cook dinners that smell absolutely goddamned fantastic but I'm too much of a reclusive programmer type to actually ask about what it is and how they make it. There's a store that specializes in Indian food not far away but it isn't near anything else I ever have to go to so I'd be going out of my way. I could probably go there to ask about Indian food but I also get the feeling that it's going to be full of stuff I'm allergic to. Another first world problem is that there's like a bajillion Thai restaurants here and what little Thai food I've tried was so, so good but my allergies caused problems.

I think I'm the only white guy (well, white-ish) on the floor and I worry that my neighbors think I'm a racist because I'm not in the habit of being outgoing and neighborly. I'm just extremely not social.

That is such a first world problem. I love Asian food but there's just so drat much seafood in it.

I know that I probably should talk to other humans more often but I just plain don't want to. I barely even talk to my coworkers.

Luckily for you there were recently some very good and informative posts in the cooking forum about how to make restaurant-quality Indian food!

http://goonswithspoons.com/Tikka_chilli_balti

http://goonswithspoons.com/Saag_aloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The custodian that services my office is a total sweetheart but he has a high-pitched and cartoonishly Mexican voice. Like war-time cartoon stereotype. It's bad because she wants to talk to everyone and is SUPER nice.

She's been working here for a year and is always talking about how she's getting ready for her son's birthday.
Either she is lying for something is wrong...

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have Indian neighbors that pretty regularly cook dinners that smell absolutely goddamned fantastic but I'm too much of a reclusive programmer type to actually ask about what it is and how they make it. There's a store that specializes in Indian food not far away but it isn't near anything else I ever have to go to so I'd be going out of my way. I could probably go there to ask about Indian food but I also get the feeling that it's going to be full of stuff I'm allergic to. Another first world problem is that there's like a bajillion Thai restaurants here and what little Thai food I've tried was so, so good but my allergies caused problems.

I think I'm the only white guy (well, white-ish) on the floor and I worry that my neighbors think I'm a racist because I'm not in the habit of being outgoing and neighborly. I'm just extremely not social.

That is such a first world problem. I love Asian food but there's just so drat much seafood in it.

I know that I probably should talk to other humans more often but I just plain don't want to. I barely even talk to my coworkers.

IMO if you are feeling weird about asking them (I get like this too), you should look up some recipes online and just go for it!! I am as white as the driven snow, but I need a lot of food variety in my life, and I have self-taught myself to make a mean curry and saag paneer. One time I brought in leftovers to work for lunch, and my Pakistani colleague asked me what restaurant I had purchased it from, and was (seemingly) pretty impressed when I told him I had made it myself. It is definitely not as intimidating as it seems once you give it a try, and once you get the ingredients/flavours down you'll be able to tweak it more to your liking. This goes for Thai too! It's fun if you like to cook!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have the exact same thing except it's not just Indian food, it's also Hispanic food and some other various types of delicious things. My bedroom borders their kitchen and some nights it's unbearable and I've been able to tell the exact thing they're making. Like, I've spent some nights drooling. They also cook around 9-10pm when I'm about to sleep.I encountered the lady in the hallway and she looked at me all scared and confused :( I guess she didn't like my tattoos and Family Guy pajama pants.

The building turns the heat down at night around 9pm until like 6am and I'm awake because I couldn't sleep, and it's FREEZING. Also sometimes my radiator clicks really loud... but if I kick it really really hard it stops for a while :haw:

I have some of the smilies' names memorized :smith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The hotel I'm staying at for work (expenses paid) has some weird DNS filtering poo poo going on, and it filters some image hosting sites so about 1/4 of posts in PYF are full of broken images.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I ate too much and it was tasty but I'm uncomfortably full and will probably have some wicked indigestion tonight

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

coronatae posted:

I ate too much and it was tasty but I'm uncomfortably full and will probably have some wicked indigestion tonight

SUE THEM!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/11/21/customers-suing-chipotle-over-300-calorie-burrito/94211910/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is a weird one:

There is a guy on the train that smells like really pungent, delicious Mediterranean food. I'm already hungry and here's this guy that reeks of grape leaves and feta.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think I have some very small shards of glass embedded in my leg and sometimes it bothers me like hell, but I don't know if occasional discomfort is worth going to a doctor for

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

I think I have some very small shards of glass embedded in my leg and sometimes it bothers me like hell, but I don't know if occasional discomfort is worth going to a doctor for

If your question is "is this bad enough to see a doctor for?" and it's been going for a while, the answer is yes.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Especially if you're an American, there's a non-zero chance the Republicans will gut the ACA and that'll become a pre-existing condition. :downs:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Trump claims he will keep the pre existing condition thing. But who knows since he changes his mind every hour.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

The motor in my ice cream churn blew while I was making ice cream for the work Thanksgiving potluck. It was at the end when I went to add the nuts and toffee, so I just had to stir by hand, but I only used the machine about 10 times.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Just bought the missus an Aprilia ETX 150 (ended up being white as she wanted) but I have to decide between catching the bus into work and riding it home or getting it delivered later in the week.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugh.

I'm two weeks away from a vacation I desperately need and I came very close to calling out sick today.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Better than getting sick during your vacation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Noctone posted:

Better than getting sick during your vacation.

I'm not actually sick. I'm very, very burnt out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I use an ObjectDock for my most used things, and there's no position in which it's usable when I'm playing a new game I love. No matter on which side of the screen, no matter the orientation on those sides, it's covering something :(

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I got offered a job 2 weeks ago and filled out all the paperwork and have been calling them twice a day ever since but not gotten a schedule or training day at all. Every time I call the manager is like "I dunno I'll check on it and call you back" and he doesn't so I call him and he just says he still doesn't know.

Please let me work goddammit

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It took me ten minutes to get through the line at Target tonight

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tofu Terry posted:

I got offered a job 2 weeks ago and filled out all the paperwork and have been calling them twice a day ever since but not gotten a schedule or training day at all. Every time I call the manager is like "I dunno I'll check on it and call you back" and he doesn't so I call him and he just says he still doesn't know.

Please let me work goddammit

Sorry, friend.
My first official job squeezed me out in favor of hiring on the owner's older brother who did meth in the kitchen.
I was 13 and didn't know any better or how to fight for my schedule.

FWP: My GF had to buy special hay for our guinea pig because she needs a low-calcium diet. We just bought a new bale recently so that sucks. It won't go to waste because a friend can take it for his pets but uuuuuggghhh.

My sleep patterns are still bad. Not so bad that I can't work but I'm in a constant fog.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Goddamnit they are cooking chicken REALLY WELL tonight. I can't cook fresh chicken this well and I cook good. But they are doing it! It's loving 11pm. I woke up to the smell.

2min later while typing this: Oh god and pork too. Re-sizzled pork but still delicious.

Kill me. :smithicide:

E: I can't control my drooling, I'm like a loving dog at a barbecue

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Nov 23, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Goddamnit they are cooking chicken REALLY WELL tonight. I can't cook fresh chicken this well and I cook good. But they are doing it! It's loving 11pm. I woke up to the smell.

2min later while typing this: Oh god and pork too. Re-sizzled pork but still delicious.

Kill me. :smithicide:

E: I can't control my drooling, I'm like a loving dog at a barbecue

Come and knock on our door.....

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

VendaGoat posted:

Come and knock on our door.....

Now this is stuck in my head.

Also it's cold again cause they turned down the heat, I know I complained about this already but COLD.

SO MANY PROBLEMS.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Management hosed up my paycheck again :sigh: first time in a while, but I was looking forward to that extra 8 hours. At least my current supervisor has proven time and again that she will latch onto management's leg like an angry chihuahua and make sure they don't try to sweep it under the rug, so I'm sure something will come of it. She's a good boss.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

These potato chips are too large and dont fit entirely in my mouth, but if I snap them first it makes crumbs.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kind of want to get a Wii U and Mario Maker, but spending that much for pretty much the only thing I'd want to do with it is dumb as hell.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

MisterBibs posted:

I kind of want to get a Wii U and Mario Maker, but spending that much for pretty much the only thing I'd want to do with it is dumb as hell.

Well, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS in like a week if that works better for you. If you don't have one of those either, a 2DS and the game will run you about $120 USD + tax.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Nov 23, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hardcordion posted:

Well, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS in like a week if that works better for you. If you don't have one of those either, a 2DS and the game will run you about $120 USD + tax.

Now my FWP is that I can get a 2DS plus the game for 120 bucks, but it'd be kinda a lovely use of funds for a feature-gimped version of one game.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Switch is coming out in four months and will get ports of all the Wii U games worth playing. Just wait for that.

On a related note, I would like to complain that the Switch is coming out in four months and they haven't announced the exact date, price, or launch line-up yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch is coming out in four months and will get ports of all the Wii U games worth playing. Just wait for that.

On a related note, I would like to complain that the Switch is coming out in four months and they haven't announced the exact date, price, or launch line-up yet.

I knooooow! I'm going to buy one unless early reports say that it's trash. I just want to know more stuff. Zelda is scheduled for June now and I was thinking it would be a launch title.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Tofu Terry posted:

Every time I call the manager is like "I dunno I'll check on it and call you back" and he doesn't so I call him and he just says he still doesn't know.

I love when people say they'll call you back and then they just... never do. no matter how many times you call them. even if it's super important. it's so nice!

the property manager still hasn't gotten our doorbell fixed and fedex threw a package up onto our balcony instead. how did they even know it was ours??

I have a UPS package coming later and I hope my note, taped to the intercom area outside, is enough to get them to mash the doorbell until it makes noise in here.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I don't like holidays.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I turned in my paperwork for automatic deposit in August when I started my job. Payroll didn't get it through inter-office mail until a week before Halloween and they still decided to take three weeks to process it.
After some five pay periods with checks in the mail I'm finally going to get auto deposit... They've always paid me the right amounts with physical checks but that's bullshit and there's no one to file a complaint with because HR is gone for Thanksgiving and neither payroll nor our couriers want to take blame for screwing up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I saw a man die today.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We just ate the breast and now there's most of a turkey left over and we don't know what to do with it

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Inzombiac posted:

I saw a man die today.

:stare:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And that was on top of an already horrible day.

He was an employee in my building and the brother of a co-worker. He just started having a seizure, hit the floor, thrashed around for a minute and died.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
GF's building is closed for 2 weeks due to earthquake damage so she gets two paid weeks off.

That's good for her but means when I come home from work she'll talk my freaking ear off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

And that was on top of an already horrible day.

He was an employee in my building and the brother of a co-worker. He just started having a seizure, hit the floor, thrashed around for a minute and died.

Holy poo poo. I can't imagine seeing something like that. :stare: