Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magni posted:

Take a look at your account on the WoWs webpage. It has a more detailed stats page.

Ah, cool. Thanks, I had no idea that existed, never even occurred to me to check there.

I appear to have a 75% win rate in my Fuso. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Magni posted:

Well the Fletcher is three tiers higher than the Mutsuki. :v:

Whoops, I meant the Farragut.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
God, reading various War in the Pacific AARs is making me really want to get into the beta. I don't care that it's a grindfest, I played 10,000 battles in Navyfield. I just want my battleships and CAs.

Edit: oh no, I can buy a stupid gold/consumable/ship bundle and get into closed beta today? This is really not a good thing to find out.

Velius fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 26, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Velius posted:

God, reading various War in the Pacific AARs is making me really want to get into the beta. I don't care that it's a grindfest, I played 10,000 battles in Navyfield. I just want my battleships and CAs.

I'm kind of bored right now and waiting for 3.1 to drop honestly. There are some things that it will change I'm hoping and expecting will improve the flow for the better. As of right now, it just kind of sucks to be in a cruiser, no matter how armored since ap does damage even in a glancing shot.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Whoops, I meant the Farragut.

What? The Farragut has a choice between 5.5km and 4.5km torps on a plattform that gets spotted from 7.5km distance. They're basically only useful for suicide runs and point-blank ambushes.

The Mutsuki (and Hatsuharu to some degree) can actually launch their 10km fish at people without even getting spotted, which is nice to spread some chaos and hilarious when you do it against tunnel-visioning pubbies. It's a true idiot check - you check the enemy team for idiots and if you find some you get to farm damage. :v: The Mutsuki in particular has such a low detection distance (same as the Minekaze) that you can sometimes pull hilarious bullshit and sneak right through their team to nuke a carrier without getting caught. I managed to pull this off on Ocean of all maps once and the sheer amount of tears and bullshit cries from the pubbies were the best thing.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a chart with spotting/camo ratings anywhere?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magni posted:

What? The Farragut has a choice between 5.5km and 4.5km torps on a plattform that gets spotted from 7.5km distance. They're basically only useful for suicide runs and point-blank ambushes.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of using torpedoes at range but that 4.5km range on the Farragut's torps are just ugh

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Had someone accuse me of using the aiming mod yesterday after I blew his BB up, but in my defense the dude was swanning along at 12km in a straight loving line - even with my lovely aiming skills it wasn't hard to dial in on him. Stagger shots, make sure I've got the right lead and angle, then unleash a full salvo. Getting 2 citadel hits didn't hurt either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cruiser Supremacy. :getin:

The carrier that killed me managed to do so posthumously when the one flight of torp bombers he got back off the deck (after I dodged the first two waves making a run at him) launched from behind as a cruiser I was fighting launched in front of me. The other kills were basically defending the left side of the map with little support and basically just circling islands to keep them broken up into small groups so they couldn't concentrate firepower as I killed them. Having masses of guns that reload super fast and can still pen is pretty nice. It makes up for my often questionable long range aiming skills that fail me in Battleships and still lets me make the occasional torpedo ambush like a destroyer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I need to get better at nailing citadels. I have a pretty reasonable hit rate at long range (31% overall in everything) but while I get a fair number of crits, citadel shots are really rare when I'm not out near max range. I think maybe I'm aiming too high?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Magni posted:

The Mutsuki (and Hatsuharu to some degree) can actually launch their 10km fish at people without even getting spotted, which is nice to spread some chaos and hilarious when you do it against tunnel-visioning pubbies. It's a true idiot check - you check the enemy team for idiots and if you find some you get to farm damage. :v: The Mutsuki in particular has such a low detection distance (same as the Minekaze) that you can sometimes pull hilarious bullshit and sneak right through their team to nuke a carrier without getting caught. I managed to pull this off on Ocean of all maps once and the sheer amount of tears and bullshit cries from the pubbies were the best thing.

The 10km torpedoes are useless. You realistically won't score hits on people with functioning brains, and even the average pubbie probably will only take a single torp at most. poo poo, at 10km you can miss stationary targets with your torps, even with the tightest spread.

Torpedoes aren't more than a gesture outside of 7km. It's tough to guarantee a hit outside of 4-5km, depending on the speed of the target and the speed of your torps obviously.

The Farragut torps travel faster and reload slightly quicker. You also get two extra torps compared to the Mutsuki, for the same reload speed. And functioning guns.

IJN destroyers are a one-trick pony without a trick.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Had someone accuse me of using the aiming mod yesterday after I blew his BB up, but in my defense the dude was swanning along at 12km in a straight loving line - even with my lovely aiming skills it wasn't hard to dial in on him. Stagger shots, make sure I've got the right lead and angle, then unleash a full salvo. Getting 2 citadel hits didn't hurt either.

I think it is kind of amusing to have someone 'accuse' anyone of using the aiming mod. Like it is guaranteeing a sure hit. ZOMG AIM ASSIST 1337 H4XX0RZ!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

I think it is kind of amusing to have someone 'accuse' anyone of using the aiming mod. Like it is guaranteeing a sure hit. ZOMG AIM ASSIST 1337 H4XX0RZ!

I admit to have made such accusation a few times. When you're zigzagging and changing your speed multiple times, and people are still hitting you with impressive accuracy taking away big chunks of your HP, its hard to tell yourself that the guy is just that good. When your day is already going lovely and your gaming doesn't relax you, it leaves little options.

Teamkilling, or yelling HAX!!! Teamkilling too often might get you banned, so whinning like a little bitch becomes much more reasonable and acceptable.

Darth Sidious
Jan 9, 2011

My Force is Bigger Than Yours!
NVM im blind

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vengarr posted:

The 10km torpedoes are useless. You realistically won't score hits on people with functioning brains, and even the average pubbie probably will only take a single torp at most. poo poo, at 10km you can miss stationary targets with your torps, even with the tightest spread.

Torpedoes aren't more than a gesture outside of 7km. It's tough to guarantee a hit outside of 4-5km, depending on the speed of the target and the speed of your torps obviously.

The Farragut torps travel faster and reload slightly quicker. You also get two extra torps compared to the Mutsuki, for the same reload speed. And functioning guns.

I agree with most of this but I found the 4.5km range to be somewhat annoying compared to the 5.5km ones. I tend to try and launch around 4 to 4.5km out but with your max range at that 4.5km as well it's possible to have your torps run out of gas before they hit the target depending on the angles and which direction you're both moving if you launch at max range.

They do an amazing amount of damage when they do hit though.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the beta has OS X support and if so, have an approximation of how well a 2012 MacBook Pro will run it? I recently moved across the country and had to leave my gaming PC behind so I'm scraping by on what my roommate generously gave me. :shobon:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I can post on the brown sea forums and ask. Wish me luck.

There you go, this is the go-to guy who plays on a Macbook.

When trying to run PC software on a mac sometimes wrappers or VMware works, but for CPU intensive programs like wows the only way to do it and get the most out of your system is to run a second partition using bootcamp to install windows 7/8. Apple transitioned from their PowerPC based hardware to an Intel based hardware in 2006, so as long as you are not running a Mac older than 2006 windows 7/8 will recognize all the hardware and run flawlessly on a second partition. As will OSx run very well on a PC as a hackontosh pc. Since all the versions of OSx recognize intel hardware, its just that with a PC you have to do some fancy partion stuff and have a few different hacker tools to install on a PC since there is not PC equivalent of bootcamp.

Installing windows on an intel based mac using boot camp is so easy a cave man can do it.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 26, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I've decided to try something with my carrier and so far it seems to be working.

I move in a position that will definitely get me spotted, but forces people to run up to me to kill me. So many people take the bait, that it allows for my team to easily pull off a win by capping because people would rather kill a carrier than win the match.

I've done it a few times now, and every time, the guys chasing me could have turned around and salvaged the game, but they never do. Its been a win every single time I've done it, and every time its with half of my team making it to the cap almost unoposed. Its ridiculous how people have no sense of priority.

The downside is that I get killed more often, but who cares about survival rate really? Pubbies are loving dumb.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dalael posted:

I admit to have made such accusation a few times. When you're zigzagging and changing your speed multiple times, and people are still hitting you with impressive accuracy taking away big chunks of your HP, its hard to tell yourself that the guy is just that good. When your day is already going lovely and your gaming doesn't relax you, it leaves little options.

Teamkilling, or yelling HAX!!! Teamkilling too often might get you banned, so whinning like a little bitch becomes much more reasonable and acceptable.

Nahh, those guys are using some serious skill if you're dodging. What's the mod is getting a BB salvo dropped on your cruiser from 20 km.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Has there been any testing on accuracy by any chance? I know this was asked before and I don't remember if there was a reply to it. Is chain firing your guns more accurate than a full salvo? It seems like I hit more shells when I volley like that instead of punching salvos. But I don't know if that is just confirmation bias or if there is some truth to it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
One of the thing that kind of annoys me about this game as a carrier player:

You launch your planes. They take a bazillion years to reach your target. You manual aim a perfect run and watch with excitement as your torpedoes speed towards a battleship and you just know all 6/12 torpedoes are gonna hit and wreck the poo poo out of him. Then juuust before your torpedo hits, someone else lands an awesome citadel hit and sinks the ship, making your entire effort and the last 5 minutes of your gameplay an entire waste of time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

Has there been any testing on accuracy by any chance? I know this was asked before and I don't remember if there was a reply to it. Is chain firing your guns more accurate than a full salvo? It seems like I hit more shells when I volley like that instead of punching salvos. But I don't know if that is just confirmation bias or if there is some truth to it.

I haven't tested accuracy but I could.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I haven't tested accuracy but I could.

Nah, we really need training rooms to get a better idea. I can see spread stats on the guns so there is that, but I was just curious if anyone knew if different firing options had different effects on accuracy or anything else.

Also, the mogami can totally handle itself being up tiered to 8. She is pretty well armored for a tier 7. Especially when you compare her to her rival, the pensacola. Pens has a better gun layout in that all guns are available in frontal assaults, but 76mm in the belt is harsh. The myoko which will take the mogami's spot also has a 76mm 102mm belt so that'll bring them back to a more even stance. The mogami will still have the upper hand in armor against the new orleans though which will be her rival next patch. New orleans has a 127m belt while the mogami has 140mm. Not much, but it is there. Also, torps. Just had a game where I got to clown an atlanta in my mogami which felt great. Died during it because I was under assault from a cleveland as well, but the poor atlanta forgot to dodge my torp spread and died shortly after I did from it.

Edit: woops, myoko has a 102mm belt, thought it was a little weaker

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dalael posted:

I've decided to try something with my carrier and so far it seems to be working.

I move in a position that will definitely get me spotted, but forces people to run up to me to kill me. So many people take the bait, that it allows for my team to easily pull off a win by capping because people would rather kill a carrier than win the match.

I've done it a few times now, and every time, the guys chasing me could have turned around and salvaged the game, but they never do. Its been a win every single time I've done it, and every time its with half of my team making it to the cap almost unoposed. Its ridiculous how people have no sense of priority.

The downside is that I get killed more often, but who cares about survival rate really? Pubbies are loving dumb.

I swear to god guys.. try this. Its unbelievable how pubbies are retarded.

My latest match, I told my team I would do this right at the start. Near the end of the match, a few teammates were capping. Two enemy cruiser were in a perfect position to shoot those capping, but also in a perfect position to shoot me. Guess who they choose to shoot at?

I truly do not understand this attitude. What is it with pubbies wanting to kill carriers so badly that they would rather do so at the cost of the entire match.

The funniest thing about this is that in all the match I've done this, none of them managed to sink me.

Fake Edit: I realise that I'm quoting myself which is kinda dumb.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Did you quote and reply to yourself?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

SERPUS posted:

Did you quote and reply to yourself?

Have you not read my fake edit?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
A little while ago I mentioned I had an extra code for the closed beta. I don't know if still valid but it seems I really don't need it. Who was next on the list to receive it? I can't find the post.

E: I went back 25 pages and could not find the latest update for the list of people who want to have keys. I do not guarante that this key still works, but if someone wants it.. just ask in here.

If possible, I'd like to give it to someone who has seen what the game looks like and is interested in playing until open beta hits. I would not want to waste it on someone who tries the game a few times and gives up.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 26, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Running battleboats with the aim bot mod is kinda relaxing. Just got the Fuso and in the first game i blew up 4 boates, where 3 where basically one-salvoes from maxmium range. Just lining up on one target and then releasing all six turrets was very rewarding.

How does the Alt-button work in comparison to the aim bot?
It gives you distance, target speed and time of flight for your shells, but it doesn't tell you how much ahead you have to aim without some calculations if I understand it correctly?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Cardiac posted:

Running battleboats with the aim bot mod is kinda relaxing. Just got the Fuso and in the first game i blew up 4 boates, where 3 where basically one-salvoes from maxmium range. Just lining up on one target and then releasing all six turrets was very rewarding.

How does the Alt-button work in comparison to the aim bot?
It gives you distance, target speed and time of flight for your shells, but it doesn't tell you how much ahead you have to aim without some calculations if I understand it correctly?

That is correct. However, if you use the guide and memorize how much you have to lead boats by depending on their speed, then its easy. Targets moving diagonally just need adjustments for less horizontal and some vertical adjustment.

Though the aim assist for battleships is probably way too good. It eliminates the need for them to fire tracking shots, if you happened to be moving at a weird angle, and it will quickly tell them if you change orientation or speed.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Vengarr posted:

You would be suprised how often a spread from ~8km can nail something when you fire it at the normal pubbie train. Not that you'd need to with the Mutsuki because that little bugger can get in to 6.5km safely without being spotted - 6km if you wanna push it. The travel time on the Farragut's torps is just about irrelevant - ain't no real evading a proper shot from the distance you're forced into by them anyway. And the six on the Mutsuki are already enough to blow a full-health Fuso to bits anyway when you're that close. The difference being that between higher speed, faster ruder, smaller size and the shorter detection range, the Mutsuki is actually a lot more likely to get that close without getting shot to pieces.

So if IJN DDs are a "one-trick pony without a trick", what does that make US DDs? One trick ponies whose only trick is being able to somewhat counter the in your opinion already useless and hence irrelevant IJN DDs? Sounds like one-trick ponies without a trick.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Magni posted:

So if IJN DDs are a "one-trick pony without a trick", what does that make US DDs? One trick ponies whose only trick is being able to somewhat counter the in your opinion already useless and hence irrelevant IJN DDs? Sounds like one-trick ponies without a trick.
Penetrating the decks of BBs with your super awesome 5 inch guns for 1k to 2k damage per shot

Tanadon
May 18, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Penetrating the decks of BBs with your super awesome 5 inch guns for 1k to 2k damage per shot

That excitement when compared to hitting a vessel with a full salvo of torpedoes at 7km is a little lackluster.

I'm currently stuck on the grind between the Independence and Saipan and I've yet to work out the purpose of the dive bombers. It seems to me that torpedo bombers are better in almost all respects?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tanadon posted:

That excitement when compared to hitting a vessel with a full salvo of torpedoes at 7km is a little lackluster.

I'm currently stuck on the grind between the Independence and Saipan and I've yet to work out the purpose of the dive bombers. It seems to me that torpedo bombers are better in almost all respects?
Dive bombers are really useful at either missing completely the BB you are aiming for or doing less than 400 damage if they do hit.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Tanadon posted:

Also might be a bit hyperbolic since 1k-2k damage shots are pretty rare and I think I've seen 2k like once. :v: You're probably going to be doing closer to 800 to 1100 damage per salvo average (with 2 shots hitting). That doesn't really seem like much until you remember that you're firing salvoes every 4.5s or so.

Dive bombers are good for setting ships on fire, but not when you really want or need them to.

Tanadon
May 18, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Dive bombers are really useful at either missing completely the BB you are aiming for or doing less than 400 damage if they do hit.

I was beginning to wonder if it was just me experiencing this. Let's hope they're buffed at some point so setting someone on fire is no longer the highlight of the battle when using them.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tanadon posted:

I'm currently stuck on the grind between the Independence and Saipan and I've yet to work out the purpose of the dive bombers.

Scouts and fighter bait.

Tanadon
May 18, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Also might be a bit hyperbolic since 1k-2k damage shots are pretty rare and I think I've seen 2k like once. :v: You're probably going to be doing closer to 800 to 1100 damage per salvo average (with 2 shots hitting). That doesn't really seem like much until you remember that you're firing salvoes every 4.5s or so.

Guess I shouldn't write of the Americans yet then.

El Disco posted:

Scouts and fighter bait.

Scout bait? I didn't even realise they could engage. I always save my fighter groups for either their fighters or torpedo bombers and have learnt you can pretty much ignore dive bombers.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think the "idea" behind dive bombers is to have a faster and tougher bomber squadron that can counter cruisers and possibly destroyers with their greater accuracy.

In practice they can barely land hits on a target the size of a BB, and because they are supposed to be able to hit lighter targets they aren't allowed to do much damage either. Considering the time it takes for these guys to get around they should at least be able to land a decent "cruiser salvo++" worth of damage once they do arrive - but maybe short of outright sinking a full health destroyer unless they get some criticals/citadel hits?

I remember them being quite terrifying in Navyfield for unarmored targets...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tanadon posted:

Scout bait? I didn't even realise they could engage. I always save my fighter groups for either their fighters or torpedo bombers and have learnt you can pretty much ignore dive bombers.

No, he means they can be used as scouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pimpmust posted:

I think the "idea" behind dive bombers is to have a faster and tougher bomber squadron that can counter cruisers and possibly destroyers with their greater accuracy.

In practice they can barely land hits on a target the size of a BB, and because they are supposed to be able to hit lighter targets they aren't allowed to do much damage either. Considering the time it takes for these guys to get around they should at least be able to land a decent "cruiser salvo++" worth of damage once they do arrive - but maybe short of outright sinking a full health destroyer unless they get some criticals/citadel hits?

I remember them being quite terrifying in Navyfield for unarmored targets...
Yeah I remember in navyfields them being extremely accurate and damaging. Was looking forward to using them here until I was in the receiving end of them in a BB.