Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really need to rewatch Frasier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

whenever Netflix is like "Are you still watching Frasier?" i get indignant

i will never stop watching frasier, foul robot swine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I get the feeling if anything Martin probably felt a bit sorry for Maris, though isn't the type to show it.

Given Maris still apparently manages to have men go crazy for her I have to wonder if she's literally Olive Oyl.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Given the way you people fawn over Lilith I can’t imagine a waiflike money Demon would have too hard a time finding suitors

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always pictured her as more of an alien.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lilith went through the crane family like a recessive gene

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always pictured her as more of an alien.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

You mean like the love between a man and his wife, or like the love between a man and LE CIGARE VOLANT

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Maris is basically a young female Monty Burns.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

urinal cakes

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

whenever Netflix is like "Are you still watching Frasier?" i get indignant

i will never stop watching frasier, foul robot swine

I won't either. It's been on tv (triple bill) every early morning since I can remember and it gently eases me into the day. I'm not a morning person so I don't know what I would do if they stopped showing it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quite stylish

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Maris is basically a young female Monty Burns.

I always pictured her more as a whippet, due to Niles' dog-as-Maris-avatar episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I watched the one where Frasier buys Martin a telescope and he starts flirting with some lady across the street who also has a telescope.

It was good, Niles had some good bits, David Hyde Pierce is such a great actor.

The Human Frame
Jun 9, 2019
I've recently started a rewatch and it's really impressive just how quickly all of the characters become fully realised. Obviously Grammar had many years to get Frasier down, but from his first scene David Hyde Pierce just 'is' Niles, and the same goes for the rest of the cast. The only exception seems to be Daphne, where initially they were really leaning into the 'kooky brit' side of her character. If I'm not mistaken they drop the psychic stuff almost completely at some point (though I vaguely remember it returns when she asks Niles to interpret a dream about a dragon(?) in a much later episode).

I just watched the first Lilith episode and was really tickled by the huge laugh of recognition her voice alone gets when she calls into the radio show. I guess they were pretty confident the majority of people watching in the first season had seen Cheers.

At one point Lilith, crying, says she's raising their child alone, and it really stuck out to me as one of the only times they acknowledge Frasier is pretty lovely for leaving his son in another state. It seems they're usually trying to make you actively forget he has a son whenever Frederick isn't on screen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Human Frame posted:

It seems they're usually trying to make you actively forget he has a son whenever Frederick isn't on screen.

In that episode I just mentioned they did show Frasier calling Freddy, so they were trying at one point (it was a Season 1 episode) and then I guess they just gave up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They gave up because the child actor playing Freds was like a fully realized Child from The Critic levels of disinteresting.

The Human Frame posted:

The only exception seems to be Daphne, where initially they were really leaning into the 'kooky brit' side of her character. If I'm not mistaken they drop the psychic stuff almost completely at some point
Niles gets her to be evaluated by a Psychic Debunker and she reveals her grandma said she had the shining because it was a house of boys and that made her special.

So Niles steps back and is like "yeah, you're psychic, don't nerd the test after all" and it's kind of a dumb sweet moment that caps all that off.

Before that, it was just 'psychic migranes' when Lillith was around.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh man that's lame

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually TV shows with a singular fantastical element are pretty uniformly trash but that actually makes it sweet.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Only tangentially related but I don’t want to start a cheers thread just to say this - I just got to season 7 of cheers and MAN the 80s were rapey

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not exactly hard to watch TV in the 90’s because some things were starting to emerge are weird or rude (at least with women, TV was still extremely racially segregated until very recently) but watching anything from the 80’s is like watching a weird interpretation of America performed by people who have only heard about us.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rebecca's only been around for a little more than a season and she's had to fall back on pretending Sam, who she ostensibly can't stand, is her boyfriend at least 4 times

One of them was to stymie her boss's persistent romantic advances, from forced dates to a proposal while she was drunk, that were spread out over a two-parter

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WampaLord posted:

I watched the one where Frasier buys Martin a telescope and he starts flirting with some lady across the street who also has a telescope.

It was good, Niles had some good bits, David Hyde Pierce is such a great actor.

"Send out another one? What do you think I'm running here?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I randomly saw the episode where Frasier quit the wine club and I forgot it has a couple of my absolute favorite lines (paraphrased):

Niles: "We can't discuss this as it's new business"
Frasier: "Motion to add it to new business"
Random guy: "Seconded"
Niles: "Motion carries, we'll discuss during new business"
Funny guy: "I remember when we used to come here to get drunk"

and later in the episode during a tasting

Niles: "I'm getting current and oak."
Funny guy: "I'm getting screwed in alimony."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Last year's news, but check the name of this "health awareness radio special" hosted by Seattle bands from the '90s.
https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-stone-temple-pilots-release-emotional-im-listening/

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm watching this very serious documentary about psychopathic children and this guy who looks like a cross between Frasier/Niles and talks like Niles keeps pulling me out of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm getting Tobey Macguire.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's because you're not hearing the faux british accent. He just said pro-grahm instead of program.

Anyways don't watch this documentary its depressing as hell.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Another Bill posted:

It's because you're not hearing the faux british accent. He just said pro-grahm instead of program.

what the poo poo?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

mixed in with paul manafort

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Another Bill posted:

Anyways don't watch this documentary its depressing as hell.

I love how the threads bleed together in these forums. One day a thread is talking about how this documentary exists, and now I'm reading about it in another thread.

Or it could just be a coincidence in this case.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Niles stayed at the Shangrila and I have Mother Love Bone stuck in my head

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04eXbLsxLI8

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 15, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

These Cranes are sex criminals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd loving kill to be able to get a place like the Shangri-La, but that's the 90s for you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd like to know what kind of loving building Niles lives in where you get a library as part of your living room.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall he has a episode or two about the process of applying and it's a super exclusive heritage listed luxury apartment, iirc. Comes furnished complete with its own fainting couch, and is a bit labyrinthine. Basically, the apartment version of an old, classy, probably haunted mansion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's also so old it can't have an ac unit in it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
But the neighbors- all they do is complain. Sunshine, rain!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to know what kind of loving building Niles lives in where you get a library as part of your living room.

the library, study, and gift wrapping room are all separate from the living room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It has a third floor?!