Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Professors in college use a syllabus and a textbook.

You don’t really need the professor if you can read a textbook, right?

Wrong - professors spend their lives understanding the material and add perspective to the written word. Also, teachers can be great encouragers and disciplinarians when you don’t meet expectations.

get a book and set goals with your teacher. About what you want to be able to do every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Captain Apollo posted:

Professors in college use a syllabus and a textbook.

You don’t really need the professor if you can read a textbook, right?

Wrong - professors spend their lives understanding the material and add perspective to the written word. Also, teachers can be great encouragers and disciplinarians when you don’t meet expectations.

get a book and set goals with your teacher. About what you want to be able to do every month.

That’s fair. I tried just reading the “textbook” (truefire and ebooks) on my own and recognized that I wasn’t progressing like I wanted to, which is why I signed up for lessons.

I guess I expect the college professor to create the syllabus and give a rough idea of what we’ll be doing and where we should be on the first, second, etc. week of class. It would be weird if I signed up for a college class and showed up the first day and the professor asked the class “so what do you want to learn/discuss today?”

I guess the converse is that I wouldn’t just sign up for “History”, I’d sign up for “Aboriginal Australian History from Pre-History to 1850” or whatever, so I get that there may be an onus on me to narrow things down.

I guess the problem is that my instructor is approaching things like we’re doing a 3rd year independent study when I’m looking for more of a freshman/sophomore “Intro to Pentatonic Blues” class. And either I’m doing a poor job of explaining what I need or he’s doing a poor job of hearing what I’m saying.

I probably stretched the college analogy to the breaking point.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lawen posted:

This is my favorite, too. And it's like $8.50 for enough to last for months and months.

The Australian amazon link wants you to throw down $A96 for that kit, no thanks. I'll hit my local bunnings warehouse, they probably have that kind of cleaner in gallon tins.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not sure how that switch works, but I think that single lug to the right is the input and the two outer lugs on the left are the output, probably assigned for the active one being the opposite of the way the switch is pointed (ie if you were to hold the switch and switch it to the left, the right lug would be the "active" one and vice versa). Basically switch the two black wires going into it.

I’ll try switching them around, it’s got to be something like that, thank you.

I was going by this diagram, it seems that the north start (black from pickup)goes to one of the outer of the three, like you said the outer ones are for neck and bridge.

Pretty sure this is how it works

quote:

edit: if you're using that 3-way rocker I'm also going to guess the middle position would also be "on" but who fuckin knows

Yeah that’s fine

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Just got back from the Guitar Center after trading some stuff in and I can confirm that the Squier Contemporary Active Jazzmaster Spanish Manlove was gushing about is in fact a ripper. I ended up going home with an Ibanez S521, though. The thing is so insanely light when I brought it in from the car I had a brief moment of "oh gently caress did I leave it back at the store".

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Lawen posted:

Double post but no gear talk in this one.

At 40 years old I started taking guitar lessons again. Hey, at least it's like the most benign type of midlife crisis.

I've gone in the last couple of weeks and my instructor has asked "So, what do you want to talk about?" and I don't have a good answer. So we talk generally about theory, which is enjoyable and I've learned a few things from, but generally feels more academic than practical. I get the feeling that my (Berklee™️ educated) instructor really knows and likes talking about theory and is very good at songwriting/composition and would be a phenomenal teacher if I were putting in the time every day to learn new stuff until I get stuck on something to ask him about.

But I'm a grownup with responsibilities who can maybe squeeze in 30 mins/day during the week and 1-2 hours on the weekend and I don't know that I can self-direct my learning enough to only go to him with the things that I get stuck on. I think that I need a more prescriptive curriculum where I tell him my short-to-mid-term goal (e.g. be comfortable improvising over 12-bar blues) and he works out a path to get me there. Instead, he's basically said that he's not great at prescriptive and if that's what I need, we can work through a Mel Bay book together. But if that's my route, I don't really understand what I'm paying him for...I'll just buy a Mel Bay book and watch Truefire videos.

I guess this is a "I want to break up but need goons to tell me to break up" post but maybe I don't really understand how music instruction works? I basically want Justin Sandercoe in the Captains Privates series to be my teacher. I need someone to give me homework, hold me to putting in the time, and give me a path forward where I feel like I'm making progress even when it's hard.

I know there are some guitar teachers in this thread and probably some students too. What do I need to talk about with my current teacher to get us on the same page? Or, if he's not the right teacher for me, what do I need to ask/look for in my next teacher?

what's your experience level with guitar? do know how to play a minor pentatonic scale in all 5 positions? can you use barre chords to play a song?

what do you know about theory today? is this news to you? the ideas of "diatonic chords" and "harmonized major scales"
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons/43
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons/46

for understanding music theory concepts: you can read all about it, but you won't grasp the salience of it until you can play it on the instrument. if you only know the open chords, that will only get you so far

once you can play Cmaj7, Dmin7, Emin7, Fmaj7, G7, Amin7, and B-half-diminished as barre chords, you'll be well on your way. i'd make this your goal with your instructor.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

$400 Starcaster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MWTBdMRAU

There's going to be an Affinity (and a really pretty Contemporary) one too, but the pickups on that aren't wide-range humbuckers, so interest is less.

I'll have to try it out if it ever hits local stores.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

Just got back from the Guitar Center after trading some stuff in and I can confirm that the Squier Contemporary Active Jazzmaster Spanish Manlove was gushing about is in fact a ripper. I ended up going home with an Ibanez S521, though. The thing is so insanely light when I brought it in from the car I had a brief moment of "oh gently caress did I leave it back at the store".

Those new squiers with active pickups are the best bang for your buck metal guitars right now. The tuners work but if you have the money to replace them, I recommend it.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
ebay junkrod build

Only registered members can see post attachments!

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
other side

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
calling it the doodoocaster. started with the poocaster but a guitarbro pointed out fender casters were all 2 syllables and so doodoocaster it is

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
the pinstriping, apparently an ebay citizen named speedy did it

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
body was like 15 bux
neck was a chinese $20 job (its quite nice)
pickup was a dragonfire duncan clone i had laying around
also the pot was a leftover from another build
i think the most i spent was on the poo emoji gold hardware lol

at most it was like $80

e:wait no, i spent like another $80 on fer real sperzel tuners lol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That poo poo is red hot

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

motorocker posted:

the pinstriping, apparently an ebay citizen named speedy did it

:distonk: That poo poo is on fire

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

motorocker posted:

other side

Gonna do inlays like that on the next build I do. That's the good stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Why is the Lth fret two below the 6th fret?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

More importantly-- where can I get that neck?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why is the Lth fret two below the 6th fret?

He said it was a Chinese neck, so it's obviously metric.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, I won't be buying D'Addario's flatwound .12's again. I was setting the intonation at the saddle on the wound G and the winding snapped with enough force to cut my finger open. Good thing my order of Pyramids came in.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Those are good strings. That's like saying you'd never drive a Toyota again bc you got in a wreck turning out of the lot.

Work on your reflexes as well, dodge a popped string like a ninja

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

D’Addario has really great customer service, you should send them an email about that.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Hmm wonder where they got the idea for that neck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fried Sushi posted:

Still a favorite of mine tbh

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat

Fried Sushi posted:

the whole build is ripped from some of my favorite hotrod guitars. the "inlays" are just stickers, you can do a google search "jason becker neck inlay" and find them on the cheap. we will see how they hold up to some shred.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fried Sushi posted:

That reminds me, I've been thinking about adding some new inlays to the side of the neck to be easier to recognize at a glance. Probably two dots on 5, 9, 15, and 19 and three dots on the 12. Keep the other single dots.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How well do any of those stickers work? I could see the side lasting but don’t the ones on the fretboard get torn up immediately?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The more people go "what the gently caress this sounds awful" the more metal it is.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Siivola posted:

The more people go "what the gently caress this sounds awful" the more metal it is.

thank you for confirming that I am in fact the pound for pound most metal guitarist in the universe

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

D’Addario has really great customer service, you should send them an email about that.

I'll give that a shot. Luckily, it was late enough at night that I didn't swap out the strings, so it's still on. It's weird that the winding popped but the core remained intact, though. I've been playing for 23 years now and never saw that happening.

I am Otis posted:

Those are good strings. That's like saying you'd never drive a Toyota again bc you got in a wreck turning out of the lot.

Work on your reflexes as well, dodge a popped string like a ninja

I like the strings a lot prior to that, but have you ever tried Pyramid strings? They're expensive, but my God are they nice. They play well, sound great, and even their round wounds last forever.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I decided against selling my old Jackson Dinky and am instead re-stringing it with 11-52's to make it my drop-weird tuning guitar. She's getting oiled up and set up after that gauge jump and then I'm probably going to play Deftones in drop C# for the rest of the night as loud as possible. Don't know if this belongs in stupid music poo poo or here. Relevant to previous discussion, though: I've been using Linseed oil to clean and condition all my fretboards and it does a solid job. Got a little lifetime supply bottle pictured here off Amazon for :10bux: or so.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did those EMG's fix the Dinky muddiness?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I don't have a baseline to compare to because I bought it second hand with the EMGs already in place, but they're plenty bright and really high output ... When they work. This guitar has been a constant source of frustration for me ever since I bought it. Just now after doing the re-string I'm getting these intermittent dropouts that put out really loud pops. I forgot that this thing was such a pain. I've changed the battery for a fresh one, I replaced the input jack a while back thinking it was the contacts losing touch when moving, but it's still there. I basically can't play the fun heavy stuff unless I'm sitting perfectly still, which is impossible.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
Love me some mij Jackson's and yeah, emgs really bring the sound to life. I've never really had a problem w my dinky or rr w emgs other than bad battery or strings or whatever.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Snowy posted:

How well do any of those stickers work? I could see the side lasting but don’t the ones on the fretboard get torn up immediately?

They're pretty good. Very thing so you don't notice them under your fingers but also pretty hard wearing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have a clip-on tuner that works great, but tears through batteries like a mofo. What are people using that they like a lot?

Also, last night I sat in with a friend's band. It was the first time I've played in front of people in 23 years, and the first time ever sober. It was both terrifying and fun!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Potentially stupid question regarding neck radiuses :goonsay: *radii

When people talk about a 9" radius, do they mean "if the neck extended to be a complete circle, it would have a radius of 9"" ?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yes.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
:goonsay: Yes, but the correct term is either "fretboard radius" or "fingerboard radius," since the neck itself is usually flat. You'd generally use the term "neck profile" to describe the width, depth and shape of a neck. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lumpy posted:

I have a clip-on tuner that works great, but tears through batteries like a mofo. What are people using that they like a lot?

The Fender bullet tuner is fantastic.