Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love gray/black cladding on colorful cars. Give me a black lower cladding Outback/Forester/etc. all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

davebo posted:

I guess I wouldn't bother removing it, but imagine how much better that would look if it just matched the rest of the car.

I know exactly how it would look because a buddy in California just had his scuba blue allroad flares painted to match. I'm not a fan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DropShadow posted:

I know exactly how it would look because a buddy in California just had his scuba blue allroad flares painted to match. I'm not a fan.

You spend a bunch of effort to bring the thing back down when the manufacturer spent a bunch of effort putting it up to begin with and it's just a silly circle of wasted time imho when it could have served well enough the whole time not trying to make an Audi wagon something it is not.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

You spend a bunch of effort to bring the thing back down when the manufacturer spent a bunch of effort putting it up to begin with and it's just a silly circle of wasted time imho when it could have served well enough the whole time not trying to make an Audi wagon something it is not.

But driving on the bump stops is cool. You don't really need those fillings anyway.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

But driving on the bump stops is cool. You don't really need those fillings anyway.

Look at this guy who doesn't know what air suspension is.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Isn't that a wagon to begin with tho?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's a wagon with a lift kit and the body cladding off a post-refresh Pontiac Aztek, so a crossover.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Olivil posted:

Isn't that a wagon to begin with tho?

It's a taller A4 Avant with plastic bits and A5 suspension pieces.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Hot take man. What other cars should people not bother modifying?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

You took offense when I was insulting VW. They wasted effort because the people with ~passion~ for wagons will not bother jacking them up, they usually do what DropShadow does and bags it. Cars generally look a lot better when lower rather than higher and the way the people modify them kind of lines right up with that.
Sorry about your reverse-hot-take tho.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Pretty much all of them, most modding is loving stupid and ruins the car.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
tbf the air suspension on that Audi was probably going bad anyway so it's really like preventative maintenance

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Pretty much all of them, most modding is loving stupid and ruins the car.

You realise you are posting in AI and not 'forum for loser dads who hate fun' right?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Laserface posted:

You realise you are posting in AI and not 'forum for loser dads who hate fun' right?

Counter-point: it's still SA

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Dislike button posted:

tbf the air suspension on that Audi was probably going bad anyway so it's really like preventative maintenance

It didn't have air suspension before. Superb joke though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Autoblog posted:

General Motors, Ford and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV posted declines in US new vehicle sales for June on Monday, while major Japanese automakers reported stronger figures. Once again, demand for pickup trucks and crossovers offset a decline in sedan sales.

Automakers' shares rose as overall industry sales still came in above Wall Street expectations.

The US auto industry is bracing for a downturn after hitting a record 17.55 million new vehicles sold in 2016. Analysts had predicted that overall, US vehicle sales would fall in June for the fourth consecutive month.

As the market has shown signs of cooling, automakers have hiked discounts and loosened lending terms.

Car shopping website Edmunds said on Monday the average length of a car loan reached an all-time high of 69.3 months in June.

"It's financially risky, leaving borrowers exposed to being upside down on their vehicles for a large chunk of their loans," said Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds' executive director of industry analysis.

GM said its sales fell about 5 percent versus June 2016, but that the industry would see stronger sales in the second half of 2017 versus the first half.
"Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate US retail vehicle sales will remain strong for the foreseeable future."

GM shares were up 2.4 percent in morning trading, while Ford rose 3.3 percent and FCA shares jumped 6 percent.

"US total sales are moderating due to an industry-wide pullback in daily rental sales, but key US economic fundamentals clearly remain positive," said GM chief economist Mustafa Mohatarem. "Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate US retail vehicle sales will remain strong for the foreseeable future."

Ford said its sales for June were hit by lower fleet sales to rental agencies, businesses, and government entities, which fell 13.9 percent, while sales to consumers were flat. But it sold a record 406,464 SUVs in the first half of the year, with Explorer sales increasing 23 percent in June. And sales of the F-150 had their strongest June since 2001.

On a media call, Ford executives said an initial read of automakers' sales figures indicated a seasonally adjusted annualized rate of around 17 million new vehicles for the month, which would be better than 16.6 million units analysts had predicted.

FCA said June sales decreased 7 percent versus the same month a year earlier.

Toyota said sales rose 2.1 percent versus June 2016 and said it saw strong gains in the RAV4, a light SUV, sales of which increased 24.7 percent. Sales of another SUV, the 4Runner, rose 16.6 percent.

But sales at Toyota's Lexus luxury car brand fell 5.4 percent on the year.

Nissan said its US sales increased 2 percent. But while truck, SUV and crossover sales jumped 19.5 percent, sedan sales dropped 12.1 percent. In the past few years, Americans have increasingly shunned smaller passenger cars in favor of larger vehicles. Sales of its Infiniti luxury brand were up 11 percent.

Honda said sales for June were up 0.8 percent.

awww yeah gimme those incentives and 72 month loans

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dislike button posted:

awww yeah gimme those incentives and 72 month loans

They're already here. KIA is currently promoting 0 payments for 5 months plus 66 months 0% financing. Haven't checked other manufacturers, but there's going to be deals to be had before they finally decide to cut production.

edit: Holy poo poo, Ford is offering 84 month loans now with 3.9 to 4.9% APR. It's like they don't realize whats coming, or they don't care.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 3, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

skipdogg posted:

They're already here. KIA is currently promoting 0 payments for 5 months plus 66 months 0% financing. Haven't checked other manufacturers, but there's going to be deals to be had before they finally decide to cut production.

edit: Holy poo poo, Ford is offering 84 month loans now with 3.9 to 4.9% APR. It's like they don't realize whats coming, or they don't care.

gotta keep the factories running

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

skipdogg posted:

No one wants to be the one that blinks

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

skipdogg posted:

What's the over under on which manufacturers survive?

I figure BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, GM make it. Ford is on the bubble. VAG, FCM, Honda, Korean brands all circling the drain.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I figure BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, GM make it. Ford is on the bubble. VAG, FCM, Honda, Korean brands all circling the drain.

KIA / Hyundai will survive if only due to how integral they are to the Korean economy and will get a government bailout.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I am legit afraid for Mazda.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

kimcicle posted:

KIA / Hyundai will survive if only due to how integral they are to the Korean economy and will get a government bailout.

I wonder how much their sister companies would support the car businesses. Korean conglomerates are so confusing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on a 17 Buick LaCrosse. Basically picked the one on the lot that had been there longest. 20% off and 1.9% financing for 60 months.

It's a great time to buy a new car, especially ones that are not popular.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Hell yeah. Gonna get a King Ranch F-150 for 84 months.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I wonder how much their sister companies would support the car businesses. Korean conglomerates are so confusing.

I think now they are technically separate entities, but yeah, nobody would blink if another one of their sister companies (more than likely Hyundai Development Company due to how much cash reserves they have) stepped in to keep them afloat.

Cratering of the US market wouldn't be too bad for Kia / Hyundai since the bulk of their sales are in China / Korea based on volume.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Mitsubishi will finally disappear from North America.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

How is GM "make it" and Ford is "on the bubble"? They've consistently been the healthiest US automaker since the other two got bailouts.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ultimate Mango posted:

No idea. Off the top of my head the 2 I would be most worried about are Mitsubishi and FCA just because they've been financing almost anyone these days. Where I live you go to Mitsu or Dodge if you need a car and help getting a loan.
I might try to dig and find some data on how their auto loans are performing. The bank my wife works at is super exposed to the auto market and they just dumped 22 thousand delinquent auto loans to get away from them. Looking at their Mar 2017 filing, they have 60M in auto loans 60-180 days delinquent.

Finance arms might be able to absorb losses at current delinquiency rates, but any little hiccup in the economy and this whole pile of cards is going to come crashing down.

It sucks for me, the last car we leased we traded in early with 2500 in equity. It held it's value really well. I've told my wife to be extra careful with the current lease because we're probably going to be turning it back in to Ford as I don't think it will be worth the residual at the end of the lease. I definitely don't see 2500 in equity at the 30th month right now.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What on earth are you people talking about, half these posts are just complete nonsense. Survive what? You know who is going to make it because you know what types of people buy their cars? Stretch is the generous word for just picking your favorite brands and saying all the rest are doomed on the basis of nothing.

Sales are expected to decline this year and next in most segments, but actually expand in profitable ones. Everyone knows this is coming, don't worry Ford isn't going out of business

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think anyone will go out of business (Mitsu could exit the market possibly) , but there's a big shitstorm coming that's going to affect auto manufacturers in a bad way. They're making way too many cars, and they don't look like they're going to slow down.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

How is GM "make it" and Ford is "on the bubble"? They've consistently been the healthiest US automaker since the other two got bailouts.

Their shareholders seem pretty stupid though

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

Ford was able to secure a bunch of money right before the crash. It's the only reason they didn't need a bailout too. They would have been just as hosed as everyone else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimcicle posted:

I think now they are technically separate entities, but yeah, nobody would blink if another one of their sister companies (more than likely Hyundai Development Company due to how much cash reserves they have) stepped in to keep them afloat.

Cratering of the US market wouldn't be too bad for Kia / Hyundai since the bulk of their sales are in China / Korea based on volume.

Even aside from that, word has it that the Korean government is feeling very burned on the GM/Daewoo deal now that they're trying to end Korean production, and would probably step in rather than allow their final remaining native automaker to get swallowed up by a foreign company.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I don't think anyone will go out of business (Mitsu could exit the market possibly) , but there's a big shitstorm coming that's going to affect auto manufacturers in a bad way. They're making way too many cars, and they don't look like they're going to slow down.

I work for a second teir automotive supplier and we've seen a downturn in business and our customers are predicting things will slow down even more before the end of the summer. They're slowing down.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really want a Wrangler but I am lusting so hard over this color combination.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Their shareholders seem pretty stupid though

That tends to describe shareholders in general

quote:

The bank my wife works at is super exposed to the auto market and they just dumped 22 thousand delinquent auto loans to get away from them. Looking at their Mar 2017 filing, they have 60M in auto loans 60-180 days delinquent.

Finance arms might be able to absorb losses at current delinquiency rates, but any little hiccup in the economy and this whole pile of cards is going to come crashing down.

Wether or not car makers are in trouble, the 60+ days thing here is what's concerning. If that's repeated across a range of finance institutions, that's a genuinely bad sign.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't really want a Wrangler but I am lusting so hard over this color combination.

Ok chief.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

fknlo posted:

Ford was able to secure a bunch of money right before the crash. It's the only reason they didn't need a bailout too. They would have been just as hosed as everyone else.

They secured that money by selling Aston, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo. What does that have to do with anything? I was pointing out, they've been the healthiest post-bailout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Isn't the fact that Ford ~fixed~ itself right before the storm hit something that should be commended? They fixed themselves without a helping hand from the government which is totally what you'd want in capitalism, right? How is that a negative?