Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I think the method of carbonation can affect it too. If you burst carb it over a short amount of time, it'll be more likely to come out of solution than if you do it low and slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Ghostnuke posted:

I think the method of carbonation can affect it too. If you burst carb it over a short amount of time, it'll be more likely to come out of solution than if you do it low and slow.

I did a rock-and-roll on it for like 20min @ 40psi, then 48hrs at 40psi (all cold), now it's been on high serving pressure (15psi?) since Saturday. I'll probably just leave it on that for the next week or 2.

internet celebrity posted:

How long is your tap line and what is the inner diameter? It might need more restriction for higher carbonation levels.

Off the top of my head, 8 or 12ft of 3/16th ID tubing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You need a whole bunch more line, but also if you're shooting for high carbonation, you need a much higher serving pressure to keep it in solution. Burst it and then reduce to whatever psi the math says you need for the carb level you want. Serving pressure is a function of dissolved co2. Dropping below that will just drag co2 out of solution.

e: also get it as cold as you dare.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 29, 2019

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
OK looks like I need to double my line length and ramp up my serving pressure from 12 to ~18 for this keg.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finished the collar for the keezer build this past weekend. I may have used too much silicone sealant because holy hell does it stink inside the thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scarf posted:

Finished the collar for the keezer build this past weekend. I may have used too much silicone sealant because holy hell does it stink inside the thing.

Did you leave it off and open for 24hrs so that it could cure completely? Even if you did, it'll still off gas for a few more days. Are you sticking with picnic taps for now or are you drilling holes for shanks? Also, looks good! Kegs are wonderful.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jhet posted:

Did you leave it off and open for 24hrs so that it could cure completely? Even if you did, it'll still off gas for a few more days. Are you sticking with picnic taps for now or are you drilling holes for shanks? Also, looks good! Kegs are wonderful.

Yeah, it cured open, and I'm definitely going to let it air out a few more days before I hook up the distributor and lines and such. Smells like a dildo factory...

Definitely drilling for taps. Gonna start with 2 (since I currently only have 2 kegs) and expand to 4 eventually.

And I agree! It took me all of one batch of bottling before I immediately moved to kegging. I just took my sweet rear end time getting a keezer together; up until a few weeks ago I'd just been using the chest freezer for fermentation and conditioning, serving out of a picnic tap. Now that I have the new upright freezer all wired up, I figured it'd be a good time to start the conversion.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Is it cool to use zinc plated Oetiker clamps with beverage tubing? Or do you want to stick with stainless, even though it shouldn't be coming in contact with anything?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Shouldn't be a problem. In a beer fridge environment, they may start to look scabby pretty quickly, and stainless is going to be nicer looking for longer, but the zinc plate ones wouldn't hurt anything I can think of.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

Shouldn't be a problem. In a beer fridge environment, they may start to look scabby pretty quickly, and stainless is going to be nicer looking for longer, but the zinc plate ones wouldn't hurt anything I can think of.

Good to know! I guess my main concern is possibly corroding the lines...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sorry to be bogarting this page of the thread...

All of my shanks/fittings/tubing/etc. to finish off my keezer build are arriving this weekend. Any special concerns around cleaning/sanitizing before slapping it all together? I was just going to give it my typical brew-day routine. Clean with colorless/odorless soap, then starsan. The problem is the bev tubing... I'm dealing with 2x 10ft sections of tubing, and I don't have any snakes/brushes that are that long. Plus, all of my kegs are currently occupied so I don't have a way to pump the water/starsan through the lines. Definitely gonna order a used corny for that purpose alone...

Am I good to just soak the tubes in both the cleaning water and the starsan? I just want to get rid of any plasticy taste that might come with new lines.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Put a gallon of prepared star-san in a keg, and use CO2 to push it through the lines, shanks, and faucets. Throw away the first pint of beer you draw, then drink the second one.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

Put a gallon of prepared star-san in a keg, and use CO2 to push it through the lines, shanks, and faucets. Throw away the first pint of beer you draw, then drink the second one.

Right, problem is, all my kegs are occupied :\

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM-Subme...ay&sr=8-12&th=1

It can circulate through many draft lines concurrently. I would do a bucket with hot cleaner, then a bucket with water, then a bucket with sanitizer. You'll have to piece together your own connections, but it's not too difficult. I have the 770gph one so that I can also use it for a keg cleaner setup with a rotary cleaning ball.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MV72NIS/?coliid=I3NAID71XVXXEO&colid=17X8GZMX8HX0S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That takes a bit more tubing, but you can easily throw something together with mediocre plumbing skills like I have. Just use bev tubing for as much as possible and I bought 1/2" pvc to make it stand up straight. Or at least that's what will happen if I ever actually take an afternoon and put it all together. But I have a hydroponics table and thing to throw together before the sun leaves again so that I can have better options for eating in the winter.

E: Or just buy more kegs.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 1, 2019

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Jhet posted:

E: Or just buy more kegs.

https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2019/...repair-tip.html

And some 3m window weld.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
My kveik pale ale is done and it just tastes like a regular beer. Next time I do it, I'm gonna heat the fermenter up a bit so it throws off some more telltale flavors. At room temp it was just a VERY aggressive and attenuative yeast. It flocculated really well too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

drat, nice! Thanks for sharing.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I've been brewing with my regular municipal water supply, and I have been unhappy with my hoppy beers. I think I am going to try making water from RO for my next hoppy batches to see if that makes the difference I am looking for. What kind of water profile would you all suggest?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
have you tried just going to the grocery store and using their absopure RO machine or whatever?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

I've been brewing with my regular municipal water supply, and I have been unhappy with my hoppy beers. I think I am going to try making water from RO for my next hoppy batches to see if that makes the difference I am looking for. What kind of water profile would you all suggest?

What are some of your favorite hoppy beers? Can't hurt to either reach out or search online for their water profiles.

From just some cursory searching, Pliny the Elder's profiles looks like:

CA - 76
MG - 13
NA - 9
HCO3 - 26
SO4 - 133
CL - 56

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Because I know other people cared about this too, some news about Northern Brewer.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190711005456/en/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I found a brand new $600 hot stir plate for $200, and then discovered I have poor self-control and bought it.

I don't have any flasks at my apartment, so I'm stirring and heating water in a saucier to test. :v: I've never been more pumped to make a yeast starter.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hypnolobster posted:

I found a brand new $600 hot stir plate for $200, and then discovered I have poor self-control and bought it.

I don't have any flasks at my apartment, so I'm stirring and heating water in a saucier to test. :v: I've never been more pumped to make a yeast starter.

A+ find. That would be amazing. I have one of those little computer fan housing sized ones. It works, but I bet that works better.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Color looks just about right for a lighter Flemish red/oud bruin. The flavor is great, but the whiskey from the barrels is powerful. That’s what I get for a first fill after emptying the barrels of whiskey. 🤷‍♂️

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gamera009 posted:

Color looks just about right for a lighter Flemish red/oud bruin. The flavor is great, but the whiskey from the barrels is powerful. That’s what I get for a first fill after emptying the barrels of whiskey. 🤷‍♂️

That's a really awesome color. You can always blend or leave it in another vessel to see if the oak mellows a little, but waiting longer is not as much fun.

I threw together a quick sour brown saison last week and it's currently sitting and finishing in a keg on 2oz of Cashmere hops with some packaging dextrose to try to avoid any possibility of THP. Turned out just a little darker than that one, but most of the character is coming from 3726 and not mixed ferm.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Jhet posted:

That's a really awesome color. You can always blend or leave it in another vessel to see if the oak mellows a little, but waiting longer is not as much fun.

I threw together a quick sour brown saison last week and it's currently sitting and finishing in a keg on 2oz of Cashmere hops with some packaging dextrose to try to avoid any possibility of THP. Turned out just a little darker than that one, but most of the character is coming from 3726 and not mixed ferm.

I haven't had a chance to check out cashmere. How does it compare to other big fruity hops?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gamera009 posted:

I haven't had a chance to check out cashmere. How does it compare to other big fruity hops?

I'm not sure how big it'll be exactly. Quick sour, so dry hop only, and I haven't used it before. My wife did make fun of me when I opened the bag, smelled them, and proceeded to sigh, so they're very aromatic. The nose smelled citrusy, and very floral, but not a ton of melon just in the leaf aroma.

I have 6oz left and I'm planning on putting it in a hoppy saison with a normal grist and possibly blending with Sabro for an IPA.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just got my first beer that dramatically missed its FG.

Brewed up a 3.5 liter batch of this basic APA attempt. No extract was used:

code:
87.2% Pale Ale malt
10.3% Munich
2.6% Wheat

Cascade 7g @ 60, 10, and 1 minute
Irish Moss @ 10

Fermented with US-05 @ 18 degrees Celsius

Est. OG: 1.052
Est. FG: 1.009
So my OG was pretty much right on the money on brew day. I figured fermentation would be done within around a week (mostly confirmed by visual inspection, the kraeusen dropped down about 4-5 days after pitching), but I let it sit for a total of three weeks in the carboy because I didn't have time or inclination to bottle.

Bottled up today, and my FG was at a surprising (and really disappointing) 1.022. I am at a loss for determining why, as I've never had a stuck fermentation issue before (much less with US-05, which has always treated me well).

Tasted my sample and it was very sweet. Hard to get a feel for the character of the beer when it's room-temperature and flat, but I can't help but just be kinda meh about the whole thing.

I'm still newish to all-grain, could I have had issues with mash temperature being too swingy and inconsistent? I shot for 68 degrees Celsius the whole time, but since I did it on my stovetop, it probably swung back and forth between 62 and 75 or so for the entirety of the mash.

Should I, uh, be worried that the bottles I just filled are going to explode? I mean, three weeks in the fermenter is more than enough to make sure that the yeast fermented everything it was gonna ferment... right?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
It was almost certainly your mash temperature being too high. For most standard beers you want to mash in the 64-66*C range. A higher temp than that will create more unfermentable sugars which will leave you with a higher final gravity. I wouldn't worry too much about bottle bombs, but if you notice them getting more carbonated over time go ahead and throw them in the fridge just to be safe.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
What yeast are you using? That level of expected attenuation is pretty high, higher than basically anything but a saison strain.

Edit: Oh, you said US-05. That’s definitely too high of an attenuation then. The range on that is usually in the low to mid 70% range. 1.009 would be like 83%. That’s probably part of the issue.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 4, 2019

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I brewed the meadowsweet kveik I was planning tonight (thanks Jhet for the tips, I ended up just going with White Labs Opshaug because my LBS had it, but handy to know about other sources in the future). I can tell you that the meadowsweet smells incredible during the boil. For a 21l batch I ended up using 105g of dried meadowsweet, and another 30g fresh flowers for good measure. I also found some yarrow growing near me and added 20g of fresh leaves and flowers for 20 minutes. We'll see if it turns out drinkable in a few days I guess. Couldn't find any juniper locally for the authentic Norwegian farmhouse experience, but I'm keeping an eye out when hiking so I can try a juniper branch infusion some time.

Also I posted a while back about an apple beer I was making with cherries in the fermenter. Ended up with about 1.5kg of pitted cherries (from 3.3kg with pits and stems) and the beer came out a beautiful pinkish colour with a nice cherry aroma, but the cherry flavour is very subtle. I think next time I'd probably go with at least 2.5kg in the fermenter to get a stronger flavour. It was extremely drinkable for 6.5% ABV. Actually all my grafs have been tasty and very easy drinking - I definitely recommend trying it as a quick, cheap and easy beer to drink while you have something more involved ageing.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 7, 2019

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

rockcity posted:

What yeast are you using? That level of expected attenuation is pretty high, higher than basically anything but a saison strain.

Edit: Oh, you said US-05. That’s definitely too high of an attenuation then. The range on that is usually in the low to mid 70% range. 1.009 would be like 83%. That’s probably part of the issue.

Not arguing, but I typically get attenuation in the low 80’s with US05, so it doesn’t seem that out of line to me. I usually mash like 63-66°C tho.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gamera009 posted:

First impression after dry hop is that this is going to be a really interesting beer. There's a lot of cantaloupe in the palate after dry hopping, and a hint of the lemon/lime that plays really well with the mild sourness from the lacto. The brown malt is muted and balanced really well with the yeast. There's also some floral/earthy playing with the yeast, so I'm not sure where the malt ends and yeast flavors begin. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to get any head retention on sours. There's absolutely none considering the 30% wheat, but is plenty carbonated.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thanks again for this. My "loose handle" keg arrived yesterday, and without loose handles! It wasn't even as ratted out as I was expecting. Granted I haven't taken it apart yet, but it came pressurized as advertised, so if nothing else it should work perfectly for my cleaning-keg.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
:toot:

They usually have decent prices and sales, and homebrewfinds is good at getting you to spend money. Glad it arrived better than expected!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fresh hop Fuggles saison day. I’m expecting to lose 1 gallon, so made a 6 gallon batch to be fermented with 3726. I also did a protein rest, because I’ve been getting a lot of chill haze that I don’t want this time. Hopefully it will work and not be too thin.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jhet posted:

Fresh hop Fuggles saison day. I’m expecting to lose 1 gallon, so made a 6 gallon batch to be fermented with 3726. I also did a protein rest, because I’ve been getting a lot of chill haze that I don’t want this time. Hopefully it will work and not be too thin.

Mmmmm fuggles. That reminds me that I need to brew another batch of my best bitter for this fall. Did you grow them yourself?

And on the subject of new/upcoming brews, I'm brewing my festbier recipe next weekend and I'm already watering at the mouth for Fall beers :dance:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scarf posted:

Mmmmm fuggles. That reminds me that I need to brew another batch of my best bitter for this fall. Did you grow them yourself?

And on the subject of new/upcoming brews, I'm brewing my festbier recipe next weekend and I'm already watering at the mouth for Fall beers :dance:

I did. They're on their third year, but I only got 6.61 ounces due to the aforementioned hop merchant caterpillars and their alternate form Question Mark butterflies. They put a fair dent in the production, even though I caught them on the first day after they emerged.

It was one of the clearest beers going into fermenter I've done in a while, and that's probably due to the protein rest and how the 7oz of hop matter filtered most of the precipitates out of the wort going into the fermenter. It tastes bright and wonderful on the way in, and with the saison yeast I'm less worried about it being thin due to the glycerol production they tend to have.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Anyone here know where I could get a liquid proof food-safe plastic bag, durable enough that it's not going to break after a couple uses, that could reasonable hold enough (or close to enough) liquid to fill a corny keg?

I want this because I'd like to find a way to serve stuff like chilled still coffee, or wine, or vermut on tap, but still use my CO2 system; the idea would be to have the liquid dip-tube inside the bag, with the top of the bag clamped closed to the top of the dip-tube in the non-liquid filled head-space of the keg, and let the presurized CO2 'squeeze' the bag when the tap is open in order to pour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JawKnee posted:

Anyone here know where I could get a liquid proof food-safe plastic bag, durable enough that it's not going to break after a couple uses, that could reasonable hold enough (or close to enough) liquid to fill a corny keg?

I want this because I'd like to find a way to serve stuff like chilled still coffee, or wine, or vermut on tap, but still use my CO2 system; the idea would be to have the liquid dip-tube inside the bag, with the top of the bag clamped closed to the top of the dip-tube in the non-liquid filled head-space of the keg, and let the presurized CO2 'squeeze' the bag when the tap is open in order to pour

They literally make bags that do this. https://evcontainer.com/ They take their own system of course, but hook up with a Sankey D. I'm sure there are others out there too. The other thing you should know is that you don't actually need a bag to do that. You can just put the coffee, wine, whatever in and serve on low pressure (3-4 psi). It will be basically still, but cuts out the plastic bag. You may just need a secondary regulator if you're running it off the same system as beer. But a single secondary regulator is cheaper than all those bags.

https://winemakermag.com/technique/416-kegging-wine-techniques posted:

If you like, you can also go with a standard CO2 setup. If you turn the gas off and pull the pressure relief valve each time you serve wine, it will only absorb a small amount of CO2 — enough that you might occasionally see a lone bubble when you pour, but far from enough to make the wine seem fizzy or gassy. A CO2 setup will also allow you to also use your keg for sparkling wine production as well as beer brewing and soda making. Various sparkling wine making methods — including using a Cornelius keg as a pressure vessel, known as the Charmat method — can be found on a search at Winemakermag.com. You can start here though.