Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like it was almost a theme back then with devs going 'You want more of the thing you like? You dumb idiot babies, you'll like what we tell you to like!' and it usually takes a few high profile flops and running all of their cash cows into the ground to come crawling back with 'We have the thing you like again! It's just how you remember it! Please buy it!'

Remember XCOM?
Not to relitigate 2005 forum wars but Bethesda's weirdly hostile approach to Fallout 3 was a particular example of this. RPGCodex/NMA are certainly odd places but Pete Hines openly said that he hoped everyone who liked Fallout 1 and 2 would just die, and at that point it's like lads why are you even reviving this series you hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SubNat posted:

Here's to hoping they learned from that whole 'Growing up' fiasco. (Or whatever that Odyssey DLC achievement was called.)

Ubisoft has uh, a lot to learn from.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Resource gathering just came up either here or in the complainy game thread, but Ghost of Tsushima does it super well. Just hit R2 when you're fairly close to a pickup and you automatically get it, not even an animation to wait for. Even galloping by on horseback.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Finally getting through Watch_Dogs2. I hate the gameplay, but I'm going through it because I lived in SF for 6 years. Little things I'm liking:

-They've placed a few of their "generic" stores in applicable spots. They replaced the dick cookie place in the Castro with an ice cream place (kind of a stretch, but it works). Pier 39 is pretty accurate with replacements. Donut place, Bubba Gump.

-The only actual store "license" they got was Amoeba Records?!

-Someone at Ubisoft must really like Japantown because it's very accurate and doesn't seem to have much a purpose being that accurate in the game given how they've shrunk down everything else.

Edit: They more or less cut out the district that I lived in, though, so boooo

Fartington Butts has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Jul 26, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Folks talking about it was what initially interested me in the game, but the "guiding wind" mechanic in Ghost of Tsushima is indeed awesome, it's the best navigation guidance system in any game I've played. You get whatever level of guidance you want, but it's beautifully incorporated into the game world rather than just putting up a big arrow on screen or something. It's fun to use even when you don't need it, just because it looks so cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Suppose this isn't a 'little' thing as much as it's the whole concept, but seeing a video about 5-dimensional chess with time travel (yeah) reminded me of an RTS I played some time ago called Achron, a game that would be utterly forgettable except for the fact that you can time travel in it.

Like, you build some infantry to take an enemy base but they have anti-infantry weapons and destroy your force. Normally in an RTS, this sucks and means you just lost a bunch of resources. In Achron, however, that means you travel back in time, cancel the order to build infantry, create some bombers instead, and attack that way. Or, after your infantry gets destroyed, you build a bomber and send that back in time to take out the anti-infantry and save the day, then check out the present to see that your infantry is still alive and idling at the base it just took over.

Except your enemy can also do this, so maybe he sends back a builder to make an AA gun and oh god. Or destroy your infantry production plant so a time ripple is sent forward that eliminates them before they even reach the base.

It's hard to explain - there are limits to how far you can go back, doing so takes 'chronoenergy', and eventually things become unchangeable after a certain amount of time has passed, etc. It was an awesome mechanic...but the game in general sucked anyway. Everything else about it as an RTS failed in every way, whether it's the bad unit AI, the art design, the tactical choices you make that aren't time-travel related, which is all a drat shame.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Gundam G Generations Cross Rays is kind of like Disgaea in that it is pretty much an infinite grind game. You get pilots and put them in units in whatever configuration you like then go out to kick rear end. Units are balanced so your crapbots get more upgrade points as they level up, so at high levels they end up roughly the same as the best base units. Pilots work differently, weak pilots don't get more points, but for them you can just outright buy stat points. So if you decide to create yourself and your friends as pilots and put them in lovely grunt suits they can still eventually catch up to main characters.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've recently been playing Star Trek Online again for some reason and at some point they added a starting origin where you start out as a Starfleet officer during the Original Series era.

Beyond the excellent music feeling very period-appropriate, the game gets a heavy film grain visual filter that's also yellowed like aging film. It really helps sell the retro aesthetic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Polaron posted:

I've recently been playing Star Trek Online again for some reason and at some point they added a starting origin where you start out as a Starfleet officer during the Original Series era.

Beyond the excellent music feeling very period-appropriate, the game gets a heavy film grain visual filter that's also yellowed like aging film. It really helps sell the retro aesthetic.

That's awesome, TOS feels like a very underused setting, especially outside the old adventure games. Lots of charm, I loved the segment in the first Elite Force back in the day that had you working through an old mirror universe ship in some kind of space graveyard.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's awesome, TOS feels like a very underused setting, especially outside the old adventure games. Lots of charm, I loved the segment in the first Elite Force back in the day that had you working through an old mirror universe ship in some kind of space graveyard.

I also noticed that the starfield when you're in interstellar space is dots of color on a black background, mostly white but with some oddities like green and orange, just like in TOS. For contrast, the starfield when you're playing in the modern era is a realistic satellite image of the Milky Way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Polaron posted:

I also noticed that the starfield when you're in interstellar space is dots of color on a black background, mostly white but with some oddities like green and orange, just like in TOS. For contrast, the starfield when you're playing in the modern era is a realistic satellite image of the Milky Way.

drat that's awesome, I really want to see it. How multiplayer dependent is it, I'm allergic to playing most multiplayer games but might try it if you can at least bumble through some of it on your own.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat that's awesome, I really want to see it. How multiplayer dependent is it, I'm allergic to playing most multiplayer games but might try it if you can at least bumble through some of it on your own.

As far as I'm aware you can play basically the entire storyline single-player. Fair warning, it's a fairly janky game. Definitely has its charms as it's clearly been made by people who love Star Trek, but I wouldn't say it's a good game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Polaron posted:

As far as I'm aware you can play basically the entire storyline single-player. Fair warning, it's a fairly janky game. Definitely has its charms as it's clearly been made by people who love Star Trek, but I wouldn't say it's a good game.

That's about what I expected quality-wise, I could probably deal with that for a while just to see that level of love for TOS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's about what I expected quality-wise, I could probably deal with that for a while just to see that level of love for TOS.

Just note that the TOS sequence is only for the first ten levels, then you get booted up into the main era for the game.

On the upside, you keep all the TOS animations, visual effects, and sound effects for the rest of the game, including the TOS style tricorders and beam-out effects.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the broken physics in Mad Max rule. I was toolin' around the wasteland when some armour Stank Gum vehicles caught sight of me. I was trying to shoot down one of those armoured Scrotus flagpoles, so after blowing up a couple, I ignore the last one figuring it would take the hint and peace out.

but it didn't. as i was taking aim, it t-boned the car to critical health. (if this happens, you have 5 seconds to jump out and let your buddy Chumbucket fix the car before it explodes). Naturally, I jump out. the Stank Gum car had looped around by that point and came boosting in to t-bone my Magnum Opus car a second time, causing it to explode and rocket into the troposphere.

it landed a few hundred feet away, upright, with Chumbucket still clinging to the roof with a fire extinguisher. what a guy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
One of my favourite things in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is that sometimes when your ship gets to ramming speed, Kassandra excitedly yells "Woooooooo!" like she's having a really fun time

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Finished the main MGSV story and had my fill, so read up to see what I'd missed. A whole lot apparently, including an entire thing about nuclear disarmament and also the other girl on base. Never even touched half the gameplay options like boxes and couriers. Amazing game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SubNat posted:

I'm currently playing AC4:BF

Armored Core? Ace Combat? Oh, assassins creed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

Finished the main MGSV story and had my fill, so read up to see what I'd missed. A whole lot apparently, including an entire thing about nuclear disarmament and also the other girl on base. Never even touched half the gameplay options like boxes and couriers. Amazing game.

the nuclear disarmament stuff never worked, don't bother

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Agents are GO! posted:

Armored Core? Ace Combat? Oh, assassins creed.

ArmChair4: Butt Friend

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

Also, "what was planned vs. what was finally released" is also pretty interesting, if not aggravating list to read.

Combining Ground Zeroes and MSGV we get something that was something between 67-80% of what Kojima had originally planned for the game, but ended up being relegated to DLC that was never released or just cut away from the final game. This includes the original ending which was left on the disk as unused game asset.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

I love that game to death but the back half of the story is increasingly buried under weird and bad design decisions (presumably because of cut content and rushed completion). I didn't even get to various parts of the actual ending my first time through because progression is tied to some combination of beating the rehashed main missions and generic side ops that I still don't quite understand.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My favorite little thing in Mad Max is that the villain is named Scabrous Scrotus. :allears: What a good, underappreciated game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the nuclear disarmament stuff never worked, don't bother

funny you should say that because the PS3 TPP achieved this legit yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-fpU2itDw

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Love seeing my dudes naked rear end in ghost of Tsushima when he gets in the hot springs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Love seeing my dudes naked rear end in ghost of Tsushima when he gets in the hot springs

Haha I was not expecting that (or getting basically 1 frame away from straight up full frontal when he gets out).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Reminisce on:

- My tight rear end, exposed
- My thick hog, always hidden from view

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

My tight rear end, exposed
My thick hog, hidden from view
Time to get steamy

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Two from Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

- When Senua re-experiances her first meeting with her bf, the camera switches around from a third person view of the back of Senua's head, to looking straight at her from the front simulating you seeing her from her bf's perspective, and her body language and VO in that scene is really good. Actually, all of Senua's voicework is pretty great, and really sells her desperate, virtually hopeless quest. Especially when she's yelling at gods.

- When Druth drops some lore on you, one of the segments is - in an overly dramatic voice - "The ice continued to drip, and the power of the void gave life to it, and it became...a cow! Whose milk fed the giant. That's right, a cow. Bet you weren't expecting that.". I misheard cow as car, and I thought this game was gonna get real weird, but I was happy they didn't do a "she's secretly in modern times" twist.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You diss my (Diamond) Dog, you taste my hogg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tight aspirations posted:

Two from Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

- When Senua re-experiances her first meeting with her bf, the camera switches around from a third person view of the back of Senua's head, to looking straight at her from the front simulating you seeing her from her bf's perspective, and her body language and VO in that scene is really good. Actually, all of Senua's voicework is pretty great, and really sells her desperate, virtually hopeless quest. Especially when she's yelling at gods.

It's extra impressive considering that Melina Juergens had no performance experience at the time, she was supposed to be a mocap practice stand-in but they realized they didn't really need to go out and cast someone else afterward.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Morpheus posted:

Reminisce on:

- My tight rear end, exposed
- My thick hog, always hidden from view

Thought this was a darmok and jalad joke

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

packetmantis posted:

My favorite little thing in Mad Max is that the villain is named Scabrous Scrotus. :allears: What a good, underappreciated game.

my current mission has tasked me with taking out a one "Rim Jobbie".

Also, Deep Friah is a hilarious pun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i also like that Max is heavily armoured enough that he's rarely seen as just another wasteland wanderer. every enemy faction just always assumes he is part of the other team... Scrotus War parties accuse me of being a part of Roadkill or Pink Eye's crew, Roadkill accuse me of being a Gastowner or "one of Scrotus's boys" and Buzzards... well... just yell at me.

every once in a while Max is recognized as the wandering "raggedy man" that he is... at which point the enemies react in one of two ways: try to attack me, or more funnily, flee in appropriate terror.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dash Rendar posted:

i also like that Max is heavily armoured enough that he's rarely seen as just another wasteland wanderer. every enemy faction just always assumes he is part of the other team... Scrotus War parties accuse me of being a part of Roadkill or Pink Eye's crew, Roadkill accuse me of being a Gastowner or "one of Scrotus's boys" and Buzzards... well... just yell at me.

every once in a while Max is recognized as the wandering "raggedy man" that he is... at which point the enemies react in one of two ways: try to attack me, or more funnily, flee in appropriate terror.

If possible, leave the war drummer alive. They have funny dialogue when they are the only one left.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Balls out in a hot tub thinking about my dad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Push El Burrito posted:

I don't know what the title of the Tsushima thread in Games is right now but it should be this forthwith

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Push El Burrito posted:

Now think about your dad
Doo dah doo doo, doo dah doo
What's your dad like, kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Der Kyhe posted:

If possible, leave the war drummer alive. They have funny dialogue when they are the only one left.

I frequently do :hai:

little thing: The Buzzards in Fury Road are little more than faceless goons that attack the War Rig throughout the film. in the game, the are super creepy. best part is they are largely characterized through atmosphere and background dialogue.

The abandoned stretch of desert is their territory. all other factions avoid it. the Buzzards only come out at night, they only have underground bases, and they dont communicate with Max. The best reveal was reaching their primary base, The Underdune It's an airport that's been buried beneath the sands. it stretches on forever and driving your car through it is super claustrophic. the first mission i went there for was great because none of the Buzzards attacked me on my way in to the objective. They just watched until i was far enough in to be ambushed with a swarm of cars and fighters.

another creepy moment was finding an unmarked loot location on the edges of the Big Nothing. inside the ship's hold was a bunch of feral enemies that popped out of the ground to swarm me, nothing else.