Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jordan7hm posted:

I like that they pulled out some of the nasty c24 stuff and I do think theyll pull the worst c51 stuff.

I think it's still hard to judge what good or ill they've done they will do because they are incompetent at governing.

I certainly hope so but I think it's much more likely that there's a terror attack in the US now that Trump is in power (because they know he'll over-react), leading to new legislation there and at the very least the scrapping of C-51 reforms here.

e:fwiw I think incompetent at governing is the right term for sure.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jordan7hm posted:

I like that they pulled out some of the nasty c24 stuff and I do think theyll pull the worst c51 stuff.

I think it's still hard to judge what good or ill they've done they will do because they are incompetent at governing.

I am glad they restored the census for that matter but as you said they've mostly been pretty incompetent, have passed a record low number of bills, and they've hosed the dog on most of their important promises so far. Even if you are a proponent of pipelines I wouldn't exactly be celebrating the Liberals -- getting a pipeline approved is the easy part, Harper pulled that off as well but nothing actually got built. The one thing they are good at has generally been PR but even then this latest listening tour seems like it's kind of backfired so I wonder if their one weird trick of having the PM walk around taking selfies with everyone is starting to wear a bit thin as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey. Sticking my dick in here for a second. Uh, this is my final straw and I quitting and walking away as soon as I get another job.

Also jm20 is the one who doxx ed me.

:yeah:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Wait, did this thread manage to create that rarest of beasts... the guy who is enthusiastic about both Trudeau and Trump?

James Baud posted:

I like how nobody even entertains the notion that the Trump presidency could end up being fairly successful... not even as a contingency.

Like, we should be hoping it is!

The wonders of 2017 truly never cease. And it's only February 1st!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
James Baud what are your opinions on the Quebec shooting?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

After a full decade of carrying water for the LPC, Elizabeth May starts to suspect they might not be entirely on the level.

https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/826865462948540417

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

This isn't the worst thing a government has done since I bought these socks; surely her tenure has seen more terrible things than this.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

On electoral reform, is anyone surprised? The public consultation felt like a weak, ineffectual joke (a "farce", perhaps?) and I seriously don't know if they honestly felt it would yield useful data, or if average Canadians would ignore it as enthusiastically as it seems they did.

I'm surprised. I legit thought we finally had a chance of getting rid of FPTP. And now i'm pissed off. gently caress.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

This isn't the worst thing a government has done since I bought these socks; surely her tenure has seen more terrible things than this.

From an environmental perspective? Obviously. Not from the political party perspective though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol,
https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/826869441585672193

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Haha, this is amazing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Like a lot of Obama supporters she may have imagined that Trudeau was playing 11th dimensional chess and preserving his political capital for something big, i.e. electoral reform or maybe an environmental policy slightly braver than a carbon tax (something even the Harper era conservatives included in their electoral platform within recent memory).

Alternatively, May recognises that the rank and file of her own party are gonna be extremely pissed off by this and is trying to get ahead of the outrage since people might justifiably start asking why their leader has often acted as a de facto Liberal ally.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcpuNB_Zxo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Helsing posted:

Alternatively, May recognises that the rank and file of her own party are gonna be extremely pissed off by this and is trying to get ahead of the outrage since people might justifiably start asking why their leader has often acted as a de facto Liberal ally.

*we see a figure from the back wearing a bandolier and red bandana*
*figure turns around, it's Elizabeth May, she puts on a pair of aviators*

"The Liberals better be ready... for May-hem"

*cocks a shotgun*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not surprised, but I am really disappointed. But hey, good on JT, he brought be back into canadian politics with this one.

Who are the best dippers with a chance rn?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Listen:

By the time 2019 rolls around, Trump will have hosed up so colossally that O'Leary won't be taken seriously if he's the leader.

:toxx: Quote me in 2019 bitches.

Even if Trump's administration is a runaway success, I'll :toxx: for "Kevin O'Leary will never be elected as Prime Minister of Canada". Trump shares a genuine resentment of the proffesional class above all with his electoral base. O'Leary has an impossible to disguise disdain for the working class instead. He is too much of true believer Reaganite, he's just sort of vulgar about it, and that's just not the same thing Trump is doing. It's not going to work for him. This is not saying "Trumpism" wouldn't work in Canada, it absolutely would, but O'Leary isn't the man for whom it will work. It would have to be someone else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm not surprised, but I am really disappointed. But hey, good on JT, he brought be back into canadian politics with this one.

Peter Julian imo. He absolutely will win his riding again, he's massively well-liked here.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Lobok posted:

*we see a figure from the back wearing a bandolier and red bandana*
*figure turns around, it's Elizabeth May, she puts on a pair of aviators*

"The Liberals better be ready... for May-hem"

*cocks a shotgun*

I'm in! Lets get this green party wagon rolling.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

lol.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 26, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

The street protests so far are basically sore loser tantrums in extremely blue states

gently caress off. They're protests against the sexist racist fascist poo poo Trump is pulling. And the fact he lost by 3m+ popular votes.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

I wouldn't say I'm enthusiastic about Trump, I was pulling for a few other Republicans ahead of him... But a Clinton win would've resulted in more of the same "sounds nice but accomplishes diddly squat" that Obama did in the last six years, so the only available choice to get past the obstructionist roadblock was to go hair of the dog with someone who isn't a religious fundamentalist and hope for the best.

The street protests so far are basically sore loser tantrums in extremely blue states, no significant number of people are changing their minds this quicky, and, the US executive branch is not all-powerful. I think the system will survive Trump just fine, and some of the changes that get pushed will likely be improvements, just like some will be awful. Awful ones will get undone later, think long term.

ALSO... I voted against Trudeau in the Liberal leadership race for all the good that did. (I think for Findlay, may have been Murray, I can't recall...)

I also say gently caress all the people who are being negatively affected by this, they should just suck it up, it might work out in the future.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Before the bans hit I will share screens hots of my reasons for believing jm20 is the one who doxxed

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

with a chance of becoming NDP leader at least

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

James Baud posted:

I wouldn't say I'm enthusiastic about Trump, I was pulling for a few other Republicans ahead of him... But a Clinton win would've resulted in more of the same "sounds nice but accomplishes diddly squat" that Obama did in the last six years, so the only available choice to get past the obstructionist roadblock was to go hair of the dog with someone who isn't a religious fundamentalist and hope for the best.

The street protests so far are basically sore loser tantrums in extremely blue states, no significant number of people are changing their minds this quicky, and, the US executive branch is not all-powerful. I think the system will survive Trump just fine, and some of the changes that get pushed will likely be improvements, just like some will be awful. Awful ones will get undone later, think long term.

ALSO... I voted against Trudeau in the Liberal leadership race for all the good that did. (I think for Findlay, may have been Murray, I can't recall...)

Yeah Clinton sucked and the Democrats reaction to Trump is mostly contemptible but I was sorta more hoping give us your positive spin on the Trudeau government.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey. Sticking my dick in here for a second. Uh, this is my final straw and I quitting and walking away as soon as I get another job.

Also jm20 is the one who doxx ed me.

I'm sorry you're in that lovely situation and had to go through all the stupid stuff coming out of this thread.

This news is awful, I hope there's some perceptible public reaction to it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

with a chance of becoming NDP leader at least

Running for leader are:
Charlie Angus, Guy Caron, Peter Julian, Jagmeet Singh, maybe Niki Ashton. Sid Ryan is also testing the waters.

Niki sucks and won't win, Angus and Ryan don't speak French well enough, the other three are cool. Caron doesn't have any kind of profile outside Québec and probably won't win, Julian is well-liked by the base, Jagmeet is lining up a lot of support and is the best organizer out of the bunch.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is Jagmeet actually running? I thought his long term goals were for the provincial NDP.

Also Niki is cool come at me.

E: Also now that Electoral Reform has been nixed, can we force Nathan Cullen into the race?

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Gregor Robinson should run.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Does Jagmeet Singh have any notable policy positions?

The only really specific thing of his I've come across was his "An Act to Amend the Insurance Act" which is typically milquetoast ONDP bullshit by the looks of it.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

James Baud posted:

I'm having a tough time discerning if this is a real post or not. The argument you're making is that because of obstructionist roadblocks, which are due to republicans in congress, you wanted a republican president so that poo poo can get done. You've decided that the best course of action is to give in to obstructionists demands, because hey, at least things will get done now. What do you think foreign visa holders who have now suddenly been preventing from travelling to the states, where they may have lived for loving years, would say to you?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
gently caress that 5yr old that was in cuffs at the airport and separated from his parents. And all those protesters trying to get them freed? Fuckin' sore losers!

e: Ugh I knew it was a lazy troll and I replied anyways. Curses.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

M.McFly posted:

I'm having a tough time discerning if this is a real post or not. The argument you're making is that because of obstructionist roadblocks, which are due to republicans in congress, you wanted a republican president so that poo poo can get done. You've decided that the best course of action is to give in to obstructionists demands, because hey, at least things will get done now. What do you think foreign visa holders who have now suddenly been preventing from travelling to the states, where they may have lived for loving years, would say to you?

quote:

Awful ones will get undone later, think long term.

Edit: I misread that as what would you say to them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Does Jagmeet Singh have any notable policy positions?

The only really specific thing of his I've come across was his "An Act to Amend the Insurance Act" which is typically milquetoast ONDP bullshit by the looks of it.

Really unclear! Being ONDP deputy leader doesn't really leave him a lot of leeway to freelance and I'm not super clear on where he stands.

fwiw:

-I've seen him approvingly snapchat communists holding a "free tuition now" sign at a tuition protest
-He's been pitched to me as radical on social justice issues and willing to listen to sound advice on economics, which I know you'll love.

e:oh, this i guess.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Let's do terrible things! Someone else can undo them later! - a sociopath

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Cerepol posted:

Edit: I misread that as what would you say to them.

Cant wait to see what right-wing nutcase gets appointed to the supreme court. Long term.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For what it's worth, I think Nathan Cullen would make a good NDP Leader. I think he would take the party back towards the left, where it needs to be to succeed. He "gets it"

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/826860539041239042

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Cullen is my preferred as well but he can't speak French IIRC and wanted to spend time with his young children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
On a bit of tangent, but it's precisely this kind of lying by politicians that leads to the elections of Donald Trump, Rob Ford and their ilk.

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." - Hannah Arendt

When people believe all politicians lie it's small jump to start believing the lies they like, (even when they know they're lies) because what's the difference. Look at the people who elected Trump: they're not the rubes progressives think they are. They know he's lying, they just don't care.