Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah and if a frog had wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

stay in the sunset and eat bomb rear end chinese food.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well also granted a commute in sf is very different from nyc

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yeah, in nyc you commute into the city

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

oh yeah, the sunset does have better chinese food than chinatown 2/3 the time, this is pretty unintuitive

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

leave hbag alone :mad:

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Sagebrush posted:

how close do you want to live to your workplace? because there are plenty of $1000-1200 rooms for rent in the western neighborhoods. search for sunset, parkside, richmond, ucsf. these are primarily residential areas with commercial streets running through every four or six blocks.

yeah, you won't live right next to your workplace. but san francisco is only 7 miles wide, so even if you lived literally on ocean beach and commuted to the ball park it's not going to take all that long.

the western side of the city is cheaper, roomier, quieter, safer, easier to park. the downsides are that it's foggy a lot of the time (though not really if you're going to be here in the summer), transit is sparse (look for a place near one of the muni lines), and there isn't the club scene if you're at an age where you're into that.

oh and also the downtown snobs who never go more than 5 blocks from their home will treat you like you live on mars.

i was hoping to be closer to downtown to (a) be near other interns from whatever sf companies and (b) have a less suburban experience but these are definitely good suggestions. i am a little sketched out by room rentals if im not able to determine my roommates; the benefit of a 2br is that id be with somebody from my school working in the same office as me. that being said i probably will expand my net a little bit

or i could apply to one of those intern grouphomes and pay like $800/mo to live in a bunk bed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

i was hoping to be closer to downtown to (a) be near other interns from whatever sf companies and (b) have a less suburban experience but these are definitely good suggestions. i am a little sketched out by room rentals if im not able to determine my roommates; the benefit of a 2br is that id be with somebody from my school working in the same office as me. that being said i probably will expand my net a little bit

cool beans

quote:

or i could apply to one of those intern grouphomes and pay like $800/mo to live in a bunk bed

dont do this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and beware literal scams too. idk how common these are in other cities, but in sf you will regularly see something like "entire 3br house for rent, $2400/mo!" (market rate would be like 5-6k) and the ad seems pretty legit, real photos, accurate description, etc. these are just ads stolen from some other site and reposted with an unusually low price. if you contact them, they'll tell you some story about how they're out of the country and you can't go in and see the place, but you can drive by, if you like it they'll mail you the lease and the keys, you just have to send them the application fee in advance....it's obvious to anyone with half a brain but regardless it's an annoying waste of time so just ignore anything that is way too cheap.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Also i've heard tales of scams where they meet you at "their" rental and get your deposit and you get ghosted, because they airbnb'd the place for a day and then showed it to a renter

they got keys, you tour it, everything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lord fifth posted:

at the very least you can certainly get a 2br for like $3000 in the west side if you search around a bit. you decide if saving 500/mo is worth the difference in the commute.

don't do the coder flophouse.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

im not going to because i have self-respect

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

oh and beware literal scams too. idk how common these are in other cities, but in sf you will regularly see something like "entire 3br house for rent, $2400/mo!" (market rate would be like 5-6k) and the ad seems pretty legit, real photos, accurate description, etc. these are just ads stolen from some other site and reposted with an unusually low price. if you contact them, they'll tell you some story about how they're out of the country and you can't go in and see the place, but you can drive by, if you like it they'll mail you the lease and the keys, you just have to send them the application fee in advance....it's obvious to anyone with half a brain but regardless it's an annoying waste of time so just ignore anything that is way too cheap.

I encountered one of these around 2009, but they somehow had the keys and showed me around inside the unit. same story about how they were renting it for a relative who was out of town at the moment. when i didn’t want to give a deposit they got very angry and left a bunch of rude voicemails

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Also i've heard tales of scams where they meet you at "their" rental and get your deposit and you get ghosted, because they airbnb'd the place for a day and then showed it to a renter

they got keys, you tour it, everything

hooooly gently caress i never even considered this wow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah, in nyc you commute into the city

ehh not really, i meant if i wanted to avoid some of the places i worked i'd have to avoid pretty much everything from midtown down to west 4th lol

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hooooly gently caress i never even considered this wow

it is depressingly common here. even using a realtor can't guarantee you don't get hosed with somehow these days

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
real estate, donald trump's original chosen line of business, being full of scams and worthless little shits? amazing! who knew?!?!?!

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
thank you again old yospos folks for advice :tipshat: i have no idea what im doing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lord fifth posted:

thank you again old yospos folks for advice :tipshat: i have no idea what im doing

none of us do, you're in good company

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah are u in hong kong or smth

not even our place is that expensive, and it's a real nice flat in a good neighborhood

doesn't hurt that prices have been in freefall since the national security law and people fleeing the city

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was bored one night a while back and decided to try to find the most difficult "country" (yeah i know) to hunt in. settled on hong kong. they got a couple people licensed for .22s for some vermin on the north (???) part but that is all.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
is this like the baltimore ratmen

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord fifth posted:

the baltimore ratmen

pro band name imo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

forgot to cancel my hackthebox subscription but whatever im doing ethical hacking next term anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just bought five dozen eggs at Costco for $11.99 and then me and the kids made 16 hard boiled eggs because they’re really good mixed in with rice

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hbag posted:

forgot to cancel my hackthebox subscription but whatever im doing ethical hacking next term anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jonny 290 posted:

i was bored one night a while back and decided to try to find the most difficult "country" (yeah i know) to hunt in. settled on hong kong. they got a couple people licensed for .22s for some vermin on the north (???) part but that is all.

i don't know if it's the case any longer, and i wouldn't want to test this theory, but most of the time even the guns the cops carry aren't loaded.

but yeah if anywhere it'd be in the new territories in the north where it's quite rural (at least by hk standards). I had a friend who grew up in sai kung as a kid and came home one day to find a chinese cobra in his basement. fun times!

we were hiking back after camping in the same area years ago and stumbled across a fuckoff huge python just going about their day in the woods. escaped pet in that case most likely.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

ehh, once you leave the building you should be able to separate the two

back when the factory was next to the tenement they had beer halls for this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

i don't know if it's the case any longer, and i wouldn't want to test this theory, but most of the time even the guns the cops carry aren't loaded.

but yeah if anywhere it'd be in the new territories in the north where it's quite rural (at least by hk standards). I had a friend who grew up in sai kung as a kid and came home one day to find a chinese cobra in his basement. fun times!

we were hiking back after camping in the same area years ago and stumbled across a fuckoff huge python just going about their day in the woods. escaped pet in that case most likely.

if i found out there was a cobra hanging out in my basement i'd need at least 3 grenades

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

imo dont live 5-10 mins from work. not enough headchange space

20-30m is the best to switch modes. anything less and you feel like you're living in an auxiliary room of the office. anything more and commute is a grind, and rush hour 1.5x's everything

i live 21 minutes from work via the metro. its p good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

vatican?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my rent is like $2500 and it sucks rear end. my spouse and i have talked a lil about moving, but we'd have to move down to a 1 bdr to pay less here. I still want to get out of this area overall tho, but he's content here, so not a lot of movement there :( thankfully we'll be fine on rent and stuff during my upcoming inventory adventure, altho it'll be pretty tight.

glad we didn't buy a house i guess

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I’m probably looking at $900-$1000 rent per week here in Sydney for 1br when I move. it was $1800 for a 3br house with a two car garage and pool in AZ

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1611880123380236293

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve been depressed ever since getting back from vacation. irl sucks rear end.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

the episode where we were almost rid of wesley…

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

really debated staying in bed for another two hours then decided i couldn't afford to muck up my sleeping schedule that badly

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

cls was meant to have a friend over for a couple movies on the projector this evening, spent a few hours getting the house at least 'man-tidy' and they just rainchecked due to not feeling well. I should feel at least irked, but truth is I've gotten so comfy not having guests at my place I'm kinda relieved :o:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

President Beep posted:

the episode where we were almost rid of wesley…

thats the one where wesley lies about his friend blowing up in an accident. you're probably thinking of the one where wesley almost gets executed for walking on the grass

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was gonna go to my BIL’s to watch the Lions game tonight, but now the police are looking into my dumbass dad’s scam situation so I have to meet with a detective in the morning

I guess his bank tipped them off that he was getting scammed which prompted the police to finally take action, even though I’ve reported it multiple times with no follow up

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

thats the one where wesley lies about his friend blowing up in an accident. you're probably thinking of the one where wesley almost gets executed for walking on the grass

lol, you are correct.