Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Does anybody have a magic solution for stopping the bar on my Charvel's Floyd from unscrewing itself? (No, "stop using the bar" doesn't count.) I tried putting teflon tape on the collar threads and silicone lube on the spot where the bar meets the collar but it still happens. Apparently this is a pretty common problem for Floyds since there's 1000 threads across the Internet asking the same thing but all the suggestions are stuff I already tried.

machine a new bar with deeper threads, then run a nut from below the tailpiece?

serious answer is "more teflon tape"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dewgy posted:

Why did you lubricate something that you want to not move? :confused:

So the bar doesn't bind in the collar. It's supposed to be able to spin more or less freely (depending on how tightly you screwed the collar down), the annoying part is when it wiggles back and forth.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Kilometers Davis posted:

This loving ruuuuuules

Great work man!

Thanks for the compliment. Always makes me feel good about my playing when other people think it's decent. I swear I only hear the mistakes sometimes. I constantly have this creeping fear that I'm not as good as I think I am and that I should go back to playing easy stuff I can nail with 100% accuracy, but if I did that I'd never get any better I guess.

Edit: I probably shouldn't feel that way about Prelude though, since I'm not even sure Joe Stump himself can play it in public. Couldn't find a video of him doing it anyway.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Anyone head of / use "La Bella" strings? Sweetwater is having a Yellow Tag sale, and they have a killer deal on them, which makes me wonder why they are trying to get rid of them....

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They're a popular brand for bass guitars and acoustic/folk/etc instruments but I've never heard anyone say much of anything about their electric strings.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Long and McQuade here in Canada is doing Fender month with 6 months 0% financing on all Fender, Squire, EVH, Jackson, Gretsch.

Goddamn, time to jump IN.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/FenderMonth

quote:

Join us in August for specials, contests, and 0% financing for 6 months on all Fender manufactured or distributed products. This includes Fender guitars, Fender acoustic guitars, Fender basses, Fender amplifiers, Fender Custom Shop, Squier guitars and basses, Jackson guitars, EVH guitars, amplifiers and accessories, Gretsch guitars, and Charvel guitars.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have I ever mentioned that the new squires with active pickups are budget brigade monsters? Because they are, and you should all buy one

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can I at least lean to play the guitar I have right now first?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have I ever mentioned that the new squires with active pickups are budget brigade monsters? Because they are, and you should all buy one

I can't find em on the site. :(

I was thinking of just upgrading my Jackson. Or get a Tele.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Getting a Tele is never a bad move.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Vintersorg posted:

Bizarrely the Tele seems to be the only Squier model that hasn't gotten the Contemporary Active treatment yet.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

former glory posted:

Getting a Tele is never a bad move.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

Bizarrely the Tele seems to be the only Squier model that hasn't gotten the Contemporary Active treatment yet.

I still would have got a jazzmaster.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I still would have got a jazzmaster.

If they made a Contemporary Active Tele with a belly and forearm cut and the same surf green color as the Jazzmaster I would be forced to buy it immediately.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just saw the jazzmaster at guitar center and that color is amazing.

Also just sold a J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster to a friend, glad to have a little extra room. I still own way too many guitars for how bad I am.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Does anybody have a magic solution for stopping the bar on my Charvel's Floyd from unscrewing itself? (No, "stop using the bar" doesn't count.) I tried putting teflon tape on the collar threads and silicone lube on the spot where the bar meets the collar but it still happens. Apparently this is a pretty common problem for Floyds since there's 1000 threads across the Internet asking the same thing but all the suggestions are stuff I already tried.

This only works if your trem block isn't drilled all the way through, but the spring from a clicky type pen dropped in the hole and then the bar screwed into it compressing it can provide enough tension on it to prevent it from moving when you don't want it to.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Vintersorg posted:

Looks like these ones?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/98783/...ympic-White.htm

https://www.long-mcquade.com/115871...-Surf-Pearl.htm

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vintersorg posted:

Or get a Tele.

Gooble gobble gooble gobble get a tele one of us!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well poo poo, thank you. I am going in on Tuesday and will see how it feels. Can't wait!

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Lumpy posted:

Anyone head of / use "La Bella" strings? Sweetwater is having a Yellow Tag sale, and they have a killer deal on them, which makes me wonder why they are trying to get rid of them....
I've been using their Crazy Eight set for a while. They're fine, they got the same not-terrible not-amazing quality as you get out of Dunlop or any other generic string company.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Maybe I'm just an old but I think it's a sign of the times when the judges are all like "wow, you made music and all you've got is a musical instrument! Unbelievable!".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'll get a Tele once I have some space to hang up my guitars. My Epiphone SG is so good, though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

If they made a Contemporary Active Tele with a belly and forearm cut and the same surf green color as the Jazzmaster I would be forced to buy it immediately.

It'd step on the toes of the Jim Root stuff, and they'd rather be able to sell those for 1300 than sell slightly more of cheaper ones at the lower price point.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

It'd step on the toes of the Jim Root stuff, and they'd rather be able to sell those for 1300 than sell slightly more of cheaper ones at the lower price point.

That didn't stop them from making the Jazzmaster or Strat. They already make a Jim Root Squier anyway.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.long-mcquade.com/112551/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Jim-Root-Signature-Telecaster---Flat-Black.htm

Yeah the Jim Root Squier has passive pickups tho. Kind of disappointing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TIL. had no idea there were so many other models available.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, everything in the high end - that I am looking at - has a Floyd Rose system - it can't be that hard to learn, eh?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It’s probably more like “not better, just different”

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Man, everything in the high end - that I am looking at - has a Floyd Rose system - it can't be that hard to learn, eh?

Honestly you can just ignore it completely until you need to change strings, and even then its one extra step (block the trem to it's 'flat' spot before installing new strings). The fine-tuners are actually very convenient as well.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I don't play them but I think people are intimidated by the reputation theyve heard more than anything. It's got more moving parts and you gotta understand the mechanical function of what you're doing with regards to intonating and changing strings (but that's the same with any guitar and bridge/saddles/whatever

basically if you only change your strings every 2 years and it's already a shaky process, I would advise finding some youtubes explaining how a floyd works but it's nothing too wild. Dive bombs are cool and staying in tune while just loving your guitar up is also cool

but gently caress them. Hard tails forever baby, hard tail guy (kilometrs davis?) lemme dap you up. I'm the new other hard tail guy, by the way.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Change one string at a time and Floyd's are no more complicated than a regular fender trem.

Take string off, put on new string, tune to pitch, stretch string a bit, tune back to pitch, move on to other one.

It's not hard for regular maintenance but changing tunings can be a little bit of a pain if you want the bridge to be at the same angle.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thanks guys. :) Between this and the Ola Englund members discord I have all the information I need with great peeps. :)

Next year I wanna get a Solar guitar so bad.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/shop/

The S2.6W is on my radar.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Change one string at a time and Floyd's are no more complicated than a regular fender trem.

Take string off, put on new string, tune to pitch, stretch string a bit, tune back to pitch, move on to other one.

It's not hard for regular maintenance but changing tunings can be a little bit of a pain if you want the bridge to be at the same angle.

IT's really not that bad. Get a bunch of pennies and some tape. Take the strings off. Tape pennies together and stick behind the bridge until it's flat. String. Tune to pitch. Stretch the gently caress out of the strings. Retune to pitch. Lock nut. Remove pennies.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Floyd Tuning is easier than tuning a cheap strat with a floating trem. You can even rip all the strings and springs out and get it in perfect balance again easily. Just when replacing the strings and tuning them up remember this order 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3. If you can balance the trem with just strings 6 and 1 installed then it's easy to balance with them all.

The important thing to remember about a floyd is not to tighten the spring screws in the back while the strings are under tension, that pulls the knife edges against the posts and blunts them so the pivot is all hosed up and will never return to zero point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://slickdeals.net/f/13289923-s...e=3#commentsBox

A Squier VM 72 Tele Thinline for $200 after rebate is a nutso good price, right?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Thanks guys. :) Between this and the Ola Englund members discord I have all the information I need with great peeps. :)

Next year I wanna get a Solar guitar so bad.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/shop/

The S2.6W is on my radar.

Solar guitars are the poo poo. I wish Sweetwater would pick them up instead of brands like Comparison.

I’ve been looking at something like an A2.7C for a while now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wussed out and just bought SD Black Winters for $159 off Amazon haha

It sounded good... if it was in tune and the guy at the store was hesitant to try tuning a Floyd Rose. Plus I only had about 20 minutes left to get back to work.

I liked it well enough but for now I’ll adjust my JS22. The action on the DK2 was ultra low and nice. Felt good. So once I get the pickups installed I’m gonna fiddle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vintersorg posted:

I wussed out and just bought SD Black Winters for $159 off Amazon haha

It sounded good... if it was in tune and the guy at the store was hesitant to try tuning a Floyd Rose. Plus I only had about 20 minutes left to get back to work.

I liked it well enough but for now I’ll adjust my JS22. The action on the DK2 was ultra low and nice. Felt good. So once I get the pickups installed I’m gonna fiddle.

I have some on my mockingbird, they sound really good for everything. Here's a recording of them, it's the same guitar but stereo split via two different takes

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/winter2018-novox

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I thought I didn't like Floyd Roses but it turns out I just didn't like the guitar the Floyd Rose was on, I have one on a guitar I like much better now and it's loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I want to teach myself finger style blues/folk, Elizabeth Cotten being kind of the gold standard I have in mind but my familiarity with this style of music is pretty superficial. Found this site and downloaded the "Beginning fingerstyle blues guitar" book https://tommyemmanuel.wordpress.com/fingerstyle/

Figure I'd start there and see how far it gets me. Any other recs for reading, video or listening material?