Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is the world strangely silent about the Star Trek moving coming out in a few months? I'm somehow aware of its existence, but haven't heard a word about it in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The marketing campaign is much much smaller than the ones for the last two.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Star Trek: You're Gonna Go See It Anyway, So Why Waste The Money On Marketing?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Didn't Simon Pegg use Memory Alpha editors to help him write the script?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He had them help him name a device in the movie. Not the whole script.

quote:

We actually wrote to the Memory Alpha guys and got them to name a certain device in the movie. I sent them a letter saying, ‘Can you come up with this for me?’ In two hours, they came back with an entire etymological history of what the thing was. It’s beautiful. It’s fantastic to have that support network.

Here's the whole thing:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-pegg-got-help-from-the-star-trek-fan-wiki-while-w-1771866467

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2016

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He had them help him name a device in the movie. Not the whole script.

Here's the whole thing:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-pegg-got-help-from-the-star-trek-fan-wiki-while-w-1771866467

When you got a network of spergs, might as well use them for 'good'.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

And people wonder why Star Trek furries are a thing.

do they?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I guess I might as well post the other ones I have conveniently at hand:

My god. Where is this from? Is this actually a Bloom County?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nebakenezzer posted:

My god. Where is this from? Is this actually a Bloom County?

No, it's from an old issue of the DC Star Trek comic book sometime in the 80s. They probably just arranged to get permission to use the characters for that gag.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It makes sense - Bloom County always loved its TOS references.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I do love how the SPOCK helmet Opus had was, in fact, canon.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I've always got a chuckle from this image from the old Gold Key comics that while claiming that the ship had hundreds of people onboard, it could really hold about twenty...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
not as weird as putting an olympic sized swimming pool behind the deflector dish

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Any PS4 owners, the PS Store has a new TOS-based dynamic theme that is just fantastic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PCOS Bill posted:

Is it just me or is the world strangely silent about the Star Trek moving coming out in a few months? I'm somehow aware of its existence, but haven't heard a word about it in a long time.

There have been a number of reports that Paramount is actually in pretty dire financial trouble (they lost the Marvel deal several years ago when Marvel Studios decided to start distributing its own films, and I'm pretty sure the last two Mission: Impossible movies were directly financed by Skydance and a whole bunch of other groups, so Paramount only got a basic distribution fee), so it makes sense that Beyond doesn't have a gigantic marketing push behind it. We'll see another trailer, I'm sure, but I doubt they're going to super-saturate the markets with advertising, particularly considering how troubled the production seems to have been.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wee Bairns posted:

I've always got a chuckle from this image from the old Gold Key comics that while claiming that the ship had hundreds of people onboard, it could really hold about twenty...

I like how the shuttlebay is actually just, like, a door for really short people.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I pretty much figured from the start that this one would get a much smaller marketing push because it's going to rely on buzz around the 50th anniversary.

Honestly, had it not been the 50th, I think it's likely the film wouldn't have been made.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Same for the series. If it doesn't push a poo poo ton new subscribers to the CBS streaming service it probably won't get a second season. After the crap sales of the TNG Blurays CBS will want to be more conservative with Star Trek.

Evek fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 3, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Latest "bonus" ship from Eaglemoss:

The nacelle should have been on the top, dammit!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

I pretty much figured from the start that this one would get a much smaller marketing push because it's going to rely on buzz around the 50th anniversary.

Honestly, had it not been the 50th, I think it's likely the film wouldn't have been made.
The way they are barely acknowledging the film's release is not exactly a good sign. It's May and this movie comes out in July, and we've had one trailer. One. Plus that trailer came out in December.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Federation Starship U.S.S. Derp, NCC-o__0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Here are some more choice renderings of Excelsior, from between Trek 3 and 4:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

I don't think a third movie was ever in doubt. Into Darkness was ... polarizing, shall we say, but it still made a metric fuckton of money for the studio. The bigger problem was everyone farting around with the idea of Orci directing a summer blockbuster and it being his first movie, and it being written by his hand-picked bobos. Then someone at Paramount said "Wait, no, this is stupid," Orci was canned, and they had to find a new writer and director who could put the movie together in like 11 months.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The way they are barely acknowledging the film's release is not exactly a good sign. It's May and this movie comes out in July, and we've had one trailer. One. Plus that trailer came out in December.

Does anyone seriously want to see that movie? We're not lacking for generic sci-fi action schlock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's very little interest. Hardcore Trekkies are not exactly going to run out to see this considering it barely feels like Star Trek anymore.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

I am loving crying

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

You broke your little ship.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

How about another dumb Excelsior pic?

That weird DC series between III and IV was a goldmine of bad art, ships and otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Goddamn I love the Kelvin. That looks way bigger than the normal releases though?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want a Voyager movie.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Wee Bairns posted:

Any PS4 owners, the PS Store has a new TOS-based dynamic theme that is just fantastic.

I just grabbed that and Pinball Arcade's insanely accurate reproduction of the official TNG pinball game from 1994. That pinball game was fun as gently caress 20 years ago and it's fun as gently caress today. :slick:

E: https://youtu.be/yG73i6U2tSQ

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goddamn I love the Kelvin. That looks way bigger than the normal releases though?

Yeah, the bonus ships are usually twice as large or more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

I don't think a third movie was ever in doubt. Into Darkness was ... polarizing, shall we say, but it still made a metric fuckton of money for the studio. The bigger problem was everyone farting around with the idea of Orci directing a summer blockbuster and it being his first movie, and it being written by his hand-picked bobos. Then someone at Paramount said "Wait, no, this is stupid," Orci was canned, and they had to find a new writer and director who could put the movie together in like 11 months.

Eh, 'fuckton' is going a bit far.

The biggest issue is despite pulling in more globally than the first movie, it missed some key benchmarks in that it under-performed compared to the first movie in opening day, opening weekend, and domestic box office (despite having a larger marketing effort.) It's a sign of a franchise in decline again. They cut $35 million off the budget for this round (despite the sunk production costs of the Orci false start) and are doing next to zero marketing.

They are being as risk adverse as they possibly can right now. Their goal is to squeak this movie out with an ok gross and then shelve the franchise, coming out "on top."

Regardless, from a strategy standpoint, this whole effort has been a failure for Paramount. They couldn't make it their billion dollar franchise despite geek culture being mainstream. They didn't go into this with the intent of their movies grossing double their budget. They wanted something to capture a slice of what Disney is building with Marvel and Star Wars. It should have been theoretically possible, at least on a certain scale, but the execution was fumbled. At least they didn't lose their shirt over it completely.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Turn it over.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wee Bairns posted:

"We are off time schedule six minutes"? Did the universal translator glitch out?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, the bonus ships are usually twice as large or more.
I read somewhere that there are different licenses involved for different size models, and Mattel/Hot Wheels has the license for the ships that are roughly the Eaglemoss size. So the only way they can do the JJ-verse ships is to do them big. I wish they wouldn't bother at all, what am I supposed to do with these big ugly ships?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Want one? Or a JJ-prise or Vengeance? It'd save me the trouble of eBaying them off later.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Knormal posted:

I read somewhere that there are different licenses involved for different size models, and Mattel/Hot Wheels has the license for the ships that are roughly the Eaglemoss size. So the only way they can do the JJ-verse ships is to do them big. I wish they wouldn't bother at all, what am I supposed to do with these big ugly ships?

Ship models are the only thing Trek I collect anymore, so I like them all. Even the goofy rear end ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Knormal posted:

Want one? Or a JJ-prise or Vengeance? It'd save me the trouble of eBaying them off later.

Sent you a message

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ship models are the only thing Trek I collect anymore, so I like them all. Even the goofy rear end ones.

I don't, but I kinda want a shelf of little golden Enterprises.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
DS9 Season Seven:

One, Ezri needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Ezri's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Ezri?" Three...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wee Bairns posted:

A great many of the Gold Key Trek comics, from which this image is lifted, was done by a fellow named Alberto Giolitti. He was an Italian comic book artist who lived in Italy and he also churned out comics adaptations of other TV shows, especially westerns, for which he learned to ride a horse and kept lots of Western paraphernalia around for reference.

For Star Trek? All he had were pictures from the TV show, along with maybe one or two props. He never saw even one 'real' episode from the show. But he managed to churn out 25 issues of decent Trek comics; he drew mostly on his own imagination and the few stock poses his producer allowed him; the rest was pretty liberally adopted from the comics of his personal idols, Alex Raymond (Flash Gordon) and Hal Foster (Prince Valiant).

This particular cutaway of the Enterprise was likely adapted from an early concept of the Enterprise shown in cutaway view, which in turn was adapted from a lot of NASA PR art which liked to show cutaways of satellites and rockets.

• Locked thread