Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

or, y'know, nvidia could just give the nouveau team all the needed info without reverse engineering and they'd probably do it for free and even better and compatible with modern APIs. Which is probably what they're doing right now anyway

way too much secret sauce happens in nvidia's userland bullshit for that to be feasible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sb hermit posted:

if intel just released some drat discrete graphics chipsets then honestly they could make at least a nickel or two

The Arc Alchemist GPUs are hopefully coming out this summer.

And of course there's always AMD. I haven't had any issues with my RX560 since I got it in 2018 or thereabouts.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

The Arc Alchemist GPUs are hopefully coming out this summer.

tbh i imagine this is a big factor in nvidia suddenly caring about making their driver experience less poo poo after decades of stalling

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Nouveau developers don't need more information. Nvidia locked down their hardware further after Nouveau started becoming useful and now most features require special signed firmware that is part of the proprietary driver.

I honestly don't know why anyone bothers developing Nouveau considering the open contempt Nvidia has shown towards it tbh.

gently caress Nvidia, especially for all the wasted time I've had janitoring their garbage proprietary driver across our fleet.

e: Oops, an update while the system is running? Better SIGSEGV the X driver and all programs using CUDA, wouldn't want to have a smooth experience on our workstations for minor updates, would we? Nothing else has this problem, but we, Nvidia, we're special, we need special janitoring.

gently caress Nvidia, seriously.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 15, 2022

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

upgrading from F35 to F36 with an RX 6700 XT worked flawlessly

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

linux is designed for dumb terminals so be thankful you get anything beyond 80 column text
80 columns and 25 lines ought to be enough for everyone, op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Beeftweeter posted:

that said imo it's better than a one-size-fits-none approach

but not better than the “one size fits most, also the building blocks are encapsulated such that you can create what fits your needs in an interoperable way” model of the well-designed minicomputer & mainframe systems

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

upgrading from F35 to F36 with an RX 6700 XT worked flawlessly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

80 columns and 25 lines ought to be enough for everyone, op

please, most terminals of the 1980s and beyond support 132 by 43

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
today in linux audio adventures i plugged a headphone jack into my puter and it decided the headphones were a stereo microphone

actually somewhat successfully too

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

a speaker is a microphone, just like a generator is a motor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

a speaker is a microphone, just like a generator is a motor

seriously wouldn't be surprised if this were used to justify functionality in a commit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

seriously wouldn't be surprised if this were used to justify functionality in a commit

it’s used as justification to ban computer speakers in government buildings

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Sapozhnik posted:

today in linux audio adventures i plugged a headphone jack into my puter and it decided the headphones were a stereo microphone

i don't know how, but plugging my noise cancelling headphones into my laptop somehow broadcasts an amplified version of the noise the external mics pick up through the earpiece, so it's like I have a giant over ear hearing aid on. it's like having a superpower, I can clearly hear conversations and the clatter of any solid objects moving from two rooms away- exactly not the reason I sprung for a nice headset.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

it’s used as justification to ban computer speakers in government buildings

i'm sure that they're all manufactured in a shed somewhere and then go through a ton of different companies' supply chains until they're branded with a name people will recognize also has nothing to do with that policy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's an AC97/HDA thing. There's a bunch of jacks that terminate on your motherboard and the sound chip doesn't really care whether it hooks a DAC or an ADC to them, it's all the same. On windows you get the REALTEK AUDIO CONFIGURATION MANAGER to configure that stuff, on Linux I'm sure there's some godawful ALSA or Pipewire CLI thing but nothing in GNOME Settings yet.

I guess maybe it measures impedance to decide whether a jack has been connected to a headphone or a microphone or maybe a headphone microphone combo since at least some of those sockets have four contacts in em. but yes i am aware that headphones can act as somewhat serviceable microphones. i'm surprised this has never been a plot point in a hollywood hacker movie type thing although the studio executives would probably think the audience would be too stupid to understand the hollywood hacker man's explanation painstaking in monosyllabic words for five year olds.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

it's an AC97/HDA thing. There's a bunch of jacks that terminate on your motherboard and the sound chip doesn't really care whether it hooks a DAC or an ADC to them, it's all the same. On windows you get the REALTEK AUDIO CONFIGURATION MANAGER to configure that stuff, on Linux I'm sure there's some godawful ALSA or Pipewire CLI thing but nothing in GNOME Settings yet.

I guess maybe it measures impedance to decide whether a jack has been connected to a headphone or a microphone or maybe a headphone microphone combo since at least some of those sockets have four contacts in em. but yes i am aware that headphones can act as somewhat serviceable microphones. i'm surprised this has never been a plot point in a hollywood hacker movie type thing although the studio executives would probably think the audience would be too stupid to understand the hollywood hacker man's explanation painstaking in monosyllabic words for five year olds.

it detects the number of pins on a trrs jack.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

i don't know how, but plugging my noise cancelling headphones into my laptop somehow broadcasts an amplified version of the noise the external mics pick up through the earpiece, so it's like I have a giant over ear hearing aid on. it's like having a superpower, I can clearly hear conversations and the clatter of any solid objects moving from two rooms away- exactly not the reason I sprung for a nice headset.

that's how noise cancellation works - just play back whatever is coming from outside just phase-inverted. though it looks like yours might be defective or just bad somehow

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

RokosCockatrice posted:

my sennheiser pxc 550s do that too, but ive only ever plugged them in through usb, and afaik they only do that when the mic is active

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sapozhnik posted:

most headphones are actually pretty adequate dynamic mics.

My Sangean prison model radio has the AUX IN jack blocked off that is normally present, because they didn't want inmates to be able to plug a set of headphones into the aux in and use it as a makeshift PA system to coordinate riots.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
China is ditching Windows in favor of Linux when it comes to government services and the like, if this is really true we could expect to see more Linux users in general in China which could have an effect on the available software for Linux and hardware compatibility which in turn could make Linux a more viable choice here in the west for people still on the fence. :china:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kamrat posted:

China is ditching Windows in favor of Linux when it comes to government services and the like, if this is really true we could expect to see more Linux users in general in China which could have an effect on the available software for Linux and hardware compatibility which in turn could make Linux a more viable choice here in the west for people still on the fence. :china:

source this quote pls

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Jonny 290 posted:

source this quote pls

https://www.neowin.net/news/chinese-government-to-dump-windows-in-favor-of-linux/

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

go play outside Skyler posted:

that's how noise cancellation works - just play back whatever is coming from outside just phase-inverted. though it looks like yours might be defective or just bad somehow

i've narrow it down to a defect located somewhere in the OS layer (they work just fine for other machines)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kamrat posted:

I doubt it but sure I guess as long as they just use random Linux distributions rather than their own.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kamrat posted:

china is already making inroads into their own consumer hardware with riscV, which will likely lock in Linux support

https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/09/china_homegrown_chips/

Russia is also making their own hardware and linux (although they are still using ARM, maybe they have a riscV group too)

https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/10/baikall_iru_arm_pcs/

But riscV is also being explored in Europe as well. Not like Windows has ever had any supercomputer wins lately, but riscV precludes use of Windows more or less

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/22/first_riscv_epi_chip/

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“only tux could go to china”

also, because Linux is free as in speech beer I look forward to it toppling the authoritarian regimes in both countries :cheers:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I look forward to some libertarian free as in free to be within 500 feet of a school free software type's rant about risc-v in china and in russia and in nvidia secure enclaves that's basically "risc-v is a great because it's open and anyone can use it wait no not that way"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I, for one, am happy that Intel is embracing riscV instead of the 2000s microsoft take (where ballmer called linux a cancer)

https://riscv.org/blog/2022/02/intel-corporation-makes-deep-investment-in-risc-v-community-to-accelerate-innovation-in-open-computing/

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

is qt with C++ or whatever mess GTK is still considered the best way to make a gui application in windows?

people keep forgetting that microsoft became what it is not because of some random love from execs, but because they made it super easy for developers to write apps and become vendor locked-in.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

is qt with C++ or whatever mess GTK is still considered the best way to make a gui application in windows?

people keep forgetting that microsoft became what it is not because of some random love from execs, but because they made it super easy for developers to write apps and become vendor locked-in.

electron

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they made a good product in Office and etc but they couldn't help themselves and committed some heinous antitrust actions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

dos and windows were also decent computing game platforms but copy protection is annoying as poo poo and it was just easier to play those games that just required a CDROM in the drive

anyways, we are in the linux thread so regardless of what os you use, it's

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was real surprised at how well quake 3 did on my linux box. I had hoped that linux gaming was right around the corner but it turns out that it would take another 22 years and would involve applying a windows api translation layer

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I was real surprised at how well quake 3 did on my linux box. I had hoped that linux gaming was right around the corner but it turns out that it would take another 22 years and would involve applying a windows api translation layer

loki saw some real bangers make it to linux in 99 and 00.

quake 3, tribes 2, soldier of fortune, unreal tournament, sc3k

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

loki saw some real bangers make it to linux in 99 and 00.

quake 3, tribes 2, soldier of fortune, unreal tournament, sc3k

loki really made it work well

but then steam came out and took over and it was right at that cusp when distributor control finally took effect because accountants couldn't justify having developers work on a linux port (or outsource it) when that money could go to shareholders

Props to id software for open sourcing the doom 3 engine, though, and to splash damage for the wolfenstein enemy territory game, and to whoever helped open source star control 2.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you wanna know what ruined third party game ports to any platform?

Hollywood

more specifically, a couple of rich assholes who realized they could treat video games like films, and pay the publisher of a title for the right to port the title to another platform—optioning a game port, just like optioning the film rights to a novel

prior to that, generally ports of games done by third parties were either entirely contracted or done as an advance against royalties; in either case, you had publisher P paying developer B to take developer A’s DOS/ST/etc. game and make it run on Mac/Amiga/etc.

in occasional cases you’d also have developer Z tell publisher P they didn’t need any money in advance to port developer A’s game to Linux/Solaris/etc. just a fraction of royalty

then, suddenly, developer R (for rich) shows up and says to publisher P “if I pay you $100,000 now, will you let me port developer A’s game to Mac and get a royalty on every sale?” and before you know it, no ports exist that aren’t pre-paid

then you meet developer S (for suck) who one-ups developer R by saying “oh yeah, we don’t even need your source code, your IP is totally safe that way!” and the only way it becomes possible to tune a port for a platform is by hacking WINE

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 16, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the main thing that ruined game porting was a broad disregards for compatibility and software longevity, an attitude sprung from package repos with continuous (though poor) maintenance of what is considered the entire "normal" software ecosystem in concert. it is in general ridiculous to imagine that all useful software will get effectively rewritten over time (an ever-growing task), and games are at the forefront of software that is expected to at some point simply be finished.

loki couldn't possibly make it because there were a hundred separate idiots out there breaking their poo poo.

the real purpose of wine is that it ports some actual stability to linux, the exact api is not really the key matter.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

eschaton posted:

more specifically, a couple of rich assholes who realized they could treat video games like films, and pay the publisher of a title for the right to port the title to another platform—optioning a game port, just like optioning the film rights to a novel

what amazes me is how much they still manage to spend. aaa game budgets are reaching the low end of blockbuster movie budgets, while employing *way* fewer people.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the main thing that ruined game porting was a broad disregards for compatibility and software longevity, an attitude sprung from package repos with continuous (though poor) maintenance of what is considered the entire "normal" software ecosystem in concert. it is in general ridiculous to imagine that all useful software will get effectively rewritten over time (an ever-growing task), and games are at the forefront of software that is expected to at some point simply be finished.

loki couldn't possibly make it because there were a hundred separate idiots out there breaking their poo poo.

the real purpose of wine is that it ports some actual stability to linux, the exact api is not really the key matter.

ehh, while true that linux sucks at userland backwards compatibility, the only dependency I ever had issues with breaking loki games was glibc. I did a *lot* of distro hopping in high school, and loki games were perfect everywhere until distros started moving from glibc 2.2 to 2.3. (and by that time loki no longer existed to provide any support)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

edit: meant to edit the above post, not reply to it.