Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

My desk and entertainment centaur are in the same room. Is there any reason I can't just run a 15-20ft HDMI cable along the baseboard and play my Steam copy of Outer Wilds on the big screen?

I vaguely recall something about TVs and monitors using slightly different color spaces and that making things look bad, but I can't find that info anywhere now

You can absolutely play games on the TV and it will look fine.

What you may be thinking of is TVs using chroma subsampling, a compression technique that is barely noticeable with video content, but it can gently caress up the appearance of small text and fine UI details in a desktop environment. Not all TVs use it by default though, and for games it doesn't really matter.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 27, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Lmao, you would have this ready to go. I'm not even mad at Google keyboard for that one.

Alright, thanks thread! I'll look into getting a long HDMI cable, unless anyone has a specific recommendation ready to go

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The only problem is how on earth to hide the incredibly ugly, giant HDMI cable going across your entire apartment, which is the primary interior decorating dilemma that has haunted me for the past eight years at least

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

nrook posted:

The only problem is how on earth to hide the incredibly ugly, giant HDMI cable going across your entire apartment, which is the primary interior decorating dilemma that has haunted me for the past eight years at least

https://www.cable-sleeving.com/cable-sleeving-b

Hide? Embrace it with bright colored cables.

I know I said I was totally going to buy the 48" lg oled in this thread. I didn't. I'm totally going to buy the 42" lg oled.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 27, 2022

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Looking at dual monitor stands for the new 27" monitors I am picking up and this HUANUO appeared in a few different top 10 lists and seems pretty reasonably priced. Just wanted to check to see if anyone recommends this one or would suggest a different one before I pull the trigger.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5SY43...perz_origin1-20

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MrSargent posted:

Looking at dual monitor stands for the new 27" monitors I am picking up and this HUANUO appeared in a few different top 10 lists and seems pretty reasonably priced. Just wanted to check to see if anyone recommends this one or would suggest a different one before I pull the trigger.

I have the one arm version of this and its been good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrSargent posted:

I just recently mounted a monitor on one of their stands and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't know if it's true of the one you're looking at, but to adjust the height and angle on the stand I got requires Allen wrenches. This isn't a big deal to me, and the cable management clip is made so it holds the Allen wrenches for storage, but I could see it being a downside for some people. It looks like the arm you're looking at has gas springs, so that wouldn't be a factor.

This is the stand I got:

https://www.newegg.com/p/15Z-01XB-000G4?Item=9SIAZ38FT57642

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I'm using exactly that one and it's very good. Easily handles an m32U if you're worried about weight.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Going to snag that one, can't wait to get everything set up.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Are there any uh...'non-gimmick' QD-OLED monitors on the horizon? Like a 27 -32', 1440p or 4k, not curved, 144hz+ ordeal? All the halo products seem loving stupid, including a 48" QD-OLED 'monitor' from LG.

I'm really anxious to throw money at the first to market with an actual gaming monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Are there any uh...'non-gimmick' QD-OLED monitors on the horizon? Like a 27 -32', 1440p or 4k, not curved, 144hz+ ordeal? All the halo products seem loving stupid, including a 48" QD-OLED 'monitor' from LG.

I'm really anxious to throw money at the first to market with an actual gaming monitor.

I think you may be confused because LG has no QD-OLED products in the works. We have 55"/65" TVs from Sony and Samsung, and the ultrawide from Dell. Those are the only ones. I wouldn't really call ultrawide "gimmicky" either, but to each their own.

There's nothing else announced or hinted at yet. The QD-OLED rollout is starting pretty slow.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Another dumb question I am sure but I haven't actually had a two monitor setup until now. What is the best way to connect both monitors to my PC? On my motherboard I have both a Display Port and an HDMI port and then my graphics card has a Display Port and HDMI port as well. Should I just connect each monitor to one of the HDMI ports and use the one connected to my graphics card for gaming?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Another dumb question I am sure but I haven't actually had a two monitor setup until now. What is the best way to connect both monitors to my PC? On my motherboard I have both a Display Port and an HDMI port and then my graphics card has a Display Port and HDMI port as well. Should I just connect each monitor to one of the HDMI ports and use the one connected to my graphics card for gaming?

Your motherboard ports will only output a signal if you have integrated graphics on your CPU. If you don't, then you need to connect both monitors to your GPU. And honestly, even if you can use the motherboard outputs, I'd still just use the GPU for both to help simplify things. As long as one of your monitors has a Displayport input, that is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 28, 2022

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Your motherboard ports will only output a signal if you have integrated graphics on your CPU. If you don't, then you need to connect both monitors to your GPU. And honestly, even if you can use the motherboard outputs, I'd still just use the GPU for both to help simplify things. As long as one of your monitors has a Displayport input, that is.

Thanks! The monitor I have coming has both HDMI and Display Port inputs and comes with a DisplayPort cable so I will just plug both directly into the graphics card. Appreciate the help!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrSargent posted:

Thanks! The monitor I have coming has both HDMI and Display Port inputs and comes with a DisplayPort cable so I will just plug both directly into the graphics card. Appreciate the help!

One other thing to be aware of is that there is a decent likelihood that VRR like freesync will only work over DisplayPort, so if you game on one of the monitors that's the one you want to use DP with. This isn't a 100% thing, but some of my monitors connected to my Nvidia GPUs can only use freesync over DP, for instance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

G-Sync and G-Sync-compatible Freesync only work over DisplayPort on Nvidia cards, but AMD cards support freesync over both HDMi and DP. Note that Nvidia cards do support HDMI-2.1-spec VRR (which is different from g-sync or freesync), but that's only a TV thing for the most part.

AMD cards can do VRR on g-sync displays, but only over DP, and only on some g-sync displays. Also, I think g-sync ultimate may support HDMI, but sometimes the refresh range is more limited?

VRR is a mess, basically.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 28, 2022

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One other thing to be aware of is that there is a decent likelihood that VRR like freesync will only work over DisplayPort, so if you game on one of the monitors that's the one you want to use DP with. This isn't a 100% thing, but some of my monitors connected to my Nvidia GPUs can only use freesync over DP, for instance.

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll use DisplayPort on my gaming monitor in that case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The ViewSonic XG321UG was just listed on Newegg. It's a 32" 4K 144Hz IPS display with G-Sync Ultimate and a mini-LED backlight with 1152 local dimming zones. It's also $2500.

That's dumb in any circumstance, but it's especially dumb in a world where the Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 is arriving in June for $1500, which will presumably have just as many dimming zones and will be 240Hz. But maybe people will pay an extra thousand dollars for a flat panel.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The ViewSonic XG321UG was just listed on Newegg. It's a 32" 4K 144Hz IPS display with G-Sync Ultimate and a mini-LED backlight with 1152 local dimming zones. It's also $2500.

That's dumb in any circumstance, but it's especially dumb in a world where the Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 is arriving in June for $1500, which will presumably have just as many dimming zones and will be 240Hz. But maybe people will pay an extra thousand dollars for a flat panel.

lmao jfc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That stand is kinda dorky

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Never ever use a monitor stand when you can be using monitor arms !

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

Not wrong, but at the same time it is really loving annoying that monitor manufacturers keep feeling the need to reinvent the wheel in ever stupider ways with their stands. Monitor stands are a solved problem, differentiation for the sake of differentiation is more likely to make the product worse than better.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

VelociBacon posted:

It feels worth the 50e just to skip over the monitor stand portions of monitor reviews.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The stands on my Acer monitors are so good they have made me way less tolerant of lovely stands, hence putting the aftermarket stand on that monitor I mentioned earlier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Dell Ultrasharps have fantastic stands, but they’re 24” and sitting in storage.

My HP X27q have good stands with tilt, rotate, and good height range. No swivel but also not needed.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Alienware AW3423DW datapoint: My March 9 order was originally "expected" to ship today, now lists June 20 as a ship date.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The stands on my Acer monitors are so good they have made me way less tolerant of lovely stands, hence putting the aftermarket stand on that monitor I mentioned earlier.

Not a fan of that tripod stand on the ultrawides, it’s so damned deep for what it is, it literally needs like a 6 inch deeper surface than anything comparable

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

These are different 27" models with a big round base. The height adjusts and they swivel and adjust to portrait mode if I needed. Super solid, too, so they rarely shake when I type even on relatively flimsy desks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The circular bases are fine. Tripod-style stands are garbage, though. They need an even wider area to stand on than typical, and no overhang is allowed. That's especially annoying if you're like me and you're trying to cram two monitors onto a narrow desk (I should really just get a pair of arms)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love my monitor arm so much because I don't have to have half my table taken up by a stand. The Dell ones are OK but both the 25" Alienware and 32" Samsung I've had were huuge (unrelated but the box the 25" came packaged in was almost as big as my 55" TV, it was ridiculous).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Deuce posted:

Alienware AW3423DW datapoint: My March 9 order was originally "expected" to ship today, now lists June 20 as a ship date.

My March 29th order still has the original June 16th ship date. I wouldn't bet much on me getting it then, though. But maybe we'll get lucky and dell will ship a ton of them once things start shipping out of China again.

I have a perfectly good setup so Im not annoyed about the delay but it'd suck to be needing a display and having to make do with whatever. My brother recently replaced his 8 year old gaming machine with a 3070 and is still gaming on this old rear end TN 1080p 24" ultrawide. Not sure how he does it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

LG DualUp spotted on LG's Singapore website, listed as coming soon with no MSRP that I saw.

Nothing really new from the original accouncements, but it's a SDQHD (2560 x 2880) Nano IPS DCI-P3 98% (Typ.) & HDR10 @ 60hz. Would have preferred 90 hz (if feasible, not that it's needed for most work) instead of likely disappointing HDR. What are you going to do, watch two movies stacked at once? There's also some gimmicky blue light reduction bullshit, but whatever.

I can't tell if the mounting arm is optional - it's nice, but seems like it would be pricey. It does seem to be VESA, at least. The click-to-attach thing looks identical to the 27" 4k LG I have and couldn't possibly remember the model name of.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Am I crazy, or would that almost be better in landscape orientation as a 18:16 screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TFT Central posted their review of the LG 42C2 as a computer monitor, for those curious about how well it would serve as one: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg-oled-42c2

there's a lot to read and I've skimmed some of it, but the tl;dr seems to be that 42" well works as a desktop monitor size as long as you have a space suitable for it and can sit a decent distance from it. It is otherwise very similar to the C1, so all the upsides and downsides to using that as a monitor apply here as well. There is also no real reason to assume that the burn-in risk is any less this time around, especially since the 42" model is shipping with the previous panel type for the time being. So, you'll still have to take all the typical precautions when using an OLED as a monitor. If that's okay with you, then it seems good.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 1, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have experience with small touchscreen monitors? I'm looking for something that I can mount to a drum rack to control a connected PC. It doesn't need to be super responsive or have great resolution or anything, just something that will let me launch software and change settings without getting up from the drums.

e: if there is a way to use an old Fire tablet or similar that isn't super janky I'd be open to that too

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Splinter posted:

Am I crazy, or would that almost be better in landscape orientation as a 18:16 screen.

This review I posted earlier did exactly that. The thick bottom bezel is a bit annoying but I could live with it.

And now the memorably-named LG 28MQ780-B is listed on B&H at $700. Ugh, that makes me think twice, except that there's nothing else like it available now. The inspirational promo video lists a built-in KVM too so it's clearly meant to be a one-and-only office monitor, but I was really hoping (not expecting) there would be a cheaper option without the mostly unnecessary bells and whistles.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 2, 2022

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
I am redoing my office at work. I'm in finance so I use excel a lot, so I've used ultra wides in the past, the more rows the better obviously. I've been eyeballing a Dell 49 inch ultra wide but I've heard mixed opinions of the big ones versus just going two monitors. I'd likely just be using it split into two monitors outside of special projects. Is this a terrible idea?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I’m in a quite similar boat as Azrial above. I use my home office for work, a/v production, and gaming- so a little bit of everything. Currently driving two 27” 1080p monitors but I got a new desk and rig (3080) and thinking about upgrading the outdated monitors. Based on my monitor shelf measurements and GPU, I can go with a single 49” super ultra wide 1440p monitors or two 1440p monitors between 27-32”, but unsure which. I’m wracking my brain over the best option, especially since most super ultra wides have PBP now anyways and can be divided into two distinct outputs.

I do have a specific concern though- My viewing distance is pretty long on the new desk- about 38-44”, depending on the monitor’s placement and my seating position. So I’m wondering if something aggressively curved like the G9 (radiused to 1000mm/~40”) might look off at that distance compared to the more common 1800mm radius curve on other monitors.

I also can’t make heads or tails of the free sync vs. G sync compatibility, and whether there will be a noticeable difference with a 3080. Apparently free sync works with GeForce cards now?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This new nvidia patch seemed to fix my black screen issues on the M32U, just FYI for other havers.