Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

jabby posted:

3 year old has what is obviously gastroenteritis, but my stupid doctor brain won't stop screaming about appendicitis or meningitis or sepsis and whenever she gets more stomach cramps and screams/throws up I practically have a panic attack.

She's fine, this was all 12+ hours ago but gently caress me this sucks. Starting to think I actually have legit mental trauma from my job. I got virtually no sleep last night and I can't sleep now because I'm terrified she's going to wake up screaming again.

Same. Being a medical person with kids is tough, especially because we tend to see worst case scenarios. This past summer my daughter was really thirsty on a hot day, she drank tons of water and peed a lot, and I lost sleep thinking I’d have to take her in to be evaluated for type 1, what if she goes into DKA overnight, etc. It was obviously just a hot day and she was thirsty from running around outside, but nope, mom can’t sleep now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Koivunen posted:

Same. Being a medical person with kids is tough, especially because we tend to see worst case scenarios. This past summer my daughter was really thirsty on a hot day, she drank tons of water and peed a lot, and I lost sleep thinking I’d have to take her in to be evaluated for type 1, what if she goes into DKA overnight, etc. It was obviously just a hot day and she was thirsty from running around outside, but nope, mom can’t sleep now.

Oof, at least that turned out okay. We've definitely done the finger prick on his younger sister to see, since we had the kit and all. Our son was drinking 70ish ounces of water per day as a 5yo, and yep, that's type 1. Definitely told daycare what to look for in case any of the other kids have similar symptoms.

Also, a starter kit is $30 at walmart for lancets and test strips. Some of the fancy ones can check for ketones too.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
My almost-2-year-old is being kind of an rear end in a top hat this morning, you'll be shocked to hear

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite thing is how you can ask a kid something like "d'you want paprika on your apple slices?" and they'll be like NO!!! but there's this uncertainty beneath the surface like "...do I? Is that something people do? Would daddy actually put paprika on my apple slices if I said 'yes'? What do I really know of the world?"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I am one of those late diagnosed women. Looking back, it should have been obvious. ADHD can manifest a lot differently for girls. I was aways successful and I had a fear of getting in trouble which kept me in line. I would also say it didn't really start coming out until I hit puberty. A lot of other women have similar experiences. My ADHD also gets worse right before my period as an adult. One of the ways it manifested is extreme anxiety. I've been extremely anxious more or less all my life. I had a lot of anxiety starting in middle school over getting good grades. The problem? I'd procrastinate. I'd get all my work done on the bus or in homeroom. The only thing that has worked to make my anxiety go away has been starting stimulants. My husband was diagnosed as a kid, but his parents never had him treated. Our oldest was diagnosed with ADHD (and eventually autism too) and if he had never started therapy and got medicated, he probably would have been kicked out of school for his behavior. His little brother started kindergarten this year and he is probably going to end up with a diagnosis as well.

The tl;dr is that ADHD can mainifest different for girls. Keep an eye out for it. I suffered a long time in my life before I got the correct treatment.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
What's the going rate for milk teeth these days? Not doing Tooth Fairy, just straight cold cash from mom.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

2DEG posted:

What's the going rate for milk teeth these days? Not doing Tooth Fairy, just straight cold cash from mom.

Depends, are you kids in school with bougie peers who will be sharing stories of their $20 teeth?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Alterian posted:

I am one of those late diagnosed women. Looking back, it should have been obvious. ADHD can manifest a lot differently for girls. I was aways successful and I had a fear of getting in trouble which kept me in line. I would also say it didn't really start coming out until I hit puberty. A lot of other women have similar experiences. My ADHD also gets worse right before my period as an adult. One of the ways it manifested is extreme anxiety. I've been extremely anxious more or less all my life. I had a lot of anxiety starting in middle school over getting good grades. The problem? I'd procrastinate. I'd get all my work done on the bus or in homeroom. The only thing that has worked to make my anxiety go away has been starting stimulants. My husband was diagnosed as a kid, but his parents never had him treated. Our oldest was diagnosed with ADHD (and eventually autism too) and if he had never started therapy and got medicated, he probably would have been kicked out of school for his behavior. His little brother started kindergarten this year and he is probably going to end up with a diagnosis as well.

The tl;dr is that ADHD can mainifest different for girls. Keep an eye out for it. I suffered a long time in my life before I got the correct treatment.

Same on this. I never really got in trouble for acting out as a kid because I was terrified of getting in trouble, but concentrating was always hard and I've always been fidgety, talking fast, overtalking, full of pent up energy, late to everything...pretty classic ADHD signs, but I think all of them got chalked up to anxiety and depression because I was a girl. I still haven't gotten a formal diagnosis, even though multiple other people have pointed out I'm a textbook case, because it all just gets attributed to depression/anxiety (to be fair, is also present for me). I have a master's degree now, but I did struggle A LOT in school because I was undiagnosed (for everything) and had zero accommodations.

I'm sure there's certain groups that get overdiagnosed and overtreated, but for some of us there's a real reluctance from adults to intervene at all. Even when you manage to succeed and keep your grades up, everything is so much harder and wondering why you're not like everyone else is really distressing.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in on the ADHD topic! Since their teachers haven't said anything and we also have no concerns, we'll likely forego getting an evaluation (chalk it up to "parent peer pressure" induced second-guessing). But as parents, we're always on the lookout for changes in behavior / health, so we'll keep vigilant.

2DEG posted:

$1 a tooth for us. Set 20 singles aside for their entire mouth, and you're good.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 7, 2023

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son has discovered the joy of monster truck videos on YouTube. I am surprised to say that I actually think they’re pretty cool too? I could do without the person in the audience screaming “holy poo poo!” though lol.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Re:anxiety. If you don’t have anxiety, can you really have ADHD? From what I’ve heard from friends with a diagnosis, it’s a key trait.

One of those things that lead me to not want to diagnose kids too early is that personalities are so incredibly fluid in small children. If they don’t suffer in school and don’t have anxiety problems, I wouldn’t even bring it up with my pediatrician.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

remigious posted:

My son has discovered the joy of monster truck videos on YouTube. I am surprised to say that I actually think they’re pretty cool too? I could do without the person in the audience screaming “holy poo poo!” though lol.

Monster Trucks are cool as poo poo at any age.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Please god can we all stop being sick for like one week. I’m so tired and I’m out of leave.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

CherryCola posted:

Please god can we all stop being sick for like one week. I’m so tired and I’m out of leave.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

We got it all, including RSV probably and when we were turning a corner bam, pink eye.

Finally everyone's getting better and going back to... Huh, text from the wife... "covid positive" gently caress

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

CherryCola posted:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Academician Nomad posted:

Depends, are you kids in school with bougie peers who will be sharing stories of their $20 teeth?

I've seen an absurd number of apple watches among the upper grade tweens soooo...goddamit. Also blame Bluey, pretty sure he'll be expecting at least 5 bucks.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CherryCola posted:

This is the #1 thing making me skeptical of the idea of having kid 2, those first 2 years of being constantly sick were loving miserable

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

2DEG posted:

I've seen an absurd number of apple watches among the upper grade tweens soooo...goddamit. Also blame Bluey, pretty sure he'll be expecting at least 5 bucks.

Time to teach a valuable lesson about the AUD/USD conversion rate!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Time to teach a valuable lesson about the AUD/USD conversion rate!

How much can $5 AUD be? $10 USD?

Anyhoo, in bed next to my napping kid. Day 2 of no school and antibiotics because of an ear infection while both me and my partner are working from home and dealing with our respective work-related crises. Yay.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Our tooth fairy brings $1 and a small thing of undetermined value. Like a pin or sheet of stickers.

That way, even if they compare with other kids, they don't really know.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
We do $2 bills because they're neat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is the #1 thing making me skeptical of the idea of having kid 2, those first 2 years of being constantly sick were loving miserable

Yeah but now your immunity is mostly topped off for the next 3-5 years :science:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God drat.

Sometimes you just take stock of everything you've done since the last time you sat down and it's... it's a loving lot

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toddler, behind me, talking to himself: “I need to be careful with my knife, it is super super sharp”

thankfully it was a wooden dealie from a play food set but c’mon bud.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Parenting Thread: I’m so tired and I’m out of leave

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

how does one deal with bullying? I think my kid has been made to be an outcast as she's been assigned the role as a bodyguard of a room while two of her friends eat inside. When she asked to go inside, she was not let inside and it nearly made her cry. The bully(?) is a year older and said that my kid initially wanted the role of bodyguard.

I guess I would be okay if my kid wasn't almost on the verge of tears at not being let into the room when she asked and has to chase the other kids in order to play with them. I think the tension may have started when my kid asked my partner about the bully's hand (since she was born with physical deformities) and the bully was right behind her. I hate seeing her being treated like this but they can't really avoid interactions with each other.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

how does one deal with bullying? I think my kid has been made to be an outcast as she's been assigned the role as a bodyguard of a room while two of her friends eat inside. When she asked to go inside, she was not let inside and it nearly made her cry. The bully(?) is a year older and said that my kid initially wanted the role of bodyguard.

I guess I would be okay if my kid wasn't almost on the verge of tears at not being let into the room when she asked and has to chase the other kids in order to play with them. I think the tension may have started when my kid asked my partner about the bully's hand (since she was born with physical deformities) and the bully was right behind her. I hate seeing her being treated like this but they can't really avoid interactions with each other.

For me it would depend where this happened (school?) and how many times.

If it's just a couple of incidents I wouldn't label the other kid a bully, since it sounds like they might be trying to avoid your kid which is pretty typical kid behaviour. At that age they don't always have the skills to say "I'd rather not play with you right now, please find someone else" so it manifests as running away, making up games like 'you go stand over there' etc. They might not be TRYING to be hurtful.

I'd probably start by talking to my kid and explaining that she doesn't have to do what they say, but they also don't have to play with her, and if their interactions are upsetting her it might be best to play with someone else for a while. And obviously escalate to teachers if it happens at school.

If it's become a pattern of behaviour and they're persistently trying to keep her out of the lunch room at school or something I'd just go to the teacher.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I would very much like my 2 month old to learn how to fart. Just grunting like a long haul trucker in a gas station bathroom from 4-6am.

Yes I know windi, but the goal is for her not to wake up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Glad the time change didn’t do anything to the kid but it hosed up my dog which is great. He’s used to getting up at 5:30 to eat and now it’s 4:30.

I’m so tired lol

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Vorkosigan posted:

I would very much like my 2 month old to learn how to fart. Just grunting like a long haul trucker in a gas station bathroom from 4-6am.

Yes I know windi, but the goal is for her not to wake up.

Had the same problem at this age. He would also get corked fort 2 or 3 days at a time. Had to add drops to his food and his back to his old farty self, but at 4 months he still gets blocked like yesterday evening and just cant fart it out for hours on end.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
As the holidays approach I want to plug a book my kid and I are currently thoroughly enjoying. It’s called “Mason Jar Science” by Jonathan Adolph and it goes through 40 science experiments in, as the title suggests, mason jars, but most of them can be done in whatever jar you have. I have a million mason jars so that was what caught my eye but the experiments are fun, eye-catching, and explained in a way that my six year old mostly gets but would be interesting to kids a little older as well. Heck I am excited about several of them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dr. Chaco posted:

As the holidays approach I want to plug a book my kid and I are currently thoroughly enjoying. It’s called “Mason Jar Science” by Jonathan Adolph and it goes through 40 science experiments in, as the title suggests, mason jars, but most of them can be done in whatever jar you have. I have a million mason jars so that was what caught my eye but the experiments are fun, eye-catching, and explained in a way that my six year old mostly gets but would be interesting to kids a little older as well. Heck I am excited about several of them.

Awesome, being a scientist, it's great to get the kiddo into science. A friend got her a Crayola experiment thing that she loved.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Sunday and Monday were still 7:30am wakeups after DST, but the last couple of days my son has woken up during the 6 o'clock hour again. Getting him to bed a little later did not fix that today. I thought if we made it past the first day post-DST, we'd be okay. Guess it was a fluke.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dr. Chaco posted:

This book looks awesome! I just ordered it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We got our kiddo her vaccines and that knocked her out and seems to have reset her clock ok

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Sunday and Monday were still 7:30am wakeups after DST, but the last couple of days my son has woken up during the 6 o'clock hour again. Getting him to bed a little later did not fix that today. I thought if we made it past the first day post-DST, we'd be okay. Guess it was a fluke.

If you discover the secret to adjusting bedtimes please share it because no matter the time my son goes to sleep he's up between 5:45 and 7 in a way that is seemingly uncorrelated with his bedtime. At least we've mostly successfully gotten him to the point where he's cool with hanging out in his room playing until 7 before calling out and waking us up.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Poop in the bathtub. Looks like he ate corn at daycare yesterday.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Apparently apple slices are a craft material today, not a snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Yeah gently caress dst. We’ve been stuck at 4:30/5:15 am wake-ups all week. The kid is right! It is society that is wrong!