Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't know how much ram my phone has, and I'm fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Read this as WeebOS and was like "they call it Oxygen now or something"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WebOS is back, in TV form!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

I think the highest model G5 has 3, but could be wrong.

The lowest is 2, highest is 4, there is a 3gb one that exists but I don't think is in all markets

E: for the plus, unsure about the nonplus

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
WebOS was the best mobile OS ever created and all of the other mobile OS' stripped its features and implemented them poorly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RZA Encryption posted:

That means you have enough.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No one will ever need more than 64 kilorams

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does the palm store work on lg tv's?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Yours has 4GB.

e: Should add that I agree with the sentiment you're expressing. The fact that Motorola sells the same phone with different specs which drastically change the end user experience is absolutely user hostile. Why sell the underspec'd one at all?

Of course I'd also argue that what Google is doing with the Pixel 2 is more or less the same thing.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 19, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

And is that like top end G5 vs low end G5 Plus or what? If it's like a 1ish year phone til you'll buy a new one and the storage and RAM is fine for you right now, might as well go cheaper. If you'll have it for like 1+ years, and especially if that G5 Plus price is for 4/64, it should be pleasant to use for an extra year or two over a G5 with less RAM.

Only one tier of each available here (Norway), in two colors. RAM is the same for both at 3, G5 has 16 gigs of storage while Plus has 32. I hope to keep whichever phone I get more than two years. Currently writing on this phone:

codo27 posted:

Sony doesn't get any regard either but the Z3 compact I had was one of, if not the smoothest experience I've had on Android.

It's not bad but at 2 years it's starting to fall apart, the screen is coming off. If that's any indication of my hardware requirements, an aging midrange phone is otherwise serving me well right now. If the G5 isn't slower, I might settle for that.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ola posted:

Only one tier of each available here (Norway), in two colors. RAM is the same for both at 3, G5 has 16 gigs of storage while Plus has 32. I hope to keep whichever phone I get more than two years.
Don't buy a phone with only 16GB of storage, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. Even 32GB I'd consider low today, but the microSD card support helps out there at least. 3gb of RAM will probably be fine for a couple years, though you may be feeling it a bit toward the end of that time.

The Snapdragon 625 in the G5/Plus is excellent.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 19, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, if you go by GeekBench, the 625 is better on paper than the Snapdragon 800 (Same single core, 50% higher multicore) in the Nexus 5, using a smaller fab process (14nm vs. 28) and more efficient big/little architecture, for significantly better battery consumption.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 19, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got the 16GB/3GB G5+ (international) because it was an extra $100 to upgrade to 32GB of storage, which is stupid. I don't know why manufacturers insist on having such different US/international variants, like how much does it actually cost to put in 32GB instead of 16 anyway?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Helter Skelter posted:

Don't buy a phone with only 16GB of storage, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. Even 32GB I'd consider low today, but the microSD card support helps out there at least. 3gb of RAM will probably be fine for a couple years, though you may be feeling it a bit toward the end of that time.

Depends on how you use your device

I have a 32GB iPhone with like 10GB free and iOS apps are generally a lot larger than Android ones

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

dissss posted:

Depends on how you use your device
The OS alone takes up over 10GB on my 64GB G5 Plus. That wouldn't leave much room for app data on a 16gb device, to say nothing of any media you might also want to put on there.

16GB devices in 2017 are a loving trap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

Good point on the storage. Buying an SD card to expand storage will eat into the price diff and it's annoying to make the phone use this or that storage. I currently have 16 gigs and it can run out of space quite easily, probably much more so on the G5 with bigger photo and video files.

dissss, that reminds me of this classic iPhone user storage management scenario, often seen on social media:

1. My phone is out of space, can't take anymore pics! :( So what now Apple, I have to buy a new phone??
a day passes....
2. WTF I deleted all my pics and now they're gone from iCloud as well!!!
a week passes...
3. YAY new iPhone omg <3 <3 <3

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Helter Skelter posted:

The OS alone takes up over 10GB on my 64GB G5 Plus. That wouldn't leave much room for app data on a 16gb device, to say nothing of any media you might also want to put on there.

Confirmed. My S5 is permafull with basic social media, Spotify and email apps and it's not even on the latest version.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

eXXon posted:

I got the 16GB/3GB G5+ (international) because it was an extra $100 to upgrade to 32GB of storage, which is stupid. I don't know why manufacturers insist on having such different US/international variants, like how much does it actually cost to put in 32GB instead of 16 anyway?

The structure is basically that people at phone network HQ tell the manufacturers exactly what variant they want and the manufacturer leaps to.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In the US, can you not just buy a phone in a normal electronics shop and just pop whichever SIM you want into it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

In the US, can you not just buy a phone in a normal electronics shop and just pop whichever SIM you want into it?

No. I mean you could but no one would ever do that. Plus two of the four carriers require that they do the provisioning so you can't with them.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

LastInLine posted:

No. I mean you could but no one would ever do that. Plus two of the four carriers require that they do the provisioning so you can't with them.

What a poo poo show. Here in the UK it's a phone Utopia regarding the networks. Mostly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

No. I mean you could but no one would ever do that.

Er, if you extend "normal electronics shop" to things like Amazon (or Google themselves) I think quite a lot of people do that.

Only with some carriers, of course, that much is true.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What a poo poo show.

This much is also true.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 19, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

Google apparently put a lot of their top developers on the Fuschia project which is supposed to replace Android someday

It's spelled"fuchsia" :eng101: . I know this because I lost a regional spelling bee on this word when I was 10 :eng99:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Er, if you extend "normal electronics shop" to things like Amazon (or Google themselves) I think quite a lot of people do that.

Only with some carriers, of course, that much is true.

This much is also true.

The only way you could say that quite a lot of people do it is to claim the Apple Store as a "normal electronics shop". With that exception I'd wager 80%+ get phones from their carrier at the carrier store.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

The only way you could say that quite a lot of people do it is to claim the Apple Store as a "normal electronics shop". With that exception I'd wager 80%+ get phones from their carrier at the carrier store.

I suspect it's probably more true for iPhones than for Android phones, though I have no idea what the actual numbers are. It's certainly higher than "no one would ever do that" though.

(I've never gotten a phone from a carrier. I did get a wifi hotspot from one once. It was a piece of poo poo.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've never gotten a phone from a carrier either but let's be real, goons aren't normal.

Think of it this way: MVNOs make up about 10% of wireless customers. Let's assume all of them bought phones themselves (they most certainly did not). You're telling me 12% of postpaid major carrier customers bought their own phone out of pocket? They did not.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Actually, I think you'll find that my hypotheticals unbacked by data are superior to yours.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Here you go guys

quote:

Port Washington, NY, December 12, 2016 – According to the new Unlocked Phone Demand Report from NPD Connected Intelligence, the unlocked mobile phone market is growing rapidly with an estimated 28 million consumers owning an unlocked device in the U.S., accounting for 12 percent of the market. Additionally, due to limited options available in-store, half of all unlocked phones (51 percent) are being purchased online – a notable deviation from locked phone purchases which traditionally take place in-store. By comparison, 74 percent of locked phones are purchased in stores/kiosks.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...d-intelligence/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, but that doesn't tell us if the phrase "no one would ever do that" is accurate or not. On the one hand, it's completely obvious that someone would do that. So, we should take "no one" to be an intentional exaggeration to make a point. On the other hand, at some point "no one would ever do that" becomes flat-out inaccurate.

We need 42 more posts to determine whether this was accurate terminology.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/18/15988172/oneplus-travel-backpack-bag-review

Verge, home of "despite being on fire in my living room I give the Galaxy Note 7 a 9.5 out of 10" with a solid backhander against oneplus and their hobo backpack which is the better offering from the company than their hobo phones.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Since all we have is anecdotes, I'll throw this out there: most cell phone customers don't even know buying an unlocked phone is an option. When my sister in law hosed her LG G3, her mom asked for my advice on a phone she should buy, and told her to just buy an unlocked phone (I guess at the time a Moto G4) and neither my SIL or MIL really "got" it. And if you're wondering what there is to "get" so am I. I must have explained it three times to each of them, "you buy the phone from Amazon and just put your T-Mobile SIM in it," and every time "but how does T-Mobile know what phone I have? What if the phone is messed up, what can T-Mobile do for me?" I gave up. She got a new LG that she almost immediately dropped in a toilet and had to replace again.

I just recently convinced my mom to get a Moto G5 and she was pretty easy to convert but it was definitely a novel idea to her.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Humerus posted:

Since all we have is anecdotes,

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anecdote: Just ordered a G5 Plus, in accordance with advice I received in a thread. :monocle:

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/18/15988172/oneplus-travel-backpack-bag-review

Verge, home of "despite being on fire in my living room I give the Galaxy Note 7 a 9.5 out of 10" with a solid backhander against oneplus and their hobo backpack which is the better offering from the company than their hobo phones.

I know that this is almost certainly the entire point, for which I apologise in advance, but I liked the way the whole thing read like a piss-take of how phone reviews are written.

Or perhaps it isn't, and it's supposed to be serious and tech blogging has long ago consumed itself and maybe that's the real point after all.

Either way, if it was somehow less functional but not on fire and it had an apple logo on it the Verge would have liked it even more.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
You have done well, Ola.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing is, the phones that are worth a drat (Pixel, Moto G, iPhone) CAN be bought outside a carrier store and also work on all carriers by just swapping the SIM into them.

The other manufacturers choose not to since compromising their devices with carrier bloat and getting in bed with carrier specific versions gives them marketing dollars from the carrier.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

10 loving years ago in 2007 I bought a Creative Labs Zen mp3 player that had 30gb of storage. Anything less than 100gb shouldn't be allowed to be sold today unless it's under $200. My friend has a loving 8gb Moto and she can't even update her apps. Gf constantly having to juggle poo poo on her 16gb iPhone 6S! I mean that's not an old phone. And they want drat near 1000 bucks for a flagship in Canada. More for an S8 or iShit 7. You needn't tell me it's not feasible to jam at least 128gb into any phone worthwhile when the fuckin thing costs $500+
Man I fuckin hate phones so much

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

10 loving years ago in 2007 I bought a Creative Labs Zen mp3 player that had 30gb of storage. Anything less than 100gb shouldn't be allowed to be sold today unless it's under $200. My friend has a loving 8gb Moto and she can't even update her apps. Gf constantly having to juggle poo poo on her 16gb iPhone 6S! I mean that's not an old phone. And they want drat near 1000 bucks for a flagship in Canada. More for an S8 or iShit 7. You needn't tell me it's not feasible to jam at least 128gb into any phone worthwhile when the fuckin thing costs $500+

Oh you're so edgy calling it an "iShit". Canadian prices are reasonable after USD conversion, if you don't like that, loving buy it from the US. Are you actually expecting a phone to have 128GB of storage and cost less than $200 CAD? That's literally never going to happen ever.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

Storage is one of the only profit areas of phones. That extra $50-100 you pay for 64GB instead of 32GB costs the manufacturer about $2.50. We can thank Apple (iShit lol) for somehow convincing consumers that more storage is actually expensive to add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hello. I am looking to get a new upgrade for my phone. What phone do you recommend I buy? Please also explain the best features of the phone you recommend me. Thanks