Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Trigger Man honestly isn't too similar, but it's equivalent in overall quality.

Ti West?

Thanks, I'll check this out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I liked Targets but I'll be honest, the Karloff stuff kind of bored me beyond the thematic counterpoint it gives

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I was behind and had to catch up on the thread, but re: Masters of Horror discussion, Imprint hosed me up quite a bit. Love the story behind it too, essentially Showtime approached Takashi Miike and said "hey make whatever you want, we're looking for some twisted horror and you seem pretty good at that!" then when they saw the finished product they were all "Holy poo poo we can't show this on TV".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

morestuff posted:

I liked Targets but I'll be honest, the Karloff stuff kind of bored me beyond the thematic counterpoint it gives

I'm not that into some of the schtick going on around him but Karloff's face is enough to carry my through it. And I legit think his relationship with his assistant is sweet.

Also that Death story is great enough to make up for any draggy bits preceding it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88wMrLGch9w

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was behind and had to catch up on the thread, but re: Masters of Horror discussion, Imprint hosed me up quite a bit. Love the story behind it too, essentially Showtime approached Takashi Miike and said "hey make whatever you want, we're looking for some twisted horror and you seem pretty good at that!" then when they saw the finished product they were all "Holy poo poo we can't show this on TV".

It's almost hard to count it as an episode because of its rocky history. I'm pretty sure it was the river with aborted fetuses floating down it that made Showtime pull the plug.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm trying to find a new scary movie. I saw Bone Tomahawk, eh, I tried watching Wolf Creek and I fell asleep. I've seen Green Inferno and it was ok. I want to find a movie that scares me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Golem II posted:

I'm trying to find a new scary movie. I saw Bone Tomahawk, eh, I tried watching Wolf Creek and I fell asleep. I've seen Green Inferno and it was ok. I want to find a movie that scares me.

That's really not much to go on. Rather than telling us what didn't scare you, why don't you give some examples of what movies did scare you?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Good news, she couldn't find Martyrs, I'm not dead today.

EDIT TO PREVENT DOUBLE POST:

I'm looking for movies that "feel" like The Hellraiser series. I'm going to give Pandorum a try based on the discussion a couple pages back. Event Horizon is close, I suppose. Another movie I thought really tried to capture the feel (though it's a little up its own rear end) is Necromentia. Martyrs was also suggested in the brief Hellraiser discussion, is it really? I thought there wasn't any fantastical elements to that film, much like most of the French Extreme style...

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 30, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Did she find Inside instead

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

she didn't find any, not even audition. I further recommended the V/H/S series as something easy to get that's not bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

I'm looking for movies that "feel" like The Hellraiser series. I'm going to give Pandorum a try based on the discussion a couple pages back. Event Horizon is close, I suppose. Another movie I thought really tried to capture the feel (though it's a little up its own rear end) is Necromentia. Martyrs was also suggested in the brief Hellraiser discussion, is it really? I thought there wasn't any fantastical elements to that film, much like most of the French Extreme style...

Martyrs, in the end, is about transcending normal human experience through extreme pain, so that's where the Hellraiser connection comes in.

Might as well use your question as an excuse to recommend From Beyond for the thousandth time. Someone in one of these threads pointed out that Praetorius and Frank from Hellraiser are very similar.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

have you seen Clive Barker's other directorial efforts (Nightbreed & Lord of Illusions)? they're both dope as hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

It's possible that I was part of this confusion, but Pandorum is not similar to Hellraiser. It is similar to Event Horizon. Pandorum is like, all the parts of Event Horizon that weren't like Hellraiser. Don't get me wrong, Pandorum is a decent movie, but I wouldn't go in expecting it to scratch that Hellraiser itch.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Yeah this one was unexpectedly creepy and pretty well done - original release name was The Borderlands. I've been looking for stuff to watch while laid up from work for medical, and have been browsing here and other movie sites for good horror/psych thriller movies.

And I may be in the minority, but I thought The Visit was pretty creepy and decently done. I know Shyamalamadingdong gets a bad rap but it was nice to see a twist that didn't revolve around something supernatural. Kinda plays on some creepy fears people have, I won't spoil it but it's worth a watch.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Snak posted:

It's possible that I was part of this confusion, but Pandorum is not similar to Hellraiser. It is similar to Event Horizon. Pandorum is like, all the parts of Event Horizon that weren't like Hellraiser. Don't get me wrong, Pandorum is a decent movie, but I wouldn't go in expecting it to scratch that Hellraiser itch.

Fair enough. I'm still about to give it a go anyways. Necromentia is pretty obscure I believe, being just some easily overlooked mid-00s straight to video film, but it does feel heavily inspired by Hellraiser. I was hoping maybe there'd be something along those lines where it's some hidden gem out there with the same "feel" regardless of quality.

Nightbreed meanwhile is literally my 2nd favorite all time film, and I've probably seen it 20+ times, and even own the coffee table book.

From Beyond is great, not really like Hellraiser at all besides the pleasure seeking and the bondage tone, but I'm not complaining there. Hell, any lesser seen flicks along those lines are welcome recommendations as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Fair enough. I'm still about to give it a go anyways. Necromentia is pretty obscure I believe, being just some easily overlooked mid-00s straight to video film, but it does feel heavily inspired by Hellraiser. I was hoping maybe there'd be something along those lines where it's some hidden gem out there with the same "feel" regardless of quality.

Nightbreed meanwhile is literally my 2nd favorite all time film, and I've probably seen it 20+ times, and even own the coffee table book.

From Beyond is great, not really like Hellraiser at all besides the pleasure seeking and the bondage tone, but I'm not complaining there. Hell, any lesser seen flicks along those lines are welcome recommendations as well.

it's not really anything like Hellraiser but if you want a gory, wild-rear end movie about demons with lots of dismemberment in it, i watched Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight for the first time recently and it was amazing.

i didn't know there was a Nightbreed coffee table book, that sounds rad. i recently got the special edition blu ray of the Lord of Illusions director's cut, it's soooooo good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dilemma!

If you could see one of the two in an honest-t-goodness theatre on Halloween, which would you attend?

Dead of Night

or

Prince of Darkness

Leaning towards Prince of Darkness because I've never seen it and the theatre itself is nicer, but is Dead of Night worth missing it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dead of Night but really you can't go wrong with either one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ooh, that's a tough call. i might lean Prince of Darkness as well, especially if you've never seen it before, but Dead of Night is very good & spooky.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Prince of Darkness isn't really a film that demands to be seen in a theatre, and I've never seen Dead of Night so maybe the theatre is more essential with that one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was just talking with a co-worker about The Keep (1983) and how Hellraiser-y it gets in places.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thanks guys! I think I'll stick with my first instinct and do Prince of Darkness. It's an older theatre with a nicer vibe anyhow. They're also showing Halloween 3 right before that which I've never seen on a big screen.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

flashy_mcflash posted:

Thanks guys! I think I'll stick with my first instinct and do Prince of Darkness. It's an older theatre with a nicer vibe anyhow. They're also showing Halloween 3 right before that which I've never seen on a big screen.

A fantastic choice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well poo poo you didn't say anything about Halloween 3. Goddamn that's a hell of a double feature.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dilemma!

If you could see one of the two in an honest-t-goodness theatre on Halloween, which would you attend?

Dead of Night

or

Prince of Darkness

Leaning towards Prince of Darkness because I've never seen it and the theatre itself is nicer, but is Dead of Night worth missing it?

For sure see Prince of Darkness, since you haven't before, but that's a terrible opportunity cost either way. What a pair of jams, your town owns.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Well poo poo you didn't say anything about Halloween 3. Goddamn that's a hell of a double feature.

I can't remember if Lil Momma I'm Sorry was looking for sci-fi horror in this thread or another one but Lil Mama: Halloween 3 would go nicely with Prince of Darkness, and it's sci-fi horror. Phantasm kind of is too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i might go see Demons tonight which'll be bomb as heck in a movie theater the night before Halloween.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can't remember if Lil Momma I'm Sorry was looking for sci-fi horror in this thread or another one but Lil Mama: Halloween 3 would go nicely with Prince of Darkness, and it's sci-fi horror. Phantasm kind of is too.

I was and I actually just watched all of those recently. That would make an interesting triple feature-- Halloween 3: SotW, Phantasm, and Prince of Darkness (in that order).

I feel like Event Horizon would pair well with Lord of Illusions, even tho the latter isn't sci-fi at all.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I was and I actually just watched all of those recently. That would make an interesting triple feature-- Halloween 3: SotW, Phantasm, and Prince of Darkness (in that order).

I feel like Event Horizon would pair well with Lord of Illusions, even tho the latter isn't sci-fi at all.

I'm watching Event Horizon right now, and I totally agree. They would pair very well together.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i might go see Demons tonight which'll be bomb as heck in a movie theater the night before Halloween.

I think you have me beat by a mile. I'd love to see Demons in a real movie theatre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've always wanted to catch that one on the big screen.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Kvlt! posted:

That's really not much to go on. Rather than telling us what didn't scare you, why don't you give some examples of what movies did scare you?

The Innkeepers was the closest.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've always wanted to catch that one on the big screen.

When I was working as a projectionist, my co-worker bought a 35mm print of Demons. 4 of us watched it in a 500 seat theater alone. It was glorious.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Whaaaat that sounds loving awesome. I wish we had a cool theater like that here in town.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Just ordered God Told Me To on amazon streaming. Excited as gently caress, yall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is all.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Clive Barker and Todd McFarlane are like, my favourite horror personalities for making weird gross poo poo that appeals to teenagers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

That is all.

Badass.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

God Told Me To = Certified Dope :cool:

Is there anything else like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

God Told Me To = Certified Dope :cool:

Is there anything else like it?

Nope! Larry Cohen films in general are that kinda strange though so just go watch Q The Winged Serpent, The Stuff and the It's Alive films. A very underrated film maker