Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

ActusRhesus posted:

And what the actual gently caress is purple prose?
It's writing that's overly descriptive and flowery.

Hi, everyone. I lurk here though I'm not a lawyer. I wanted to be one when I was a kid but this thread has made me realize law school is not a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Secks Cauldron posted:

Hi, everyone. I lurk here though I'm not a lawyer. I wanted to be one when I was a kid but this thread has made me realize law school is not a good option.

Success!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I always start all contracts with KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS and end all affidavits FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Well, I mean, why wouldn't you? Otherwise the contract wouldn't have binding legal consequences on the contracting individuals' corporate personhood form in admiralty court.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

end all affidavits FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT

I do this. I got into am argument with a lawyer once who thought it was "sayeth not."

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

blarzgh posted:

I do this. I got into am argument with a lawyer once who thought it was "sayeth not."

I hate this almost more than anything. There are no more paragraphs, of course you're not saying anything further in this affidavit! Do you finish your briefs with "The End"?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
COMES NOW

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Best writing tip I ever got: "write like a person."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

NOW INTO COURT, through undersigned counsel, comes your defendant PolluTrex LLC, and by these does aver to this Honorable Court the following

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

A truly worthwhile and rewarding argument

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I always feel like the "further affiant sayeth not" and "COMES NOW" were a practical joke on some poor first-year that really got out of hand

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

NOW INTO COURT, through undersigned counsel, comes your defendant PolluTrex LLC, and by these does aver to this Honorable Court the following

A couple of guys I used to work with were also licensed in Nevada (people from Hawaii love to go to Vegas, get hammered, and slip and fall in hotels) and would start all of their Nevada pleadings with this stuff. I guess it can vary by jurisdiction what your judges expect to read.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

evilweasel posted:

I always feel like the "further affiant sayeth not" and "COMES NOW" were a practical joke on some poor first-year that really got out of hand

actually i think it's "further affiant sayeth naught" :pseudo:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

When I walk into court, I bang my Staff thrice and pronounce, "now comes your plaintiff, the state, herein to prepare for your honors just decision."

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Mons Hubris posted:

actually i think it's "further affiant sayeth naught" :pseudo:

"The dude didn't say anymore poo poo"

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I kind of like COMES NOW but I can't get behind my office's convention of stating that this pleading is timely filed even if there's no reason why anyone would suspect that it isn't timely filed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Roger_Mudd posted:

"The dude didn't say anymore poo poo"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2o0V6VPX_E0

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Seriously, this and purple prose are the two worst things. I've seen some bad writing.

One of the partners I write summary judgment motions for really, really likes to EMPHASIZE POINTS in annoying ways.

A little piece of me dies each time.

VVV I'd like to think that my writing doesn't need that kind of emphasis. Especially when I'm trying to subtly slip in that opposing counsel is dumber than a kindergartner.

Cormack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2015

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

ActusRhesus posted:

Best writing tip I ever got: "write like a person."

Me too. I've got a friend who does appellate work and I am forever trying to convince him that appellate judges (more like clerks) aren't sitting around in some mahogany lined study sipping cognac and chortling at his pithy bon mots and irrelevant philosophical quotes. My briefs tend to be a lot more utilitiarian (Here's the issue, here's where the trial court hosed up, and here's what appellate courts did in similar situations). I'm the defense so I know I'm not going to win anyways, but I'd like to think the harried clerk who skimmed my brief appreciates that I got to the point instead of burying it under purple prose and oblique references to Plato's Republic.

Cormack posted:

One of the partners I write summary judgment motions for really, really likes to EMPHASIZE POINTS in annoying ways.

A little piece of me dies each time.

My old English professor used to tell us that if you have to bold or underline a word in a sentence to emphasize its importance, its probably just a poorly written sentence. I still think that's true even (especially) in the legal profession.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 21, 2015

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This tangent is making me not look forward to legal writing, which I guess my law school is highly ranked at.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Toona the Cat posted:

This tangent is making me not look forward to legal writing, which I guess my law school is highly ranked at.

:negative:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

no it's not, considering it's a school that advertises specialty rankings

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I mean, to be honest, it means nothing to me. I'm just used to short and to the point writing as a newspaper editor.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Popero posted:

I hate this almost more than anything. There are no more paragraphs, of course you're not saying anything further in this affidavit! Do you finish your briefs with "The End"?

If I'm being honest with myself, I do it because it gives me a little titter.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

When I walk into court, I bang my Staff thrice and pronounce, "now comes your plaintiff, the state, herein to prepare for your honors just decision."

This is not the context in which I thought the words "I bang my staff" would come up in this thread.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Popero posted:

I center the word "Fin" with a bunch of asterisks and tildes around it like
~*~*~*~*~~*FIN~*~*~*~*~*
So they know I'm serious.

Probad posted:

This is not the context in which I thought the words "I bang my staff" would come up in this thread.

:laffo:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Toona the Cat posted:

If you haven't done the legal writing course yet, you must be a 1L. So you still have time to get out before you're pot committed. Avoid lots more debt AND that writing class.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

If you haven't done the legal writing course yet, you must be a 1L. So you still have time to get out before you're pot committed. Avoid lots more debt AND that writing class.

He's a 0L who wants to take out a reverse mortgage on his home that he owns outright to attend a T2 school.

I'm sorry toona. There's still time though.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

SlothBear posted:

I center the word "Fin" with a bunch of asterisks and tildes around it like
~*~*~*~*~~*FIN~*~*~*~*~*
So they know I'm serious.

Im going to embed a flashing "under construction" gif in my documents so the court can tell I'll turn in an amended pleading later.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He's a 0L who wants to take out a reverse mortgage on his home that he owns outright to attend a T2 school.

Christ. How has he gotten to this point in the thread and still wants to go to law school?

Seriously, go anywhere but law school.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Christ. How has he gotten to this point in the thread and still wants to go to law school?

Seriously, go anywhere but law school.

Please don't go to law school, Toona.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its 2:15 on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and I'm posting this from my office.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If I were a judge, I would end my orders with SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO SHALL IT BE DONE.

Also, the fact that all our legislators are writing in their second language leads to some curious constructions in our statutes. See if you can spot the problem in section 6(b) of this public law (page 18).

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

echopapa posted:

If I were a judge, I would end my orders with SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO SHALL IT BE DONE.

Also, the fact that all our legislators are writing in their second language leads to some curious constructions in our statutes. See if you can spot the problem in section 6(b) of this public law (page 18).

I'm just imagining a statute that reads: "Notwithstanding any provision of Commissioner of Fire and Emergency Medical Services, only a person licensed pursuant to Commissioner of Fire and Emergency Medical Services may provide to retail customers any of the services listed in Commissioner of Fire and Emergency Medical Services"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yall caint write fuh sheeit

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Don't do this, oh god.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

lollin irl

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I never said I wanted to, all I asked was if borrowing about 15% of my equity was a good idea which was roundly panned and I discarded the idea.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

I never said I wanted to, all I asked was if borrowing about 15% of my equity was a good idea which was roundly panned and I discarded the idea.

Are you still planning on going to law school, and if you are, where are you planning on going/at what cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Yes, Duquesne, about $7,500 a year after a non-GPA reliant scholarship.