Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Imagine if someone in the 2000's collects together all the gossip from supermarket tabloids in the 20th century into one volume and in the 3700's it's basically the only primary source available for scholars studying the 20th century.

Princess Diana would be considered to be the greatest ruler of our age.

That’s hilarious. But isn’t it weirder than that? According to the wiki the author invented and misattributed sources, created entire historical figures who appear nowhere else and wrote biographies of them, including anachronisms and even intentional lies. The wiki said some people think it might be a satire of the historical genre, others that it serves some other purpose. Idk!

e: I’m imagining if some collection of Hilary Clinton conspiracy articles survived for 1700 years and that is the only major source for the history of the United States from 1990-2020

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elagabalus liked dick and was a horny teen with absolute power, can you blame her?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Miss Broccoli posted:

Elagabalus liked dick and was a horny teen with absolute power, can you blame her?

Also liked to defile and sacrifice children — but only those who were beautiful and had two living parents, thus maximizing the suffering

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Delthalaz posted:

e: I’m imagining if some collection of Hilary Clinton conspiracy articles survived for 1700 years and that is the only major source for the history of the United States from 1990-2020

Lol, Hillary is definitely going down as the Livia of the American Empire.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delthalaz posted:

Also liked to defile and sacrifice children — but only those who were beautiful and had two living parents, thus maximizing the suffering

Perhaps child rulers were a mistake

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

If accurate information about Trump survives a couple millennia, I wouldn't blame historians for being skeptical about some of it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SerialKilldeer posted:

If accurate information about Trump survives a couple millennia, I wouldn't blame historians for being skeptical about some of it.

"President Trump constantly golfing at Trump resorts must be some mixup of timelines. He was known for his golfing and resorts pre-presidency, but there were checks and balances in place that would have prevented him spending public money on his own properties".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

So after diving down an internet rabbit hole I just read the portion of the Historia Augusta on Elagabalus and it was absolutely hilarious. Laugh out loud moments include the author saying Elagabalus’ name Varius was given to him by schoolmates because his mother was a harlot and he had “various” fathers (no clue how this works out in Latin), sending agents around the country to find men with the biggest dicks, etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books or articles on the topic of the Historia. I read the wikipedia page and it’s fascinating that we don’t know what the deal is with this weird book.

The Latin is literally where the English word comes from :eng101:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ola posted:

"President Trump constantly golfing at Trump resorts must be some mixup of timelines. He was known for his golfing and resorts pre-presidency, but there were checks and balances in place that would have prevented him spending public money on his own properties".

I think we're all being taught a lesson about checks and balances in government and how no, institutions won't save anyone.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Imagine if someone in the 2000's collects together all the gossip from supermarket tabloids in the 20th century into one volume and in the 3700's it's basically the only primary source available for scholars studying the 20th century.

Princess Diana would be considered to be the greatest ruler of our age.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Good old false archaism.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ælfred: hand me the aux cord
Me: you better not play trash
Ælfred:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

New evidence of humans in Mexico 33,000 years ago: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53486868

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

If y'all haven't stumbled on it yet, over the last couple of months a couple of youtube musicians have built up a repertoire of 'bardcore' medieval-instrumentation covers of pop songs.

One in particular, the_miracle_aligner, has taken it to the next level, collaborating with linguists to actually translate the songs fully rather than just doing pastiche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvAEMz64O9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbEKIW3pUUk

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

New evidence of humans in Mexico 33,000 years ago: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53486868

Hope the evidences holds up. I've always felt humans got to the Americas much earlier than Clovis, like 40,000 years ago or longer.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

HookedOnChthonics posted:

If y'all haven't stumbled on it yet, over the last couple of months a couple of youtube musicians have built up a repertoire of 'bardcore' medieval-instrumentation covers of pop songs.

One in particular, the_miracle_aligner, has taken it to the next level, collaborating with linguists to actually translate the songs fully rather than just doing pastiche:

I really enjoyed these! Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hope the evidences holds up. I've always felt humans got to the Americas much earlier than Clovis, like 40,000 years ago or longer.

For sure a lot earlier than Clovis, I don't know why that even gets mentioned anymore. My suspicion is humans got to the Americas as early as was feasible, whenever that was. But you do get weird things like Madagascar being settled so late and from Taiwan of all places.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

Madagascar being settled so late and from Taiwan of all places.

Wait, what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I misremembered, the settlers came directly from the Indonesian islands around Malaysia but they're part of the general Oceania settlement waves, which are believed to have originated in Taiwan. It was only settled about ~2,000 years ago. But yeah you would've thought people from Africa would've made that trip like, tens of thousands of years earlier but they did not for whatever reason.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

I misremembered, the settlers came directly from the Indonesian islands around Malaysia but they're part of the general Oceania settlement waves, which are believed to have originated in Taiwan. It was only settled about ~2,000 years ago. But yeah you would've thought people from Africa would've made that trip like, tens of thousands of years earlier but they did not for whatever reason.

Isn't Madagascar like mini-Australia where everything is super toxic and trying to kill you?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The first settlers of Madagascar were austronesians that came across the Indian Ocean in canoes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Newly excavated tools suggest humans lived in North America at least 30,000 years ago

quote:

Tools excavated from a cave in central Mexico are strong evidence that humans were living in North America at least 30,000 years ago, some 15,000 years earlier than previously thought, scientists said on Wednesday.

The artefacts, including 1,900 stone tools, showed human occupation of the high-altitude Chiquihuite cave over a 20,000-year period, they reported in two studies published in the journal Nature.

“Our results provide new evidence for the antiquity of humans in the Americas,” Ciprian Ardelean, an archaeologist at the Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas and the lead author of one of the studies, told AFP.

“There are only a few artefacts and a couple of dates from that range,” he said, referring to radiocarbon dating results putting the oldest samples at 33,000 to 31,000 years ago. “However, the presence is there.”

No traces of human bones or DNA were found at the site.

“It is likely that humans used this site on a relatively constant basis, perhaps in recurrent seasonal episodes part of larger migratory cycles,” the study concluded.

The saga of how and when Homo sapiens arrived in the Americas – the last major land mass to be populated by our species – is fiercely debated among experts, and the new findings will probably be contested.

Until recently, the widely accepted storyline was that the first humans to set foot in the Americas crossed a land bridge from present-day Russia to Alaska some 13,5000 years ago and moved south through a corridor between two massive ice sheets.

Archeological evidence – including uniquely crafted spear points used to slay mammoths and other prehistoric megafauna – suggested this founding population, known as Clovis culture, spread across North America, giving rise to distinct native American populations.

But the so-called Clovis-first model has fallen apart over the last two decades with the discovery of several ancient human settlements dating back two or three thousand years earlier.

In the second study published in Nature, evidence from 42 sites around North America indicated human presence dating to at least a time called the Last Glacial Maximum, when ice sheets blanketed much of the continent, about 26,000 to 19,000 years ago and immediately thereafter.

The findings suggest low numbers of people entered the continent earlier than previously understood – some perhaps by boat along a Pacific coastal route rather than crossing the land bridge – and some died out without leaving descendants.

“Clearly, people were in the Americas long before the development of Clovis technology in North America,” said Gruhn, an anthropology professor emerita at the University of Alberta, in comments on the new findings.

The archaeological scientist Lorena Becerra-Valdivia of the University of Oxford in England and the University of New South Wales in Australia – the lead of author of the second article – said the continent’s populations then expanded significantly beginning around 14,700 years ago.

“These are paradigm-shifting results that shape our understanding of the initial dispersal of modern humans into the Americas,” Becerra-Valdivia added.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I remember in the book 1491 the author was making fun of archeologists insisting humans were in the Americas 15000 ya at the earliest and predicted something like this was certain to happen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

I remember in the book 1491 the author was making fun of archeologists insisting humans were in the Americas 15000 ya at the earliest and predicted something like this was certain to happen.

Wasn't 1491 crap? Or was that 1421 or some poo poo?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah that was a super good book

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Wasn't 1491 crap? Or was that 1421 or some poo poo?

1491 is a great book about the Americas before Columbus. 1421 is a pile of utter dogshit claiming China went to the Americas but all the evidence mysteriously vanished.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The thing I remember from 1491 was that the first inland (European) visitors to what is now the Mississippi valley found it already ravaged by plague and civil destruction

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Grand Fromage posted:

1491 is a great book about the Americas before Columbus. 1421 is a pile of utter dogshit claiming China went to the Americas but all the evidence mysteriously vanished.

the sequel to 1421 was titled "1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance", which really kicks "all the evidence mysteriously vanished" up a notch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That reminds me of one of my favorite books: Fingerprints if the Gods

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the sequel to 1421 was titled "1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance", which really kicks "all the evidence mysteriously vanished" up a notch

It's quite the Hot Take.

You may or may not be surprised that Gavin Menzies is taken quite seriously in China and popular enough that there's a huge wine brand called 1421. There's also a 1421 themed slot machine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

Whichever of the two ended up being the good one has been on the shortlist for the next time I have an Audible credit to burn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's really good, the only flaw is it's from 2005 and there's been a lot of prehistory research in the Americas since then. But nothing he says is wrong as far as I know, it's just overly conservative.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HookedOnChthonics posted:

If anybody needs an excuse to click on these, the first one is an Old French cover of The House of the Rising Sun, and the first line is "There is a house in Orleans."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would be surprised if there weren't a population of dwarf hominids there for them to genocide.

The human family tree is increasingly looking more like a raspberry bush.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You’d think with small (small) populations and large distances you get lots and lots of diversity due to drift and sexual selection

Oh and the one evolutionary mechanism I can’t think of. Bottle necking or something

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's also more and more evidence that different branches of hominins survived a lot longer than we thought. Forty thousand years ago there were probably half a dozen human species running around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh yeah, in case anyone here is interested in prehistory, Patrick Wyman has just started a new series within Tides of History on all about it, currently tracing through what we know about early hominids. I've probably posted that before but :shrug:

euphronius posted:

The thing I remember from 1491 was that the first inland (European) visitors to what is now the Mississippi valley found it already ravaged by plague and civil destruction

Also the first Europeans that sailed down the Amazon (having started on the Peruvian side) talked about how it was almost a continuous line of villages all the way down. By the next time Europeans sailed up river, nearly all of those people were gone.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's really good, the only flaw is it's from 2005 and there's been a lot of prehistory research in the Americas since then. But nothing he says is wrong as far as I know, it's just overly conservative.

I'm glad to learn that it's considered accurate because from the reader's side it's very good (1493 too, his book about the consequences of the european discovery of america)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It looks like the library has 1493 available but 1491 is wait-listed. I don't want to skip right ahead to the sequel in case it has spoilers?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember reading 1421 when I was younger and thinking, "You know, this would be a lot more convincing if he limited it to 'evidence of contact with the Pacific coast of North America.'"

e: Wasn't there one anchor stone or something? Though "one ship gets hilariously out of synch, ends up crashing in NorCal, survivors presumably died or intermarried with the native societies" is a lot less, uh, dramatic.