Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like O'Brien's head would have exploded if he heard Geordi's "Maybe that's how things work in the lab, but out here in the field blah blah blah." Geordi thinks working on the most advanced ship in the fleet is "the field" when O'Brien has to deal with all kinds of weird alien poo poo, not to mention Quark's holosuites held together by spatulas.

To be fair, a ship like Enterprise that's exploring distant unexplored regions far from immediate support and also occasionally serving on hot military borders has plenty of its own field logistical problems. Deep Space Nine had the resources of an entire planet and sat on the most important trade and transit route in the quadrant one the Wormhole was discovered, so in some ways they were better off than any starship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wee Bairns posted:

Binary Badger, thanks for the comic artist history lesson, that's some interesting information!

Thanks, not too many people are into it, but it's something I like to follow.

quote:

While, as illustrated, some of the artwork in the old comics was just bad, a lot of it was reaaaaaally good too, especially a lot of the two page spreads. (In the DC run especially, though Gold Key had some decent artwork as well in it's later issues).

The first DC run's sole purpose was to keep Trek in the 'public' eye after WoK, the inker figured it out even before the penciller (Tom) did.

quote:

The Peter Pan comic/record sets were also done by an artist with obviously very limited source materials, as they featured a white, blond Uhura and a black Sulu. (Though I wonder if they simply didn't have a license for those actor's character/image.}

Neal Adams*, who drew most of the covers, also hated Star Trek and did this as a "pays the bills" job. Some of stories were actually interesting as they were written by Alan Dean Foster, who I shouldn't have to introduce to anyone who reads ST novels, and Cary Bates, a longtime DC writer most noted for his Action Comics/Superman stories. But others were real howlers, check out this online review of some of the stinkers. It's pretty evident they only got license to use the main three, the ship, and general technology. The issues done by Alan Dean Foster frequently made call-outs to elements of TAS, such as Lieutenant M'Ress, which only made sense as he wrote a shitload of TAS episodes.

Art was a mix of Russ Heath, Dick Giordano (known for drawing women pretty well) and Neal Adams. BTW, don't even bother playing the records, it's all soundalikes, no 'real' actor voices.

BTW, since Neal discovered Trek pays the bills, he's also doing some current JJTrek based comics.

* BTW, Neal genuinely believes in the Expanding Earth theory. Just go look at his Facebook page, he loves it when people mention it to him.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 4, 2016

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZRsf9sneQ

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Binary Badger posted:

* BTW, Neal genuinely believes in the Expanding Earth theory. Just go look at his Facebook page, he loves it when people mention it to him.

Umm how can the earth expand if it's flat? :rolleyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
CBS confirmed the January 2017 premiere date for the new show, and that it would indeed air weekly, plus the $6/month charge to use CBS All Access.

In Axanar news:

quote:

As reported by UPI, the Language Creation Society has filed an amicus brief and exhibits in the case of Paramount/CBS v. Axanar over the studios’ claim to copyright of the Klingon language from the various incarnations of Trek, arguing you can’t copyright a language.

The group’s lawyer, First Amendment attorney Marc Randazza, argues, “Paramount Pictures lacks the ‘yab bang chut’ or ‘mind property law’ necessary to claim copyright over the Klingon language.”

Paramount’s attorney, David Grossman, shot back that, “This argument is absurd since a language is only useful if it can be used to communicate with people, and there are no Klingons with whom to communicate.”

I would love to be a CBS/Paramount lawyer in this case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

CBS confirmed the January 2017 premiere date for the new show, and that it would indeed air weekly, plus the $6/month charge to use CBS All Access.

Conservative 10 episode run means 3 months of service to watch them when they air, so $18. I'm also guessing there will be ads in there as well.

Sorry. I really want to support the new series, but that price is too high. There's literally nothing else I would want to watch on CBS all access that would make it worth it.

Tell you what CBS. Release it in Google Play for $20.99 for the whole season (commercial free) and I'll buy it there. Otherwise, I'm waiting for the last week, signing up for a free month, binging and then cancelling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckbag posted:

Doubling the crew size just means there's less breathing room for everyone and you have to pay a bunch of semi-famous actors for what are basically nothing parts.

Basically the same reason Nimoy wouldn't be in Generations.

Nimoy wasn't necessarily opposed to being in Generations, and in fact was interested when they offered him the directing job. But he wanted another rewrite on the script, Berman said, "No, this is the script we're going to shoot," and Nimoy just wasn't interested in directing something he couldn't have any hand in creating. It was De Kelley who felt he'd said goodbye to McCoy with The Undiscovered Country (and he was already not in the best of health by 1994).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
MAY THE FOURTH FOUR LIGHTS BE WITH YOU!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

MAY THE FOURTH FOUR LIGHTS BE WITH YOU!

It's May fifth.

I noticed yesterday that First Contact Day (which is I guess the Trek day now) is 5/4, and Star Wars day is 4/5. Neat.

Reverse numbers as you wish.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's May fifth.

I noticed yesterday that First Contact Day (which is I guess the Trek day now) is 5/4, and Star Wars day is 4/5. Neat.

Reverse numbers as you wish.

No. I can assure you it's May 4th.

Unless you're Crewman Daniels and posting from the future.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gonz posted:

No. I can assure you it's May 4th.

Unless you're Crewman Daniels and posting from the future.

In Australia, it's the morning of May 5th. Maybe he's posting from there?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HIJK posted:

Yeah, that just occurred to me. Apologies, MikeJF. Watch out for Drop Bears.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Nimoy wasn't necessarily opposed to being in Generations, and in fact was interested when they offered him the directing job. But he wanted another rewrite on the script, Berman said, "No, this is the script we're going to shoot," and Nimoy just wasn't interested in directing something he couldn't have any hand in creating. It was De Kelley who felt he'd said goodbye to McCoy with The Undiscovered Country (and he was already not in the best of health by 1994).

Might have been cheaper for Paramount if they'd done the rewrite before the test audience panned the ending :v:

(I know he wouldn't have necessarily changed the ending. But it's still fun to hoot and make fun of the ending that was so bad Paramount spent a shitload of money to drag everyone back out to the desert to reshoot it.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Conservative 10 episode run means 3 months of service to watch them when they air, so $18. I'm also guessing there will be ads in there as well.

Sorry. I really want to support the new series, but that price is too high. There's literally nothing else I would want to watch on CBS all access that would make it worth it.

Tell you what CBS. Release it in Google Play for $20.99 for the whole season (commercial free) and I'll buy it there. Otherwise, I'm waiting for the last week, signing up for a free month, binging and then cancelling.

...wait, is CBS All Access not going to be commercial-free? Are you telling me I'd be paying for internet video that I'd still be sitting through commercials for?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...wait, is CBS All Access not going to be commercial-free? Are you telling me I'd be paying for internet video that I'd still be sitting through commercials for?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
The head of CBS said last December they would want to eventually offer and ad free version for 10 bucks a month but so far nothing more has been said. So it looks like I'll be subscribing for the last month then canceling.

If its even any good.

Also the web based player is pure poo poo the last time I used it so I would hope they get that fixed up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Timby posted:

If memory serves, that series included a multi-issue run in which the Excelsior was taken over by spacefaring cats, which always made me go :wtc: as a kid.

Note that this was written by regular Trek Pocket Book novelist Diane Duane, who wrote Spock's World and the Rihannsu books. She ways always one of my favorites. The regular cast of supporting characters from her books make appearances in the comic! The horta, Lt. Naraht, is one of those.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

Yeah, that just occurred to me. Apologies, MikeJF. Watch out for Drop Bears.

Don't worry, I never leave the house without a dab of Vegemite behind the ears. Haven't been attacked in months.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HIJK posted:

IT'S THE FOURTH

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

IT'S THE FOURTH

I am so ashamed of myself that I didn't even think of replying with this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I can't believe I missed that /o\ forgive me thread

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Might have been cheaper for Paramount if they'd done the rewrite before the test audience panned the ending :v:

I think it was Sherry Lansing, the chairman of Paramount, who went to Berman and said, "You don't have an ending. Here's $5 million; make it not suck."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kesper North posted:

Note that this was written by regular Trek Pocket Book novelist Diane Duane, who wrote Spock's World and the Rihannsu books. She ways always one of my favorites. The regular cast of supporting characters from her books make appearances in the comic! The horta, Lt. Naraht, is one of those.

I still think that the Rihannsu take on Romulans was a more interesting one than what we got.

Hell, the Klingon stuff in Enterprise: The First Adventure (by Vonda N. McIntyre) would have resulted in a very different take going forward, and I'm not sure it would have been worse than the fairly shallow 'all about honor, supposedly' thing they eventually became.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I always liked Ford's version of the Klingons, with the Thought Admirals and the like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jng2058 posted:

I always liked Ford's version of the Klingons, with the Thought Admirals and the like.

That's from one of the TOS novels brought up way back in the thread, right? Which one, I need to see if I can find a copy somewhere.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sanguinia posted:

To be fair, a ship like Enterprise that's exploring distant unexplored regions far from immediate support and also occasionally serving on hot military borders has plenty of its own field logistical problems. Deep Space Nine had the resources of an entire planet and sat on the most important trade and transit route in the quadrant one the Wormhole was discovered, so in some ways they were better off than any starship.

They managed to have a much safer power core, that's for sure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

They didn't have to rip space a new arsehole on the regular.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

WarLocke posted:

That's from one of the TOS novels brought up way back in the thread, right? Which one, I need to see if I can find a copy somewhere.

"The Final Reflection" by John Ford. He also wrote "How Much For Just the Planet" which is a straight up comedy, and a drat funny one at that, which also has some Ford-style Klingons. He also did "The Klingons" a supplement for the old FASA RPG. There's no story in that book, of course, but its a decent encyclopedia style (with some game stats mixed in) look at his version of the Klingons.

You can get the 1999 reprint edition of "The Final Reflection" for $4 from Amazon US (depending on where you live in the world), and I recommend that you do.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 5, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jng2058 posted:

"The Final Reflection" by John Ford. He also wrote "How Much For Just the Planet" which is a straight up comedy, and a drat funny one at that, which also has some Ford-style Klingons. He also did "The Klingons" a supplement for the old FASA RPG. There's no story in that book, of course, but its a decent encyclopedia style (with some game stats mixed in) look at his version of the Klingons.

"How Much" is great. I bought it when I was still barely a teenager expecting your typical Star Trek novel and got a book that ended with a food fight with cream pies, a literal pull back the curtain moment, and Kirk asking for a pie to throw at Spock only to get several "given" to him at the same time..

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nebakenezzer posted:

On that note, I can't remember a fusion/impulse generator having a safety problem except when they intentionally used one to destroy the planet killer on TOS and when the DS9 one almost self destructed in Civil Defense.

...Not that its going to propel you at superluminal velocity though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

On that note, I can't remember a fusion/impulse generator having a safety problem except when they intentionally used one to destroy the planet killer on TOS and when the DS9 one almost self destructed in Civil Defense.

Mmm. Well, I think the idea with antimatter is that you don't actually produce power from it - it takes as much energy to create antimatter as reacting it gives off. But it lets you store that energy really, really densely and get it out really, really intensely. And your antimatter production station has basically infinite energy to make the stuff with because you just put it next to the sun. So you generate a crapload of antimatter to run your warp ships with, fuel 'em up, and they're good to go instead of having to lug around moon-sized tank of hydrogen.

Stations have no need for that, so they just use fusion. Hydrogen's easy to get supplied with in-system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tried out CBS's app last night with my Chromecast (newer one). It's not All Access but it's using the same app.

Yeah, I won't be paying for this poo poo.

Audio quality is poo poo. Sounds like a 96kbs MP3 from 1998. Bitrate on the video was hilariously low and the whole thing lacked dynamic range. It was all washed out. Worst still was the frame rate which wasn't constant and kept hitching every few seconds.

It's an embarrassment. Here's a hint TV networks. You need to have a good app ecosystem for your streaming service to be a success. If you aren't striving to hit HBO or Netflix levels of quality, just partner with Hulu or Amazon to deliver your paid subscription.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

It's an embarrassment. Here's a hint TV networks. You need to have a good app ecosystem for your streaming service to be a success. If you aren't striving to hit HBO or Netflix levels of quality, just partner with Hulu or Amazon to deliver your paid subscription.

But if they do that, the execs can't put "deployed cutting-edge TV streaming service" on their resume!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Hatter posted:

I have memories of the Enterprise D's warp core constantly threatening to blow up the ship, same with Voyager. This might be a Sulu "Oh My" sort of delusion, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have memories of the Enterprise D's warp core constantly threatening to blow up the ship, same with Voyager. This might be a Sulu "Oh My" sort of delusion, though.

It happened very infrequently at first, and then started happening more and more as the seasons wore on and the writing became more dull and rote.

I think the first time the main reactor was posed as a threat was in Contagion, which was kind of more the computer threatening to suddenly auto-destruct the ship.

Then there was Yesterday's Enterprise, when the reactor develops a serious coolant leak after the ship had taken the biggest beating ever, and even then it's kind of vague; Geordi says he "can't shut it down," but he might be referring to the coolant leak - and it's easy to interpret that scene as "it doesn't matter how long we have until the reactor goes up, because the ship's not going to last that long anyway."

Hollow Pursuits had the engines racing out of control after some goofy contamination hosed up the antimatter injectors.

Those aren't too bad. Later on we got poo poo like Cause and Effect where a love-tap on the nacelle caused the reactor to blow up for some reason (??), or Timescape where a "power transfer feedback loop" (man the writers loved having that be a killer!) caused a warp core breach, or Parallels where that one Enterprise from the hell timeline had a warp core breach from a torpedo hitting the saucer, or Thine Own Image where Troi's command test was dealing with an imminent warp core breach (by sending Geordi to die), or All Good Things where each Enterprise in turn was destroyed by a ~*warp core breach*~.

Oh, and then there was Generations.

Ugh, I know it's passé as gently caress, but I really want to hit Brannon Braga now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

To be fair, in "Parallels" it was fairly obvious that the Borg Are Everywhere Enterprise was being held together by spit and duct tape Riker's beard.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An antimatter containment breach is a plausible way to blow up the ship, they just got lazy with it. There are lots of other ways to blow up the ship, like when they crashed into another ship. You don't need an excuse for the ship falling apart with ten thousand tons slamming it at high speed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Those aren't too bad. Later on we got poo poo like Cause and Effect where a love-tap on the nacelle caused the reactor to blow up for some reason (??)

But this did basically nothing.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
They don't make 'em like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

• Locked thread