Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Doom 2016 is incredibly boring. Once you've played the game for twenty minutes you've seen the whole game.

Eh, kind of. I had to play the game in 1 hour chunks because of this. After the opening level it does do some interesting things beyond arena battles, with some levels that mimic the old school design of having to figure something out and find your way around. Somewhere between half of 2/3rds of the way through though it seems to give up on this, and its just one arena after another. Those "lockdown" battles get repetitive, but they do an excellent job at making you feel overwhelmed, like "holy poo poo how am I gonna make it out of this?" as you deplete all your resources and just barely scrape by to the next checkpoint. This saves the battles from feeling mindless, which Doom Eternal did not replicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

All battle royales suck rear end

They're just FPS games except there's a lot of time wasting (not seeing any other players for ages) and whether you do well or not is often up to chance (did you find a good weapon? No? gently caress you). I hate them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Eh, kind of. I had to play the game in 1 hour chunks because of this. After the opening level it does do some interesting things beyond arena battles, with some levels that mimic the old school design of having to figure something out and find your way around. Somewhere between half of 2/3rds of the way through though it seems to give up on this, and its just one arena after another. Those "lockdown" battles get repetitive, but they do an excellent job at making you feel overwhelmed, like "holy poo poo how am I gonna make it out of this?" as you deplete all your resources and just barely scrape by to the next checkpoint. This saves the battles from feeling mindless, which Doom Eternal did not replicate.

I never got that feeling. Oh look, it's another revenant. Time to shoot it with half a dozen of the most anemic rocket launcher shots I've ever seen in a game. Oh, which of the same three glory kills am I going to get this time.

It didn't feel overwhelming, it just felt like tedious busywork. I stopped playing after I killed the cyberdemon and it was about a month before I realized I'd stopped playing the game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

food court bailiff posted:

i still don't understand how apex legends got popular

its free

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fartbox posted:

They're just FPS games except there's a lot of time wasting (not seeing any other players for ages) and whether you do well or not is often up to chance (did you find a good weapon? No? gently caress you). I hate them

warzone is good because the starter pistol is a surprisingly good weapon for 90% of the fights you will end up getting into due to the way the map is set up

basically any time i come back from the gulag i try to aim for some idiot on a roof somewhere, kill the poo poo out of them and take their stuff to get back in the game in earnest

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fartbox posted:

I can love a game that does the whole "you didn't get a good weapon, now you die" thing but what I did play of PUBG/Call of Duty Battle Royale/Apex Legends felt so loving empty and full of dead air.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

isn't that in every BR though? i forget if it's in fortnite but it's certainly in warzone and i think(?) pubg as well

War zone was like a year after Apex so it had time to grow the install base. The only thing I see about pinging in PUBG is about server ping, even adding ping location still gives server stuff. I’ve never played that one, though. Apex was definitely the first BR I played that had that feature, though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fartbox posted:

Tetris 99?

But yeah, most competitive multiplayer games do best when games are short and there's few consequences for losing. Hence the earlier poster racking up 900 hours in Rocket League, and Splatoon also comes to mind with its default game length being 5 minutes. (and basically only the last 60 seconds really matter)

Though I did enjoy watching my brother play Apex Legends, it's definitely a spectator sport kind of game.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The timed flag carrier debuff ruined warsong gulch

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Doom 2016 is incredibly boring. Once you've played the game for twenty minutes you've seen the whole game.

Pretty sure you haven't been able to fire a single rocket in the first 20 minutes so that's clearly not true

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i feel like you need at least a lil bit of a problem w your masculinity to endure that sort of fps

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty sure you haven't been able to fire a single rocket in the first 20 minutes so that's clearly not true

Plink. Poof. There's the Doom rocket launcher. Takes half a dozen shots to kill anything but the weakest enemies in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Plink. Poof. There's the Doom rocket launcher. Takes half a dozen shots to kill anything but the weakest enemies in the game.

The rocket launcher is kind of lame, fortunately for the game there are a bunch of other guns that aren't lame.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

The rocket launcher is kind of lame, fortunately for the game there are a bunch of other guns that aren't lame.

Where? Cause I got through the cyberdemon without finding any.

Might have helped if everything bigger than an imp wasn't a ridiculous bullet sponge.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

doom 2016 is surprisingly good and the fact that it plays differently than every other FPS released in that period is a point in its favor, imo

hey GBS, if I fuckin love the new Hitman games and keep going back to them when I have a lovely day (read: about five times a week) is the Patient Zero dlc campaign worth picking up

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I loved Doom 2016 and played the hell out of it, but there was a pretty big dissonance when the power fantasy glory kills only come after shooting an enemy five hundred times.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doom 2016 is surprisingly good and the fact that it plays differently than every other FPS released in that period is a point in its favor, imo

hey GBS, if I fuckin love the new Hitman games and keep going back to them when I have a lovely day (read: about five times a week) is the Patient Zero dlc campaign worth picking up

It’s got one really good mission using the Sapienza map, one that you’ll like or hate depending on how you like sniper levels, and two that aren’t terrible but are kinda eh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the theme song/menu music for guilty gear Xrd totally slams and I find myself jamming it out on a guitar more often than I would care to admit

e: do you think axl rose knows he is a character in guilty gear, and if so do you think he mains axl low

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 6, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I know I'm way late on the rocket league discussion, but that game is like 5 years old and 900 hours is only an hour every other day. Yeah it's a big number but it's also "play half an hour after coming home from work" territory. You have some weekends that you play it for a few hours, some days less, and then before you know it, it comes out to 900 hours.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Apex is fun, but you can't pub it anymore. It actually wasn't a bad game to play with randos until a few months in. Now more than half the time, I end up with an AFK person or someone who splits off by themselves the second we drop.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

battle royales are overall a cursed genre

I once got 120 and 40 deaths kills in a game of battlefield, now that is where its at.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Does Adam Jensen still have his penis in Human Revolution/Mankind Divided?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

isn't that in every BR though? i forget if it's in fortnite but it's certainly in warzone and i think(?) pubg as well

Apex had it first, Fortnite added it after a month or so post-Apex.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i feel like you need at least a lil bit of a problem w your masculinity to endure that sort of fps

Nah, I feel like slaughtering demons is something everyone can enjoy. FPS war games where you shoot only other humans, are the defacto "toxic/fragile masculinity" games imo.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I played a lot of World of Tanks for a year or two, and ended up at a reasonable win ratio and score. I don't think I can go back, though. I've been away for so long that I'd have to learn everything again, including whatever new content they've stuffed in since. Doing that while looking like I should be cpmpetent to people with stats mods is also a bit stressful. I think I'll just check it off as "a game I have beaten" and leave it at that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Nah, I feel like slaughtering demons is something everyone can enjoy. FPS war games where you shoot only other humans, are the defacto "toxic/fragile masculinity" games imo.

i actually think it is those grand strategy war games like hearts of iron where nerds can pretend to be generals

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Games are generally power fantasies yeah

Even Super Mario

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

i actually think it is those grand strategy war games like hearts of iron where nerds can pretend to be generals

every paradox game has way too big a fash contingent

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I thought doom 16 was really fun, the rocket launcher specifically in retrospect was kinda puny, but for the most part that was ok coz you could load up a bunch of rockets at once. Plus, it had the ultimate ARGH gently caress ALL Y'ALL button in the best BFG yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

!Klams posted:

I thought doom 16 was really fun, the rocket launcher specifically in retrospect was kinda puny, but for the most part that was ok coz you could load up a bunch of rockets at once. Plus, it had the ultimate ARGH gently caress ALL Y'ALL button in the best BFG yet.

Cytherral takes the thread title v much to heart

Barudak
May 7, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Does Adam Jensen still have his penis in Human Revolution/Mankind Divided?

Yes in Human Revolution, a philosphical debate over which "his" you mean in Mankind Divided.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sebmojo posted:

Cytherral takes the thread title v much to heart

Quite so. Every time I mention on the internet that I think Doom 2016 was a boring garbage game or Witcher 3 was an incredibly overrated, tedious slog, people come boiling out of the woodwork to defend the honor of the video game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The doom 2016 thread became worse than a dark souls discussion when eternal came out. Any complaint about the constant chainsaw/juggling meters was shouted down aggressively

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I really enjoyed doom2016 as it was a nice diversion from what I usually play but ive heard enough about doom eternal to know that I never want to touch it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

doom 2016 is just lot of circle strafing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doom and Doom are the same in every way that matters.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if im honest i never really liked any doom game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a bow and arrow is a more fun ranged weapon to use in a game than a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doom and Doom are the same in every way that matters.

It's true, Doom is Doom