Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

C-Euro posted:

What are some good uses for this 4-5 lb pork shoulder in my freezer, besides BBQ pulled pork and carnitas (both of which I've done recently)?

I sound like a broken record, but Bavarian roast pork (with beer and stuff) is delicious. If interested I'll repost it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay, question about fresh pasta. When it cooks so quickly that it barely spends any time in boiling water before it's done, how do you manage to get it so that it doesn't overcook while you finish it in sauce?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ranter posted:

I sound like a broken record, but Bavarian roast pork (with beer and stuff) is delicious. If interested I'll repost it again.

Please do because I also need an excuse to re-stock my beer supply :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would totally be down with more pork shoulder recipes.

By the way, you're supposed to brown pork shoulder before cooking it, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

54 40 or gently caress posted:

How long can I store homemade, risen balls of pizza dough in the freezer? I'm seeing anywhere from two weeks to three months

Indefinitely. I've had risen balls of dough in the freezer for like a year. They didn't rise as much again when I defrosted them and there was definitely less oven spring, but they tasted fine. They certainly won't go "bad".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

C-Euro posted:

What are some good uses for this 4-5 lb pork shoulder in my freezer, besides BBQ pulled pork and carnitas (both of which I've done recently)?
Cubans!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cut that 4-lb pork shoulder into four 1-lb pieces.
1. Bavarian
2. Cubans (I'm assuming Bob Marles is talking about the sandwiches with pickles and swiss cheese. They're good. Make those)
3. Chile verde
4. Marinate in something, roast or braise.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ExecuDork posted:

Cut that 4-lb pork shoulder into four 1-lb pieces.
1. Bavarian
2. Cubans (I'm assuming Bob Marles is talking about the sandwiches with pickles and swiss cheese. They're good. Make those)
3. Chile verde
4. Marinate in something, roast or braise.

These all sound great but I've only ever done #3 so if you have favorite recipes then lay em on me!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYoduN0kWs

Here's what looks to be a good recipe for those Cubanos sandwiches.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

C-Euro posted:

Please do because I also need an excuse to re-stock my beer supply :v:

Ranter posted:

Disclaimer: this is probably not authentic but it's really drat close. The pork shoulder is roasted at a low temp of around 275 so for a 4lb piece it's taking about 3.5 - 4hours. The main spices/ingredients I'm putting in here are:

Fennel seeds
Cloves (barely any, like 4 cloves it's really strong)
Garlic
Onion
Carrot
Celery
German dark wheat beer (dunkel weiss or dunkelweizen)

So you've scored the top of the roast and showered it in salt. Feel free to make a spice rub with powdered onion and garlic and pepper then apply that to the sides of the pork roast. Chop up the veggies into big chunks. Litter them around the roasting tray but leave a little room in the middle where the pork goes. Chuck in the fennel and cloves. Pour in the beer. Throw it in the oven. It's such a low temp that you probably won't evaporate all the beer but if it's getting too close for comfort just pour in a little water or stock.

Once the meat is done just drain the juice and mix up a roux and create the gravy just like any other roast gravy.

I'm blasting the top of the pork under the broiler to get the crackling and by god is it good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

hogmartin posted:

I don't know if/how it deviates from the authentic recipe, but this one turned out pretty well:
http://www.maureenabood.com/2012/09/20/roasted-red-pepper-walnut-dip-muhammara/

Yeah this one turned out real well. I started with just a single tablespoon of olive oil but that seemed to be plenty enough. Very mild though, I've had some before that were quite spicy before, so I'm debating what to add to it for when I want a bit more kick.

There's also another spread I had that I can't place the name of though, it was mostly Feta and Jalapenos IIRC, maybe greek yogurt as well? I was a big fan but I'm not having any luck finding it or a recipe anything like that.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's also another spread I had that I can't place the name of though, it was mostly Feta and Jalapenos IIRC, maybe greek yogurt as well? I was a big fan but I'm not having any luck finding it or a recipe anything like that.

kopanisti?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Thread favorite Paella recipe?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Weber grills: Refinished old genesis series from the 90s with rebuilt/replaced stainless internals or newer basic Spirit 2-burner?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Charcoal if you can

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'd prefer the ease of LP though. I have a tiny Weber charcoal grill already.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

C-Euro posted:

Pork adobo!

I just made a big batch last night; it's the easiest. Essentially the same thing as pulled pork or carnitas but with a bit of asian flair due to the heavy dose of vinegar and soy sauce.

I basically just cube the pork, brown the pieces, then toss all that in to my pressure cooker with a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, garlic, whole black pepper, and bay leaves. I don't even measure anything, just toss in roughly equal amounts of the 3 liquids (maybe 1/2 cup each with a 4lb pork butt) and spice it up with however I'm feeling at the moment. I ate it over rice for dinner last night and saved a shitload of meat for use in leftover burritos/sandwiches at work the next few days.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYoduN0kWs

Here's what looks to be a good recipe for those Cubanos sandwiches.

That's a good recipe , and far better than what most people outside of Florida usually make. I'd emphasize that the ham needs to be good quality and doesn't need to be grilled like he does it. Also, if you make it on challah bread, it's called a medinoche and IMO tastier.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need advice on spicing up a fish and rice meal. Here in Key West, I have access to very fresh (as in, it was still alive this morning) seafood, but I'm not very good at cooking it. This is my go-to meal plan:

-Mahi-mahi fillets, soaked in coconut milk and key lime juice. Sauteed two minutes a side.
-Coconut rice, with the fish marinade (coconut milk, key lime juice, fish essence) in place of the water.
-Fried ripe plantains
-Mango mixed with red onions and cilantro, served either diced as a salsa, or sliced as a side dish.
-Key lime pie and copious amounts of rum to finish it all off.

Though I'm really good with the pie and the salsa, I feel I could do better with the fish and the rice.
Fish: The only kind of fish I really like are mahi and grouper. Any tips on cooking those two?
Rice: My version of "coconut rice" is just to substitute half the water for coconut milk. Any way to improve that? Note that I'm looking for savory dinner dish, not a sweet dessert.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have to dice a lot of stuff for my meal preps (mainly a few onions and peppers for some lettuce wraps and baked chicken and rice). Can I chop them up with a food processor?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

Pork adobo!

I just made a big batch last night; it's the easiest. Essentially the same thing as pulled pork or carnitas but with a bit of asian flair due to the heavy dose of vinegar and soy sauce.

I basically just cube the pork, brown the pieces, then toss all that in to my pressure cooker with a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, garlic, whole black pepper, and bay leaves. I don't even measure anything, just toss in roughly equal amounts of the 3 liquids (maybe 1/2 cup each with a 4lb pork butt) and spice it up with however I'm feeling at the moment. I ate it over rice for dinner last night and saved a shitload of meat for use in leftover burritos/sandwiches at work the next few days.

Think that would work in a slow cooker (too lazy to cut up the shoulder if I don't have to) or is the browning part essential? I usually do adobo with chicken and only a pound or two at most.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

I have to dice a lot of stuff for my meal preps (mainly a few onions and peppers for some lettuce wraps and baked chicken and rice). Can I chop them up with a food processor?

Of course. Unless you're making shitton of things though it may not be worth the cleanup time.

Chop things into 2 inch chunks, don't overfill - maybe add up to 2 cups worth of chunks. Start off with maybe three or four quarter-second pulses and adjust from there.

edit - you can use slicing disks in there to make things a little more even. The size difference between slices and chopped are not that big.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like to make a long cooked tomato sauce with a pork shoulder thrown into it. Trim the fat or it gets greasy as gently caress. Take it out when cooked, shred the meat, stick blend the tomato sauce, put the meat back in. I assume this is some sort of legitimate ragu somewhere and I didn't just make it up.

Pork adobo is also good.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

AnonSpore posted:

Okay, question about fresh pasta. When it cooks so quickly that it barely spends any time in boiling water before it's done, how do you manage to get it so that it doesn't overcook while you finish it in sauce?

I was waiting for someone more experienced to answer this, my take on it would be to have the sauce finishing up as your water comes on the boil. Get the pasta al dente, drain, and immediately add it to the sauce. Once the pasta is in, take the sauce off the heat source. Let the pasta in the sauce stand for a minute or two, stirring it once or twice, and then serve.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Could you also dip it in the hot water and then dip it into cold water when you want it to stop cooking? And then add it to the hot sauce whenever?

I don't cook pasta I just eat it, so maybe that's not a thing to do.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

Thread favorite Paella recipe?

:siren: This is not a proper Paella recipe! :siren:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/chicken-chorizo-paella/

There was a big fuss on Twitter a while back with Spanish people complaining about why this specific recipe is wrong, including use of Chorizo, Bell Pepper and a wrong cooking method. The end result is pretty close to Paella however, and it tastes really good :shobon:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gerblyn posted:

:siren: This is not a proper Paella recipe! :siren:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/chicken-chorizo-paella/

There was a big fuss on Twitter a while back with Spanish people complaining about why this specific recipe is wrong, including use of Chorizo, Bell Pepper and a wrong cooking method. The end result is pretty close to Paella however, and it tastes really good :shobon:

Paella is whatever you want it to be. I just use the recipe that came with my La Tienda Paella Pan (pan pan)

1. Cook some meat. sausage or chicken thighs in the pan with some oil. Remove.
2. make the sofrito. dice onion, bell pepper, tomato, smash some garlic, fry it in some olive oil and that chicken bits left in the pan. add salt and pepper.
3. throw the meat back in. add 1 cup bomba rice. add about...3 cups of stock, get it up to a simmer with a big pinch of saffron in it while you're cooking the meat and vegetables
4. bring it to a boil then turn it down to medium. don't touch the rice. this isn't a risotto.
5. after 10 minutes add some peas and maybe some other vegetables. don't touch the rice.
6. add some shrimp this point if you want. clams are also traditional.
7. it should be very close to done after another 5 minutes. lower the pan on to the coals (you should be doing this over a grill, the smoke rolling into the pan gives it a great taste) and 'toast' the bottom layer of rice, creating the soccarat
8. garnish with scallions or something, maybe lemon, maybe olive oil

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah this one turned out real well. I started with just a single tablespoon of olive oil but that seemed to be plenty enough. Very mild though, I've had some before that were quite spicy before, so I'm debating what to add to it for when I want a bit more kick.

Glad to hear it turned out well! I haven't had one of her recipes go wrong. The author is Lebanese-American, so presumably she knows what she's doing, but a lot of these dishes are served from Iran to Armenia to almost the horn of Africa, so who knows if the regional version she adapted from her grandmother's just happens to be mild or something, or if she toned it down for a wider audience.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Do you guys have preferred recipe sites. a lot of the ones i find just by google are kind of overwhelming and have a lot to sift through.

I really like budget bytes but ive done quite a few of her recipes and need more, any suggestions?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

woks of life
host the toast

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Do you guys have preferred recipe sites. a lot of the ones i find just by google are kind of overwhelming and have a lot to sift through.

I really like budget bytes but ive done quite a few of her recipes and need more, any suggestions?

It totally depends on what you're looking for. Maangchi and Cooking With Dog for Korean and Japanese (and Japanese-influenced Chinese), Maureen Abood for Middle Eastern/Mediterranean. Epicurious has a lot of recipes from cooking magazines going back decades, so it can be a little overwhelming, but there are some really good ones in there and the user ratings and feedback help. Their weekly top ten email is nice too; some of the stuff is clickbaity, but there are also a lot of good recipes and tips.

Are you looking for any particular type of cuisine, or just a good place to find general recipes?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lately the first place I check is Serious Eats, then google from there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i gave up on budget bytes a while back, but i still like SE, smitten kitchen and chef john from food wishes is funny to watch on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?PailinsKitchen on youtube is good for thai food

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BraveUlysses posted:

i gave up on budget bytes a while back, but i still like SE, smitten kitchen and chef john from food wishes is funny to watch on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?PailinsKitchen on youtube is good for thai food

I didn't care for Chef John at first, but now I can't stop watching his videos. He's great!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Paella is whatever you want it to be. I just use the recipe that came with my La Tienda Paella Pan (pan pan)

1. Cook some meat. sausage or chicken thighs in the pan with some oil. Remove.
2. make the sofrito. dice onion, bell pepper, tomato, smash some garlic, fry it in some olive oil and that chicken bits left in the pan. add salt and pepper.
3. throw the meat back in. add 1 cup bomba rice. add about...3 cups of stock, get it up to a simmer with a big pinch of saffron in it while you're cooking the meat and vegetables
4. bring it to a boil then turn it down to medium. don't touch the rice. this isn't a risotto.
5. after 10 minutes add some peas and maybe some other vegetables. don't touch the rice.
6. add some shrimp this point if you want. clams are also traditional.
7. it should be very close to done after another 5 minutes. lower the pan on to the coals (you should be doing this over a grill, the smoke rolling into the pan gives it a great taste) and 'toast' the bottom layer of rice, creating the soccarat
8. garnish with scallions or something, maybe lemon, maybe olive oil

I might try this this weekend, thanks!

A couple of questions though:

- Should I cover the pan at step 4?
- I read somewhere that a Paella has a layer of half burnt meat at the bottom that you're not supposed to eat. I'm guessing from your description though that the Soccarat is meant to be eaten?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I really like the jas. townsend and sons videos on YouTube. Colonial era American cooking and it's tasty as hell

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I really like the jas. townsend and sons videos on YouTube. Colonial era American cooking and it's tasty as hell

Seconded. He's just so invested and into doing stuff the authentic way and teaching people all this stuff he thinks is so neat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DumbparameciuM posted:

I was waiting for someone more experienced to answer this, my take on it would be to have the sauce finishing up as your water comes on the boil. Get the pasta al dente, drain, and immediately add it to the sauce. Once the pasta is in, take the sauce off the heat source. Let the pasta in the sauce stand for a minute or two, stirring it once or twice, and then serve.

If it's al dente when it goes into the sauce it'll be overcooked soon after, won't it?

Drifter posted:

Could you also dip it in the hot water and then dip it into cold water when you want it to stop cooking? And then add it to the hot sauce whenever?

I don't cook pasta I just eat it, so maybe that's not a thing to do.

I really can't find any info on how this is supposed to go, honestly. I'm leaning toward basically blanching the pasta to get the flour off and then cooking completely in the sauce, and hope the sauce binds without having starchy pasta water.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've watched quite a few of their videos and most of them are cool because he gives great historical context for everything he discusses. I'm fascinated with the ancient or historical origins of modern dishes and ingredients and since he has such a narrow focus on a specific place and time in history he can really delve deep. It would be cool to find similar channels for other eras in history and different places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually make soups in advance since they always taste better (does anyone know why that is, by the way?) and I'm making pappa al pomodoro. Has anyone tried making this in advance? I'm wondering if all the bread will make the texture go weird when reheated.