Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't romance her.

I think if you just outright shut her down you must end up getting more conversations about god. Because yeah it only ever came up in Emails or after specific events if you indulge her.

And I never romanced Suvi at all. didn't even select the first heart object that's always on her dialog wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think the point he was trying to make is that when it gets brought up you have a very "Yes I believe too" "No I'm a smug atheist" type of response, which they found unsatisfying as possible responses to that prompt.

Not a raw count on the number of times the conversation happens or whatever.

Yeah, but he's not the only one to talk about it like it's all there is to Suvi's character when it only crops up a couple of times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

Odd. In my playthrough, Suvi brought up God only twice, out of eight or so conversations.

I haven't seen a single new conversation with her since the awkward flirt thing where Kallo wants to die so I had a one night stand with Peebee.

The Tempest is basically a dorm.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't seen a single new conversation with her since the awkward flirt thing where Kallo wants to die so I had a one night stand with Peebee.

The Tempest is basically a dorm.

Suvi has one new conversation per main plot mission.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't romance her.

I think all we ever talked about was god and then we exhausted everything but the "oh it's so wonderful the stars and so on" and then she quit my team at the end which was fine.

wait she can leave your team?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, but he's not the only one to talk about it like it's all there is to Suvi's character when it only crops up a couple of times.

I think, what people are remarking on is being forced into a "Do you believe in god Yes or No" moment in a videogame about exploring a new galaxy. I am not sure the most salient point is "YES BUT THE DEPTH OF SUVI'S CHARACTER GOES BEYOND HER FAITH."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I guess she was had a line like "oh Exaltation is so bad" or "wow Meridian is so good" just like everybody had after every major mission. It got very boring.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It kinda was all there was to Suvi's character though. She never really seemed to have much to say.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I don't know if Sarah's responses are different but Scott saying he didn't believe in God didn't strike me as particularly smug.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

Suvi has one new conversation per main plot mission.

I wonder if it bugged out for me then, she hasn't in the last twenty hours and I've done plenty of plot missions.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wiseblood posted:

You fight fiends instead.

So there's 2 enemies unique the to story? That's pretty tight, I was kinda let down I found what I thought was all the enemies in multiplayer before getting to them in the single player.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenzarin posted:

So there's 2 enemies unique the to story? That's pretty tight, I was kinda let down I found what I thought was all the enemies in multiplayer before getting to them in the single player.

Fiends are in multiplayer. Behemoths and architects are the only enemies exclusive to single player.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

Fiends are in multiplayer. Behemoths and architects are the only enemies exclusive to single player.

Oh those are just the dogs, thought they were a new bad guy. shucks. Why do salarians get turned into dogs?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenzarin posted:

Oh those are just the dogs, thought they were a new bad guy. shucks. Why do salarians get turned into dogs?

They don't. Fiends are the giant monster things with sync kills, and they're made from a big nasty Heleus critter you can see in the wild. Behemoths are the only exalted Milky Way race in Andromeda.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Aren't fiends just wandering around on planets?

I was wondering what a fiend was doing on a meridian control tower.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Carebearz posted:

I can't decide between Peebee or Vetra for a romance option. I was gonna go with Cora because human purity but gently caress that "Not Asari" bitch:

I went with Cora. She seemed like she was pretty close of being a good character, if she would've been a bit more sarcastic or jaded, especially after what happens in her loyalty mission. It almost seemed at times like she had some chemistry with Scott, but all in all remained a bit bland. The WBOK scene was pretty nice, though.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

TeaJay posted:

I went with Cora. She seemed like she was pretty close of being a good character, if she would've been a bit more sarcastic or jaded, especially after what happens in her loyalty mission. It almost seemed at times like she had some chemistry with Scott, but all in all remained a bit bland. The WBOK scene was pretty nice, though.

Cora in a nutshell:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I love Drack, but it seems like just about every time I've got a good bead with my sniper rifle, his fat rear end runs right in front of me when I take the shot

Well, you're taking too long. :ms:

Also, I think I know why I didn't lose my poo poo about the ME3 ending. It's because the giant space baby skeleton is just so stupid, nothing can possibly be more stupid and all other fuckups pale in comparison.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm watching the Freelance Astronauts' LP of ME1. I had no idea that biotic persecution has ben a thing from the start. You can meet this cult gathered together by an NPC who is trying to protect his biotic brethren from the rest of the world.

It makes sense Cora would like the asari a lot. They don't hate you for being born with awesome psychic powers. (Well, unless you're an Ardat-Yakshi but whtev)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 1, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cythereal posted:

If you flirt with her as a woman, she says a bunch of asari hit on her during her time with them but she just doesn't swing that way.
I read "I had my fun on shore leave. Nothing serious, though. Asari huntresses… figure things out, but I was there for soldiering not romance" very differently.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm watching the Freelance Astronauts' LP of ME1. I had no idea that biotic persecution has ben a thing from the start. You can meet this cult gathered together by an NPC who is trying to protect his biotic brethren from the rest of the world.

It makes sense Cora would like the asari a lot. They don't hate you for being born with awesome psychic powers. (Well, unless you're an Ardat-Yakshi but whtev)

I like how Jack's such a big deal while Cora and Sarissa can make gigantic capital ship shields if they want to. Jack can make a three-person shield.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how Jack's such a big deal while Cora here can make gigantic capital ship shields if she really wants to while Jack can make a three-person shield.

Well that's different I guess. Jack had to potentially hold that shield up for several minutes. (depends on how quickly you deal with the enemies)

I found it a bit weird too, though. Cora mentions tearing apart APCs with her powers. Jack had to go through a lot of experiments to be able to gently caress up those mechs and stuff you see during her prison escape.

*shrugs* Just Mass Effect being inconsistent. Nothing new with that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NikkolasKing posted:

Well that's different I guess. Jack had to potentially hold that shield up fore several minutes. (depends on how quickly you deal with the enemies)

I found it a bit weird too, though. Cora mentions tearing apart APCs with her powers. Jack had to go through a lot of experiments to be able to gently caress up those mechs and stuff you see during her prison escape.

*shrugs* Just Mass Effect being inconsistent. Nothing new with that.

I edited it a bit but Sarissa can too. It didn't seem particularly hard for her at first, just that expanding it further required two people. It's Andromeda just being inconsistent and dumb like you said but it kind of seems like Shepard could have just searched Space Google for a random asari merc and called it a day. :v:

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

I was hoping that Cora was going to be a decent character since there were possible ties to The Illusive Man, but she ended up being Kaiden Alenko levels of YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWN.

loving Asari fangirl

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The whole squad was like Kaiden and Vega together.

Except Drack.

But I'll never forgive them for not giving us another Mordin.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I edited it a bit but Sarissa can too. It didn't seem particularly hard for her at first, just that expanding it further required two people. It's Andromeda just being inconsistent and dumb like you said but it kind of seems like Shepard could have just searched Space Google for a random asari merc and called it a day. :v:

I know it's easy to do but don't forget Samara was there. Justicars are supposed to be hot poo poo and I guess you could also have Morinth there as well and she's supposed to be super strong thanks to space psychic vaampirism.

See, ME2 did it right. It gave us a huge squad so that you're bound to come out likinga lot of characters. I didn't like Samara or Jacob or Tali or Kasumi but that still leaves Garrus, Miranda, Jack, Mordin, Legion, Thane, Grunt and Zaeed.

ME1, 3 and Andromeda all gave us these really small squads by comparison so if you don't like Liam or Cora, that's a pretty big hit to overall likability for your companions.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

a primate posted:

The whole squad was like Kaiden and Vega together.

Except Drack.

But I'll never forgive them for not giving us another Mordin.

except Jaal, Vetra, Drack and Peebs are great.

Also, Kallo is Mordin 100%

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

I know it's easy to do but don't forget Samara was there. Justicars are supposed to be hot poo poo and I guess you could also have Morinth there as well and she's supposed to be super strong thanks to space psychic vaampirism.

See, ME2 did it right. It gave us a huge squad so that you're bound to come out likinga lot of characters. I didn't like Samara or Jacob or Tali or Kasumi but that still leaves Garrus, Miranda, Jack, Mordin, Legion, Thane, Grunt and Zaeed.

ME1, 3 and Andromeda all gave us these really small squads by comparison so if you don't like Liam or Cora, that's a pretty big hit to overall likability for your companions.

You didn't like Samara, Jacob, Tali or Kasumi but you liked tired rear end Miranda?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good point, I guess they're just supposed to be Queen poo poo of Biotic Mountain and everyone else is just whatever.

quote:

I'd like Cora more if she'd shut the gently caress up about those asari manuals. Liam and Jaal are pretty boring so I mostly just rotate in and out Vetra, Peebee (who is way way better than I thought she was going to be), and Drack.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

RBA Starblade posted:

Good point, I guess they're just supposed to be Queen poo poo of Biotic Mountain and everyone else is just whatever.

I'd like Cora more if she'd shut the gently caress up about those asari manuals. Liam and Jaal are pretty boring so I mostly just rotate in and out Vetra, Peebee (who is way way better than I thought she was going to be), and Drack.

regardless of which twin you play, Peebs is BAE

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Carebearz posted:

You didn't like Samara, Jacob, Tali or Kasumi but you liked tired rear end Miranda?

She has a cool voice, she revived Shepard and I like her backstory. It's interesting - and horrifying - to think about being a literal clone of your abuser. Miranda acts all smug at first but you realize at the end she has zero self-esteem because of how she was made.

She's also clearly Renegade so her and my Shepard had a lot in common. Me, her and Zaeed against the world.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

She has a cool voice, she revived Shepard and I like her backstory. It's interesting - and horrifying - to think about being a literal clone of your abuser. Miranda acts all smug at first but you realize at the end she has zero self-esteem because of how she was made.

She's also clearly Renegade so her and my Shepard had a lot in common. Me, her and Zaeed against the world.

She didn't revive Shepard so much as she was part of the team that monitored everything I thought? Plus she also wanted TIM to put control triggers in you, gently caress her. loving daddy issues led to her being a meh as gently caress character.

My dream team was Me as an infiltrator, Tali, and SickNasty Grunt.

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 1, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought it was TIM wanted her to but she didn't and lied to him about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No it was Miranda who wanted a control chip put in Shepard and TIM who overrode her.

Then several months later it would be Shepard overriding Miranda in the engine room.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, in 3 she specifically apologizes to you about it. Says she wanted the chip but TIM said no since he wanted you back exactly the way you were.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nah, TIM was the one who vetoed her idea to put the control chip in your head. Miranda didn't like you at first (if that wasn't obvious) but TIM is a big ol' Shepard fanboy.

Miranda apologizes for it anyway. It was quite sweet.

edit:
beaten

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

It seems like all the "main" female "super edgy" characters were just boring. Ashley was meh, Miranda was meh, Jack was meh, Cora is meh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jack in ME2 was a sometimes embarassingly bad-written character elevated by her voice actress and arc into ME3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

I'm surprised no one talks about how the Kett are basically carbon copies of the reapers trying to turn all races into them.

I hate the loving trope(i guess its trope) so much. yeah it works sometimes, like with the borg and i thought it worked ok in the resistance games, alan wake and probaly others. but it always feels weak and lovely cop out. gears 4 did the same loving thing as did halo after 3. i hate the whole "the enemies soldiers/officers/whatever are mostly comprised of mutates/assimilated/whatever of your allies/friends/your species".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone notice that one of Drack's loyalty skill tree things lets him auto-revive himself every 60 seconds? I need to go do his loyalty mission so I can AFK behind cover and let him clear out the map for me.