Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Somewhere a few pages back, someone posted a trailer for an indie horror about a guy hiking into the woods alone, and now I can't find it. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i still haven't seen it. i saw Szamanka by the same director, which is definitely very weird but not that great. i'll have to tackle it eventually.

You should definitely watch it then immediately post your thoughts in the thread.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Which of these Possessed are you goons talking about?

Possessed (1931 film), a drama starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford
Possessed (1947 film), a film noir starring Joan Crawford
The Possessed (1977 film), a 1977 American horror film directed by Jerry Thorpe
Junoon (1978 film), aka Possessed, 1978 Indian epic
Possessed (1983 film), Hong Kong horror film
Possessed II, a 1984 Hong Kong horror film
The Possessed (1988 film), a 1988 French film
The Possessed (1992 film), a 1992 Russian film based on the Dostoyevsky novel
Possessed (1994 film) featuring Peter Yang
Possessed (2000 film), a TV-movie starring Timothy Dalton
Possessed (2006 film), Malaysian, horror film
The Possessed (2009 film) a 2009 American horror film based on a true story

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We're talking about Possession, so none of those.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yeah, we're talking Possession (1981) starring Sam Neill, who puts in a hell of a performance, and Isabelle Adjani, who somehow outdoes Sam Neill. It's real good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it's a silly question because we're clearly talking about

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

We're talking about Possession, so none of those.

Oh, that narrows it down:

Possession (1919 film), a 1919 British silent romance film
Possession (1981 film), a horror film starring Sam Neill, Isabelle Adjani and directed by Andrzej Zulawski
Possession (2002 film), adaptation of the A. S. Byatt novel of the same name starring Aaron Eckhart and Gwyneth Paltrow
Possession (2009 film), starring Sarah Michelle Gellar and Lee Pace
Possession (TV series), 1985 Australian series
The Possession (2012 film), a 2012 horror film starring Natasha Calis, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Matisyahu and Kyra Sedgwick

:v:

I'll check out the Sam Neil one though, thanks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Watched Don't Go In The House over the weekend, thought it was a lot of fun. Can anyone recommend some similar sleaze/exploitation horror movies like that one?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going with "a bad and unnecessary piece of production design". I know what they were going for with the production design in the film, but it wasn't needed thematically and that part in particular didn't work.

The clamshell ereader is a cheap, simple way to make it very difficult to pin the movie down to a specific time period, which was an important aspect of what the director was going for. If it were a Kindle or some other known type of ereader, it instantly dates the film. It needed to be an ereader instead of a regular book though because the design of the rest of the film is very 80's, so the presence of an ereader makes it impossible to peg it as having taken place in the 80s.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Somewhere a few pages back, someone posted a trailer for an indie horror about a guy hiking into the woods alone, and now I can't find it. Any help?

The Interior?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHs0p4eL2c

Guys Prince of Darkness was so good, and a nice double-bill with Halloween 3.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Racist motherfuckers, 1830-

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Basebf555 posted:

The clamshell ereader is a cheap, simple way to make it very difficult to pin the movie down to a specific time period, which was an important aspect of what the director was going for. If it were a Kindle or some other known type of ereader, it instantly dates the film. It needed to be an ereader instead of a regular book though because the design of the rest of the film is very 80's, so the presence of an ereader makes it impossible to peg it as having taken place in the 80s.

I thought clam shells had some kindof oracle connotation too. Not sure, tho.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Didn't the cellphone convey that though? Stuff like that always comes across more like a production error than deliberate ambiguity.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm curious how that could be a production error

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

David Robert Mitchell definitely said at the screening that he designed a cellphone so deliberately unlike anything we have or probably would ever have to give the film a timeless quality instead of having a years-old Nokia in there or something. He didn't mention anything about subtext but I find the birth control pill idea kind of intriguing, whether or not it was intentional.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Dostoevsky is definitely affective as birth control.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

morestuff posted:

I'm curious how that could be a production error

"Haha those idiots thought we had cellphones back then." Whoops.

Almost any period piece involving technology risks loving up what existed when. Or go ask TFR about any movie with a gun about how it was depicted incorrectly. It's almost always a mistake, rather than a deliberate attempt to blur the film's context.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Almost any period piece involving technology risks loving up what existed when. Or go ask TFR about any movie with a gun about how it was depicted incorrectly. It's almost always a mistake, rather than a deliberate attempt to blur the film's context.

It Follows isn't a period piece, that's the whole point. There's stuff in the movie that is contradictory for that specific reason, so that the movie can't definitively be said to take place during a specific time. The scenery in and around Detroit plays into this, and the themes of the movie play into it as well.

I'm sure we're reading too much into the movie though, its not like the director has specifically stated any of this on the blu ray commentary...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but A) there's no specific "back then" in the film to screw up, and B) those are usually errors attributable to it being the distant past and it's easier to lose track of when certain things were invented/in common use.

(Also C) it was often "oh crap you can see one of the Roman soldiers has a wristwatch" "eh, he's in the background, we can't afford to shoot this again.")

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a pretty obvious deliberate mish-mash of anachronism. Watching It Follows and complaining it doesn't make perfect logical sense is like doing the same thing to Eraserhead. It's not meant to be realistic.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 2, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Whenever a movie like Inception or It Follows is clearly trying really hard to not date itself u just know...it's gonna come off as really dated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have not found that to be the case...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Whenever a movie like Inception or It Follows is clearly trying really hard to not date itself u just know...it's gonna come off as really dated.

I totally disagree. It Follows achieves the timeless quality it aims for, in my opinion. Nothing in it is so "old fashioned" that you start thinking it could be the 1930s, but it could be set at any time between the 80s and now, and I'd wager unless floating cars get invented any time soon, it'll keep feeling that way for a good while.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only funny part of Napoleon Dynamite was when someone asked the director what time period the movie was set in and he replied "Idaho".

The same can be said of It Follows and Detroit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone seen Circle? My friend was talking it up but a lot of bottle movies like that have been a whole lot of scenes of people screaming at each other forever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

moths posted:

Naaah. A prop gun is a prop gun. The fact that a particular prop gun looks like a Remington 870 doesn't mean that we have to accept that it's an in-diegesis Remington 870 any more than we have to accept that the fact that an guy is clearly Clint Eastwood means we have to accept that in-diegesis he has to be Clint Eastwood.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Are we still talking about this? The e-reader is a "fictional" device that was created with special effects. It's not like they accidentally put it in the movie.

It's also worth mentioning that a huge number of westerns actually do take place in the generic wild west rather than a specific historical setting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's like Mad Max. When does it take place? Sometime in the past or in the future. It's suppose to be "timeless".

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
What are everyone's thoughts on Taxidermia? It thought it was an interesting watch. After reading up on it I missed a lot of metaphor, which is understandable as I know nothing about Hungary.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I just read the wikipedia summary of Possession and now I'm extremely mad at myself because holy moly

I'll still try to watch it though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reading wikipedia summaries before watching films is for losers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

That's the one, thanks. :hfive:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

weekly font posted:

Anyone seen Circle? My friend was talking it up but a lot of bottle movies like that have been a whole lot of scenes of people screaming at each other forever.

The 2015 movie? It's not bad, although it can be a little mentally draining because you have to keep track of everything being said and the dynamics of the cast throughout the whole movie. Ultimately I thought it was alright, not particularly great but a decent budget film.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Lurdiak posted:

Reading wikipedia summaries before watching films is for losers.

Agreed. I know nothing about Possession except what has been posted in this thread so I'm gonna watch it blind next week.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

That's the one, thanks. :hfive:

It's real good! I hope it gets some kind of release down your way. It does the Willow Creek tent gag way better than Willow Creek did.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SubG posted:

Naaah. A prop gun is a prop gun. The fact that a particular prop gun looks like a Remington 870 doesn't mean that we have to accept that it's an in-diegesis Remington 870 any more than we have to accept that the fact that an guy is clearly Clint Eastwood means we have to accept that in-diegesis he has to be Clint Eastwood.

Snak posted:

Are we still talking about this? The e-reader is a "fictional" device that was created with special effects. It's not like they accidentally put it in the movie.

It's also worth mentioning that a huge number of westerns actually do take place in the generic wild west rather than a specific historical setting.

High Plains Drifter is obviously filmed at Lake Mono, which isn't in the High Plains! The High Plains aren't even a region where endorheic basins are common! Are we to believe this is some sort of magic xylophone lake?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is there anyway to do a lets watch Possession?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are we supposed to believe a child with as many health issues as the baby in Eraserhead would released from the hospital so soon?

Furthermore erasers are note made from heads and ladies very seldom live inside radiators and nothing is fine in heaven because it doesn't exist.

Hollismason posted:

It's like Mad Max. When does it take place? Sometime in the past or in the future. It's suppose to be "timeless".

The original Mad Max takes place during the 1973 oil crisis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Is there anyway to do a lets watch Possession?

You mean some kinda group stream where all the NOOBS in this tread who haven't seen it yet watch it together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

You mean some kinda group stream where all the NOOBS in this tread who haven't seen it yet watch it together?

I'd have want to do that just to silently sit and listen to all the blind reactions.