Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

fletcher posted:

I want to get my sister a new monitor for her birthday. She's got an M1 Mac she would be using with it and works as a professional photographer. I'm thinking something around 30-32" would suit her needs. Any recommendations?

Ask in the Dorkroom if an actual digital photog doesn't weigh in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Velius posted:

I’m going to be building a new PC and upgrading my monitor setup for teleworking 3 days a week. I just ordered a 3080 which will be my first true high end video card. My work computer is a piece of junk Dell 7389 ultrabook with an intel HD Graphics 620. If I get a fancy 4K gaming monitor is it just going to be pure suffering trying to use it as an external monitor for the laptop? In theory I can port over a lot of the work to my home computer but only the stuff that doesn’t require vpn and remote connections to internal resources. Essentially I’m trying to figure out if I should go with a two monitor setup with a nice 4k ultra wide and less nice “work” monitor, or dual 27” or 32” nice monitors, and hope that the work PC is usable. I’m near a micro center so I thought I’d bring my work pc and see how it does to test things. I haven’t tried to get anything fancy in monitors ever, really, so any input is nice.

Look up the external display specs for your work laptop, I've ran into the problem where my work laptop can't actually drive my two high resolution screens at acceptable refresh rates so I just use one.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm from the dorkroom, most of us would say that 95% of professional photographers couldn't tell you what color space they work in anyways and neither can their clients. You need to calibrate pretty much every monitor anyways so the general productivity recommendation is to identify color space needs and get a 60hz 4k or 1440p IPS monitor with good contrast and appropriate color space coverage. Dell monitors can be a great place to look.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 10, 2022

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Look up the external display specs for your work laptop, I've ran into the problem where my work laptop can't actually drive my two high resolution screens at acceptable refresh rates so I just use one.

I'm from the dorkroom, most of us would say that 95% of professional photographers couldn't tell you what color space they work in anyways and neither can their clients. You need to calibrate pretty much every monitor anyways so the general productivity recommendation is to identify color space needs and get a 60hz 4k or 1440p IPS monitor with good contrast and appropriate color space coverage. Dell monitors can be a great place to look.

yeah, most of the photogs I know use whatever they have and just calibrate it but its been like 8 years. the camera store we worked at just had iMacs everywhere except the pro studio sales guy who somehow convinced the owners to buy him an Eizo that he used to check his email.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks! I’m thinking I’ll sneak to micro center tomorrow at lunch with my laptop and try the hdmi port and see how it does on a 4k monitor before pulling the trigger.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Velius posted:

I’m going to be building a new PC and upgrading my monitor setup for teleworking 3 days a week. I just ordered a 3080 which will be my first true high end video card. My work computer is a piece of junk Dell 7389 ultrabook with an intel HD Graphics 620. If I get a fancy 4K gaming monitor is it just going to be pure suffering trying to use it as an external monitor for the laptop? In theory I can port over a lot of the work to my home computer but only the stuff that doesn’t require vpn and remote connections to internal resources. Essentially I’m trying to figure out if I should go with a two monitor setup with a nice 4k ultra wide and less nice “work” monitor, or dual 27” or 32” nice monitors, and hope that the work PC is usable. I’m near a micro center so I thought I’d bring my work pc and see how it does to test things. I haven’t tried to get anything fancy in monitors ever, really, so any input is nice.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057629/graphics/graphics-for-8th-generation-intel-processors.html

There’s all sorts of jank with laptops. So long as it’s got new enough HDMI /DP outputs you’ll be okay. That can be a big if though if your work bought budget tier equipment.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Velius posted:

Thanks! I’m thinking I’ll sneak to micro center tomorrow at lunch with my laptop and try the hdmi port and see how it does on a 4k monitor before pulling the trigger.

tehinternet posted:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057629/graphics/graphics-for-8th-generation-intel-processors.html

There’s all sorts of jank with laptops. So long as it’s got new enough HDMI /DP outputs you’ll be okay. That can be a big if though if your work bought budget tier equipment.

At least for my Lenovo laptop from work, there are whole tables on their website with the model of laptop and various approved configurations of resolution/refresh rate that it will support. I've found I can do some weird order of operation stuff to get more monitors working than it should be able to run, but this pegs the laptop fan at 100% and it's obnoxious.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

VelociBacon posted:

At least for my Lenovo laptop from work, there are whole tables on their website with the model of laptop and various approved configurations of resolution/refresh rate that it will support. I've found I can do some weird order of operation stuff to get more monitors working than it should be able to run, but this pegs the laptop fan at 100% and it's obnoxious.

That tracks 100%

Doubly so if you’re using Lenovo’s USB-C gen 2 docks. What a pile of poo poo that is.

Their Ultra docks were the only ones that weren’t hot trash IMO

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
To those who got their Alienware OLED monitor delivered: check your warranty status online. Mine and a friend's came in and they show as having none. I've gotten the runaround from support for 2 days now and they say they're "working on it". Better try to resolve it now than when you actually need to use the warranty.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Anyone have any thoughts on an LG Ergo vs a Gigabyte M32U for general productivity on an M1 MacBook and some light gaming on an Xbox Series S? How much would I appreciate the higher refresh rate on the Gigabyte when I’m using my MacBook? The LG is cheaper, and that stand looks great…

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

frogbs posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on an LG Ergo vs a Gigabyte M32U for general productivity on an M1 MacBook and some light gaming on an Xbox Series S? How much would I appreciate the higher refresh rate on the Gigabyte when I’m using my MacBook? The LG is cheaper, and that stand looks great…

If you don't deserately want the 144hz for gaming just avoid the m32u. People will tell you it's life changing to have a higher refresh rate for just normal non-gaming stuff but all it will do is ruin your experience of 60hz monitors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What’s the deal with thunderbolt docks and sleep issues? With a good dock like a CalDigit TS4, are the people seeing sleep issues just seeing another manifestation of EUP Deep Sleep freeze issues? Maybe it’s more common there because thunderbolt obviously would go to sleep when it’s disconnected, which people do all the time?

It also seems like hotplug stands a small chance of causing a system crash… I used to see that on my Dell dock for my last job. Is that at all related to the dock, or just OS crashes and it would happen at the same rate for every dock? I see some complaints there too but it’s hard to tell if it’s just thunderbolt in general or dock-specific.

Actually I guess it’s possible that maybe hotplug crashes are related to whether the dock puts the monitor to sleep or not? I never had anything else plugged into that dock except maybe Ethernet.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

If you don't deserately want the 144hz for gaming just avoid the m32u. People will tell you it's life changing to have a higher refresh rate for just normal non-gaming stuff but all it will do is ruin your experience of 60hz monitors.

*looks at two M32Us that were bought because
mouse movement was smoother on my main display*

Ha ha That’s not right at all ha ha

*avoids eye contact*

I will say that 4K for productivity makes everything so clean. Makes screen sharing with 1080p people difficult though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tehinternet posted:

*looks at two M32Us that were bought because
mouse movement was smoother on my main display*

Ha ha That’s not right at all ha ha

*avoids eye contact*

I will say that 4K for productivity makes everything so clean. Makes screen sharing with 1080p people difficult though.

Do you really notice this anymore or has it just become the new normal, feeling exactly like your 60hz screens did before you tried high refresh rates? I go back and forth between 144hz and 60fps throughout my work day and I honestly don't notice it the 60hz unless I stop to think about it. I spend a majority of my life in front of these (loving) screens and tech/games and I notice this stuff immediately (like most people) if a game starts running at 60hz, but for productivity stuff... eh.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think it depends a lot on what you look at. If your eyes track things that are moving, there's no way you can miss higher refresh rates. If you keep your eyes locked center screen and move your cursor almost entirely by muscle memory, it'll be less noticeable.

Triple Twelve
Dec 12, 2012
I just got a new monitor (MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD 27") and there is a blackspot on the lower right corner. It look different than a dead pixels (I got a dead pixel on the top right) but I'm not sure.

I tried https://www.jscreenfix.com/ and it doesn't seem to change anything.

I made a couple of (bad) video trying to show the problem :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdWRZrke-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lD-7eHeZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8d13Gj7ftA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-cja4r6z54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap04AFQoBcY

Would anyone have suggestions for me ? I'm at the point of trying to massage / put pressure on the spot but it worries me a bit.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow. I was expecting some bad backlighting, but that is something else. Looks like damage to one of the top layers. I don't think that is fixable as an end-user.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Return it. This is why you only buy monitors from places with good return policies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my wife's company sent her a Dell monitor for her to use as part of a work-from-home set-up - it's a Dell 1440p ultrawide with built-in speakers

now that everything's OPEN ER UP-ing and they're coming back to the office, the company is taking it back, but she's still going to be working from home for at least half the week so she wants to buy her own monitor as a replacement

she says it doesn't need to be as large as what she's using now - my own computer uses a 27-inch 1080p screen and she says she wants something a little larger than that, so an in-between size would be either a 1440p not-ultrawide, or a 1080p that's just larger, like 30-inches

but she does like the built-in speakers

are there any keywords or "types" of monitors that I can use as a keyword for shopping around for something like that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

27" 1440p is probably the sweet spot of where you want to be looking, but the built-in speakers will be god awful. A Bluetooth speaker that’s plugged in will be better, but for a pricey solution, you could get a Dell with a matching sound bar to attach.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 13, 2022

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

gradenko_2000 posted:

my wife's company sent her a Dell monitor for her to use as part of a work-from-home set-up - it's a Dell 1440p ultrawide with built-in speakers

now that everything's OPEN ER UP-ing and they're coming back to the office, the company is taking it back, but she's still going to be working from home for at least half the week so she wants to buy her own monitor as a replacement

she says it doesn't need to be as large as what she's using now - my own computer uses a 27-inch 1080p screen and she says she wants something a little larger than that, so an in-between size would be either a 1440p not-ultrawide, or a 1080p that's just larger, like 30-inches

but she does like the built-in speakers

are there any keywords or "types" of monitors that I can use as a keyword for shopping around for something like that?

M32Q has speakers built in. Went with something else but the thread liked it earlier.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

K8.0 posted:

I think it depends a lot on what you look at. If your eyes track things that are moving, there's no way you can miss higher refresh rates. If you keep your eyes locked center screen and move your cursor almost entirely by muscle memory, it'll be less noticeable.

Yeah, this basically.

I notice it because I’m a child and have fond memories of Monkey Island on some early DOS computer with what had to be a 13-15” monitor my mom had…

So having 98” of monitors where the cursor moves like butter will forever be catnip for me, I literally giggle when I think about it sometimes.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I bought a Gigabyte M27Q but someone suggested the LG 27GN800-B might be a good option and elsewhere people talk about the color reproduction so I decided to order that as well to compare them. I've got them both setup side by side and the LG is noticeably more washed out than the M27Q. I made the rtings adjustments and tried using their ICC test profile (which made it worse) and fiddled around just to see what anything else did. Am I missing something or is that what is "accurate" and I just like the M27Q more?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I bought a Gigabyte M27Q but someone suggested the LG 27GN800-B might be a good option and elsewhere people talk about the color reproduction so I decided to order that as well to compare them. I've got them both setup side by side and the LG is noticeably more washed out than the M27Q. I made the rtings adjustments and tried using their ICC test profile (which made it worse) and fiddled around just to see what anything else did. Am I missing something or is that what is "accurate" and I just like the M27Q more?

Did you try disabling HDR on the LG?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Or try disabling HDR in Windows if that's turned on.

Also, are you using the sRGB mode on the M27Q?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Also, this is on an M1 MBP, not Windows

I'm not sure why I didn't specify, but the LG is on the left.

frogbs posted:

Did you try disabling HDR on the LG?

HDR is off on both

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Or try disabling HDR in Windows if that's turned on.

Also, are you using the sRGB mode on the M27Q?

I am using Custom 1 with some of the tweaks from RTings.com

edit: after more testing, it looks like the Anker HDMI to USB C adapter I'm using might for some reason cause that when the LG is connected? If I swap which monitor gets plugged into the HDMI port of the MBP and which gets plugged into the dongle, the LG looks fine. Why would that be? The M27Q doesn't seem to care which it is plugged into but the LG does?

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 14, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Thanks for the suggestion! I posted a thread over there and started a google sheet with some research.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This is probably a really stupid loving question but I am at my goddamn wits end right now. I purchased a curved monitor for the first time (specifically it's an AOC CU24G2X). I have it mounted on a monitor arm and no matter what I do I cannot get the mother fucker to look level to me. I have a level and I will put it in the middle and adjuster it until it's flat but one side always looks higher than the other. When I put the level on either of the far ends of it is never flat. To make sure my monitor is level should I just put the level in the middle or what the gently caress? It's driving me goddman nuts.

EDIT: After looking at my Monitor mount a little more, I realized it's crooked, so fixed that and now everything is fine. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 14, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well, looks like I am going to find out how dells replacement policy is, my AW2721D suddenly had a purple/pink vertical line appear and it doesn't seem to be end user fixable. (At least from my initial Google fu)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rakeris posted:

Well, looks like I am going to find out how dells replacement policy is, my AW2721D suddenly had a purple/pink vertical line appear and it doesn't seem to be end user fixable. (At least from my initial Google fu)

I had good luck with a monitor replacement from Dell for one of the small businesses I do work for. A ~7 month old 24" IPS died and it was within the warranty period so they had us send it in and sent a new one. They didn't cross ship but I didn't ask since we had a replacement for her to use at the time.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Also, this is on an M1 MBP, not Windows

I'm not sure why I didn't specify, but the LG is on the left.

HDR is off on both

I am using Custom 1 with some of the tweaks from RTings.com

edit: after more testing, it looks like the Anker HDMI to USB C adapter I'm using might for some reason cause that when the LG is connected? If I swap which monitor gets plugged into the HDMI port of the MBP and which gets plugged into the dongle, the LG looks fine. Why would that be? The M27Q doesn't seem to care which it is plugged into but the LG does?

It looks like the HDMI black levels aren't auto-detecting the correct setting.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

I was looking at getting an ultrawide monitor. What’s the consensus around the $500-800 range? I’ve been looking at the Gigabyte M34WQ but was wondering if there’s anything better.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Looks like a decent IPS. On the mid-higher end with ultrawides you mostly want to stay away from VA panels (they're horrible about smearing, I see it with my own two eyes every day) and I can't speak to that model specifically but I think a good chunk of Gigabytes are pretty good.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Looks like I'll be travelling for work semi-regularly. Are "portable" monitors worth a drat at all? Ideally, something that would fit into carry-on.

I've grown accustomed to dual 4k monitors for work (accounting/finance) so being able to have several SAP windows and a spreadsheet or two open at the same time - along with the option to have good visibility on extra-large spreadsheets or documents is huge.

It looks like 15.6" portable 4k monitors are pretty easy to find on Amazon. Would I even be able to read a drat thing on those? Anyone have any recommendations?

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Has anyone experienced a constant buzzing noise coming from their M32U? It's not loud but I find it quite annoying. I've tried two different monitors now and they both have this issue so I'm starting to think it's just the nature of this model? That being said, I'm surprised I can't find more people talking about this online if that's the case.

It's happening with both my PC and Macbook and I've tried every input type and using the included cables. I've also played with the monitor settings without any success. It gets considerably worse as you raise the refresh rate but even at 60hz I can hear it.

Any suggestions? Worth sending back and trying a third one? Otherwise, I really like the M32U, but this is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zarin posted:

Looks like I'll be travelling for work semi-regularly. Are "portable" monitors worth a drat at all? Ideally, something that would fit into carry-on.

I've grown accustomed to dual 4k monitors for work (accounting/finance) so being able to have several SAP windows and a spreadsheet or two open at the same time - along with the option to have good visibility on extra-large spreadsheets or documents is huge.

It looks like 15.6" portable 4k monitors are pretty easy to find on Amazon. Would I even be able to read a drat thing on those? Anyone have any recommendations?

4k is 2x HD so provides good doubling options, at least, if you have trouble reading text. i haven't had to travel since before the pandemic so i haven't tried any of the recentish ones that have popped up. but they're basically all the same, if you get it from amazon it'll have a return policy so i'd go for it

i expect it'll be fine to do what you need

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Keep an eye out for the stand/case the portable monitor comes with - many of them use a tablet style case that doubles as a stand and don’t work well in practice

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

shrike82 posted:

Keep an eye out for the stand/case the portable monitor comes with - many of them use a tablet style case that doubles as a stand and don’t work well in practice

That's what I was noticing. What would a "good" stand for this application look like?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=173546
Is this a good monitor? Anything wrong or bad about it? The shop near where im staying right now has a couple in stock and im thinking of grabbing one before I leave.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Zarin posted:

You ever traveled for work regularly? I love multiple monitors but uh, I would not want to lug around two 15in monitors through an airport all the time. Maybe give it a month or two and then decide if you want to buy?

If you have a mac + ipad there is a feature that allows you to use the ipad as a virtual monitor as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Zarin posted:

That's what I was noticing. What would a "good" stand for this application look like?

asus has some portables with kickstands i think
but your best bet might be to get a separate tablet stand