Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Flinging Ghalta seems like a feel good moment.

Someone last week was playing RW Vehicles and hit me with that loving 7/11 ship that costs 1. I was like what in theeeeeeeeee gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Are they maybe, possibly, in the dumbest wording possible, saying that the Buy-A-Box promo is unique art? Or have they confirmed that the card, in any incarnation, will only be available through the Buy-A-Box?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kurtofan posted:

I thought it was a climate thing, my foils never bent. (also the european card stock is better I think)

the solutions is to buy a box in italian

I bought a Pokémon box last Novemver that had a foil promo in it and the thing was bowed pretty badly. I live in bone dry, arid Wyoming, so it's not an issue of humidity.

For as skeavy as Force of Will is, the cards are really nice and I wish that was the norm for making cards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

why are foil only cards not legally playable in tournaments?

Foils on the new (US) cardstock curl so bad that they are extremely easy to identify even double sleeved. There was an issue a month or so ago where somebody got whacked for marked cards in a legacy tournament because he could not find unbent copies of Kess, who was a commander 2017 foil-only card.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Foils on the new (US) cardstock curl so bad that they are extremely easy to identify even double sleeved. There was an issue a month or so ago where somebody got whacked for marked cards in a legacy tournament because he could not find unbent copies of Kess, who was a commander 2017 foil-only card.

Is there any good way to fix this? I bought 4 foil goblin guides and i'm afraid I won't be able to use them in an actual competitive event

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I asked on the MTGA forums and an admin has confirmed they'll be available on release of MTGA. Probably redeemable via wildcards I would have thought.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

Are they maybe, possibly, in the dumbest wording possible, saying that the Buy-A-Box promo is unique art? Or have they confirmed that the card, in any incarnation, will only be available through the Buy-A-Box?

Its been confirmed by WOTC's most valuable employee, trick jarrett.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

stump collector posted:

Is there any good way to fix this? I bought 4 foil goblin guides and i'm afraid I won't be able to use them in an actual competitive event

Put them under something heavy for a long time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

Put them under something heavy for a long time.

I have tried this and other means to unwarp curled cards in the past and had little to no results, even after months of it.

Someone has mentioned heating up the cards on a towl by sitting them on a radiator first but I am not brave enough yet.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Huh. I could have sworn it helped with some of my curled foils. Though I guess they were really old foils (invasion, masques) if that makes a difference.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

I have tried this and other means to unwarp curled cards in the past and had little to no results, even after months of it.

Someone has mentioned heating up the cards on a towl by sitting them on a radiator first but I am not brave enough yet.

Get some perforated aluminum sheeting, flatten the cards under it, then go over the top with a clothes iron on max steam setting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

odiv posted:

Huh. I could have sworn it helped with some of my curled foils. Though I guess they were really old foils (invasion, masques) if that makes a difference.

it does, yeah, the card stock, at least in the us, is pretty crap now

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think that's a good idea

whydirt posted:

You don’t need most of those early core sets aside from Alpha since they’re all 100% reprints until M10 (or whichever set started adding original cards to core sets). That eliminates 10ish sets from your list.

LGD posted:

are we actually following the reserved list? that has a pretty big impact on what this hypothetical set would look like, and not just in terms of things like "they should reprint the original dual lands" (though they should!) - it means you could use a card like Autumn Willow as an uncommon

Along with anyone else who is interested: the thread for making a better M25 is up!

Please come make some suggestions. I only started at like Worldwake with some huge lapses since then, so I don't know what rings the right bells for more established players.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Paper has memory and does not easily uncurl.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You need to steam heat it without letting the water stick around long enough to cause damage, while flattening it. Like ironing clothes but with way more potential for property damage.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

How bad is the effect in general? If you double sleeve a slightly curled foil, is it playable?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I have a bunch of silica gel packets I got from Amazon, I stick them in my boxes. If some card bends, I simply carefully bend it the other way until it stops being a jerk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

How bad is the effect in general? If you double sleeve a slightly curled foil, is it playable?

The answer is: it depends. Any noticeable curl is going to cause the sleeve to sit slightly different. The slight different is something that a judge is going to shuffling your deck and decide how easy it is to cut to the foil. In my experience the bar is super loving low on deciding your foil marked depending on the judge.

Don't underestimate the hoops your opponents will go through at the top tabs with poo poo like this. Opponents will see foils and angle shoot the gently caress out of it if the judge is receptive. The funny thing is that this seems to work with better results the lower the table number. Guys like BBD and Brad Nelson have been outspoken on the fact that they refuse to play with foils for this very reason.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Use foils at your LGS if you feel the need. Anything with stakes just pull em out and use normal cards. It's just way safer.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

On the subject of foils that curl, I wonder how bad the Jacebook premium foils will curl, because I really want a couple of those Brainstorms.

And maybe the Counterspells.

Also the Jacebook is 20 MSRP? I'll take 8.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

On the subject of foils that curl, I wonder how bad the Jacebook premium foils will curl, because I really want a couple of those Brainstorms.

And maybe the Counterspells.

Also the Jacebook is 20 MSRP? I'll take 8.

Oh gently caress, those things are all foils?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

Oh gently caress, those things are all foils?

One random foil.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wish they were all foils but I like the frame and art regardless.

They missed a chance to use the good Jace Beleren art tho.

This one:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think it would have been rad to do an $80 MSRP Jace spellbook headed up by a JTMS. They would have made a ton.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I think it would have been rad to do an $80 MSRP Jace spellbook headed up by a JTMS. They would have made a ton.

Gotta move lottery tickets/can’t admit your cards have real value

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneB posted:

Use foils at your LGS if you feel the need. Anything with stakes just pull em out and use normal cards. It's just way safer.

Yah, that's my plan. I love the way the old frame judge foils look, so I picked up a couple of judge foil Noble Hierarchs recently. Lots of people play with partially foiled decks at my store's FNM, so I don't think there will be an issue unless it's egregious. I actually think it's completely fine to be very strict about it at the PTQ and up level, though. You can easily gain an advantage, even without meaning to, over a long tournament, if you cut to a specific card at a greater than normal rate.

I do hate how Wizards is handling it, though. They must realize this is an issue, so it's completely indefensible to ever print a tournament legal card if it's only available in foil. I don't think it's really possible to have a printing/foiling process that doesn't result in some curling (it's just basic physics; two layers of dissimilar materials will expand differently under moisture/temperature changes)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gotta move lottery tickets/can’t admit your cards have real value

They do it with FTV all the time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

They do it with FTV all the time.

The last couple of FTVs haven't been all that great though.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Star Man posted:

I bought a Pokémon box last Novemver that had a foil promo in it and the thing was bowed pretty badly. I live in bone dry, arid Wyoming, so it's not an issue of humidity.

For as skeavy as Force of Will is, the cards are really nice and I wish that was the norm for making cards.

Final Fantasy also comes on some incredibly durable cardstock, I swear at least one grandparent is Tupperware

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
how ain't nobody mention the cool and good map of dominaria

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So I read through most of the new story and why is everyone in the gatewatch short of Liliana so loving boring and one dimensional

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

it does, yeah, the card stock, at least in the us, is pretty crap now

It’s loving horrible in Sweden as well, so at least parts of EU is affected.
I’ll snap some pics of Rivals foils tomorrow. There’s no way I can play them without metal sleeves or something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Matsuri posted:

So I read through most of the new story and why is everyone in the gatewatch short of Liliana so loving boring and one dimensional

Probably so they're ~relatable~.

Or because they're easier to write that way.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

Care to write a synopsis of the new story?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Matsuri posted:

I mean Jace is likable now.

But Chandra is I LIKE FIRE FIRE GOOD BURN IT ALL. Gideon is the big meat head and Nissa's an elf, so.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Supplies chat: Semi-impulse bought 4 80+ Ultimate Guard Boulder cases last evening to replace my cheap Legion boxes. For $7 each they are awesome. The colors are awesome, they seem incredibly durable, and the bottom parts slide into my flip n' trays for taking to events. For $1000+ modern decks they are definitely worth it just to prevent crushing in whatever storage you have at home. Also the 80+ hold 75 double sleeved cards with room to spare. I think the 100+ would be overkill, and I prefer tight cases in general to keep air out of the double sleeved stuff.

Also the Denver magic scene seems p serious and people really like spending money on cardboard here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dragon enthusiast posted:

Shouldn't there be more Rath parts like the Skyshroud Forest, and, uh, this loving thing?

I guess it is just Skyshroud huh

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Thisuck posted:

Care to write a synopsis of the new story?

Lili, Chandra, Nissa, and Gideon land in Dominaria after escaping from Bolas. Everyone suspects Lili of using them for her own means because Belzenlok or whoever is in Dominaria. Nissa gets mad and leaves the Gatewatch (maybe who knows). Chandra gets mad and says she's not strong enough and leaves. Gideon is wounded and has to come with Liliana for healing. Liliana finds here home town or whatever tf in swampy ruins bc the Cabal or something and Josu may or may not be a slave to Belzenlok now

but keep in mind I mostly skimmed it because I just wanted the main points

you know I'd think the Gatewatch owes Liliana a solid after her pitching in against the Eldrazi and stuff but idk

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

Also the Denver magic scene seems p serious and people really like spending money on cardboard here.

A lot of pros are starting to congregate in Denver.

What store did you end up settling at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

dragon enthusiast posted:

I probably have enough playmats already, but I definitely want another one for this.