Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Which tank class is least hard to gently caress up? I've never tanked before and I want to give it a shot as I want to do something other than healing for once.

Paladin is the good tank class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

SL the Pyro posted:

This was from an in-progress run where I jumped in and saved them from Ozma, guiding them through the fight and killing it in one try. Feels good.

it was all you, the group of stupid pubbies was just waiting for a goon to save them from the boss in the 24 person raid

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

zolthorg posted:

Paladin is the brain dead tank class

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Please, everyone, if you're in a Nidhogg party and people are telling you to stand in the circles, call them idiots. I can see this stupid idea easily spreading.

About 3 years in and I'm still the only one I see not trying to hide behind rocks for Garuda's Aerial Blast. I'm sorry, it's too late already.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Paladin is a good tank to learn the basics of tanking on, if you can hold aggro as a PLD 30-40 you can hold aggro on drat near anything :v: Warrior is fairly different, ability-wise, and Dark Knight is for if you liked Paladin but thought it was too simple, pretty much. My 60 tank is DRK and it really does play a lot like if they'd just added an extra MP management system to Paladin and scratched out all instances of "physical" to change them to "magical."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Irae posted:

About 3 years in and I'm still the only one I see not trying to hide behind rocks for Garuda's Aerial Blast. I'm sorry, it's too late already.
But the real question is, do they kill the adds?

Assuming you mean in trial roulette rather than EX.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The long cutscene at the end was somewhat spoiled because I kept waiting for a beloved character to get impaled on Tokyo Tower.

EDIT: I also recommend PLD for learning the basics of tanking.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Which tank class is least hard to gently caress up?

Sub question: which one has the best looking armor/gear? I've never really paid attention to it.

Currently, I have GLD at 16, MRD at 11 and haven't touched DRK.

PLD for sure. Lots of cool downs to keep yourself alive and to be a good WAR/DRK you need to be able to manage your TP/MP. Start with PLD and if you finding itself getting bored, try the others.

In terms of class specific gear, it really depends on what you like. PLD is your traditional knight look. DRK is daaaaark. And War is err barbariany.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SirPhoebos posted:

The long cutscene at the end was somewhat spoiled because I kept waiting for a beloved character to get impaled on Tokyo Tower.

EDIT: I also recommend PLD for learning the basics of tanking.

Is this a Drakengard reference or

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
This patch is amazing and I love it. Got a house, got a paissa minion, and did both the story trial and the new 24 man (where i got a chest piece!) with the first group I just duty findered into. We wiped a lot as everybody was basically running blind, but we pulled through. Even the relic doesn't seem that bad - feels like the major hurdle is going to be Eso.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Irae posted:

To be fair, that one has precedent in having to hide behind the rocks for other mechanics.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Having a full FC party at least meant our own group was solid but unfortunately you can't really carry stupid very well in Weeping City.

Lots of Ozma attempts in an 8-man premade ended with me briefly focused entirely on a bunch of meteor and positioning mechanics. After they're all over I get a chance to glance at the alliance list and my party is fine and everyone else is dead.

Runner up is attempts on the first boss ending with literally everyone charging into the tear in the upper web and leaving no one up top to do things.

Enough about the 24-man though, you know what's surprisingly great? Aquapolis. The little music tension sting before a door opens/shuts is great and EVERYONE starts flipping out when it opens even if it's the first choice. I had one run that did the fake-out door-slam-then-open that had everyone laughing hysterically (that run was the farthest we had gotten at that point).

The bonus boss is amazing though. Started a chest fight and when the last set of gates open a giant cyclops dropped from the loving ceiling. The music instantly changed to the Coil boss fight music while I try to wrangle a dozen adds and an angry cyclops with no AoE markers on his attacks.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Verranicus posted:

Is this a Drakengard reference or

You know it is :unsmigghh:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Please, everyone, if you're in a Nidhogg party and people are telling you to stand in the circles, call them idiots. I can see this stupid idea easily spreading.

It was just day 1 thing,I was in masochistic mood and went to do some DFing today and people don't spread it anymore
The circles would make more sense though, now that part is very mechanical dps check with little thematical sense

Then I got dream DF where everyone had apparently wiped on it enough to learn the strats and we cleared it on second try, I hate the fight by now but the fight we won was dramatic and close even without fuckups so I could see some beauty in it.

Of course I'd goon FC, but I live in eu so goon things rarely work for me and well, I play ffxiv in bursts anyway

mallamp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 8, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ffxivflavortext/status/740507036157349888

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm 58 Dark Knight right now and it's about the same, maybe a little harder with juggling MP.

How is Warrior compared to PLD and DRK?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'm 58 Dark Knight right now and it's about the same, maybe a little harder with juggling MP.

Fun.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't make Dragonsong sync up with the fight at all like Answers in T13, but really nothing will ever be able to top the Teraflare transition.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pierson posted:

Easier than drk, maybe a little harder than pld but not really. Your main spammable aoe threat move is a cone rather than a circle, and it uses TP instead of MP but it's nbd. You have two combos (two and a half maybe) but knowing which one to use when is very intuitive. Stacking and spending wrath/abandon is also pretty intuitive.

Or, to put it another way, it's fun. You play like a dps and act like a tank.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

My favorite timed song transition is still the old Shiva song, sure it's cheesy as hell but that's why i play this game

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Easier than drk, maybe a little harder than pld but not really. Your main spammable aoe threat move is a cone rather than a circle, and it uses TP instead of MP but it's nbd. You have two combos (two and a half maybe) but knowing which one to use when is very intuitive. Stacking and spending wrath/abandon is also pretty intuitive.

Or, to put it another way, it's fun. You play like a dps and act like a tank.

The main sticking point with WAR's is that their main defensive cooldown only lasts five seconds (but is up way more often) so you have to pay a lot more attention to what the boss is doing in order to maximize/not waste it compared to PLD/DRK who's main defensive cooldown lasts for twenty seconds.

WAR's are all about the offensive though. If you like making big numbers bigger (both outward and incoming damage) then you'll love WAR. As someone who loves making huge numbers tiny-to-nonixistent I prefer PLD. DRK is pretty cool either way once you get mana management down.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Ran Sohr Khai yesterday with a group of pubbies that were just as blind to the dungeon as I was, and I gotta say, even though it took us about an hour to clear it (and a few wipes at Death Pony before we finally figured it out), it was a pretty fun experience. Same for the mostly-pubbie group I ran Final Steps with, we still wiped a couple of times but we had an experienced tank who was patient and helpful with explaining the mechanics to the rest of us scrubs, and my co-healer helped us pull a clutch victory on attempt #3 with an LB3. First time I've been able to do new patch content on day 1, and I had a blast :kimchi:

I still need to try Hullbreaker HM and Mhach, but I might just give Sohr Khai another go or two whenever I log on later. The parts where Hraesvelgr swoops over you were just :aaaaa:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mallamp posted:

My favorite timed song transition is still the old Shiva song, sure it's cheesy as hell but that's why i play this game

:same:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Solovey posted:

I still need to try Hullbreaker HM

I saved this till I'm done with MSQ additions and it was such a wrong order.. It's a literal sunny paradise that you just faceroll through, all mechanics could be bruteforce healed

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Aquapolis is the best content ever put in the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I find DRK the easiest tank, to be honest. Unleash and AD work better to grab threat than flash and overpower from my experience. As long as you aren't terrible at managing MP you'll be fine.

I do love WAR at times though. Berserk triple fell cleaves and triple decimates for trash packs are pretty much the best.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mallamp posted:

Just let it go.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

mallamp posted:

I saved this till I'm done with MSQ additions and it was such a wrong order.. It's a literal sunny paradise that you just faceroll through, all mechanics could be bruteforce healed

I'm glad to hear that, tbh. I just barreled through the MSQ as quickly as possible so I could go back to browsing the internet and turn shout/yell chat back on without fear of big story spoilers :shobon:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

aquapolis is 60 content only right

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I loving love Aquapolis and whoever designed it.

Also, I loving hate Aquapolis and its bullshit coinflips powered by your suffering.

I won't say any more about it, because people really need to experience it for themselves.

(We ran a bunch of maps last night in a 5-man group and got to room 1, 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, and 7, and I ended up 6mil richer on account of selling glass fiber to thirsty crafters and the Twilight Over Thanalan music to thirsty 1.0 players. Didn't sell my Paissa Brat though, he's my buddy :kimchi: )

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

zolthorg posted:

aquapolis is 60 content only right

I just got done with a ton of Aquapolist. I think we did 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4 on ours.

It is literally the most anxious I have ever been in this game.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mordiceius posted:

Aquapolis is the best content ever put in the game.

It's amazing I went there once and got to floor 5 and holy poo poo the cutscenes are amazing amaziiing amazing

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

BURNINATING THE ISHGARD

And then Nidhogg come in the NIII-IIIIIIIIIIGHHHT!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

PhilippAchtel posted:

And besides, it's not like you can't wrangle up people in the FCs to run just about any old dungeon or primal.

No-one wanted to do Odin with me :(
Wiped for an hour with pubbies instead and lost :(

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What is with Odin anyway? I had the same thing happen and I've never beaten him. The Armor average is way too low

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If you want to curbstomp Odin try starting a party in the party finder and just do it unsynced. He's more tuned to being an extreme trial than a hard one but instead of wipe mechanics he just has piles of damage, aoes, and bleeds. The minimum ilv is 95 but it really isn't a number that a DF party can have and expect to clear.

Really I think half the problem with Odin is just perception since it isn't labeled as an extreme trial. He isn't part of the trial roulette for a reason.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Did the lobby server die?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can I bring my pre-60 friends into Aquapolis with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
No, Aquapolis is meant to be for level 60 since the max ilvl sync is i180.

• Locked thread