Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

Old marines are still cool and the characters at that scale look great, it's just that you notice the shoulder pads reach down to their belts at certain angles. Primaris look like hulking dudes in functional armour and the pads are the same size.

I still think Oldmarines look better and fit the visual themes of the game better.

Good news is that we can disagree and that’s fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

It's not only gone live, it's sold out. Due to poor planning by my team we're split across 3 events, woops.

Blimey, that didn't take long. I was considering it but welp. I'd imagine some tickets for later heats will free up once people qualify/drop out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Badablack posted:

Speaking of Primaris Marines, I’m gonna make a deathwatch army of nothing but; all primaris, all day, every day. How awful would 3 battalions of generic bolter dudes function? Watch Master, 5 primaris cap’ns, and like 70 intercessors rattling off their special priceless ammo at everything in sight. 18 cp and the 5+ recovery relic, so plenty to burn on +1 wounding stratagems for hitting big stuff, and they’ll mulch through any sort of infantry. Maybe throw a jet pack guys in a few squads so they can retreat and still fire, but otherwise just a bunch of tough infantry.

Well legally you can't take 5 Captains anymore. Make it a Watch Master, 3 Captains, and 2 Librarians and it would be viable.

You can do 3 Primaris Watch Captains with Power Swords, 3 Primaris Librarians, and 45 Intercessors for 1497.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Having 6 HQ units at 1500pts seems incredibly bizarre.

Then again 8th ed army building seems incredibly bizarre to me in general.

I’m still building my armies in the same way I’ve been doing for ages - starting with 1HQ, 2 Troops and another thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

I still think Oldmarines look better and fit the visual themes of the game better.

Good news is that we can disagree and that’s fine.

Liking things for reasons is cool and good and there should be more of it.

E: also made me remember I dislike the little techno discs at the joints rather than big welds and rivets

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 21, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Endman posted:

Having 6 HQ units at 1500pts seems incredibly bizarre.

Then again 8th ed army building seems incredibly bizarre to me in general.

I’m still building my armies in the same way I’ve been doing for ages - starting with 1HQ, 2 Troops and another thing.

2 HQ and 3 Troops is the new baseline.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

Blimey, that didn't take long. I was considering it but welp. I'd imagine some tickets for later heats will free up once people qualify/drop out.

Yeah, heat 3 was initially sold out last year but only had about 85 people on the day from a potential 120. People get scheduling conflicts, and a fair number of tickets sold for later heats will be people buying for 1 and 3 so they can have a second go at qualifying if they need to.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2 HQ and 3 Troops is the new baseline.

True

I’m thinking of putting everyone’s favourite Cato Sicarius in a list with a Librarian and some tac squads.

I know Scouts are more efficient or whatever, but tacticals are cooler.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endman posted:

I know Scouts are more efficient or whatever, but tacticals are cooler.

Chapter Approved killed turn 1 deep striking for all but a few specific units & armies, so scouts aren't as vital now, luckily.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Oh my god this looks miserable =/

Has anyone called this the Fyre Festival of 40k yet

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
These pictures are all being taken out of context, they're from a narrative tourney where everyone fought on the Slab World to secure the valuable black rectangles that turn monkeys into men and men into guardsmen.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

Chapter Approved killed turn 1 deep striking for all but a few specific units & armies, so scouts aren't as vital now, luckily.

Every part of this post is wrong lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corrode posted:

Every part of this post is wrong lol

Outside of a handful of units and GSC you can't deploy outside of your zone on turn 1, how is that wrong?

And yeah, I meant FAQ, I subconciously mix up the two :downs:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 21, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

Outside of a handful of units and GSC you can't deploy outside of your zone on turn 1, how is that wrong?

The FAQ killed it and enough armies still have shenanigans they can pull regardless that make a cheap screening unit that can be placed outside your deployment still fairly important, so yes that statement was entirely wrong.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

The FAQ killed it and enough armies still have shenanigans they can pull regardless that make a cheap screening unit that can be placed outside your deployment still fairly important, so yes that statement was entirely wrong.

I did say "aren't as vital now", they're definitely still useful.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Scouts are a cheap troop that are hard to winkle out of cover and can be useful for seizing a relic early on. They are a good choice. The sculpts are a bit eh but whatever.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

JBP posted:

I painted my first primaris marine on the weekend and I need to hard disagree. Short marines look extremely silly.

Yeah I can't even look at my old marines without a rueful smile.

Their paintjob is crap, too, but that's no one's fault but my own.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Neurolimal posted:

I did say "aren't as vital now", they're definitely still useful.

I agree with this. I only plan on bringing 5 man in the future, tops.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Milotic posted:

Scouts are a cheap troop that are hard to winkle out of cover and can be useful for seizing a relic early on. They are a good choice. The sculpts are a bit eh but whatever.

I don't mind mine as much after shaving down their insane jawline.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

I've been doing pretty well with two 6 man intercessor squads and a 5 man scout squad for a while now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
If I ever get around to picking up a few boxes of them I'd sort of like to run dual battalions, one with Intercessors and the other with Scouts. Even outside of giving board control they're one of the few units that can still reliably be in position for turn 1 charges and I find a ton of value in that.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

I found the 10 of them I brought to my tournament very useful. Depending on the mission / opponent they could do a bit of DS denial, start out on midfield objectives, or hold back objectives and let the rest of my army push up. With a heavy bolter in each squad it didn't really matter where I put them since they could do a bit of damage at most ranges, especially with hellfire shells.

Scion heads make the models more palatable.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna run a Deathwatch battalion tomorrow night, my roster is as follows. Any recommendations on loadouts for my Veteran squads?

I'm gonna run a 10 man squad with a Captain or Chaplain and a 6-man squad in my Corvus and Laserback, respectively.

Apart from a storm shield and frag cannon, is there anything that a vet squad should absolutely pack? It seems like bolters are a good, cheap option that is still effective with SIA.

I've also got Primaris that I will probably pack with an aggressor and inceptor, as well as a 5-man Reiver squad with carbines and grapple guns to grab objectives and/or harass.

I also have a Ven Dread and my HQ will likely be a Watch Master and Artemis. Keep the Master with the Primaris, let Artemis lead the Corvus squad. Wanna use that stasis bomb :hellyeah:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey, can anyone tell me how Guilliman and a Demon Prince compare size wise?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Apparently GW provided a load of scenery to the LGT people and they chose not to use any of it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Apparently GW provided a load of scenery to the LGT people and they chose not to use any of it.

Come on lol

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The organisers also promised to leave last year's painted terrain under the tables so people could choose to use that instead. Come Saturday there was no sign of it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

Meanwhile, at the home of the event organisers:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You're not kidding. Just in the gaming hall for the public to use they have some incredible stuff. A factory spanning multiple tables using Zone Mortalis tiles with Sector Mechanicus walkways on top of the walls was a highlight.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I don't understand how there wasn't a mass demand for a refund.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

xtothez posted:

Meanwhile, at the home of the event organisers:

I'd be terrified of forgetting a model in there or accidentally breaking off the pickets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Milotic posted:

I could see using Van Saar models as interesting alternative scouts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Going off some scouts posted earlier in the thread, head swaps go a really long way towards making them look pretty good.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Not to imply that Booley's fists are anything other than excellent, but I'm just not a fan of the Scion heads on Scout bodies. The design doesn't quite mesh and seems a bit unnatural to my eyes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I could see using Van Saar models as interesting alternative scouts.

I'm gonna use some for IG

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So they're doing kids books now. WARHAMMER ADVENTURES.

Genuine quote

'Life in the 41st Millennium is hard.'

New thread title TIA

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Scouts definitely look better with almost any other head. Here's mine looking all feudal for Black Templar service:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lord Twisted posted:

So they're doing kids books now. WARHAMMER ADVENTURES.

Genuine quote

'Life in the 41st Millennium is hard.'

New thread title TIA

I am extremely on board for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo