Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Not the chain, no, but the straight-cut reduction gear. It's like a racing transmission. It makes a sort of banshee howl. You can get an example of it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmz2kPlBnA&t=520s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to get motorcycle comms working with a car for a road trip? I have a Cardo system so I could theoretically just do a phone call and get the car to call me, but that sounds less than ideal.

It would be cool if Cardo sold a comms unit that you could just clip to the sun visor like the old timey Bluetooth mics you paired yo your phone.

They still sell those Bluetooth speakerphones, and Sena pairs directly with them via the universal headset pairing option they have. I’d be surprised if Cardo didn’t have the same. My wife has one of the jabra drive speakerphones on her visor, and it works within about half a km in heavy traffic, and further without traffic.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Welcome to the Energica club, LodeRunner! I got my Ego 3 weeks ago, and already put 900 miles on it. I love the way the straight-cut transmission sounds, it's so futuristic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Reading that made me check up on whether there were any UK dealers, and my nearest one has a hell of an aesthetic - http://www.englishelectricmotorco.com/

Vaporwave *and* using the name and logo of a 1950s maker of jet fighters and trains? Sign me the gently caress up.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

LodeRunner posted:

I'm back with more electric poo poo. This time I sold my Zeroes and got myself one of them fancy EYETALIAN 'LECTRICS and wrote up a thing about it.

Nice writeup. Maybe this is a stupid question but what does it mean to "add a charger"?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Welcome to the Energica club, LodeRunner! I got my Ego 3 weeks ago, and already put 900 miles on it. I love the way the straight-cut transmission sounds, it's so futuristic.
It's cool but I do miss the quiet whirring of my Zero. It's almost jarringly loud when you hit hard regen around town.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reading that made me check up on whether there were any UK dealers, and my nearest one has a hell of an aesthetic - http://www.englishelectricmotorco.com/

Vaporwave *and* using the name and logo of a 1950s maker of jet fighters and trains? Sign me the gently caress up.
I've worked with Alec, the owner, before. He's a really good guy trying very hard to grow his business and do everything he can for his customers. Definitely vouch for the man.

epalm posted:

Nice writeup. Maybe this is a stupid question but what does it mean to "add a charger"?

In this case it literally meant sticking the equivalent of a PC power supply onto the bike that would accept AC power from the grid and convert it to DC power at the right voltage for the bike. This is what all the "level 2" or EV stations that look like little comms boxes are. They're just AC power from the grid with a little communications box and, in the US, a J1772 inlet. In the EU they use a plug called Mennekes Type 2. This is the cheapest way to make stations because it requires almost no infrastructure, and it means the person with the vehicle has to keep the power supply, or chargers, on their vehicles which adds weight and takes up space.

Whereas the power supply on your PC is good for about 1000 Watts, or 1kW, each one of the chargers I had on my bike was waterproof and good for 3300 Watts, or 3.3kW. Mounting 4 of them gave me the ability to deliver 13.2kW of power to my bike, and the battery was just about that size, meaning it would charge in an hour. The trick then becomes figuring out where the gently caress I can plug in that will give me 13.2kW. It just so happens that EV stations typically max out at 6.6kW, so I did the equivalent of plugging into 2 gas pumps at the same time.

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 30, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LodeRunner, are you planning on adding more AC chargers to your SS9 or is the 21kW DC charging option in your area going to make that pretty much pointless?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

LodeRunner, are you planning on adding more AC chargers to your SS9 or is the 21kW DC charging option in your area going to make that pretty much pointless?

Funny thing, we actually made some portable DC units for a project that deliver 6kW and can be strapped to the bike then feed in via the CCS plug. Theoretically we could strap 2 (one to each side case) and then siphon off 2 J1772 stations again for 12kW. It would also power any EV with CCS.

So we're toying with it, is the answer.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is it something like this? I saw it mentioned in the Energica section in electricmotorcycleforum.com. Kinda pricey but awesome for sure.

Edit: If you're ever interested in having an Energica tester, count me in! Also, I'd like to know how much it costs if you plan on selling one in the future.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 30, 2019

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

LodeRunner posted:

so I did the equivalent of plugging into 2 gas pumps at the same time.

This was what I was looking for.

So a charging station has more than one wire (equivalent of a "hose" at a gas station)? Or you park between two charging stations and plug station 1 wire into charger 1, and station 2 wire into charger 2?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is it something like this? I saw it mentioned in the Energica section in electricmotorcycleforum.com. Kinda pricey but awesome for sure.

Edit: If you're ever interested in having an Energica tester, count me in! Also, I'd like to know how much it costs if you plan on selling one in the future.
Probably something similar to that. We literally fabbed ours out of sheet metal and it also delivers 20 amps. I'll keep you in mind; what part of the world are you in? (Like will you need the Mennekes style CCS, etc.)

epalm posted:

This was what I was looking for.

So a charging station has more than one wire (equivalent of a "hose" at a gas station)? Or you park between two charging stations and plug station 1 wire into charger 1, and station 2 wire into charger 2?

The only people who have ever done multi station siphoning, as far as I know, is us. And generally the answer is park between two and siphon off both. However some stations have dual plugs which made it simple and handy. You just needed to know how to start multiple ChargePoint sessions off a single account.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Up to five screws. Looks like a curtain rod installed by an 8 year old. Yeah my fibula is supposed to look like that.

I wore this shirt to see my surgeon today:

So I'm finally out of the air cast and can ride again without anyone getting mad at me, but woke up this morning with an intense cold. Hopefully I can avoid breaking anything else before it clears up/starts snowing.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LodeRunner posted:

Probably something similar to that. We literally fabbed ours out of sheet metal and it also delivers 20 amps. I'll keep you in mind; what part of the world are you in? (Like will you need the Mennekes style CCS, etc.)

I’m in the Atlanta area. That would be awesome if I could charge at 6+ kW at j-1772 and NEMA 14-50 spots!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Up to five screws. Looks like a curtain rod installed by an 8 year old. Yeah my fibula is supposed to look like that.

So I'm finally out of the air cast and can ride again without anyone getting mad at me, but woke up this morning with an intense cold. Hopefully I can avoid breaking anything else before it clears up/starts snowing.

Wonder if you'll get emf interference from the stator...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Strife posted:

So do you just wave your leg at finicky traffic light sensors now?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Wonder if you'll get emf interference from the stator...

It's all titanium so I wouldn't think so.

Edit: Here's a neat journal entry on interactions between titanium and MRI fields. I guess if it's safe for an MRI, it should be fine.

There's a curious line about alloys though, which makes me wonder, just what kind of metals am I made of??

Strife fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 30, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's cool that people like electric bikes and I don't think you're crazy for liking the sound, but they sound like rear end to me and I think it would drive me crazy if I had to hear that all the time.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Then don't buy one?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

A while back I asking about which bike I should rent in Japan for a day trip around the Mt. Fuji area. I'm here to give my trip report:

I ended up going with rental819 instead of Japan Bike Rentals. Since I was only doing a day trip, I didn't need some of the benefits Japan Bike Rentals offered like being able to return bikes at other locations and having better English support. Japan bike rental's website has a lot of useful information, though, and if I was touring the country for several days I would consider them more strongly just for the option of returning at any location. However, rental819's bike selection is far better.

As some of you guys suggested, I went with the Honda CB400SF (technically I went with the half faired CB400SB cause I wanted to see what ABS on a bike was like). Reserving the bike was simple enough, I shot an email to their online support on the website and they had me fill out an online form with some basic information like name, address, passport number, desired bike, etc. I brought all my gear with me, but they offer helmet rentals if you need it. Hopefully you have a Shoei or Arai head cause that's all they'll have!

I picked up the bike at their Numazu-Ekimae location near Hakone. This location wasn't listed as having English support, but the guy who helped me knew a tiny amount and it's easy enough to muddle through the rest. Basically if you've rented a vehicle before, it's more or less the same process. I'm from the US, and they asked me for my passport, domestic driver's license, and international driving permit (this is easy to get from AAA, you don't even need to be a member. Just fill out a simple form, bring passport photos and $20). After forking over your information, you'll fill out some paperwork in English, go over the bike with the shop to point out any pre-existing damage for liability reasons, go over the controls, and away you go. The only extra thing I'll add is that an ETC card for paying tolls does NOT come included by default with the bike rental. Next time I would specifically ask for one cause trying to fish out money to pay the tolls while wearing gloves is a pain.

Here's the bike parked behind my buddy's kei car, a Honda S660:

The dash has a big honking digital readout in the middle for gear indicator

We set off to ride along the Hakone skyline first:

https://goo.gl/maps/nxiHoJjhbSNhEYKGA

Okay, so as for the part you guys actually care about, the bike itself:

This thing is awesome. It's a 400cc inline-four weighing in at about 440lb wet. While that seems kind of heavy, the center of gravity is low and it felt like I was handling a much tinier bike with how nimble it was. The ride is extremely smooth with no vibrations through the whole 13k RPM range, especially under ~6.3k where VTEC kicks in. The VTEC is hilarious to play with as it gives an extra bit of pep when it triggers and it just feels more dramatic as the bike starts stretching its legs. Combined with that inline-four supersport-like screaming, it's really satisfying to goose the throttle.

So the bike has kind of a supersport feel, but WAY more forgiving. Grabbing a fistful of throttle accidentally isn't instant death. I would liken it more as having a supersport feel with power and handling that's completely usable outside of the track. It flicks through the corners easily and really feels like you're tapping into all of its power instead of leaving like 80% on the table the way you would with a supersport.

Now that it's over though, I'm really sad I can't find anything like this in the states. I think this would be my ideal bike if I had to live with it. Maybe I should try out an R3?

I'm not much for photos, but here's some random other ones I took while at Hakone:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

It's cool that people like electric bikes and I don't think you're crazy for liking the sound, but they sound like rear end to me and I think it would drive me crazy if I had to hear that all the time.

Yeah I'm kind of with you. I want to like it, and I reserve judgement until I've actually ridden one on the road, but I "rode" a Livewire strapped to a dyno/rolling road and it was really an annoying sound. Of course that might be on purpose, since it is a Harley.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Heck, thank you for adding to my ever-growing list of things to do in Japan. I am definitely not bike-seasoned enough to do this during my 2020 trip but I'm pencilling it in for my 2021 itinerary :)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I'm kind of with you. I want to like it, and I reserve judgement until I've actually ridden one on the road, but I "rode" a Livewire strapped to a dyno/rolling road and it was really an annoying sound. Of course that might be on purpose, since it is a Harley.

From what I've read, the Livewire actually pumps out an artificial sound.

Loud electric bikes save lives, I guess.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

agreedo. I'd rather it actually be silent than the sound they currently make

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
But if it's not unnecessarily loud and obnoxious how will people know it's American? :v:

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

At highway speeds you lose awareness of the sound the bike makes, coupled with wind noise and whatever sick tunes you're blasting through your helmet speakers, be it Enya or Depeche Mode. Where I notice the sound most is around town or low end, and when you engage regenerative braking. As one ICE rider friend who is often with us notes, the acceleration and regen sounds combined with the doppler effect at first made him panic and think there are EMS vehicles or cops trying to pull him over.

I will also admit the other day I was stopped at an empty light at nighttime with my music going in my helmet, and I casually farted. Then I realized the bike was entirely silent, so any passerby would just have heard a guy farting on his bike. So I started giggling, and it got into this whole loop where I was full on laughing at the stupidity of the scene. Any passerby would have just seen a silent bike waiting at a light, heard a fart, and then watched the rider laugh uncontrollably.

also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMmfaQ-HRw0

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 31, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I agree about the Doppler effect thing, it sounds like an ambulance when my Energica’s approaching.

I’ve gotten lots of comments from people in parking lots appreciating how silent it is, so it’s not loud when it doesn’t need to be.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

From what I've read, the Livewire actually pumps out an artificial sound.

Loud electric bikes save lives, I guess.

Whenever I read about vehicles that do this I'm reminded of a short story I read once:

After a peak oil crisis, this suburban dad roars out of his garage in a big tank of a car making wonderful V8 noises, drives up and down the street and around the block, back into the garage. Chuckles at his son, "Well! Good ol' Ned next door is sure gonna wonder how we can afford this baby! Now, I'll rewind the tape recorder with the engine sounds, and you start turning the key for the car's mainspring, and maybe I'll take you up and down the block when you're done in a couple hours!"

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

Whenever I read about vehicles that do this I'm reminded of a short story I read once:

After a peak oil crisis, this suburban dad roars out of his garage in a big tank of a car making wonderful V8 noises, drives up and down the street and around the block, back into the garage. Chuckles at his son, "Well! Good ol' Ned next door is sure gonna wonder how we can afford this baby! Now, I'll rewind the tape recorder with the engine sounds, and you start turning the key for the car's mainspring, and maybe I'll take you up and down the block when you're done in a couple hours!"

The answer is, of course, to ride two-up with a band kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwaXjtRybhI

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

Sena also makes a non-helmet BT communicator that you can pair with a Cardo, and then use the same trick with the 3.5mm cable to the aux port. https://www.sena.com/product/bluetooth-mic-intercom

I literally just found this for 80% off MSRP on gpbikes.com and bought what appears to be their last one for fifty Canadian funbucks. Even if it sucks I bet I can resell it for more, so this should be a fun experiment!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Welp, it's officially Not Bike Weather. Took the GSX-R for one last rip through my favourite offramps and packed her away at my folks' place for the winter. The whole time I was riding I was thinking "well it's a little cold but I can deal, maybe I'll keep it out for another week," but it's better to be safe than sorry, and it's supposed to snow like, tonight.

I'm pretty happy though, I packed in a lot of city riding in the back half of the season, having only picked up the bike in mid-July. Didn't stray much further than Forks of the Credit Road, so next season I'm going to plan some serious trips to enjoy the real corners a few hours away.

Now I'm still paying insurance for it to sit there in a garage for like five months. gently caress this stupid province.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 9, 2019

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mister Speaker posted:

Now I'm still paying insurance for it to sit there in a garage for like five months. gently caress this stupid province.
Ah drat, they don't let you just call the insurance and tell them you're not riding it for the winter and to put it on hold?

I keep threatening to do that for our brutal summers, but always end up riding at least every couple weeks anyway.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Ah drat, they don't let you just call the insurance and tell them you're not riding it for the winter and to put it on hold?

Back when I had USAA, I was able to put a vehicle in "storage" to pay a minimal premium.

With Progressive, I just slash the coverage if I'm not going to be driving something for awhile.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

In Norway, insurance on motorbikes pretty much assumes you're keeping them in storage for half the year. If you de-plate the bike every fall (the only way to legally keep an uninsured vehicle) and re-plate it every spring, not only will you have to pay the registration fee, your insurance premiums will pretty much double (less a bit because insurance also covers theft while in storage).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I got my first motorcycle when I was still living in Canada, and I asked the insurance lady exactly that. She said "hahahahahaha no, the premiums are already prorated on the assumption that you won't be riding for half the year." So $1800 for a forty-year-old 350 was effectively already the six month rate. Lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

next season I'm going to plan some serious trips to enjoy the real corners a few hours away.

My 2020 goal is Hamilton to Muskoka for a long weekend with friends and back. That place was gorgeous to ride on four wheels, can’t wait to do it in two!

That’s part of why I’m trying so desperately to find a working way to comms with a chase car :)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martytoof posted:

My 2020 goal is Hamilton to Muskoka for a long weekend with friends and back. That place was gorgeous to ride on four wheels, can’t wait to do it in two!

That’s part of why I’m trying so desperately to find a working way to comms with a chase car :)

I'd love to join you! Muskoka has some delicious roads. I used to work at a summer camp outside Bracebridge and would spend my one day off a week tearing up Highway 118 and some other roads. At that time, the asphalt on 118 was brand-spankin'-new, there was barely any gravel and the corners had plenty of visibility around them. That was more than a decade ago but it's probably still in good condition. FWIR, Fraserburg Road was also nice, and Hwy 141.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello, southern Ontario goons. Agree, Muskoka is great, been up to the Port Carling / Lake Rosseau area most recently, very pretty. Any of you been to the Mt. Nemo conservation/escarpment area? It’s north of Burlington, short trip from where I live in Mississauga, not bad if I want to kill a couple hours on the bike, especially last month when the leaves all turned.

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 10, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like we’ve got ourselves a group ride in the making!

I definitely plan to do Muskoka more than once so I’m definitely down to ride! I’ll probably be back on the bike once I get back from overseas in May so hopefully the weather is good by then :haw:

Haven’t been to Mt. Nemo but I’m in Ancaster so this sound like it’s right in my backyard. This year I did Hamilton to Niagara which was an AWESOME ride and recommended to anyone.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Leaving home today I passed a biker with his emergency lights flashing as he was on the highway. Shortly after I thought, "poo poo, I should have stopped to check on him."

It weighed on me so at the next turnoff I doubled back and .... saw him in the Southbound lane as I headed back North. Oh well. I doubled back again at the next turnoff and found him a few hundred yards from the original spot. He was ok, but his bike had suddenly turned off without warning. He thought it was out of gas or, frankly, he had no idea about anything. Nice, clean little Suzuki GSX 250r. Idled fine. I had him open the tank because it was, in his words, "down to 1 bar of fuel". I sloshed it around and saw plenty of gas. He thought it might be oil, but his oil was pretty clean looking at the window, so I told him I suspected his kickstand sensor was on the fritz and recommended a local shop, then escorted him to a nearby gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Martytoof posted:

Use a jabra drive on the sun visor. You can pick them up at Best Buy for about $60. Pair using the universal headset method on a cardo (I use a sena, so it might be called something else.) It works well enough in heavy traffic on the 401. (Transiting Toronto to head to Kingston)

That whole area north of Lake Simcoe is awesome. I usually run Minden - Halliburton - Bancroft if I’m headed out east and I’ve got the day to kill.