Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS

mikeraskol posted:

ActusRhesus makes so much sense now

It's the easy life. Of course, I'm reliant on lobbyists to get raises and I currently deal primarily with rich assholes as victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

A Game of Chess posted:

Grades/extras definitely still come up in interviews, quite a lot. Even for government jobs these days.

I just put deans list 3 years in a row on my CV :smug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have a contribution for the OP, that can be filed under either "don't go to law school" or "if you go, borrow only federal debt and use IBR"

Not pictured: my $45k or so in additional private debt

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have a contribution for the OP, that can be filed under either "don't go to law school" or "if you go, borrow only federal debt and use IBR"

I figured you were dead. Still copy writing?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

...poo poo. I wish I had that kind of payment for that kind of debt.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that's lower than my non-IBR-reduced payment on less than half that debt

i hate u

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have a little over 1/3 of that debt and my payment is only $30 less. Nicely done.

I have just enough debt that I would pay it off under IBR, so IBR isn't worth it. So I'm trying to pay it off as fast as possible by paying 2x my payment every month.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I figured you were dead. Still copy writing?

Yes and Yes

CaptainScraps posted:

...poo poo. I wish I had that kind of payment for that kind of debt.

The trick is to not make very much money :smug:

Actually that's not even true, I'm pretty happy with my salary. It just doesn't feel like I'm making very much money because all of it goes towards debt (the other two loans are about $160 each) and Boston cost of living.

Every month I die a little inside knowing that if I'd just checked the "Grad PLUS" box instead of "Access Group" box on my financial aid application 8 years ago, my entire debt would fall into that $383 payment, but instead it's about double that, because I can't consolidate my private loans with the federal.

Live and learn and drink a lot I guess.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mikeraskol posted:

They have to want you to work there in order for that to happen

:iceburn:

joat mon posted:

Different things in different places.
My state only has 'traditional' habeas corpus; e.g., if the sheriff hasn't released a prisoner he's supposed to release.

Around here, 'post-conviction relief' seems to be our version of AR's habeas - but it works a bit differently.

Oh we have that too...and they have a right to counsel unless the PD's office files an extensive report saying there is no merit to the claim...which usually requires more work than just showing up and arguing some bullshit. And we wonder why our state has no money.

mikeraskol posted:

ActusRhesus makes so much sense now

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Also, loans would have been paid off in full last month but I requested a deferment to let the state release their "loan forgiveness" funds and pay it off for me. My interest is being capitalized during the deferment period, but when you owe less than 5K that's like, what? $0.50? :smugdog:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I paid off my last PLUS last week and then immediately put the Staffords on extended repayment. Gonna go from zapping $2k a month to $330.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Elotana posted:

I paid off my last PLUS last week and then immediately put the Staffords on extended repayment. Gonna go from zapping $2k a month to $330.

Time to move west and teach lsat?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Time to move west and teach lsat?
It was actually moving east and LOL NOPE they dicked around for a month and then took the offer back and said they couldn't offer me any classes, I guess because they got some applications from people who already lived there where they wouldn't have to pay relocation. So the only thing it accomplished was to waste a few weeks of job search time.

Princeton Review did the same thing to me in undergrad, brought me in for an audition where I crushed it and then said "WELL ACTUALLY we already have a veteran instructor who teaches all our LSAT classes but we can offer you an MCAT class and see how you do there!" Test prep companies just love to gently caress with me.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 25, 2015

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

The trick is to not make very much money :smug:

Actually that's not even true, I'm pretty happy with my salary. It just doesn't feel like I'm making very much money because all of it goes towards debt (the other two loans are about $160 each) and Boston cost of living.

Every month I die a little inside knowing that if I'd just checked the "Grad PLUS" box instead of "Access Group" box on my financial aid application 8 years ago, my entire debt would fall into that $383 payment, but instead it's about double that, because I can't consolidate my private loans with the federal.

Live and learn and drink a lot I guess.

I don't even get to deduct the loving interest on mine this year. How rude.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ActusRhesus posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I just want to hate them both :ohdear:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I don't even get to deduct the loving interest on mine this year. How rude.

Is there some cut off for this?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is there some cut off for this?

$80,000 for single, $160,000 for married.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

That's 32 years of deducting the maximum annual $2500.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Income phase out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Look Sir Droids posted:

look at this guy

e. Ainsley, you seriously have $175,000 in debt from law school?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

200 plus here, and I had a good scholarship.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

sullat posted:

Income phase out.

:downs:

Looks like I'm a long way from worrying about that. I'll be below the annual cap before it happens.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

look at this guy

e. Ainsley, you seriously have $175,000 in debt from law school?

somehow, yes

I had a small scholarship, too!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Ainsley McTree posted:

somehow, yes

I had a small scholarship, too!

Rip your retirement fund.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol if u think any of us will make it to retirement before society collapses and Obama's sodomy gangs become the only law

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Every day I hope to see that the world is ending so that I don't have to worry about student debt anymore.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Obama's sodomy gangs become the only law

:smug:

Lawyers will still be needed for sodomy gang law though right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

:smug:

Lawyers will still be needed for sodomy gang law though right?

im already practicing my "opening argument" if you know what I mean

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I mean my butthole

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

I mean my butthole

Pfft. Like that needs practice.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Pfft. Like that needs practice.

:vince:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wow ar bringing the heat.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed the contrast between this and the other thread I posted a picture of my debt in, though.

In the other one everybody was like "JESUS CHRIST THAT'S A LOT OF DEBT"

But here you were like "nice job keeping the payments down"

Never go to law school, this is what you become

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wow ar bringing the heat.

Oh come on, he left himself wide open for that.

Heh.

Heh heh.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
But the sign of a true pro is whether he reserves a few minutes at the end for rebutthole.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Speaking of fantasies of administrative support, I'm working from home tomorrow (in the absence of the judge). I've been trying to write the same bench memo for three days and have only churned out a couple of paragraphs. Seems like everybody has something that ONLY I CAN HANDLE RIGHT NOW and no one has any ability to screen anything. And no respect for "I am here but have time-sensitive work to do. Contact the court administrator and she'll decide if it needs my attention."

Nope! Phone just jingle-jangles all day.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get to do unauthorized practice of law by writing a demand letter for my mother in law's security deposit. Go to law school.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wouldn't not going to law school be the more economical way to unauthorized practice?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
You might think so, but counter point: Go To Law School.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I lol'd super hard during the bar exam today because one question began with someone taking out a mortgage on their house for "graduate school" tuition and then having their house foreclosed upon. Don't go to law school Toona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Artic Puma posted:

I lol'd super hard during the bar exam today because one question began with someone taking out a mortgage on their house for "graduate school" tuition and then having their house foreclosed upon. Don't go to law school Toona.

I'd probably get removed for giggling as hard as AR does when she gets another conviction affirmed on clearly innocent people.