Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Roblo posted:

Quite the opposite. The storms are loving up the Mongols. As someone upthread said, have a look at the Mongols history with storms and Japan.

yeah, it's one of those neat historical coincidences. for those who don't know, the word "kamikaze" derives from these storms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I doubt its coincidence

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alright which one of you works in the PSN sales department

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I doubt its coincidence

I think they mean it's a fun coincidence that the Mongols happened to invade just as a typhoon hit and severely crippled their forces... only for them to return to try again a few years later just as a typhoon hit and severely crippled their forces. Again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

The idea that I'm so dishonorable the weather itself is all "whoa gently caress this guy" just makes me wanna be a ghost even more.

No, the weather's going "woah, this guy's sneaking around loving poo poo up lets make some noise and make it darker to help him out!" or conversely "woah this dude's really loving poo poo up in open combat, lets keep things calm as hell so he can keep loving poo poo up"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I think they mean it's a fun coincidence that the Mongols happened to invade just as a typhoon hit and severely crippled their forces... only for them to return to try again a few years later just as a typhoon hit and severely crippled their forces. Again.

Ah the actual historical events yeah. I meant I doubt it is a coincidence that the game does it too

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Joey Freshwater posted:

I need to find a way to play that game, it's been so long but it was so good.

Wasn't 4 the one that was incredibly hard to find and thus incredibly expensive if you could?

2 was famously hard to get ahold of and cost a fortune. Can't really speak to 4.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ah the actual historical events yeah. I meant I doubt it is a coincidence that the game does it too

yeah, that's what I intended :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ravenfood posted:

No, the weather's going "woah, this guy's sneaking around loving poo poo up lets make some noise and make it darker to help him out!" or conversely "woah this dude's really loving poo poo up in open combat, lets keep things calm as hell so he can keep loving poo poo up"

got your back no matter what you do, that's a true bro right there

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's bathing men, hallelujah it's bathing men. Amen!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ravenfood posted:

Honestly the only correct answer for Jin regarding the situation is this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uktUhXN3rvE&t=4s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think my favorite thing about Ghost of Tsushima is the ending.

The last fight comes down to a duel between Jin and his mentor/uncle/literal father figure who is the most samurai samurai to ever samurai and disapproves of Jin's actions, but loves Jin. The two are forced to fight and once you beat him you get a choice between killing him and letting him live. This is not a "Good/Evil" choice however but a "Samurai/Ghost" choice. If you kill him you're giving him an honorable Samurai death and acknowledging that you still hold to the traditions even if it means killing your only remaining family, whereas if you let him live you're explicitly and openly rejecting those traditions and choosing to let him live because he is your family instead. Neither is 'objectively' the right choice for the character and it entirely comes down to if you decide over the course of the game that Jin becoming the Ghost was an act of necessity or an act of open rejection of the Samurai code.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there a game where you can use thunder as cover for bullets/arrows/screams/etc? I know of a few where storms will let you be more visually invisible, but it'd be really cool to see something where you need to try and time your shots to thunderclaps

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Retro Futurist posted:

Is there a game where you can use thunder as cover for bullets/arrows/screams/etc? I know of a few where storms will let you be more visually invisible, but it'd be really cool to see something where you need to try and time your shots to thunderclaps

The Sniper Elite series has that as a mechanic, mostly it's so you time your shots to air raids and artillery strikes but I'm pretty sure there are a few levels were thunder can be used for cover.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

marshmallow creep posted:

2 was famously hard to get ahold of and cost a fortune. Can't really speak to 4.

Yeah I wanna say I remember it going for ~Ł100 in the mid-early 2000s. I bought 1 for something like 60.

Speaking of I just finished a playthrough of 2. My favourite little thing is Mukumuku :3:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

It isn't a major thing, but iirc Bad Company 2 had this as a gimmick in one level

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

The first Call of Juarez had a level where you did this. Underrated game, IMO, even if the sequels were better.

Well, except The Cartel, that one sucked so hard the devs basically memory holed it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

I think my favorite thing about Ghost of Tsushima is the ending.

The last fight comes down to a duel between Jin and his mentor/uncle/literal father figure who is the most samurai samurai to ever samurai and disapproves of Jin's actions, but loves Jin. The two are forced to fight and once you beat him you get a choice between killing him and letting him live. This is not a "Good/Evil" choice however but a "Samurai/Ghost" choice. If you kill him you're giving him an honorable Samurai death and acknowledging that you still hold to the traditions even if it means killing your only remaining family, whereas if you let him live you're explicitly and openly rejecting those traditions and choosing to let him live because he is your family instead. Neither is 'objectively' the right choice for the character and it entirely comes down to if you decide over the course of the game that Jin becoming the Ghost was an act of necessity or an act of open rejection of the Samurai code.

I like the thing that Jin says if you let him live (which is what I did) - I was worried that he'd just be like "I'm going to deny you a honorable death ha ha" and be spiteful but instead he says "I have no honor...but even so I will not kill my family." which is exactly what my thought process was when making that choice. I was really happy with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was going to post a nice little touch in that game, you eventually get to a wintry area and the animators went to the effort of making little condensation clouds that move with the wind when characters breathe. But I just noticed the breathing pattern doesn't correlate at all to when the characters are speaking, now I'm irrationally angry and my immersion is ruined :argh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was going to post a nice little touch in that game, you eventually get to a wintry area and the animators went to the effort of making little condensation clouds (that even move with the wind) when characters breathe. But I just noticed the breathing pattern doesn't correlate at all to when the characters are speaking, now I'm irrationally angry and my immersion is ruined :argh:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So irrationally angry, he quoted himself!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have truly brought dishonor on myself on this day by forsaking the forums ideals
:negative:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Is there a game where you can use thunder as cover for bullets/arrows/screams/etc?
Siren has you striking a padlock in time with thunderclaps à la The Shawshank Redemption.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Siren has you striking a padlock in time with thunderclaps à la The Shawshank Redemption.

I was just trying to think of that example. Siren is really good, if you can get past the jank.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I was just trying to think of that example. Siren is really good, if you can get past the jank.
I've only experienced it vicariously through the fantastic and thorough LPer that is supergreatfriend: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2nnUCvaOet1PsMuAgRlBxB
The jank is part of the fun! (And admittedly a lot less frustrating when you're not the one playing.)

Bonus: he's currently working his way through Siren 2: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB22mxnUIMp1nTQdKq5qtyvT

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

I've only experienced it vicariously through the fantastic and thorough LPer that is supergreatfriend: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2nnUCvaOet1PsMuAgRlBxB
The jank is part of the fun! (And admittedly a lot less frustrating when you're not the one playing.)

Bonus: he's currently working his way through Siren 2: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB22mxnUIMp1nTQdKq5qtyvT

That playthrough of Siren 2 is really good and making me very angry that the game never got an American release.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

That's exactly how I experienced it, too. Thank God for supergreatfriend. I'm waiting for him to finish Siren 2 before I start watching; being able to binge watch TV shows has ruined me on being able to wait for new episodes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Retro Futurist posted:

Not a thunderclap, but a Hitman mission has you time a shot to kill an actor during a stage play dress rehearsal - you have to shoot him right as the other actor fires their fake gun, using it to muffle your gunshot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The only thing I remember about Siren is that we made custom skins in some fighting game with pale skin and red eyes and called them "Shibito Joe" and "Sam Siren" and then never touched it again

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I really should work through the games I already have but I just bought GoT because of how much everyone’s been talking it up itt. Any tips for a beginner?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I really should work through the games I already have but I just bought GoT because of how much everyone’s been talking it up itt. Any tips for a beginner?

It's generally forgiving for letting you retry combat you fail on, but I grabbed the perk that directs you towards bamboo strikes, which lets you upgrade your resolve meter (healing + special combat moves) and found it extremely useful to hunt those down early on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

christmas boots posted:

Take it slow. Stand mostly still and let the enemies come to you. You can play the game as the sprint-around-bat-out-of-hell aggressive guy since there's no stamina management or anything, but you'll want to wait until you have some block breaking moves because enemies will just shrug you off otherwise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you walk slowly through the flowers Jin holds his hand out and runs them along the top :3:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I need to find a way to play that game, it's been so long but it was so good.

Wasn't 4 the one that was incredibly hard to find and thus incredibly expensive if you could?
The first four Suikoden games (but not the fifth :argh:) are all available digitally on the PSN now

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

If you walk slowly through the flowers Jin holds his hand out and runs them along the top :3:

He also leans over to do it while on horseback

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

christmas boots posted:

Put the Kurosawa filter on during the one on one duels and take it off when they’re over

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Push El Burrito posted:

This is a reference to Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

This is a reference to Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai

Which was a clear reference to Russell Crowe in Gladiator

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and I have to be honest I got a little misty eyed when I realized Elizabet made it home. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So hellpoint is a recent soulslike that despite its flaws i have grown to love, lots of hidden nooks and crannies to find stuff in, but the nice small touch is that it genuinely does some things better than dark souls and one of them is coop, aside from entering it. If the host dies in coop they don't kick the partner out, it just respawns both players and if the coop partner dies they can be rezzed. But the really nice thing is you can actually go to other areas in coop and keep your partner.

Its like they knew people like doing coop playthroughs and did what theu could to make it easy.