Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if larsa is enough to trip you up you need to play more jrpgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

He's not really portrayed as a child though, he's really just a small adult.

He does have a pretty formal way of speaking, but there's some scenes where his interactions with Vaan and Penelo make him seem more childish. He also has a rather innocent tendency to believe that his brother means well and does not intend to harm the people of Dalmasca.

Celery Face posted:

Guns are cool but drat are they weak in this game.

They're also basically the only way to get through a low-level game.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tae posted:

Kid characters are terrible unless they're written as adults

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oxxidation posted:

I thought Larsa was a girl until I heard him outright referred to as a prince. Though I cared less about his gender and more about his bottomless supply of Hi-Potions. You can be whatever you want as long as you keep that nectar flowing, kiddo.

They took out his bottomless potion arsenal out of IZJS :smith:

In fact, I'm pretty sure the bastard throws your poo poo instead

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I did really enjoy Vayne and Larsa's relationship, and I liked that Vayne's motivation was a lot less JRPG than pretty much any other final fantasy villain.

Schwartzcough posted:

FFXII is a bit more subtle with its storytelling than the rest of the series. So it might be easier to miss on a single play through, but pretty much everything you brought up is covered in the game. For example, Ashe is being affected in her decisions and behavior by the visions, but you have to pick it up from context, not because she declares "I'm going to do this because it's what the ghost of my husband wants."

I love 12, and pay of it is because it doesn't spell everything out.

I'm sorry, but can you provide an example of a scene where it's implied that Ashe is being affected by the ghosts? A scene that shows she's conflicted about the magical nukes before we actually find it?

Gamma Nerd posted:

She does tell Vaan! Her and Vaan are the characters who have the largest desires for revenge which is why the Occuria attempt to exercise control of their emotions through the ghosts.

I did have some vague recollection of the two talking about it. Good to know!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Point proven

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Celery Face posted:

Larsa is a good character but did anyone else mistake him for a girl when they first played the game? I feel like I'm not alone on this. Same goes for ditching Balthier's guns as soon as they could. Guns are cool but drat are they weak in this game.

I will never not read "rabanastrian" as "rastafarian."

Guns are supposed to make up for it by never missing, but they are still far too weak.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Gamma Nerd posted:

This is why the final sequence disappoints me so much, since Vayne basically becomes cartoonishly evil and gets glowing eyes and starts spouting lines about how "your lives are worthless".

Granted it's been a while since I played the game, but it could be argued that as far Vayne was concerned, they really were insignificant in his vision of mankind. Just a bunch of puppets dancing to the strings of the occuria, ya know, before they destroyed the sunstone., standing in his way and trying to maintain the status quo. Dude was still a bad guy, just not in a doomsday kind of way.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Point proven

:stare:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Point proven

what the gently caress did you just say

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

:smug:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Karanas posted:

Granted it's been a while since I played the game, but it could be argued that as far Vayne was concerned, they really were insignificant in his vision of mankind. Just a bunch of puppets dancing to the strings of the occuria, ya know, before they destroyed the sunstone., standing in his way and trying to maintain the status quo. Dude was still a bad guy, just not in a doomsday kind of way.

He also builds and commands a loving Death Star. I'd say that's pretty cartoonishly evil, even before he hulks out and gets flying swords.

Speaking of cartoonishly evil...

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 1, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

キサマ。。。

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Gamma Nerd posted:

He also builds and commands a loving Death Star. I'd say that's pretty cartoonishly evil, even before he hulks out and gets flying swords.

I think we have a different definition of cartoonish evil. I mean yes if he had the intention of using it on Dalmasca on something it could be called that. But as far as I remember it was more of a trump card in fleet engagements. A weapon of superior power to overwhelm the enemy. Maybe not the perfect comparison but would you call the US cartoonishly evil for building and using fleets of supercarriers?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Alright, fair point.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Gross.

NikkolasKing posted:

You're only referring to Episode 2, right? Because I though the voice-acting was pretty good in the others. It certainly be the last thing I complained about.

Any decent performances in Xenosaga were oases in a desert of flatly or melodramatically delivered garbage on par with your average forgettable low-budget anime. The small, shared pool of VA cast for JRPG's and anime doesn't help.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Karanas posted:

I think we have a different definition of cartoonish evil. I mean yes if he had the intention of using it on Dalmasca on something it could be called that. But as far as I remember it was more of a trump card in fleet engagements. A weapon of superior power to overwhelm the enemy. Maybe not the perfect comparison but would you call the US cartoonishly evil for building and using fleets of supercarriers?

He did intend to use the Bahamut to destroy Dalmasca. That's why he brought it there in the first place. It was a retaliation for the Marquis' continued attempts at revolt and allying with a foreign power.

Problem is, Dalmasca is just a poor nobody-nation stuck in the middle of the US and Soviet Union going at it. Nobody really cares about it apart from the people living there. Also Al-Cid and Larsa but that's as much for the sake of their own countries as much as Dalmasca's.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 4, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't agree with him but that's not exactly the counter example i would have gone for

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought the game was only all right, but Ellie from TLoU is a pretty good example of a believable and likable child.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd say the complete opposite of that is the case, kids are only good when they're actually kids and the game never expects me to treat them as anything but.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I'd be willing to bet they compressed the ever-living poo poo out of it to avoid having to go to another DVD.

I dunno why--iirc there's still a good amount of room on the disc.

e:

Celery Face posted:

I will never not read "rabanastrian" as "rastafarian."
No joke I would play Final Fantasy CDXX

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbh i barely even remember anything they do in that game so maybe you're right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
From my experience child characters usually end up just sort of being characters who are malleable to the story for any reason you need them to be and don't have to actually function like characters. That being said characters like Nanako, Ellie, and Clementine were all pretty good children characters because they acted like kids and didn't function as plot devices for the most part. Okay, Ellie was kind of a Macguffin in the end, but hey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked Elle from Tales of Xillia 2.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

As someone just playing through Xilia 2 for the first time I must say, I don't hate Elle at all, which is surprising because I expected to hate everything about her.

Xilia 2 is really weird though because it makes you feel like the 5th wheel since all the other PC's already had a huge world saving adventure together so they all know each otehr and are basically family.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kajeesus posted:

I'm sorry, but can you provide an example of a scene where it's implied that Ashe is being affected by the ghosts? A scene that shows she's conflicted about the magical nukes before we actually find it?

For example, there's the scene where you get the Sword of Kings, which is supposed to be capable of cutting nethicite. Balthier convinces Ashe to test it out on the Dusk Shard (I think) that was now inert after blowing up the Leviathan and its fleet. Ashe is reluctant to give up her nuke, even though it's basically powerless now, but she does agree to it. Ashe winds back, and Rasler's ghost shows up over the nethicite and shakes his head. Ashe hesitates, then brings the sword crashing down... several inches from the Dusk Shard. Ashe says something like "this is the sword. It can cut nethicite; I know it" to which Baltier quips "if it ever finds its mark..."

The whole game, Ashe becomes bent on obtaining Nethicite- first to prove her birthright, and then for the power itself. She's not just out to reestablish Dalmasca, but to get revenge on the Empire, and thinks that fighting power with power is the way to go. The rest of the party spends the whole game basically saying "and what are you going to do with the nethicite when you get it? Do you really plan to nuke the Empire? Would you want to, even if you could pull it off?" and she spends the whole time wavering between anger and vengeance, duty to her country, and the morality of using the nethicite as a weapon. The ghosts keep nudging her towards collecting and using the nethicite to avenge the fallen, and her party keeps nudging her towards not becoming a warmonger like the Empire she hates.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I hate child characters that act like children because I hate actual children, and do not play video games in order to deal with a 10 year old, in universe or out.

That said,

Endorph posted:

I second the motion. She was still obviously childish, but not enough like a child for me to want to strangle her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I hate child characters that act like children because I hate actual children, and do not play video games in order to deal with a 10 year old, in universe or out.

That said,

I second the motion. She was still obviously childish, but not enough like a child for me to want to strangle her.
i regret posting an opinion that you agree with, and am now going to go rethink my entire life

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schwartzcough posted:

For example, there's the scene where you get the Sword of Kings, which is supposed to be capable of cutting nethicite. Balthier convinces Ashe to test it out on the Dusk Shard (I think) that was now inert after blowing up the Leviathan and its fleet. Ashe is reluctant to give up her nuke, even though it's basically powerless now, but she does agree to it. Ashe winds back, and Rasler's ghost shows up over the nethicite and shakes his head. Ashe hesitates, then brings the sword crashing down... several inches from the Dusk Shard. Ashe says something like "this is the sword. It can cut nethicite; I know it" to which Baltier quips "if it ever finds its mark..."

The whole game, Ashe becomes bent on obtaining Nethicite- first to prove her birthright, and then for the power itself. She's not just out to reestablish Dalmasca, but to get revenge on the Empire, and thinks that fighting power with power is the way to go. The rest of the party spends the whole game basically saying "and what are you going to do with the nethicite when you get it? Do you really plan to nuke the Empire? Would you want to, even if you could pull it off?" and she spends the whole time wavering between anger and vengeance, duty to her country, and the morality of using the nethicite as a weapon. The ghosts keep nudging her towards collecting and using the nethicite to avenge the fallen, and her party keeps nudging her towards not becoming a warmonger like the Empire she hates.

FF12 has a lot of those stuff. Although it always confused me that after the Leviathan, they play a cutscene of the party finding the stone in the Highlands. I can only suggest that they intended to have you physically go through the area and quest for it, and then decided "We have padded that the gently caress out." so they repurposed the area as an end-game option area.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The scene being set in the Deadlands is supposed to be symbolic according to fans, but that's probably a justification for it not making any sense :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

i regret posting an opinion that you agree with, and am now going to go rethink my entire life

As you should. I have terrible opinions.

For example: Snow one of the more interesting members of the XIII cast.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Everyday is great at your Junes~"

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Friendly Factory posted:

I'M A HEROOOOO :byodood:

Well he has a goal, an outlook on life, and presses forward with those ideals, which is something none of the rest of the cast (even the antagonists) of XIII had. He's just sadly stuck in a story where hereos and villains didn't get to exist because even in the end you were just doing exactyl what the bad guy wanted in the first place. Snow seems like if you put him in FF5, 6, or 9 he'd would fit in fine, a little in between Bartz call to action heroics and Edgar's showmanship.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well he has a goal, an outlook on life, and presses forward with those ideals, which is something none of the rest of the cast (even the antagonists) of XIII had. He's just sadly stuck in a story where hereos and villains didn't get to exist because even in the end you were just doing exactyl what the bad guy wanted in the first place. Snow seems like if you put him in FF5, 6, or 9 he'd would fit in fine, a little in between Bartz call to action heroics and Edgar's showmanship.

Don't forget Locke's singleminded drive to save a girl in trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snow is not actually really a significantly different character from Locke. He's written in almost exactly the same vein and has lines which I'm fairly sure are intentionally supposed to remind players of Locke (or similar characters). The major difference is basically voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

which is troy baker, so it's always weird to me that people don't acknowledge that snow rules