Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

S.J. posted:

Any decent AoS novels that are good to start out with? Trying to avoid accidentally grabbing something with an extremely boring Stormcast main character.

Anthologies - Myths and Revenants has a lot of decent stuff and it does a good vertical slice through the universe.

I always support stuff like Dynasty of Monsters and Gloomspite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Wasn't Prospero basically a Psyker paradise world after Magnus showed up and helped kill all the Enslavers? It kinda sounds like the best way to handle the threat posed by Psykers is to pool resources together and act as a support network for one another.

Remember the Tutelaries, the Warp is playing nice while it's getting it's hooks in and waiting for the moment to reveal it's true nature.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Flytrap posted:

Wasn't Prospero basically a Psyker paradise world after Magnus showed up and helped kill all the Enslavers? It kinda sounds like the best way to handle the threat posed by Psykers is to pool resources together and act as a support network for one another.

Psychneuein aren't enslavers, fyi.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Psychneuein aren't enslavers, fyi.

Oh right, those are weird psychic wasps instead of weird psychic ticks.

Deptfordx posted:

Remember the Tutelaries, the Warp is playing nice while it's getting it's hooks in and waiting for the moment to reveal it's true nature.

I mean yeah I guess Tzeentch could have just been holding up a hand to the rest of Chaos going "Wait for it. Waiiiit for iiiiit."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Flytrap posted:

I mean yeah I guess Tzeentch could have just been holding up a hand to the rest of Chaos going "Wait for it. Waiiiit for iiiiit."

The Thousand Sons literally had Tzeenchian daemons hanging out with them, they were pretty much under his protection.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

Any decent AoS novels that are good to start out with? Trying to avoid accidentally grabbing something with an extremely boring Stormcast main character.

Good thing there's a book with an really cool Stormcast main character then, because the Hamilcar book and short stories are pretty much Ciaphas Cain in the Mortal Realms. As he gets through a lot of things with help of bluff and bluster, backed up my fighting prowess when needs be.
Really entertainingly written too in a similar style to the Cain books. But with less repeated phrases.

Then there's the Gotrek books. You should almost start with the audio dramas, just to hear BRIAN BLESSED playing the rule as the cranky old Slayer to perfection. But not really necessary otherwise.

Spear of Shadows is a bit old by now, but definitely written like an introduction to the setting. So good choice if you want get acquainted with the setting in a "Adventuring party traveling to exotic locations in search of the macguffin" way.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dont do spoken word audio because the format has given rise to fascism like 11 separate times so i dont wanna get in the habit of listening to audio spoken word poo poo - is there a written thing for the brian blessed audio drama anywhere?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

Good thing there's a book with an really cool Stormcast main character then, because the Hamilcar book and short stories are pretty much Ciaphas Cain in the Mortal Realms. As he gets through a lot of things with help of bluff and bluster, backed up my fighting prowess when needs be.
Really entertainingly written too in a similar style to the Cain books. But with less repeated phrases.

Then there's the Gotrek books. You should almost start with the audio dramas, just to hear BRIAN BLESSED playing the rule as the cranky old Slayer to perfection. But not really necessary otherwise.

Spear of Shadows is a bit old by now, but definitely written like an introduction to the setting. So good choice if you want get acquainted with the setting in a "Adventuring party traveling to exotic locations in search of the macguffin" way.

I would not support Spear of Shadows as while good book it leaves you wanting more and the story is unfinished.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Flytrap posted:

Enslavers are D&D Grell, but with GW suddenly panicking when they realised what model in the back catalogue they had used as a basis for them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i dont do spoken word audio because the format has given rise to fascism like 11 separate times so i dont wanna get in the habit of listening to audio spoken word poo poo - is there a written thing for the brian blessed audio drama anywhere?

If listening to Toby Longworth is wrong, I don't want to be right

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

yeah, no problem with blessed in and of itself, but i dont do that entire medium

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now that i thought about it 11 is an undercount

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

yeah, no problem with blessed in and of itself, but i dont do that entire medium

That seems pretty bass ackward. If 40k audiobooks are gonna turn you fash then the written books wouldn't be any better

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the medium is the message

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Guys, I regret to inform you that I just realized I'm a fascist because I listened to audiobooks of War and Peace and Moby Dick back in the day.

I knew there was something off all these years, I just couldn't put my finger on when it started!

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Are you on drugs or off drugs perscribed by a psychiatrist?

I don't say this to be mean, I'm saying your logic chain of audio book -> fascism is a nonsense idea and nobody can figure out what you're trying to say.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I have no idea about audio books turning you into fashist but there is an Realmslayer script to read

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What the gently caress are you talking about

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

OPAONI posted:

Are you on drugs or off drugs perscribed by a psychiatrist?

I don't say this to be mean, I'm saying your logic chain of audio book -> fascism is a nonsense idea and nobody can figure out what you're trying to say.

the top 5 political radio shows in america are all to a one fascists. hannity, levin, beck, gallagher, loesch. of the ostensibly nonpolitical ones, you get insane conservative whoppers on the regular. top podcast in america is joe rogan. similar stories for other countries. i understand audiobooks are different but i believe only marginally. i dont do spoken word at all, including audiobooks

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

That is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read in at least 48 hours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

the top 5 political radio shows in america are all to a one fascists. hannity, levin, beck, gallagher, loesch. of the ostensibly nonpolitical ones, you get insane conservative whoppers on the regular. top podcast in america is joe rogan. similar stories for other countries. i understand audiobooks are different but i believe only marginally. i dont do spoken word at all, including audiobooks
This is either a bit or you should consider talking to a mental health professional.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

These forums rule so hard.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
So audiobooks are techno heresy that taints you with fash corruption?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Info wars swaying a populace to chaos worship

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Immediately doing the Commissar's Duty to myself because I listened to an emergency broadcast

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's just no format thats as outrageously lopsided in politics anywhere as spoken word, thats the thing. podcasts also

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's why I only listen to the Voice Of The Anarch (Who's Word Drowns Out All Others)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

There is no sense, reason or meaning in what you're trying to say, peeps, but do go on because it's certainly entertaining.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Dammit, I knew Shatner's albums were evil, but I didn't realize this evil

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Audio formats got me insurrecting all over the dang place

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Behind the bastards and old gods of appalachia turned me into nazi

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Behind the bastards and old gods of appalachia turned me into nazi

footnotes compared to joe rogan and ben shapiro, unfortunately

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Mike and Tom eat snacks made me punch out the mayor of Calais.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Voice on the bus said where we were and I immediately decided to storm the Norwegian capitol. We don't really have that though so I started climbing the first building I saw.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Facebook, youtube and other popular webbed sites actively promote fascists and are directly responsible for a significant amount of radicalization. Is the internet any different? I would think only marginally.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dont use facebook or youtube either

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The written word is even worse! Did you know that Hitler wrote a book once? The medium is the message so we shouldn't read anymore.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

The written word is even worse! Did you know that Hitler wrote a book once? The medium is the message so we shouldn't read anymore.

the top 10 political books of all time do not have 9 fascist entrants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

i dont use facebook or youtube either

You use Something Awful

Spoken word : Audiobooks
Internet : Something Awful