Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the color sensor costs nintendo $15 to put inside of each joycon and that's why they cost so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Oh that explains why mine were purple and green! Why does Nintendo keep track of the colour of the joycons, it's such a weird thing to program into the hardware

It was namely so the Switch menu UI could keep track of it and not have the colors mismatch whenever you went into controller settings.

Turns out games can also look at the controller data as well and that's how you get some of those Easter eggs in some games.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Pokémon Arceus any good? I’ve never played a Pokémon game

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't believe anyone about the joycon thing. My actual switch is an original model with gray joycons, but the game seems to think I have a switch "with a bigger screen" with white joycons.

Unless they wanna send me a Switch OLED to match? :o

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

It's good, but it's also not like any other Pokemon game. A lot of the context of the story will be kinda lost on you if you haven't played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl though, but story is not Game Freak's strong suit anyway.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

sponges posted:

It's not really a pokemon game, because instead of battling all the time you're catching pokemon directly with balls and battling occasionally.
So your mileage may vary. I'd say get Let's Go Eevee or Brilliant Diamond for cheap to see if you would commit to a game about catching dudes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Framboise posted:

I don't believe anyone about the joycon thing. My actual switch is an original model with gray joycons, but the game seems to think I have a switch "with a bigger screen" with white joycons.

Look I didn't say that part was different, just the colors

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

Yeah mine too. I was like, bigger screen? IDK about that. Though mine is original with red/blue

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PowerBeard posted:

It's not really a pokemon game, because instead of battling all the time you're catching pokemon directly with balls and battling occasionally.
So your mileage may vary. I'd say get Let's Go Eevee or Brilliant Diamond for cheap to see if you would commit to a game about catching dudes.

I genuinely recommend Sword or Shield; it's not as bad as people make it out to be, honestly, aside from the toilet paper quality plot-- and it gives you a better idea of what the modern games feel like as a whole.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Framboise posted:

It does that while playing docked for some reason

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ow, my Pokeballs

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sponges posted:

Get the one that interests you the most but I think you should ask yourself what you want from a game. I've got nostalgia for the original games but having played Sword when it came out on a friend's insistence to "Catch them all", I quickly realized that I had wholly outgrown the series. I couldn't really find any creature that clicked super well even if I had my favorites. The gameplay is brain-dead easy, which is fine for some but honestly, I wanted something a bit tougher. Plot is dumb but that's fine if you can tolerate it. Pokémon's never been "exploration-based" till maybe Arceus or the new one it would seem, but it's rather on the rails.

You get it if you like collecting things, or if somehow one of the creatures captures your heart and you want to die for it. It's not a very in-depth team-building game aside from high level irl competitive battles, which I never tried, but some people swear by it. It's not an in-depth RPG by any stretch of the imagination. It's popular with children for obvious reasons, and it can be a very chill low-stakes adventure otherwise, but I just found it to be a boring timesink. And that's on me. I think there's things in the series for people obviously, but you should know what you want or are asking for before getting it.

I still intend on trading Skyward Sword for New Pokémon Snap however, I really liked the N64 game and that sort of puzzle/photo thing seems appealing. People said it was grindy though (but very good), is that true and does it feel that way? I remember my initial visual disappointment was feeling like the pokémon didn't really act like animals, but rather like they were trying to get photographed which I think is unfortunate but whatever. Who knows when I'll get around to doing that though... I usually have one physical game that I trade in for another one with a mostly digital library. I plan on playing Mario 3D World like this someday... just don't know when.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/munosnail/status/1594292538898321414

Zero people QA'd this game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Get the one that interests you the most but I think you should ask yourself what you want from a game. I've got nostalgia for the original games but having played Sword when it came out on a friend's insistence to "Catch them all", I quickly realized that I had wholly outgrown the series. I couldn't really find any creature that clicked super well even if I had my favorites. The gameplay is brain-dead easy, which is fine for some but honestly, I wanted something a bit tougher. Plot is dumb but that's fine if you can tolerate it. Pokémon's never been "exploration-based" till maybe Arceus or the new one it would seem, but it's rather on the rails.

You get it if you like collecting things, or if somehow one of the creatures captures your heart and you want to die for it. It's not a very in-depth team-building game aside from high level irl competitive battles, which I never tried, but some people swear by it. It's not an in-depth RPG by any stretch of the imagination. It's popular with children for obvious reasons, and it can be a very chill low-stakes adventure otherwise, but I just found it to be a boring timesink. And that's on me. I think there's things in the series for people obviously, but you should know what you want or are asking for before getting it.

I still intend on trading Skyward Sword for New Pokémon Snap however, I really liked the N64 game and that sort of puzzle/photo thing seems appealing. People said it was grindy though (but very good), is that true and does it feel that way? I remember my initial visual disappointment was feeling like the pokémon didn't really act like animals, but rather like they were trying to get photographed which I think is unfortunate but whatever. Who knows when I'll get around to doing that though... I usually have one physical game that I trade in for another one with a mostly digital library. I plan on playing Mario 3D World like this someday... just don't know when.

new Pokemon Snap is really grindy, you need to play levels over and over again to unlock the next ones for some reason. I get they didn't want it to be a 30-minute game like the original but I don't think this weird structure was the best alternative

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

it's easy to find yourself overlevelled in pokemon but scarlet/violet give you so many ways to go and so many lil dudes to catch that if you want to avoid steamrolling the whole game you can just put some of your newer lil dudes in your pocket and use them instead. and you can change them out literally anywhere! it's nice

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

new Pokemon Snap is really grindy, you need to play levels over and over again to unlock the next ones for some reason. I get they didn't want it to be a 30-minute game like the original but I don't think this weird structure was the best alternative

The original had stuff like that too. Are you at least doing or trying to accomplish new objectives on each replay? I don't expect the game to have a ton of stages but rather detailed ones with different ways to interact with the creatures opening new opportunities. It's a different design choice but not inherently bad.

Unless it's just "Play the stage X times" to get to the next level, that's dumb, but I guess it being on rails you can just let it run itself until you meet the expectation?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That owns actually.

Looking forward to speedruns having four sets of controllers paired at all times.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Just like Mega Man 3!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Why does Nintendo keep track of the colour of the joycons, it's such a weird thing to program into the hardware
It's helpful when your playing a multiplayer game with four (or more) joycons of different colors. You can easily tell which joycon is assigned to which numbered player.

You can also look at the LEDs on the joycons themselves too, but with kids it's easier to just know which ones they "should" have.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

the best £0 i ever spent was on thsi game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The original had stuff like that too. Are you at least doing or trying to accomplish new objectives on each replay? I don't expect the game to have a ton of stages but rather detailed ones with different ways to interact with the creatures opening new opportunities. It's a different design choice but not inherently bad.

Unless it's just "Play the stage X times" to get to the next level, that's dumb, but I guess it being on rails you can just let it run itself until you meet the expectation?

You are in fact trying to accomplish new stuff every time. There's a ton of stuff going on in every stage.

New Pokemon Snap is way better in every aspect compared to the original. If you liked the original at all New Snap is an incredible game.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

God drat the joycons are such trash. My second pair gets like 1 hour of battery life. I’ve had them for less then a year. The one my switch came with has that awful drift :argh:

I’ll probably skip on the series if that’s the case. I didn’t know they were so simple.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sponges posted:

I’ll probably skip on the series if that’s the case. I didn’t know they were so simple.

They're real simple. I don't think anyone plays it for the gameplay, but rather for the collecting addiction and for the cute critters. If neither of those things interests you then I'd suggest you continue to pass it by. Legit story game can often boil down to, select strongest monster (maybe play with elemental weaknesses if you're feeling clever) and then choose the strongest move. Again and again. Elemental differences lets you punch higher than you could otherwise, and don't expect that AI to be particularly compelling. Again it's a beginner RPG and there's nothing wrong with that.

Like Kirby is easy as pie, but it's so full of charm and good game design that it's a delight to play even if it poses 0 challenge.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

You are in fact trying to accomplish new stuff every time. There's a ton of stuff going on in every stage.

New Pokemon Snap is way better in every aspect compared to the original. If you liked the original at all New Snap is an incredible game.

I'll definitely pick it up as a trade-in one of these days. Can't say when, but eventually for sure.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

sponges posted:

God drat the joycons are such trash. My second pair gets like 1 hour of battery life. I’ve had them for less then a year. The one my switch came with has that awful drift :argh:

When Guilikit releases their Hall effect joycon sticks I’m putting them in immediately so I don’t have to worry about drift for a goood while

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Really trying to enjoy the new pokémon game but everything just feels like it runs slower than it should

Why is the camera so slow everywhere lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've been thinking of getting third party joycons because I can't stand how the stock ones feel. I want ones with gyro and wireless so the Hori is out. What's a good alternative these days?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can get a ton of complexity out of pokemon but only in multiplayer competitive stuff, the ai in the game is not remotely tuned or designed to give you any real challenge

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
What the hell are these cutscenes hahaha it's like intentionally lovely Garys mod poo poo. In terms of tone, does it feel even kiddier than other pokémon games or were they always this lame

Ughhh this game sucks, going to play for a few hours then I'm going to tell my friends it was not for me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Quote is not edit

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
final cutscene running like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

What the hell are these cutscenes hahaha it's like intentionally lovely Garys mod poo poo. In terms of tone, does it feel even kiddier than other pokémon games or were they always this lame

Ughhh this game sucks, going to play for a few hours then I'm going to tell my friends it was not for me

it rules actually

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

you can get a ton of complexity out of pokemon but only in multiplayer competitive stuff, the ai in the game is not remotely tuned or designed to give you any real challenge

anyone who play s pokemong ames multiplayer competitively shoudl be preemptively arrested

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hoping I warm up to it. But yeah, they keep stopping me every five steps and the transitions between battle/ cutscenes/ overworld exploration are so bizarre and feels like dogshit along w the horrendous framerates. SMTV is the picture of stability compared to the performance here

Some random fellow student just gifted me this clearly legendary god like pokémon? Lame and dumb. Yw game freak for the 60 bux I guess

E: lol this student girl sidekick character keeps throwing in Spanish words " let's head that way, vamos!" "Great effort, amigo!"

Cursed game

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 20, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Hoping I warm up to it. But yeah, they keep stopping me every five steps and the transitions between battle/ cutscenes/ overworld exploration are so bizarre and feels like dogshit along w the horrendous framerates. SMTV is the picture of stability compared to the performance here

Some random fellow student just gifted me this clearly legendary god like pokémon? Lame and dumb. Yw game freak for the 60 bux I guess

Congrats on making it a whole five minutes into the game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Congrats on making it a whole five minutes into the game

Oh does the performance improve and do cutscenes get better as you progress? That's good to hear!

American McGay posted:

It’s a bike you absolute idiot lmfao. You’ve been doomposting about how much you hate this kids game for pages now and you’re only like 1 hour in?

Yes, the first impressions of this game are terrible. Do you usually play games that give you horrible first impressions?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s a bike you absolute idiot lmfao. You’ve been doomposting about how much you hate this kids game for pages now and you’re only like 1 hour in?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
you can simply turn it off and play a mature game for adults, like dark souls

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

E: lol this student girl sidekick character keeps throwing in Spanish words " let's head that way, vamos!" "Great effort, amigo!"

Cursed game

didnt realise i opened up reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

you can simply turn it off and play a mature game for adults, like dark souls

Yeah gettin back to Rogue Legacy 2 in a bit, just trying to give my dumb new purchase a fair shake. I really do think the performance is egregiously bad this time around