Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Heh, Jasiek and rec.games.go. Those are some memories, though I wouldn't call the flame wars I engaged in back when particularly pleasant. Can't say that I miss it.

David Carlton's comment about the density of Sakata's MIddle Game of Go is spot on. It's a good book, but it's *rough*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Fairly certain those Ishi Press editions could go for much more on Ebay

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Okay, I'm getting a little annoyed now, so please forgive this brief rant.

How the gently caress do I get a loving rank on kgs as a beginner? The only people so far who have been willing to play a ranked game against me, ALSO HAVE NO RANK. Everyone else insists on making it a free or teaching game, and so no rank is given to me. Because I have no rank, I find it incredibly hard to get games. If I want to play, I have to dedicate several HOURS in my day to it, most of which will be WAITING AROUND.

:argh:

I wish I could push a button and just have it assign me 30k or something like it, and let me then play games to work up from there. I'd be FINE with that. I don't want an epeen, I just want to see how I'm doing, if I'm improving, and most of all, to actually PLAY.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
You can just play some rated games on itgo in that case. You'll probably get trashed, if you're a beginner, but you'll get a rank.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Iunnrais posted:

Okay, I'm getting a little annoyed now, so please forgive this brief rant.

How the gently caress do I get a loving rank on kgs as a beginner? The only people so far who have been willing to play a ranked game against me, ALSO HAVE NO RANK. Everyone else insists on making it a free or teaching game, and so no rank is given to me. Because I have no rank, I find it incredibly hard to get games. If I want to play, I have to dedicate several HOURS in my day to it, most of which will be WAITING AROUND.

:argh:

I wish I could push a button and just have it assign me 30k or something like it, and let me then play games to work up from there. I'd be FINE with that. I don't want an epeen, I just want to see how I'm doing, if I'm improving, and most of all, to actually PLAY.
Go to the beginner's room or to the ranking room.
Then post a ranked game there, and ask in the chat.
Or play one of the ranking bots there.

Or if you had no ranked games yet, you can set your rank estimate to 10k-15k and turn on the automatch.

I think unranked players get more games then 25k.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Bots.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I got a strange and kinda sad message on KGS today. Apparently I was the last game of a long time KGS user before he died. So his friend messaged me and wanted to know if I remembered any details about the game so he could know what his friend was thinking and saying in the last hours before he died. The funny thing is the game did stand out in my mind because the guy got really mad at me for playing what he said was a dan-level player opening even though I was 13k. I thought it was a funny thing to get upset about because he actually won the game by 30 points or so even with a 2 stone handicap. So obviously I wasn't trying to pull anything, but he could not get over my opening and brought it up like 5-6 times in the review.

R.I.P agitated KGS homie -- hope my moves didn't put the nail in the coffin

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Baduk makes me so mad sometimes, that's a really fitting way to go. :rip:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

I got a strange and kinda sad message on KGS today. Apparently I was the last game of a long time KGS user before he died. So his friend messaged me and wanted to know if I remembered any details about the game so he could know what his friend was thinking and saying in the last hours before he died. The funny thing is the game did stand out in my mind because the guy got really mad at me for playing what he said was a dan-level player opening even though I was 13k. I thought it was a funny thing to get upset about because he actually won the game by 30 points or so even with a 2 stone handicap. So obviously I wasn't trying to pull anything, but he could not get over my opening and brought it up like 5-6 times in the review.

I checked that game and it didn't seem like a convincing opening to me.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

I checked that game and it didn't seem like a convincing opening to me.

Yeah I didn't think it was anything special, which is why him being so upset about it was so funny to me.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Here lies KGS guy, killed by a 13k. RIP

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Borachon posted:

Heh, Jasiek and rec.games.go. Those are some memories, though I wouldn't call the flame wars I engaged in back when particularly pleasant. Can't say that I miss it.

David Carlton's comment about the density of Sakata's MIddle Game of Go is spot on. It's a good book, but it's *rough*.

Yeah, that's been my read recently and it is dense as hell.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

KGS is fine once you get in, assuming you play on a regular basis. The ranking system and the attitude of the userbase are both complete bullshit if you are a beginner or just want to play a casual game once in a while. It isn't just for beginners though. I'm a dan player and I avoid KGS because if I take a few months off I get a [?] and then even if I tell people want my rank it takes an unreasonable length of time to find someone willing to play me.

xopods fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 17, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

That's a hosed up story. :(

Yet another reason not to play with Ing rules.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

OGS got a big update today, most notably interface improvements. Excited to see where things are going to be in a few years, they need to start getting the dan players in now

Also, seperate ratings for the different game speeds!

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 18, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i can't understand how your rating would vary between correspondence and live. maybe with blitz, since that seems sort of a different skill and you have to build up instinct like that independently of just having skill of the game. It will be interesting to see if there will be noticeable difference between live and correspondence rankings, though. I don't think there will be.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yes but cool graphs

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

Yes but cool graphs

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I must have somehow screwed up on OGS. Anyway, it allowed me to remash the apply to SA button.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

i can't understand how your rating would vary between correspondence and live. maybe with blitz, since that seems sort of a different skill and you have to build up instinct like that independently of just having skill of the game. It will be interesting to see if there will be noticeable difference between live and correspondence rankings, though. I don't think there will be.

You don't understand how having effectively unlimited time to do research, play with variations, etc. would benefit some players more than others?

I am, for instance, utter poo poo at reading (compared to other guys my level) and tesuji and so forth, but very good on the strategic level. I'm therefore way stronger in correspondence games (if I can resist the urge to make impulsive moves while drunk) than live, whereas a strongish fighting-oriented player will beat me more often than not with live time settings, since most of the time I will eventually do something tactically stupid because I can't read the situation out properly.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hmm, good point. i never assumed people actually took days or even hours to think about a move in a correspondence game. I spend at the very extreme maybe ten minutes actually thinking about any one move. I suppose certain people would be better at researching the exact right move than others are.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

comaerror posted:

I must have somehow screwed up on OGS. Anyway, it allowed me to remash the apply to SA button.

Could you re-try now?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Alrighty, hit it again.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

You should be added friend!!!!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
been playing a bit on pandanet because they have a tablet app. when looking for people at my level to challenge, there are quite a few with over 5000 games, and a couple i saw with over 20k. How can you play that many games and still be 10 kyu?? do some people just have a max skill level?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

been playing a bit on pandanet because they have a tablet app. when looking for people at my level to challenge, there are quite a few with over 5000 games, and a couple i saw with over 20k. How can you play that many games and still be 10 kyu?? do some people just have a max skill level?

They just don't care about improving. I've been making food for many years yet I still suck at it. Does that mean i'm a dumb person?

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 20, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

I've been 4-5k for two years and I even read books on this poo poo. Suffice to say some people, most people, are not naturals

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Everyone's got a skill cap, yeah, it just varies from person to person. In fact, once you've hit it, you'll get worse with age, although very gradually. If you go to a live club, the middle-aged guys are generally what everyone uses to establish their own ranks, because their skill level no longer changes. E.g. at the McGill Go Club, back when that existed, Tibor was a firm 1d, Steve was a firm 2d, etc. When I first came to the club I had to take Black against Steve and was about even with Tibor. So I was 1d myself. Two years later, I was giving two stones to Steve and three to Tibor, so I was 4d. Two years after that, though, I was still giving them the same handicap, as I'd hit my own limit at that point. It gradually became apparent to me that I was just never going to make it to 5d.

Oddly, I've met more older Asian guys who are permanent SDKs than westerners, most of whom plateau around the low dans, like Steve and Tibor. I imagine the reason is that most Westerners only get into Go seriously enough to reach their own plateau if they've got some natural instinct for it, everyone else quits... whereas Go is a big part of Chinese, Korean and Japanese culture, so you probably get more people continuing to play even if they simply aren't very good at it.

xopods fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 20, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i didn't mean to say anyone was dumb, and i understand im not going to be able to improve forever. It just seems like after 20k games, that amount of experience alone should land someone higher than 10kyu. I guess it doesnt really work like that thought.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

i didn't mean to say anyone was dumb, and i understand im not going to be able to improve forever. It just seems like after 20k games, that amount of experience alone should land someone higher than 10kyu. I guess it doesnt really work like that thought.

I used to think everyone could get to sdk. My skill cap is 15k by the way.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
-_- but you were at 7k last i checked.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

-_- but you were at 7k last i checked.

Beating prodigious at 9H is my greatest achievement so that puta me at about 5k; I really want to try again at 8H.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

khel i thought you were SDK?

I just had a bash at the OGS tournament system which is now live, did a Blitz 13x13 for shits and giggles and came second (there was only one Dan-level player so its kinda hollow), but I get a cool trophy on my profile which is sweet

So I was thinking, now that OGS has a functioning tourney system, we should have a SOMETHINGAWFUL SECURITIES CUP and get all the old ITGO dan players out of the woodwork. However I don't know what is the best tournament setup to go with, I think correspondence is natural but I don't want the playtime to be too long because nobody will finish their games

ALTERNATIVELY, does anyone want to meet up and 'co-op' a tournament together, troll opponents, etc? there's a tournament of each type every 4 hours (see schedule tab) https://online-go.com/tournaments

thoughts on the back of a postcard pls

po box 69
oiseauxtown
france

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 20, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Just beat someone I lost to 5 times in a row by 4.5 points. There was a ko for the life of my corner he didn't play because he thought he was winning even though it was a Hanami ko and I had 0 threats. :v:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://eidogo.com/#1EnC2OG8T

where was my losing move? I thought it was 158, and im still pretty sure that's a bad move, but after a bit of looking i couldn't find anywhere else that would have saved me at that point. so it was probably an earlier move. or maybe i should have just let him live and tried to make the bottom big enough?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

where was my losing move? I thought it was 158, and im still pretty sure that's a bad move, but after a bit of looking i couldn't find anywhere else that would have saved me at that point. so it was probably an earlier move. or maybe i should have just let him live and tried to make the bottom big enough?

:frogsiren: 5K SO EVERYTHING IS SAY SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A PINCH OF SALT UNTIL XOPODS TELLS ME WHY I'M WRONG.:frogsiren:

For W10 I might F5.
For W12 I might E17. Note black's enclosure isn't a proper 4-4 enclosure and you can still 3-3 and other stuff.
Black 21 looks terrible for white. Instead of W16 you could try wedging, and instead of W18 you may have to block.
For W 22 I could consider J15 since all black has is a stick and maybe one eye at the edge.
I wouldn't W34 if I were you, the sequence up to B41 just helped black immensely. Just focus on surrounding him.
W54 - Horrible, broken rear end shape for W.
Instead of W98, maybe play P7 or O10; I think there's better ideas than just fighting with the one stone.
W104 - R5 is small, but be on the look for it in times where those 2 stones are too important for Black to give up. (Like if they were cutting.) I think at 11k he would defend them.
Black 111 at Q14 is an idea to disrupt your shape instead of helping you.
W116 - you have a moyo in the centre. gently caress the one stone. I like how you're able to cut him though.
W136 at N13 is better. He's already surrounded by white, you just need to prevent eyes and make sure he can't capture anything.
Yes W158 is probably THE if any losing move.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thanks khel!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

AdorableStar posted:

:frogsiren: 5K SO EVERYTHING IS SAY SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A PINCH OF SALT UNTIL XOPODS TELLS ME WHY I'M WRONG.:frogsiren:

Looks like J9 works to kill at 158 instead of what you played. Prevents G11 from making it a semeai and blocks just enough eyespace to prevent two eyes.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

From a dan perspective, move 18 is probably the game-loser.

From an SDK perspective, it's probably move 34.

At DDK level, anything can happen, so it's hard to talk about any move being a game-loser, but certainly by move 64 you've screwed things up badly enough that you're relying on your opponent to commit a massive blunder in order to win.

Here are some comments: http://eidogo.com/#3RCaeoRYR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

LOL, I didn't actually look past 117 until looking at Khel's comments. I guess I should have, since B promptly lets you right back in AGAIN.

Here are some further comments (same as the last one I posted up to 117 but then continuing).

http://eidogo.com/#PPmZjiL9:0,0