Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
The major damage was to my credit card, but the result will be more work on my bikes. I ordered a carb sync tool, adapters, aux fuel tank, and air cleaner today. I think I'm getting some vibration in the R6 and it is definitely the engine and not the wheels/chain/whatever. The bike now has nearly 7,000 miles on it and its never had a carb sync, so I might as well give it a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Crayvex posted:

The major damage was to my credit card, but the result will be more work on my bikes. I ordered a carb sync tool, adapters, aux fuel tank, and air cleaner today. I think I'm getting some vibration in the R6 and it is definitely the engine and not the wheels/chain/whatever. The bike now has nearly 7,000 miles on it and its never had a carb sync, so I might as well give it a try!

what carb sync tool did you get?
manometer? gauges?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what carb sync tool did you get?
manometer? gauges?

Carbtune which is a manometer. I'm not using Emgo stuff if I can avoid it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Crayvex posted:

Carbtune which is a manometer. I'm not using Emgo stuff if I can avoid it.

the morgan carbtune? yeesh those things are expensive.
did you get a mercury one?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Welp the 636 bogged out again and stalled on the highway today. Started up ten minutes later and rode another 15 miles to my house, so at least I can get farther than I was before.

If anyone knows where I can get an ECU for an 05 Ninja ZX6r, let me know!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What exhaust are you running with? Does it matter?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Maybe it does. Read through that thread if you are that worried. I reread it and found the guy who located the ecu cut the battery tray out, which I didn't so I'm gonna try that and see if it gives it more breathing room.

In reference to stock exhausts you might be ok anyway.

quote:

Not all 05-06 636's have these problems but if you have a Slip-On or Full Exhaust System, you may experience these problems. The Stock midpipe has a built in heatshield and the aftermarket systems don't. You can remove the stock heatshield and install it on the aftermarket midpipe or wrap it. There's a reason the factory put the heatshield there.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

infraboy posted:

I don't notice any exhaust heat on the 636 with the stock undertail exhaust.

I've only read of it happening with Yamaha R1s and Ducatis.

Ceramicoating them would probably help a little bit

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I had to remove the Vino's cylinder to extract a broken exhaust bolt. While apart, I checked the piston for wear and it has a nice even coating of carbon on it and no scuffing. After lord knows how many previous owners, that's a relief.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Welp this is why we can't have nice things.

After just a week of ownership my dad managed to knock over my gsx-r 1000 in the garage, bikes never been dropped before this. I'm so loving pissed. He broke off the rubber end of the shifter so it's basically un-ridable until I get a new one. loving awesome.

Some cosmetic damage to the front fairing, side fairing is unscathed thank god PO put frame sliders on, nice scratch on the tail section.

He must have knocked it over trying to get the GS500 out or putting it back into the garage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

infraboy posted:

After just a week of ownership my dad managed to knock over my gsx-r 1000 in the garage, bikes never been dropped before this. I'm so loving pissed. He broke off the rubber end of the shifter so it's basically un-ridable until I get a new one. loving awesome.

Some cosmetic damage to the front fairing, side fairing is unscathed thank god PO put frame sliders on, nice scratch on the tail section.

He must have knocked it over trying to get the GS500 out or putting it back into the garage.

Solution: Sell one of your 5 motorcycles and move out of your parents home.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saves you the trouble of doing it yourself!

Plus you'll be less angry now when you come back out to it after leaving it unattended and all the plastics have been stripped off of it and there is a screw driver where your key used to be.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

infraboy posted:

You could reach down and suicide shift it... That way it's not un-ridable?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

You could reach down and suicide shift it... That way it's not un-ridable?

Goddamn, functionality AND hipster cred. Genius!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It does close to 100 mph in 1st anyway so why bother shifting?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
yes the bike does 90+ in first gear so theoretically I can just ride around in first!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rebuilt the carb on the NX125 with a rebuild kit. It now runs pretty drat good. Instead of topping out at 45 and stumbling at WOT I hit 60 and WOT it runs great...mid throttle needs a little work though.

SV felt weird again on the ride home from work...low pressure again. Guess I get to put a new tire on tomorrow and pay retail prices because Dad arrives tomorrow and we are riding in the mountains Friday.

May attempt riding to work (25mi) on the NX tomorrow...think I'll leave a bit earlier than normal.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
I took my engine out today. Just rolled over to 14,000 after I put my first 500 miles ever on my first bike. The engine had a tick before, but as I was turning onto my street the other day, something snapped and now it is like a metal-on-metal orgy inside the block. Shavings in the oil, so I figure something is wrong in the crankcase. Compression is still good with 149 and 152 in the cylinders. I took all afternoon today cleaning it up, and taking out the engine, but now I have no idea what to do. Obviously I can work my way with a wrench, but where do I look to now?

http://i.imgur.com/0UTgg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gImhf.jpg

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You open up the block and find out what needs to be replaced, measure everything that is suspect. Be prepared to split the case if necessary.

You can look around the web and see if other people have had similar problems with your bike to narrow down searches.

Whatever it is, it is not going to be cheap or easy to fix and you might end up in a place where a new (new to you) engine is cheaper than repair.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SeeYouEnTee posted:

Obviously I can work my way with a wrench, but where do I look to now?

Take the head cover off, might very well be a snapped cam chain. You'll need to split the cases anyway to see what damage is done, but that would give you the diagnosis anyway.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Take the head cover off, might very well be a snapped cam chain. You'll need to split the cases anyway to see what damage is done, but that would give you the diagnosis anyway.

Cam chain was my first thought too, could just be a collapsed cam chain tensioner.

Sounded like a bag of spanners when the tensioner went on my 690 :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SeeYouEnTee posted:

I took my engine out today. Just rolled over to 14,000 after I put my first 500 miles ever on my first bike. The engine had a tick before, but as I was turning onto my street the other day, something snapped and now it is like a metal-on-metal orgy inside the block. Shavings in the oil, so I figure something is wrong in the crankcase. Compression is still good with 149 and 152 in the cylinders. I took all afternoon today cleaning it up, and taking out the engine, but now I have no idea what to do. Obviously I can work my way with a wrench, but where do I look to now?

http://i.imgur.com/0UTgg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gImhf.jpg

The spark plug(s) weren't loose, were they?

Besides that, I'd put my bet on CCT failing.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bought new exhaust gaskets. $7 a pop and those are online prices.

I don't even really know what the hell an exhaust gasket is but I'm re-installing the stock exhaust and everyone says they should be replaced once they're old and worn. First time doing any type of exhaust work coming up, should be interesting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

kylej posted:

Bought new exhaust gaskets. $7 a pop and those are online prices.

I don't even really know what the hell an exhaust gasket is but I'm re-installing the stock exhaust and everyone says they should be replaced once they're old and worn. First time doing any type of exhaust work coming up, should be interesting.

You might have to chisel the old ones out of your head, they like to get stuck in there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PokeJoe posted:

You might have to chisel the old ones out of your head, they like to get stuck in there.

they'll bend pretty easily, if there's a lip exposed just yank with pliers, if not get a thin screwdriver around teh edge of the gasket and pry outward.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Today I mounted my phone on my bike to use GPS and discovered that at 100km/h, my bikes speedometer is 20km/h fast, reading 120km/h. No wonder I'm always getting passed.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Clank posted:

Today I mounted my phone on my bike to use GPS and discovered that at 100km/h, my bikes speedometer is 20km/h fast, reading 120km/h. No wonder I'm always getting passed.

That's a 20% error, what the hey. Way too high, I reckon.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Well gently caress. I got a screw in my rear tyre.

sigh, at least it was close to being replaced instead of new.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

KARMA! posted:

You open up the block and find out what needs to be replaced, measure everything that is suspect. Be prepared to split the case if necessary.
Thanks, I'm looking at a used engine to get me up and running and then digging into the old one for a possible rebuild/learning experience.

Z3n posted:

The spark plug(s) weren't loose, were they?
Besides that, I'd put my bet on CCT failing.
Nope, spark plugs were relatively new (500 miles in about 2 weeks of riding), but they were pretty black (soot?) when i pulled them.

Ola posted:

Took the head off before I took the engine out, cam chain seems good, at least intact. I need a set of feeler gauges to measure my shims before I really dig into this thing.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Cam chain was my first thought too, could just be a collapsed cam chain tensioner.

Sounded like a bag of spanners when the tensioner went on my 690 :(

Thats exactly what it sounds like, although there is an oil leak coming from the front of the lower block. I thought maybe I'd thrown a connecting rod or something.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I'm sure going to need some advice when I get ready to crack this thing open. An oil hemmorage at the front of the block mean anything specific? Also someone told me I was probably over-revving the bike while riding, but I'm not sure what over-revving means. I don't red line it, but I'm not shifting at 3k either...

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

Not strictly "to your ride"...

Had a breakthrough tonight with my TIG practice. I got tired of releasing radioactive dust in my garage by grinding thoriated tungsten, so I picked up a few lanthanated tungstens. Then I stumbled across a diagram showing how you need to flatten the tip of the ground point for steel welding. Holy poo poo- I can actually control the heat on 22ga sheet metal now! My bead on 22ga is ugly, but working on the low setting really allows me to make a tiny puddle, even near the to-be-welded joint, and just work it around until things start to come together.

This practice is eventually going to be used to fix the crack in the eggshell-thin header pipe of the R100GS. It seems to be around the thickness of 22ga, but the cracked area has probably eroded to something less than that.

I'm so full of poo poo. A coworker found a precision welding shop like a mile from our office; they did his cracked custom R1 muffler for $35. This afternoon they fixed my header for $20. The dude at the shop said he might have even built the system on my bike in the mid 90s, as I have a Supertrapp and he fabbed R100GS Supertrapp systems back in the 90s; he even owns an '89 GS. It's possible, I contacted the previous owner and he didn't know where the pipes came from either.

Anyway, the weld looks great and with a little VHT paint it's ready to put back into service.

...so tonight I'm celebrating by beginning the engine extraction process on the '82 GL1100!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SeeYouEnTee posted:

Took the head off before I took the engine out, cam chain seems good, at least intact. I need a set of feeler gauges to measure my shims before I really dig into this thing.

The people above me have more experience with these things, so make sure you check out that cct before you go hog wild.

SeeYouEnTee posted:

Thank you everyone for your responses, I'm sure going to need some advice when I get ready to crack this thing open. An oil hemmorage at the front of the block mean anything specific? Also someone told me I was probably over-revving the bike while riding, but I'm not sure what over-revving means. I don't red line it, but I'm not shifting at 3k either...

Over revving happens when you are near read line and then downshift, letting the momentum of the bike push the revs over the limit. As long as you haven't done that, you're good.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

KARMA! posted:

The people above me have more experience with these things, so make sure you check out that cct before you go hog wild.

Over revving happens when you are near read line and then downshift, letting the momentum of the bike push the revs over the limit. As long as you haven't done that, you're good.

The cam chain tensioner seems pretty easy to remove from the looks of the manual, I just need to get some free time.

Any idea why there would be gasoline in my airbox when I stripped the thing down? I pulled it out before I even touched the carbs, so I didn't empty the float bowls into it. I had left it on the 'prime' setting the night before trying to start it, so it was being gravity fed. At this point I'm just curious.

Also I found a used engine from a 93 gs500 with 12k miles and I can bag it for $400. It looks a little dirty, but its got low miles, and I've been assured it runs well. There is only the wire for the starter on it, how hard will it be to fit it with the others from my old engine for the things like the oil pump and everything else?

Thank you for responding, I'm still in the 'excited to have a bike' phase and I haven't been in too deep yet.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Stalled the 636 again. It seems like my new ECU location, along with "extra airflow holes", mitigate a lot of the heat so I can go farther and only stay on the side of the road for a minute instead of twenty. Still though the damage seems to have been done. I found an ECU right in PA for $60 shipped so I'm hoping I get it on Monday and it works.

Also seeing how much some parts go for...and how cheap some crashed bikes are is giving me the idea of using a big empty basement I have to try out running a motorcycle salvage yard. :dance:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Also seeing how much some parts go for...and how cheap some crashed bikes are is giving me the idea of using a big empty basement I have to try out running a motorcycle salvage yard. :dance:

There can be a good amount of money in this, but there are some caveats...if you're interested I can post some common gotchas and ways to spot good buys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm getting the VFR ready to sell, and that requires a new battery. So I went and bought one.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I hope that ECU's plug and play?

I just got a CBR1000RR R/R and a wiring kit from D'Ecosse of SVRider. Gotta pick up a soldering gun and learn how to solder before I replace the R/R in my 2000 sv.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

There can be a good amount of money in this, but there are some caveats...if you're interested I can post some common gotchas and ways to spot good buys.

Yes please!:)

Ideally I'd like to find a crashed 05-06 Ninja. That way even if I'm a total failure I at least have plenty of spare parts. There aren't too many salvage bikes out there right now and I'm guessing most of it is a waiting game. Here's a few that caught my eye that I would take a look at.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2448269147.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2514753161.html <-maybe repair if it is startable

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2511203863.html

the walkin dude posted:

Why wouldn't it be? I think euro bikes had immobilizers and coded keys, but US doesn't.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

I just got a CBR1000RR R/R and a wiring kit from D'Ecosse of SVRider. Gotta pick up a soldering gun and learn how to solder before I replace the R/R in my 2000 sv.

Geez that D'Ecosse guy is every where. He sure knows his poo poo though. He has some guides on TriumphRat for making your own speedo sensor and jerry rigging/upgrading your R/R.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I changed my primary oil today. Year-old ATF-F with bits of cork and chain dust stewing in it on a 110 degree day doesn't smell nice at all. Also, it had turned brown from it's original hyper-cherry-red color.

On the plus side, my alternator is no longer as dodgy as it was. Must have been a lot of dissolved ferrous material in the oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Yes please!:)

Ideally I'd like to find a crashed 05-06 Ninja. That way even if I'm a total failure I at least have plenty of spare parts. There aren't too many salvage bikes out there right now and I'm guessing most of it is a waiting game. Here's a few that caught my eye that I would take a look at.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2448269147.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2514753161.html <-maybe repair if it is startable

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2511203863.html

Why wouldn't it be? I think euro bikes had immobilizers and coded keys, but US doesn't.

I made a thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428317

Got started and just didn't stop typing for quite awhile. :v: