Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I sold 4 shares the morning of the 3 reveal and the remainder of my shares yesterday.
Jokes on me, I guess. WTF TSLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, it's bounced back from the recent dip.

In other financial news:

quote:

Harley-Davidson Inc. tumbled the most in more than five months after two analysts said the motorcycle maker may have lost market share in the first quarter.

The shares fell 7.5 percent to $46.10 at 12:07 p.m. in New York after dropping as much as 9.5 percent, the biggest intraday slide since Oct. 20. The stock’s decline was the steepest in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index.

Dear Harley, get serious about your electric bike or die.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

I sold 4 shares the morning of the 3 reveal and the remainder of my shares yesterday.
Jokes on me, I guess. WTF TSLA.
Sold mine yesterday :frogc00l:
...and it went up another :10bux: today. Index funds from now on, thank you.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I was thinking about a volt. Can someone explain the engine heating issue to me?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Skeesix posted:

I was thinking about a volt. Can someone explain the engine heating issue to me?

Are you talking about the "Engine running due to temperature" function? When the ambient temperature falls below 25º, the generator burns approximately .3 gallons to keep the fluids in the ending from turning to sludge.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mulva posted:

Are you talking about the "Engine running due to temperature" function? When the ambient temperature falls below 25º, the generator burns approximately .3 gallons to keep the fluids in the ending from turning to sludge.

I'll have a post up at Ars next week about this; great car but the week I had it the temperature never got above about 28F and so the engine was almost always running. Still got 42mpg in the city, but I was hoping for 100+. Heated steering wheel was nice though!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The electric heater in the Volt is a resistance element, instead of a heat pump, which is pretty inefficient. If the temperature hits certain (somewhat adjustable) thresholds, the engine will crank up to provide heat, since it's more efficient than the electric heating.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
325K pre-orders is many.

Even if half walk away at this point it's still a lot of vehicles.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Qwijib0 posted:

325K pre-orders is many.

Even if half walk away at this point it's still a lot of vehicles.

I really doubt that the flake rate will be that high. People are excited for Tesla stuff, but most can't afford it. It's not like you're just signing an online petition, $1,000 is enough money to make people think about whether they really want one or not, even if you can get it back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

325k is slightly under four times as many cars as Tesla has sold 2009-2016.

I'm sure they'll sell the cars eventually, but I doubt the people signing up today will see their cars before the next decade.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Eh, doesn't it seem like it's a lot easier to significantly scale up when you know for sure you've got at least 300,000 people who want your cars as opposed to "Well who knows, we maybe should get ready to sell 50k cars, but should probably plan for a little extra capacity and maybe make production for 100k cars, oh gently caress now we have orders that exceed our max production by 3x." With $1,000 commitments, if they don't have the money they need to scale exponentially, getting it is going to be trivial.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

325k is slightly under four times as many cars as Tesla has sold 2009-2016.

I'm sure they'll sell the cars eventually, but I doubt the people signing up today will see their cars before the next decade.

Yeah, it's enough to make me question whether or not I still want one.*

Not in a silly hipster-ish "if everyone has one, then they're not cool anymore" way, but two of the best things about Tesla are the Supercharger network and it's ease of use and their level of customer service. If Tesla quadruples the number of cars they're supporting, will those things still be as good?

*I definitely still want one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does Tesla know how to build 100k cars a year? 200k? They need to hire a whole workforce and train them it is not like they have a backup army of laid off UAW workers like Ford and GM had to ramp up. I guess maybe the Toyota NUMMI people are still around but it has been a long time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I am guessing they've thought about these things already.

"With a planned production rate of 500,000 cars per year in the latter half of this decade..."

But Elon did humorously refer to Teslas expanded sense of time in the presentation.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Surely they could subcontract assembly out to another factory

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elephanthead posted:

Does Tesla know how to build 100k cars a year?

Even with parts shortages for X they made 15K in Q1 of 2016, and they've consistently ramped up YoY. I don't think getting to 80K in 2016 and then 100K+ in 2017 is outlandish at all.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
They are on track for 80,000 this year if they keep up current rates. One can assume they have a roadmap to 500,000/year by 2020 (Tesla time lol).

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
They have been increasing production year on year by about 50% since the model S came out, so it's not easy but if they keep that level of capacity growth then everyone should get their cars within a couple of years of launch.

And Musk is saying that they will be accelerating their production plans based on the higher than expected reservations.

It will be fun watching how it plays out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Beffer posted:

They have been increasing production year on year by about 50% since the model S came out, so it's not easy but if they keep that level of capacity growth then everyone should get their cars within a couple of years of launch.

And Musk is saying that they will be accelerating their production plans based on the higher than expected reservations.

It will be fun watching how it plays out.
It will be fun watching it indeed.

My question is how will they sustain that level of sales once they get through the backlog. Wait times on model S are really low already. Their direct sales model doesn't do a good job of slowing down.

I guess for now they'll just build more Xs than Ss.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

two of the best things about Tesla are the Supercharger network and it's ease of use and their level of customer service.

They are definitely a boutique maker with an emphasis on image and customer service at the moment. It's not impossible to scale that up but it will require intent to do that. When thousands of cars had drivetrain problems, they just extended the warranty and replaced everything. If _tens_ of thousands have the same problem will it be as no-hassle?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

drgitlin posted:

I'll have a post up at Ars next week about this; great car but the week I had it the temperature never got above about 28F and so the engine was almost always running. Still got 42mpg in the city, but I was hoping for 100+. Heated steering wheel was nice though!

I forgot to say so, but please do link this. I'd be interested to see it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drgitlin posted:

Wait, did it not draw from the battery then?

Because 42 mpg and some unspecified kWh isn’t great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Beffer posted:

If they keep that level of capacity growth then by the year 2030 everyone in the whole world will be a Tesla employee and by 2050 the Human Interstellar Empire will be devoting several solar systems worth of energy and raw materials to the production of Teslas.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

~Coxy posted:

If they keep that level of capacity growth then by the year 2030 everyone in the whole world will be a Tesla employee and by 2050 the Human Interstellar Empire will be devoting several solar systems worth of energy and raw materials to the production of Teslas.

Ugh, I really hope it doesn't take that long.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

~Coxy posted:

I can't wait.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Why do you think he started SpaceX?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

borkencode posted:

Why do you think he started SpaceX?

Because he was upset NASA had no Mars mission planned and the Russians wouldn’t sell him ICBMs?

If he’s really in it for “enslave the human race in my megacorp”, he came up with a good cover story with the right amount of self‐deprecation and self‐aggrandising.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I want a volt but the whole Elon/tesla cult skeeves me out, and makes me want to revert to some v8 goodness.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

blugu64 posted:

I want a volt but the whole Elon/tesla cult skeeves me out, and makes me want to revert to some v8 goodness.

My Volt allows my other car to be faaaaaaaaar less practical than it otherwise could be. :black101:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MrYenko posted:

My Volt allows my other car to be faaaaaaaaar less practical than it otherwise could be. :black101:
A good point, but I feel like you can't really do that with a Tesla. Its faster than most V8s, and the ones its not faster than cost a shitload of money. A 90D will outrun a Mustang GT or 'vette to any legal speed limit, and it won't break the bank on gas doing it (plus you can start each morning with a full tank).

You'd need to be doing actual track racing to out perform a Model S. Those are part of my reasons to looking at a 3 to replace my '16 Mustang GT after just 2-2.5 years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blugu64 posted:

I want a volt but the whole Elon/tesla cult skeeves me out

Is there really that much overlap?

ilkhan posted:

You'd need to be doing actual track racing to out perform a Model S.

Maybe. I wouldn't trust its brakes on it to keep up with a real sports car on some hard driving roads.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe. I wouldn't trust its brakes on it to keep up with a real sports car on some hard driving roads.

Really? It doesn't have OK traditional brakes?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CharlesM posted:

Really? It doesn't have OK traditional brakes?

I'm sure the Tesla would be safe. Just wouldn't let you brake as deep or as long.
My point is that cars that a Tesla can out-accelerate could still outperform it in other important areas, and that it wouldn't take a track to reveal that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

blugu64 posted:

Surely they could subcontract assembly out to another factory

Not a lot of advantages to that, considering NUMMI has like 300k capacity. The choices for outsource assembly are:

Valmet in Finland, although they are building the MB A-Class and not sure they would have space for a full second line
Magna/Steyr is probably a good bet
Karmann, a VW subsidiary which is at capacity at this point with Porsche product

I guess if you wanted to get really weird, you could buy the former Heuliez assets off Fabrique Regional du Bocage

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure the Tesla would be safe. Just wouldn't let you brake as deep or as long.
My point is that cars that a Tesla can out-accelerate could still outperform it in other important areas, and that it wouldn't take a track to reveal that.

Look we are only going to consider situations where the Tesla can beat cars that cost 1/4 its price. Got it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I am sure the seven seat family sedan can be outperformed on many of the areas the sportscar has been specifically designed for. It's not a big sportscar, it's a fast family car.

By the way, it's not a cult. The Church Of Elontology is a legitimate religion.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ola posted:

By the way, it's not a cult. The Church Of Elontology is a legitimate religion.

We even get tax breaks and everything.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How do leased vehicles effect the tax credit cap?

Do they count as sold cars? Can Tesla claim the credit or does the credit go unclaimed while taking up one of the slots?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kimbo305 posted:

How do the brakes compare? I'd understood the Brembo brakes to be highly regarded, but I don't know much about them. Would love to know more about what you have in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

How do the brakes compare? I'd understood the Brembo brakes to be highly regarded, but I don't know much about them. Would love to know more about what you have in mind.

As I understand it, the brakes themselves are fine, but it is still hauling a pretty heavy car down from whatever ludicrous speed, which can quickly cause even decent brakes to heat soak. Because it is a 5-7 passenger sedan, not some track weapon.

• Locked thread