Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008
Hello Fishgoons.

I'm 2 months new to the hobby and have made most of the usual novice mistakes. My biggest surprise had been that I've not yet had one fish death, given all my blunderings. I have tetras, danios and corries.
Today I idiotically decided to irradicate my mild but unsightly beard algae issue with API's "Algaefix". LFS said "No, it won't hurt your fish but it probably won't work ". The level at which I am mad at myself right now is indescribable. The label on this poo poo should be an image of a beautiful tank of fish burning in toxic waste. All of my fish were immediately " in pain" and three of my danios sunk to the bottom corner as if fed lead weights.
I almost immediately did a 20% water change which relieved all but the three said danios. So i filled my empty 10 gallon and tossed those three in there, where they are currently swimming as if there was never a problem.
My other fish seem fine but I'm afraid to keep watching as the nervous mind can play tricks. I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yikes, good luck with that. If you want to be safe, do another partial water change before adding them back in.

Long term, fixing algae is reducing lights and nutrients that algae use. Being careful with your feeding, and good with your cleaning, ensuring your light isnt too strong and trimming/scrubbing off the worst affected areas is a start.

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Yikes, good luck with that. If you want to be safe, do another partial water change before adding them back in.

Long term, fixing algae is reducing lights and nutrients that algae use. Being careful with your feeding, and good with your cleaning, ensuring your light isnt too strong and trimming/scrubbing off the worst affected areas is a start.

Thank you. I did the water change and shall do as you instruct for the beard algae. All fish are fine this morning and reunited. This hobby truly is all about patience and planning; such a challenge for those of us who feel that instant gratification isn't fast enough.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Help! Worms in my tank!
I did a bad thing, and I haven't scrubbed the algae in my tank in a while. It's mostly green algae now and its taking over everything, even the plants. I started to brush it off a divider yesterday and yuck! There's a bunch of worms free swimming in the newly relocated algae!

The longest one I saw was half a centimeter. They are hair-thin and really hard to see unless they're moving. They are round, so not planaria? I was hoping since they're hiding out in the algae that they're vegetarian and won't harm my fish, but maybe you guys can help identify? None of the three bettas are acting distressed at all. Google suggests maybe nematodes or detritus worms, but they're brownish-red, not white.
Here's some pics and a video.

Album here

They move exactly like the worm in this video

And what do I do? I was thinking I would move the fish to temporary containers and do a major cleaning and water change. Probably open up the filter and see if they're in there, too. It's about time I replace the filter floss, anyway. I'm a little squicked to put my hand in the tank, though, until I know they aren't parasitic. I don't guess I'm too concerned about messing up the cycle since the load never seemed high enough to spike.
I know I should cut back on feeding, so I'll start feeding just once a day. What else should I do?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Pistoph posted:

Help! Worms in my tank!
I want to say I can see segments and hairs in your pictures, that means oligochaete rather than nematode worms. Could be naididae, they vary between detrivores, predators (of things like paramecium and other infusoria), algae eaters, there's even one (chaetogaster) that lives only on/in snails. Very unlikely to be harmful to your fish, even if a fish eats one and they are carrying bacteria it will only be bacteria that is already present in your tank.

But hair thin and kind of pink makes me think of camallanus as well. Usually you only see those inside a fish not outside, and they're nematodes, not segmented worms with hairs. I really can't tell from your pictures if those are actual segments/hairs or visual artifacts. If you get a good look yourself and there are definitely hairs on that worm, I would say it's completely harmless. If you can see there are definitely no hairs, check the vents of your fish for tiny protruding pink/brown hairlike worm tails and say hello to camallanus (I really hope you don't have these, and reviewing my video of one I don't think your worm is the same). Assuming we're not talking about camallanus, I find that I get a heap of worms washed out of my in-hood trickle filter once I turn it back on after cleaning the media so I wouldn't be surprised if you do find a heap inside your filter when you clean it. Really, the only parasites you need to worry about in a fish tank that could hurt you are flukes and they are flat, leaf like, and you probably won't see the larval form or the eggs so just wash your hands and don't drink aquarium water and you'll be fine. I'd be more worried about aquatic bacteria than parasites anyway; fish TB, salmonella, vibrio and so on. I wash/rinse my hands before they go into the tank for the fish's sake, and again after they come out of the tank for my own sake.

You are going to do more harm than good doing a drastic clean out of the tank just over some worms. Get rid of the excess food, maybe try feeding your fish smaller amounts at a time to let them eat everything before more food comes in, and get a better feel for when to stop feeding. Vacuum up anything that falls that your fish don't eat (using an aquarium specific turkey baster) and the numbers of worms will drop. Not that they are necessarily directly eating that food (although they might be!), they might also be living in the algae that you are getting because of the excess food or they might be preying on the little invisible parameciums that are eating the bacteria that are growing because of that food. Blame the extra food for all your problems.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

If you get a good look yourself and there are definitely hairs on that worm, I would say it's completely harmless.

I mean to say that the worm itself is as thin as a hair, not that it has bristles. The worm has no bristles. I'll see if I can't catch one and take a picture with my camera instead of my phone.

They look white swimming in the tank, but they look brownish red when placed over a white plate.

I really, really hope you're wrong about the camallanus worm. I've only seen them swimming in the water column and not coming out of any fish-holes, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the fish, for sure.

Pistoph fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 7, 2015

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Alright aquarigoons:

The bug has bitten me. I'm buying a small tank for my office.

I'm thinking the fluval edge 12g and I'm debating between:

A nano reef with one or two clownfish
A species tank with 2 dwarf puffers
Or a live plant tank with neon tetra or harlequin raspboras.

What are your thoughts/experiences with a tank this size, and what do you suggest? Substrate suggestions would be awesome too. I'm between black sand or black gravel...

Edit: and now I'm reading that maybe the edge 6g is a better choice for filtration strength and general ease. Thoughts on that? The 12 gallon is the same price on Amazon right now but I'd rather make a decision not solely based on price.

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 8, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want to do your latter two options, go for the 12g. Saltwater setups are trickier and you might want to ask specifically in the saltwater thread about that. A 6g tank will be quite limiting, you'll be getting shrimp, a single betta or micro fish like embers or galaxy rasboras.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Oh yeah. Duh. Saltwater thread. Forgot about that.

I guess I should say that I have a 35g freshwater tank at home so I won't be itching to put all the fish in this one, I'm just more interested in making a cool setup to enjoy at work.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Not really a big enough tank for neon tetras, yes they're a small fish but they like to be in a big group and have horizontal space to move in, and that fluval is a tall tank which is better for plants than for schooling fish. No idea whether tall tanks are suitable for reef setups but the dwarf puffers probably would be fine and would appreciate a planted tank. The small access hole in the top of the fluval edge would concern me if the tank needed frequent access for maintenance ie for trimming plants, could be difficult or annoying. I remember seeing this guy do a video on maintaining a tall Fluval, he's got a review too which might help give you an idea on that tank. Low tech planted tanks don't grow that fast anyway. Sand substrate is a lot easier to quickly vacuum stuff from the surface rather than the deeper vacuuming you might want for gravel. So the Fluval edges small access hole might be fine depending on what you need to do.

I would say think about what you want the tank to be. If you want something with bright moving colours to stare at across the room while you're at your desk maybe Pygmy gourami would be better suited (but then, you can't fill the edge right up to the top as intended as gourami need an air gap). Endlers would probably be fine too. The reef tank might be better as something calmer to look at but I think a lot more fuss maintaining it ie where would you get replacement water from at work? Can't just use dechlorinated tap water. If the tank is a lot closer to you, you'll be able to see dwarf puffers easily since they're so small and setting up a stimulating environment for them to explore could be a lot of fun, ie picking out driftwood, designing an aquascape etc.

I really like the look of the tank and was considering it when I was tank hunting, but it wasn't practical for the kind of fish I wanted to keep. Shrimp would probably love it too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some of the smaller killiifsh like A australe would be good too. Just beware jumpers.

A shrimp tank is pretty cool and relaxing. One of my favorite tanks ever was a 3 gallon that started with 10 yellow shrimp and ended up housing close to 60.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I kind of have an aquarium. We made a container pond out of a big 40 gallon metal stock tank. I added 3 inches of gravel to the bottom and an additional inch of plant substrate. It's all sloped thou for a shallow and deep end.

We have about 7 plants in there, some grasses, some leafy plants and some brush fern looking things. I have all the names written down but can't remember them.

There is a small fountain on the deep end buried and held in place by some big pieces of Rose Quartz.

I just added some fancy goldfish. 2 tricolor fan tails and 2 tricolor ryukins.

Now I know in the long run this is too much fish. We are making a second duplicate one to go across the pathway that two of the fish will go into so there will only be 2 per. I'm hoping this so enough room. The shallow end is probably 5 inches deep, the deep end is about 10.

My question is feeding. We are going to be adding a dwarf lily and some duckweed, do I just watch to see how much duckweed is in there and let them eat that or do I also need to add supplemental food? Right now I have some flakes that they just gobble up as fast as they can, and they keep nibbling the plants and rocks for the rest. How much should I feed and what kind of stuff to keep them healthy and super happy? I was going to get freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms and some kelp as well.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Just finished vanquishing these useless pieces of crap from my turtle tank. Also had a few of the bigger black ones that are definitely drain fly larvae inhabiting my filter. There were a ton of these brown ones in my filter, on the filter lid, in my filter media, in the tank itself, in the gravel, and after ~3 hours of work they're all dead now thank god. They're definitely some kind of larvae, they move with this weird jerky motion where they flip around like mosquito larvae do. I love my Decorative ReptoFilter but I really hate that it's apparently the ideal home for various types of worms.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
so im now up to 4 fishtanks. do i have a problem?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

so im now up to 4 fishtanks. do i have a problem?
It depends how many additional tanks you're still obsessing over. Also if you're planning on getting rid of furniture for more tanks or converting a room into a fish room, that's a good sign.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I kind of have an aquarium. We made a container pond out of a big 40 gallon metal stock tank. I added 3 inches of gravel to the bottom and an additional inch of plant substrate. It's all sloped thou for a shallow and deep end.

We have about 7 plants in there, some grasses, some leafy plants and some brush fern looking things. I have all the names written down but can't remember them.

There is a small fountain on the deep end buried and held in place by some big pieces of Rose Quartz.

I just added some fancy goldfish. 2 tricolor fan tails and 2 tricolor ryukins.

Now I know in the long run this is too much fish. We are making a second duplicate one to go across the pathway that two of the fish will go into so there will only be 2 per. I'm hoping this so enough room. The shallow end is probably 5 inches deep, the deep end is about 10.

My question is feeding. We are going to be adding a dwarf lily and some duckweed, do I just watch to see how much duckweed is in there and let them eat that or do I also need to add supplemental food? Right now I have some flakes that they just gobble up as fast as they can, and they keep nibbling the plants and rocks for the rest. How much should I feed and what kind of stuff to keep them healthy and super happy? I was going to get freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms and some kelp as well.

They definitely need to be fed on top of eating duck weed! Get some hikari carp/goldfish/koi pellets and let them go to town :)

That tank is small enough that you will need to do water changes and filter as well - does the fountain have a filter component? They sell pond filters with fountain heads that might be a good addition.

Also, I hope you don't have raccoons in your area....

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

republicant posted:

Just finished vanquishing these useless pieces of crap from my turtle tank.

Yay! That definitely is some kind of larva, the bonus of this is if you miss any they won't multiply in your tank because they're just babies. They aren't breeding in your tank, someone is leaving you friendly egg deposits so a mesh cover might help keep the parents out. That distinct head makes the larva look more like a beetle larva than a fly larva. I found an aquatic beetle larvae (elmidae) via Google that looks pretty similar so it could be something like that, they live in running water which would be why they liked it so much inside your filter. Was that you who lived near a stream? Could just be local bugs dropping in.

I think I counted my weeks right and rewormed my fish this week. Zero sign of worms even with feeding everyone food soaked in dewormer, although I found five more guppy fry while scrutinising the tank. Once the worm panic is over the female guppies are definitely coming out of the main tank! If I clean the excess snails out of the original shrimp tank, move the surviving shrimp in with the red nose shrimp, I'll be able to use that tank to house the female guppies and continuing fry while the others grow out in the fluval.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mocking Bird posted:

They definitely need to be fed on top of eating duck weed! Get some hikari carp/goldfish/koi pellets and let them go to town :)

That tank is small enough that you will need to do water changes and filter as well - does the fountain have a filter component? They sell pond filters with fountain heads that might be a good addition.

Also, I hope you don't have raccoons in your area....

Luckily I'm pretty deep into the city, no raccoons in my neighborhood. But a made a cover for it for at night and when we aren't around from my leftover hardware mesh from the chicken coop to keep cats away.

We do have a pond filter/fountain combo that's pretty small, like 100gph or something so it moves all the water at least twice an hour.

I will go and buy these pellets. How many should I feed em and how often? I little bit 3 times a day? A lot once?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Stoca Zola posted:

It might be worth looking at capping it with something else then if it is mature soil, I don't think that stuff is meant to last forever structurally, and yours might be at the point where it is constantly breaking down and releasing particles thus the flocculants can't keep up. Not sure how roughed up it got in transit but that could have been the trigger for this happening if it looked fine before you moved it. Or maybe it had already started, the guy got sick of doing huge water changes every couple of days to keep it clear and that's why he decided to sell up! Good on you for rescuing the livestock though, I get so mad at people who have the "they're just fish *shrug*" attitude.

I've never used ADA myself actually so this has been just conjecture based on what I've read while I was researching substrates for my own tanks. I've got one tank using small sized gravel with a sandy zone, another with fine sand, and one of my shrimp tanks has a baked "plant minerals" style granular substrate. That stuff is probably about a year old and I can already see signs of it breaking down but then I don't know how similar it is to ADA and I know I haven't been super gentle with it when rinsing it in between uses, but it is plausible to me that this kind of stuff could break down and go powdery at some point.

Hope you work something out, anyway.

After the nightmare of muddy water we finally managed to fix it.

You were right about the capping - we went to the LFS to get some gravel and the guy there also recommended getting plastic mesh for needlepoint from a crafts store to put on the soil first, THEN cap it with the gravel to further help. The mesh has wide enough holes that the plant roots can snake their way down into the soil but small enough that it helps pack the soil down. It took us 8 hours to drain/fill the tank (ending at 2am on a work night, ugh ) because my god, the shrimp, there was 400+ at least and we wanted to catch them all before capping, cut & fit the mesh, then spread the gravel, then fill the tank ultra slowly. It was milky cloudy yesterday and today is nearly clear! :unsmith:

We lost probably 1/4 of the shrimp though, but not 100% sure why. Some of it could be stress because at the end you're basically scraping the gravel to try and catch them in a net ( I ended up using my hands for the last 50 or so ) but we also put them in only a 1G bucket because we thought the process would only take an hour or 2 ( idiots ) so maybe just oxygen depletion or ammonia build-up. Felt really bad about it but there are so many that if you didn't see the dead ones you wouldn't know the population was impacted. Thankfully cherry shrimp are cannibalistic bastards and we haven't had to drop any algae wafers in the past 2 days as they feast on their dead.

Tonight we're going to start moving fish from the old tank into the new one but we didn't realize that basically ALL the fish we have can/could/will/do eat the cherry shrimps ( even the full grown ones ). We tried putting a few in the old tank to test and even the serpaes were eating the adult shrimps - swimming around with a big belly and shrimp antennae sticking out their mouths.

I suppose at some level, natural predation is good to keep the population in check ( the cardinals can eat the babbies ) but I think we're going to have to trade-in our silver dollars, congos, and serpaes for sure. :smith:

No more new tanks for awhile, what a pain in the rear end.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
This is my little container pond

This is one of my ryukin

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I don't know how many of you guys use the basic Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag filter cartridges, but they're really cheap on Amazon. I got a 12 pack of the medium/10 gallon ones for $8, definitely beats paying $4/each at Petco, and they're even compatible with my worm incubator ReptoFilter. They are unassembled, which means you have to actually add the carbon yourself, but it's kind of fun assembling them and you can even add your own special carbon or additives if the spirit moves you. Sorry to sound like an advertisement but it's such a better price than any of the pet stores, I always thought filter cartridges were ridiculously overpriced considering how cheap the actual materials must be.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Feeding goldfish once a day is fine :) feed them as much as they can eat in two minutes, scoop out any excess. And watch the temp in your containers! Those are small and reflective enough to seriously overheat your cold water goldfish if you're not careful.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mocking Bird posted:

Feeding goldfish once a day is fine :) feed them as much as they can eat in two minutes, scoop out any excess. And watch the temp in your containers! Those are small and reflective enough to seriously overheat your cold water goldfish if you're not careful.

Yeah they are in full shade after 11am and dappled shade in the morning. We placed the first one to ensure it wouldn't be blasted by the sun. The second one we want to add would be in the same shade conditions.

You all think that fountain is enough aeration with the plants? The tank is 26 inches in diameter. If the water gets too ugly and the filter can't keep up I have a backup 40 gallon aquarium filter to clip to the side if needed.

I thought goldfish could take some warm water though? Or did the aquarium place lie to me? I just figured if I needed to do cold water flushes or wrap the metal in ice packs I could keep the temp under 85.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 10, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is my little container pond

This is one of my ryukin

I heard that the zinc in the metal containers will leach into the water and cause problems for fish, plants, good bacteria. I used a similar filter in my barrel pond, I ended up taking it out and don't miss it all. You might want to get some mosquito fish if you dont already, not sure how well the goldfish will do at eating mosquito larvae.

My barrel pond :
http://imgur.com/a/HpVOH

edit: To help with the heat I placed my barrel on bricks to raise it off the concrete patio, not sure if that would help with your setup. Also I feel like a wood barrel is a better insulator and slow temp fluctuations.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 10, 2015

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

So I scrubbed most of the algae off the dividers and did a 50% water change. I've cut back to feeding once a day and the fish (after recovering from the indignity of their temporary containers) seem happy and healthy. The water looks so much better now and I haven't seen any more worms. I also took out most of the decorations, so the tank looks a lot less over crowded.
I'm excited for the mailman to come today cus I've got a new dual output air pump coming, plus a siphon pump! I've had enough of mouth starting siphons. Ick.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had an unexpected (but unsurprising) message from my sister today, she's finally decided her two zebra danios are too big for her tiny tank and wanted to know if I could fit them somewhere. Of course I said yes, and they've ended up in the new tank along with the three penguin tetras. They settled in right away and even look like they are going to spawn, the male goes from relentlessly chasing the female to gently circling her and nudging her while "protecting" her from the penguin tetras (who are all hiding in terror in the corner). I dropped a lump of java moss in on the off chance they do end up spawning, the female is very fat and the change in water conditions might trigger them to go for it. I was never really that interested in zebra danios but seeing them in action in a big enough tank better shows off how pretty they are. They're about the same size as the penguin tetras and are totally absorbed in chasing/avoiding each other so I think they will be a good fit in that tank. I think they could handle any action the penguin tetras dish out.

To replace the danios, the local fish store sold my sister a few of these "tetras":

It's actually an eye-spot/emerald eye/high spot rasbora, which thankfully looks like it will do okay in her tank. Stays small, likes the kind of conditions she can provide with the rainwater she uses for her fish; she did get them from the diseased shop too so who knows how long they'll live.

I found a new kind of worm in my snail tank:

It's got six eyes and it moves like a snail, and according to google it's a ribbon worm (the ones that puke out a mesh of stuff to grab food). As far as I can tell, its pretty harmless so I put it back. Also my microscope arrived from ebay so my worm pics are a little better than usual.

Anyone know whether zebra danio eggs are easily visible? or am I going to have to wait to try and spot the fry once they hatch? The male is a kind of gold, medium-long fin danio, whereas the female has regular fins but some of her stripes are a bit spotty so I'm keen to see what their fry might end up like.

Wanted to add - I saw a thing on youtube for a low tech way to get a siphon started, you let your gravel cleaning tube fill with water then tip it upright and lift it above water level so the siphon tube fills with water, and if one scoop isn't enough, you can dip it back in for another load. Starting the siphon from the top means you don't have to stick your mouth on a grody pipe!

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 10, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

r0ck0 posted:

I heard that the zinc in the metal containers will leach into the water and cause problems for fish, plants, good bacteria. I used a similar filter in my barrel pond, I ended up taking it out and don't miss it all. You might want to get some mosquito fish if you dont already, not sure how well the goldfish will do at eating mosquito larvae.

My barrel pond :
http://imgur.com/a/HpVOH

edit: To help with the heat I placed my barrel on bricks to raise it off the concrete patio, not sure if that would help with your setup. Also I feel like a wood barrel is a better insulator and slow temp fluctuations.

Yeah it probably will have some temp issues that I will need to control. The goal over the next 4 months is to get both of these little ones up and get the plants growing. Before November though we want to get a 390 gallon 6ft round stock tank and partially bury it in the area of our backyard adjacent to where the fire pit is going. We plan on moving the fish to there in the end once it is established.

The plan for this weekend is to get the current tank to its final spot, surround it with rocks and mulch and plant some perennials around it to to help regulate the temps and keep the sun off the sides. Again though it is in shade all the time. You can see the reflections of the trees above it in the photo.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I came into the office today and noticed that several of my shrimps have eggs! Very excited! I am about to leave for three weeks for military training, is there anything that I should do to prep the tank? I am going to have one of my coworkers drop an algae tablet in weekly to suppliment food and top off the tank when the water gets low.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Pistoph posted:

I've had enough of mouth starting siphons. Ick.

Stoca Zola posted:

Wanted to add - I saw a thing on youtube for a low tech way to get a siphon started, you let your gravel cleaning tube fill with water then tip it upright and lift it above water level so the siphon tube fills with water, and if one scoop isn't enough, you can dip it back in for another load. Starting the siphon from the top means you don't have to stick your mouth on a grody pipe!

Here's the clearest video I could find on it. Pinching the hose to start it isn't necessary if you're fast, but it has other uses as that guy shows.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Yes! That's exactly how I do it. Although my gravel cleaner isn't anywhere near as good as that one. Makes me want to buy a new one.

Rallos depending on how warm your tank is, three weeks is about right for the eggs to be hatching when you get back. If you don't already have driftwood or dead leaves in the tank for the baby shrimp to scrape on maybe you can add some now to give them a chance to get a bit gungey by the time the baby shrimp hatch. The very small newborn shrimp get by on scraping bacterial films for food so the more surfaces you have for them, the better. Some people swear by snail poop too but I don't know that I've ever seen a shrimp take a snail poop seriously. I've tried oak and other riparian leaves but my shrimp are very preferential to indian almond / catappa leaves, which are pretty easy to get hold of as far as I can tell. They ignore every other leaf until all the indian almond leaf is completely gone down to a vague skeleton.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 10, 2015

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Stoca Zola posted:

Rallos depending on how warm your tank is, three weeks is about right for the eggs to be hatching when you get back. If you don't already have driftwood or dead leaves in the tank for the baby shrimp to scrape on maybe you can add some now to give them a chance to get a bit gungey by the time the baby shrimp hatch. The very small newborn shrimp get by on scraping bacterial films for food so the more surfaces you have for them, the better. Some people swear by snail poop too but I don't know that I've ever seen a shrimp take a snail poop seriously. I've tried oak and other riparian leaves but my shrimp are very preferential to indian almond / catappa leaves, which are pretty easy to get hold of as far as I can tell. They ignore every other leaf until all the indian almond leaf is completely gone down to a vague skeleton.

I have it set to 78 degrees. I do have a couple of pieces of driftwood in there along with a moss ball and a bunch of plants. Should I order some almond leaves also or do you think thats enough? The tank has been running for at least a month now with the shrimp in it so it should be well established.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you can get some easily/cheaply, do it. The leaves don't sink at first but once they get properly wet it's easy to tuck them along the side or back of your tank so they aren't in the way. It does sound like you've got a reasonable set up though so it's not the end of the world if you don't get some. I don't know if any of the claimed medicinal properties of the leaves are true but shrimp definitely seem to love them, maybe they have a good digestible mineral content, I don't know. I kind of feel bad that I ran out and didn't think to buy any more yet!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Looks like in my most recent cross country move, the movers broke my current fish tank and now I am in the market for a new set-up. Thankfully with the reimbursed money from the moving company from said damage and a bit out of pocket I should be able to get a decent tank.

Could anybody recommend a tank that would satisfy a water/land combo? I would love to be able to keep fish with some nice live plants and maybe have the land section (possibly made from plastics) for some frogs, my daughter absolutely loves frogs and would go nuts to have some in the house. Any recommendations about a tank that would allow to to keep fish and frogs at the same time would be amazing and my daughter will love you all.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Stoca Zola posted:

If you can get some easily/cheaply, do it. The leaves don't sink at first but once they get properly wet it's easy to tuck them along the side or back of your tank so they aren't in the way. It does sound like you've got a reasonable set up though so it's not the end of the world if you don't get some. I don't know if any of the claimed medicinal properties of the leaves are true but shrimp definitely seem to love them, maybe they have a good digestible mineral content, I don't know. I kind of feel bad that I ran out and didn't think to buy any more yet!

I'll look for some in a few weeks when I get back to the office. I'm really glad I set this tank up for my office, it's a great stress reliever.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
So I went out to run an errand and

Yeah this happened

5g fluval edge, black Tahitian sand, got a mossball and three kinds of anubius. :getin:

I cut off a chunk of my sponge filter that's in my 35g to cycle the tank: will that do the trick, do you think?

I'm thinking shrimp tank: thoughts?

I gotta say, I like this tank a lot, even though putting the anubius in was frustrating (ugh so floaty).

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008

McStephenson posted:

Yeah this happened

drat now I want one for shrimpies. Where'd you get the sand?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
You can get it online, but my slightly upscale local fish store sells it too.

Carib Sea brand Tahitian Black Sand! I think i'm going to buy two more bags, part for this tank and the other bag and a half for the Fluval Edge 12g I ordered for my office.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McStephenson posted:

You can get it online, but my slightly upscale local fish store sells it too.

Carib Sea brand Tahitian Black Sand! I think i'm going to buy two more bags, part for this tank and the other bag and a half for the Fluval Edge 12g I ordered for my office.

Just a head's up but if you're in the states and you're near a Tractor Supply company check out the Black Diamond Blasting Sand. It's the same stuff just sold for a different purpose, and it's only $8.00 for 50lbs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Does anyone have any good advice for moving a fish tank over long distances? I'm moving 300 miles away in 2 weeks and I plan on bringing my 30 gallon with me. Current stock is 1 betta, 6 cories, 3 ghost shrimp, 2 bumblebee gobies, and a fuckload of snails. The snails can fend for themselves, but I do want to find the least stressful way to transfer my fish and plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Does anyone have any good advice for moving a fish tank over long distances? I'm moving 300 miles away in 2 weeks and I plan on bringing my 30 gallon with me. Current stock is 1 betta, 6 cories, 3 ghost shrimp, 2 bumblebee gobies, and a fuckload of snails. The snails can fend for themselves, but I do want to find the least stressful way to transfer my fish and plants.

Put the fish and shrimp in a 5gal bucket 3/4 full of tank water with a lid. Grab a power inverter that you can run off a cig lighter, and use that to power an air pump with air stone or sponge filter, and a small heater. Drain the tank down to an inch or less of water, that should be good enough for your plants and snails.