Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Clearly there is only one real choice here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=386GACcAmJc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clevin to be rejected by Alison, turn into a MRA supervillain, get punched and defeated in a big splash panel, you heard it here first

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

rotinaj posted:

Clevin to be rejected by Alison, turn into a MRA supervillain, get punched and defeated murdered by Mary in a big splash panel, you heard it here first

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nuebot posted:

That's kind of the vibe I get they're setting up from Clevin. :shrug:

Oh yeah that's the other Guy I meant, I don't remember peoples names very well.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The people whiteknighting Clevin in the comments is delicious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Atmus posted:

:eyepop: if people project any harder in there someone's going to get hurt.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Atmus posted:

Its the people who are calling max abusive over this that boggle my mind. How on earth can people be this invested in this stupid nerd rear end in a top hat that can't even be honest that he's asking Alison out as a date and not as a friend that they call the other guy an abusive rear end in a top hat based on a one page exchange.

Edit: also apparently joking about kissing or making out on a date is a "red flag". I'm just dying with laughter over here.

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 2, 2016

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Serene Dragon posted:

Its the people who are calling max abusive over this that boggle my mind. How on earth can people be this invested in this stupid nerd rear end in a top hat that can't even be honest that he's asking Alison out as a date and not as a friend that they call the other guy an abusive rear end in a top hat based on a one page exchange.

Edit: also apparently joking about kissing or making out on a date is a "red flag". I'm just dying with laughter over here.

I know a lot of fandom people get really angry when their shipping doesn't work out, but it's neat to see in real time.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

SFP commentator posted:

What tweaks me is that he is saying, in front of a friend of Al's that he is staking a claim on her romantically (hence his pushing the romantic and date language when Al is clearly avoiding it) and staking a claim on her body (hence his pretty clear implication that he intends to be making out with her this evening.) This is a pretty public statement, and one that she hasn't cleared.

Other SFP commentator posted:

You know the worst part? The most gut-wrenching part?
Klevin did everything right. He did everything way too right.

He was considerate, thoughtful, his intentions clear and honest, and extremely mindful of Alison's boundaries. He was so perfect, I'm suspecting he's the kind of guy who used to be a bitter, depressed Nice Guy until some event or person shook him up to straighten his act and become the paramount of excellent behavior of courtship. He's the kind of guy to have had his heart shattered by the girl he felt entitled to, realized he was an rear end in a top hat and spent months on the likes of Dr. Nerdlove's blog to come out a better man.
But a loser just as well.

And he "lost" Alison's affection to someone half of us are willing to consider has a tad too dominant behavior, certainly a questionable one. The blow is even more piercing considering the person judging is very specifically Alison.
What do you think he'll learn from that experience? That in the end, being a decent person doesn't matter. That it's all about assertiveness, charisma and competition. That it's unfair, and why bother being good in a world which doesn't reward you for being good?

What the actual hell?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Oh my god

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
yeah that guy sure is staking a patriarchal claim on the loving super-strong war goddess with his overt flirting, how domineering of him, oh wait she coughed and he died

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Patrick Spens posted:

What the actual hell?

People who want to reject the mis-everyone-istic adversarial idea of PUA dating because it depicts them in an unflattering way, but haven't got enough self-awareness yet to actually reject it and so still look at women as deterministic sex machines just with a different set of rules to "do it right".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Funny, I wouldn't really have thought the audience SFP was meant to pander to would be prone to that sort of thinking.

Or maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way, and it's just that they are prone to looking at the world in a simplistic overly-reductionist way of thinking, where they think they can figure everything out while forgetting about the particulars of the human beings caught in the mix, looking at everything like they're some kind of lovely documentary maker drawing quick conclusions about animals.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I kind of thought the handsome guy was acting in the way you'd expect a woman to in a super hero story. The hero swoops in and saves them, they say "I'm not usually so forward but...", then the hero initiates the romance. Almost like it was being set up as an inversion of the stereotypical comicbook romance for some point to be made at the end of whatever arc they're going to have.

Turns out when she called him to schedule a date it was all part of his sinister boundary pushing plan.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Patrick Spens posted:

What the actual hell?

Clevin posting on the comments IRL.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's weird to see such fervor when pretty much nothing has happened. No one has been an rear end in a top hat. No one has even been a jerk. What in the world is there to be angry about at any of these characters?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Wittgen posted:

It's weird to see such fervor when pretty much nothing has happened. No one has been an rear end in a top hat. No one has even been a jerk. What in the world is there to be angry about at any of these characters?

No you see max has been a massive jerk because obvs he overhead clevin asking alison to the movies and decided to get in a sick burn (ignoring the fact that Alison is actually the one who brings up going to a movie as a date and max says movies as dates are lame in response to that).

And by joking about making out on a date, he's clearly asserting his right to Alison's body and being an abusive possessive dominating rear end in a top hat for not respecting her "boundaries". And that might mean he'll roofie her (seriously someone brought that topic up in response to this page).

Also Clevin is not an rear end in a top hat for not making his intentions clear, it is Alison that is really the rear end in a top hat for not being psychic and not realising that Clevin wants to gently caress her and therefore "manipulating" him into a free movie night.

I really need to stop reading the comments section, these people are so loving stupid and tumblr-ite it physically hurts.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Well at least it looks like they are having a nice time

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Clevin will become a supervillain and Alison will be forced to lock him away inside the Friend Zone, condemning him to a ghost-like state of existence where he can observe but not interact with Alison's universe

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 3, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Serene Dragon posted:

Also Clevin is not an rear end in a top hat for not making his intentions clear,

I don't get this idea that Clevin has done something objectionable either. Not making your intentions clear doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. It just means you were bad at communicating. A 20 year old with a crush on the woman who saved his life is allowed, I think, to be bad at asking her out without being assumed to be deficient as a person.

Of course, if Clevin goes on to be hateful to Alison or something, then gently caress him. That's for sure rear end in a top hat behavior.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I don't get this idea that Clevin has done something objectionable either. Not making your intentions clear doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. It just means you were bad at communicating. A 20 year old with a crush on the woman who saved his life is allowed, I think, to be bad at asking her out without being assumed to be deficient as a person.

Of course, if Clevin goes on to be hateful to Alison or something, then gently caress him. That's for sure rear end in a top hat behavior.

Yeah, you're right, he's not an rear end in a top hat either. I certainly hope the story doesn't go in that direction because ugh.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

He did lie to her about why he was asking her to go with him to the movies. I can see that leaving a bad taste in some people's mouths.

However it was such a low key and plausible lie that it didn't even register with me that he was actually trying to ask her out until these comments started mentioning it, so I don't get why some of these people are flipping out over it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the sexually frustrated nerds who love the bad comic about the bougie superhero have imagined for themselves an extremely convoluted and irl impracticable system of fucklaw

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the sexually frustrated nerds who love the bad comic about the bougie superhero have imagined for themselves an extremely convoluted and irl impracticable system of fucklaw

Is there a way we can cut this down a bit and make it the new subforum title?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a way we can cut this down a bit and make it the new subforum title?

Batman's Shameful Secret: sexually frustrated nerds and their convoluted, impractical fucklaws

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

Batman's Shameful Secret: sexually frustrated nerds and their convoluted, impractical fucklaws

Get rid of the redundancies and it should be short enough

Batman's Shameful Secret: Impractical fucklaws of frustrated nerds

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Hell, just:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret: fucklaws

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Carrasco posted:

Hell, just:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret: fucklaws

yeah, but that could apply equally to the GOP, yes?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I have never understood the "would you rather" game or people who play it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Bruceski posted:

Would you rather play it or understand it?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's simple, name two options. See what people pick. It's just a way to pass time and maybe see which of you're friends are secretly mass murderers.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Bruceski posted:

It's a silly game that's good for breaking the ice at parties. There's a fairly decent episode of This American Life where John Hodgman asks people if they'd rather be able to fly or turn invisible and what you can extrapolate about people from their answer.

Also Alison your answer is terrible. No one wants booger-flavored ice cream. :barf:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who plays "would you rather"and doesn't have reasons for the choice they make? That sounds like an awful boring game if you're just saying a choice and not justifying why you picked it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Who plays "would you rather"and doesn't have reasons for the choice they make? That sounds like an awful boring game if you're just saying a choice and not justifying why you picked it.

The point is she picked the socially altruistic reason. Sure people can do this but for her character she always seems to be going for this route instead of thinking purely for her own interests. She was just equated to Mother Theresa so it's just hammering home that point.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

hammering home that point.

More like beating a dead horse.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The point is she picked the socially altruistic reason. Sure people can do this but for her character she always seems to be going for this route instead of thinking purely for her own interests. She was just equated to Mother Theresa so it's just hammering home that point.

"You play like everyone's watching you."

Is she altruistic because she thinks she's supposed to be altruistic?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

"You play like everyone's watching you."

Is she altruistic because she thinks she's supposed to be altruistic?

I once had a conversation with someone where we put ourselves in the X-Men universe and gave ourselves mutant powers. I picked a variant of duplication, I could create clones and we could merge again and all knowledge gained would be put back into the individual. I basically said I'd avoid any fights with the Government or X-men/brotherhood battles and just pursue a few college degrees (under assumed names) and live my life more or less like normal. The guy I was talking about kept trying to force me into situations where I had to take up arms and pick a "side" to fight for. I feel like Allison is like that always trying to help others because she perceives it as the socially responsible thing to do and it shows.

Even this conversation highlights that (for the billionth time) she chose endless ice cream but not because she prefers it over Pancakes. Not because she doesn't mind the idea of boogers in her ice cream. But because it would benefit others and serve a utilitarian service. She's always trying to solve a problem on a large scale and I think some of that is because she's convinced herself that she has to be the one to help others.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

She did make the right choice, though, at-will ice cream nose is way better than waking up with sticky syrup sheets.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Even this conversation highlights that (for the billionth time) she chose endless ice cream but not because she prefers it over Pancakes. Not because she doesn't mind the idea of boogers in her ice cream. But because it would benefit others and serve a utilitarian service. She's always trying to solve a problem on a large scale and I think some of that is because she's convinced herself that she has to be the one to help others.

How old was Alison when her powers manifested? If you grow up with super-strength and invulnerability, and had good, wholesome, America-rah-rah Ma and Pa Kent parents like Ali had, you're gonna get it drilled into your head to help people. It's gonna be first nature to help others and be generous and kind and Truth, Justice and the American Way. The other way, pretty well always, ends up with a psycho bent on destruction. And Mulligan hasn't shown any interest in trying to go crazy making storylines innovative during the run of this comic. He's basically just exploring the other, mostly underexplored side of "What does Superman do with his powers other than punch dudes", without any major subversions or radical ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

She did make the right choice, though, at-will ice cream nose is way better than waking up with sticky syrup sheets.

Only if you forget to put out the plate.

rotinaj posted:

How old was Alison when her powers manifested? If you grow up with super-strength and invulnerability, and had good, wholesome, America-rah-rah Ma and Pa Kent parents like Ali had, you're gonna get it drilled into your head to help people. It's gonna be first nature to help others and be generous and kind and Truth, Justice and the American Way. The other way, pretty well always, ends up with a psycho bent on destruction. And Mulligan hasn't shown any interest in trying to go crazy making storylines innovative during the run of this comic. He's basically just exploring the other, mostly underexplored side of "What does Superman do with his powers other than punch dudes", without any major subversions or radical ideas.
Middle School sounds about right. And It's not her fault she's had the mentality to help others drilled into her head, it just means that her current thought process doesn't allow her to focus on her own situation and instead always throw herself into other peoples.

• Locked thread