Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't have the source itself handy, but a bunch of people on FFG's Facebook page are saying someone from FFG confirmed on Twitter that the TFA box is just a standalone release and they aren't making a 4th product line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That galaxy map :allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

I don't have the source itself handy, but a bunch of people on FFG's Facebook page are saying someone from FFG confirmed on Twitter that the TFA box is just a standalone release and they aren't making a 4th product line.

I don't get why anyone was thinking they would. It's a campaign setting, not an entire line. It would be stupid as hell to make a new core for it, the whole point is that the game hinges on the trilogy aspect of Star Wars to make most things in threes or multiples of it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Fuzz posted:

I don't get why anyone was thinking they would. It's a campaign setting, not an entire line. It would be stupid as hell to make a new core for it, the whole point is that the game hinges on the trilogy aspect of Star Wars to make most things in threes or multiples of it.

That doesn't make any sense. You're basically saying they won't make another line because of the "power of THREE!!!!" or something.

The real reason is that it would be silly to dilute the brand and spend a lot of design and development resources on something that can easily be covered with a beginners' game and maybe a splatbook.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

That doesn't make any sense. You're basically saying they won't make another line because of the "power of THREE!!!!" or something.

The real reason is that it would be silly to dilute the brand and spend a lot of design and development resources on something that can easily be covered with a beginners' game and maybe a splatbook.

... No, I'm saying it's just a campaign setting and the full system is already out and covers pretty much all angles. It was intentionally spaced out to be across three core books and their requisite lines.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Fuzz posted:

... No, I'm saying it's just a campaign setting and the full system is already out and covers pretty much all angles. It was intentionally spaced out to be across three core books and their requisite lines.

Agreed. Sorry, you threw me off with that whole "make most things in threes"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
besides everyone knows it's the Rule of Two

so a friend gave me their Force and Destiny core rulebook because like all the other grogs I know they found the WotC RPG more comfortable, throwing d20s at everything and whatnot, and so now I'm tempted to run a game in the FFG system and wondering if there are advantages to it beyond new content, the cool stat cards, and the New Jedi Order era being non-canon

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It has the advantage of being the best Star Wars RPG since d6 and probably even better than that. Seriously give the book a read, maybe pick up one of the starter sets (as much to get a set of dice as anything else).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's a much better game with much higher production values than any previous game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The reason FFG Star Wars doesn't talk about NJO is because it's set before it, not for any canon reasons. The games exist in the same messy Legends as everything from KotOR to NJO to Legacy.

:goonsay:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Siivola posted:

The reason FFG Star Wars doesn't talk about NJO is because it's set before it, not for any canon reasons. The games exist in the same messy Legends as everything from KotOR to NJO to Legacy.

:goonsay:

That's not entirely accurate. The RPG line isn't really "set" in either continuity and draws stuff from both.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Right, I meant "temporally" the game takes place during the the movies, as opposed to after the movies when NJO happens. NJO is irrelevant to F&D because of that, and not because it's no longer canon – because like you said, the game has no problem digging through both legends and canon material for stuff to include. If we got a hypotethical "After the Empire" supplement, odds are it would include Kyp Durron instead of Kylo Ren.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Siivola posted:

If we got a hypotethical "After the Empire" supplement, odds are it would include Kyp Durron instead of Kylo Ren.

Honestly at this point we'd probably get both. FFG seems perfectly happy with both timelines coexisting equally.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Can someone give me some advice on how to handle more mundane skill checks as a GM? Like speech ones or knowledge ones or even like bartering.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's something I kind of eyeball.

For knowledge I tend to set an easy difficulty amd then give extra details for extra successes and then elaborate on the implications/ imply future uses of said information for advantage.

For speech I'll let the situation rp out until I see something I think needs a roll and someone is being coerced or lied to or flirted with outside of general conversation.

Remember you don't need to and should not be throwing dice for really trivial poo poo. if there won't be an interesting outcome, why are you rolling dice?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 7, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My players are housed in a sector that contains a planet dedicated to all things sporting, just a massive array of stadiums, racetracks, and similar. Of particular interest to one of our characters is that this is the home of Galactic Wrestling Federation, the galaxys premier sports entertainment event.

Please help me come up with awful star wars wrestler pun names. So far we have Triple Hutt and John Sleemo. It's not going well so far.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Stone cold Sith Austin

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Rodian Reigns?

^ Stone Cold Sith Alderaan?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That works but you should do Jar Jar Cena instead.

You also need a Vince McMahon figure, obviously.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 8, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rick Solar Flair.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm so happy right now.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
MACHO GRAN

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop
Hutt Hogan

nuggets
May 14, 2003
Sith Rollins

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
"Plasmacutter" Jim Duug

Bryan Dressellian

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

The Ultimate Mandalorian

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Rey Morseerian Jr.
Yinchorrzuna
Macho Mando (Jangy Zavage?)

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 9, 2016

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
The droid know as S.T.I.N.G.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

RaceyBucket posted:

Can someone give me some advice on how to handle more mundane skill checks as a GM? Like speech ones or knowledge ones or even like bartering.

Those are generally good opportunities to let the players extemporize

For instance, with Knowledge (or computer database searches, or perception, or pretty much anything where the goal is to gain knowledge) a formula I've used is that for each success, players get to ask the GM a question about the topic at hand, while each advantage gives the player an opportunity to introduce a fact about said topic.

Also be careful that you aren't calling for too many checks. There's an old GM rule-of-thumb that you shouldn't call for a check if the task doesn't have high or interesting stakes. Still applies in this system.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Houk Hogan (if you don't use this, you lose your SW cred)

Hydrosaw Jim Dugan (who is a Dug)

The Durasteel Jedi (who uses fake Force powers like the Iron Sheik had magic)

Panaka (soon of the Naboo captain, wears traditional Naboo tribal garb)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Somehow in the middle of all of this, Literally Just Daniel Bryan.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ShineDog posted:

Rodian Reigns?

^ Stone Cold Sith Alderaan?

Yes and Yes

Bruno San Mon Calamari
"Ryloth" Rowdy P'yper
Bith Elizabeth
The Junkyard Dianoga
Raevan
Ernest "The Ysalamiri" Myrkr

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 9, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Guncan Brothers, Meeson & Jan Jan

"Meeson getsa tables!"

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Everyone is wonderful. You're all perfect people.

PupsOfWar posted:

Those are generally good opportunities to let the players extemporize

For instance, with Knowledge (or computer database searches, or perception, or pretty much anything where the goal is to gain knowledge) a formula I've used is that for each success, players get to ask the GM a question about the topic at hand, while each advantage gives the player an opportunity to introduce a fact about said topic.

Also be careful that you aren't calling for too many checks. There's an old GM rule-of-thumb that you shouldn't call for a check if the task doesn't have high or interesting stakes. Still applies in this system.

Also yeah to all of this. I've taken to leaving enormous gaps in my notes for characters because my players are going to tell me about them. Sometimes this information knocks me right off course and it's frantic and panicked adlibbing. That's OK!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Ultimo Krayt Dragon
DB-8C, the Million Credit Droid
Hondo Ohnaka Michinoku

echopapa fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 9, 2016

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Nikto Bockwinkel

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glitterdust

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Nexu Millionaire

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My group will be doing a campaign using these rules after my current DnD 5.0 campaign is over. I'm not GMing it, so I'm assuming I just need the core book and any sourcebooks that have the class/race I want to play, even if others want to play a Jedi or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Mr E posted:

My group will be doing a campaign using these rules after my current DnD 5.0 campaign is over. I'm not GMing it, so I'm assuming I just need the core book and any sourcebooks that have the class/race I want to play, even if others want to play a Jedi or something?

Yup

Grab the character builder in the OP too :colbert: