Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Can't you... just make it yourself with some eggs and a whisk?

Wouldn't be artisanal unless you are a certified mayonnaise artisan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you really want to you can put your mayo into a pond fountain.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Do people think mayonnaise is some kind of complicated industrial byproduct?

the point is not to posses homemade mayo

the point is to engage in a cultural exchange where a commodity is a token of status. when you buy artisan, local mayo you are buying authenticity and a homespun fantasy of community and neighborhood vitality

this is why people buy soylent despite it being identical to cheaper brands of instant food shakes for infants or medical patients. soylent is powdered food slurry for the efficient creator on the go who needs to optimize every moment of their waking time in the pursuit of leveraging maximum effort and squeezing every drop of productivity out of one's day

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Are those numbers only base salary? They seem low for big companies.

Yeah, base salary only -- but you can filter by both year and location, which makes a big difference. But it's not like you're going to find accurate numbers on equity anywhere, especially for senior devs, including Glassdoor.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

asdf32 posted:

Actually yeah, I also think this is a pretty bad thing. If a friend makes twice as much as you it would be nice to know that up front when comparing yourself to them [financially]. Also more discussion of money would lead to better financial literacy in general.

I have been accused of humble-bragging when talking openly about my salary. I seem to make about twice as much as my closest friends do. I make less than 50k euros per year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wheany posted:

I have been accused of humble-bragging when talking openly about my salary. I seem to make about twice as much as my closest friends do. I make less than 50k euros per year.

Average UK salary is somewhere around £20k so yea £50k euro is waaaay higher than most.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah but if your rent is $3000 a month, how much are you really able to put away?
Potentially a lot. First off, a lot of people will live in a cheaper area (e.g. commute from Oakland to SF on BART), or live with roommates to save money. It also depends on the company. Somewhere like Google or Facebook or a red hot startup, even brand new grads are making > 150k. Obviously that's not all companies, not even a majority, but it's a pretty significant minority.

OwlFancier posted:

Average UK salary is somewhere around £20k so yea £50k euro is waaaay higher than most.
...what?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reminder that oakland rents are the 4th most expensive in the entire country and renters there pay an average of ~70% of their income on housing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Er, %£$"*%&^()

I don't have a euro key on my keyboard.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So is she just going to dodge all of the questions about data?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

Er, %£$"*%&^()

I don't have a euro key on my keyboard.

Even if you did, it makes no more sense to write €50k euros than it does to write $50k dollars. It's either or. Otherwise you're talking in quadratic currencies, meaning you must be in the derivatives market. And if you're being paid in derivatives, welp.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that oakland rents are the 4th most expensive in the entire country and renters there pay an average of ~70% of their income on housing
Yeah but it's still substantially less than SF:

quote:

One bedroom apartments in Oakland rent for $2416 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $3257.

quote:

One bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3648 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $5050.
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-oakland-rent-trends/
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-san-francisco-rent-trends/

Like, sharing a 2br in Oakland means paying $1,600/month for rent, not too horrible if you're a techie making big bucks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Does glassdoor give you the sample size, median, IQR, anything like that for it's average salaries? I can't seem to find it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
yeah you click through the salary for each position and it'll give a range, median and # of reports.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cicero posted:

Yeah but it's still substantially less than SF:

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-oakland-rent-trends/
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-san-francisco-rent-trends/

Like, sharing a 2br in Oakland means paying $1,600/month for rent, not too horrible if you're a techie making big bucks.

the point is it's funny that "making the big bucks" around here still necessitates getting merely one roommate in oakland as opposed to like 4 in SF

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the point is it's funny that "making the big bucks" around here still necessitates getting merely one roommate in oakland as opposed to like 4 in SF

Look at Mister Bigshot here, used to his own room instead of sharing 4 bunk beds with grown rear end men.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Coolness Averted posted:

Look at Mister Bigshot here, used to his own room instead of sharing 4 bunk beds with grown rear end men.

oh no you can totally live by yourself in sf on a six figure salary

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm an RA at a hacker house in San Francisco. My rent is free, but my room is only 8ftx10ft. Fortunately, the ceilings are 12ft high, so I decided to get crafty....

found on imgur and traced back to "/r/malelivingspace: Where Men Can Live"

i'm the only piece of wall decor, a shot-up human-shaped paper target

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Do people think mayonnaise is some kind of complicated industrial byproduct?

I think most people have no idea how mayonnaise is made because you can get a huge jar if it for like $6. Smaller more reasonable jars you can find for like $2 or $3 or so.

Granted I have no idea how mayonnaise is made because I think it's gross as hell.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I don't really see home prices cratering even if the tech bubble bursts. Compared to 2008 people have been putting more money down on mortgages because the terms got stricter. With a decent amount of equity people are less likely to foreclose or sell. House prices might level off but i rarely doubt they'll go down anytime soon.

Rents could be a different story.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

I don't really see home prices cratering even if the tech bubble bursts. Compared to 2008 people have been putting more money down on mortgages because the terms got stricter. With a decent amount of equity people are less likely to foreclose or sell. House prices might level off but i rarely doubt they'll go down anytime soon.

Rents could be a different story.

Rents across the nation have been going up because fewer people are buying, actually; it's a common problem. There isn't always enough quality housing available and to make it worse rent is going up while wages aren't. So not only do you have a shortage of people buying houses you have a shortage of people renting housing out and people that can't afford to rent places by themselves.

The reason San Francisco is weird is because you have a crap load of people that have high paying jobs still having trouble finding housing that isn't cramped. It also has a far higher "demand is crushing supply right now" problem than other areas.

It's a downright bizarre thing to think about because entire vast swathes of America are just plain abandoned right now. The area I'm originally from is just awash with abandoned buildings and cheap housing; an enterprising software company could probably just buy up entire drat city blocks on the cheap and fill them with programmers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rents across the nation have been going up because fewer people are buying, actually; it's a common problem. There isn't always enough quality housing available and to make it worse rent is going up while wages aren't. So not only do you have a shortage of people buying houses you have a shortage of people renting housing out and people that can't afford to rent places by themselves.

rents have been going up in cities and suburbs because that's where the jobs are and thats where people want to live. rents are bottoming out in rural areas

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

rents have been going up in cities and suburbs because that's where the jobs are and thats where people want to live. rents are bottoming out in rural areas

Depends on where you go, I think; this area of the world rents aren't going up but they also aren't going down. Granted places are also decaying into awful ghost towns as people relocate to the city and drive rents up there.

Though the weird thing about here in the Rust Belt is that you have entire neighborhoods of cities that are abandoned. Pittsburgh is an odd place for that; there are neighborhoods that are awful, crime-infested slums that people are vacating as soon as they get the chance and places that have literally seen a 90% population decline. Crime can't infest a place that nobody even lives in anymore. And they'll be right next to places building expensive luxury apartments for the yuppies that are moving in to do cool things with their college degrees.

...while the people that have already lived in the city forever but didn't go to college/did but are still working menial jobs are being driven out of their homes by rising rents.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on where you go, I think; this area of the world rents aren't going up but they also aren't going down. Granted places are also decaying into awful ghost towns as people relocate to the city and drive rents up there.

Though the weird thing about here in the Rust Belt is that you have entire neighborhoods of cities that are abandoned. Pittsburgh is an odd place for that; there are neighborhoods that are awful, crime-infested slums that people are vacating as soon as they get the chance and places that have literally seen a 90% population decline. Crime can't infest a place that nobody even lives in anymore. And they'll be right next to places building expensive luxury apartments for the yuppies that are moving in to do cool things with their college degrees.

...while the people that have already lived in the city forever but didn't go to college/did but are still working menial jobs are being driven out of their homes by rising rents.

Pittsburgh also has a whole lot of speculation going on. There are developers buying up double digit percentages of places like Wilkensburg and North Braddock because they think its going to be the next Lawrenceville. Also, there is speculation that Wilkensburg is going to be absorbed into Pittsburgh, so thats a driver as well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JohnGalt posted:

Pittsburgh also has a whole lot of speculation going on. There are developers buying up double digit percentages of places like Wilkensburg and North Braddock because they think its going to be the next Lawrenceville. Also, there is speculation that Wilkensburg is going to be absorbed into Pittsburgh, so thats a driver as well.

Yeah Pittsburgh is a damned weird place right now. My response to everything was "screw this, I'm living in Monroeville."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The reason San Francisco is weird is because you have a crap load of people that have high paying jobs still having trouble finding housing that isn't cramped. It also has a far higher "demand is crushing supply right now" problem than other areas.

It's a downright bizarre thing to think about because entire vast swathes of America are just plain abandoned right now. The area I'm originally from is just awash with abandoned buildings and cheap housing; an enterprising software company could probably just buy up entire drat city blocks on the cheap and fill them with programmers.

This makes sense.

Another aspect of it is Housing Inventory. While I'm sure there are suburbs in Detroit that likely look like something out of Mad Max, in desirable places (like the Bay Area, where I live) not a lot of people are actually selling houses. I was talking to a realtor mentioning that I hope a lot of Baby Boomers are selling their homes now that they are worth a shitton compared to when they bought them 30 years ago, and going off to retire somewhere cheap. She replied that unfortunately people are staying put or giving the house to relatives, which greatly decreases the numbers of houses that come up on the market.

Honestly even if the Tech Boom weren't here San Francisco would still be expensive, though at least probably livable for more people. My wife and I recently saw a one act play talking about how back in the 90's the arrival of the proto-techbros started driving people out of the Mission District. Though I guess you could say this problem goes back even farther, when Baby Boomer hippies in their 20s were moving into SF and pricing a lot of the minority tenants out of the area.

Growing up, I always used to hear that Oakland was a 'dangerous' place to live, but nowadays its a 'dangerous' place to simply be able to afford to pay your rent. Areas are getting heavily gentrified; formerly sketchy parts of San Francisco, Oakland, East Palo Alto and San Jose have gotten surprisingly expensive the last five years.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

This makes sense.

Another aspect of it is Housing Inventory. While I'm sure there are suburbs in Detroit that likely look like something out of Mad Max, in desirable places (like the Bay Area, where I live) not a lot of people are actually selling houses. I was talking to a realtor mentioning that I hope a lot of Baby Boomers are selling their homes now that they are worth a shitton compared to when they bought them 30 years ago, and going off to retire somewhere cheap. She replied that unfortunately people are staying put or giving the house to relatives, which greatly decreases the numbers of houses that come up on the market.

Honestly even if the Tech Boom weren't here San Francisco would still be expensive, though at least probably livable for more people. My wife and I recently saw a one act play talking about how back in the 90's the arrival of the proto-techbros started driving people out of the Mission District. Though I guess you could say this problem goes back even farther, when Baby Boomer hippies in their 20s were moving into SF and pricing a lot of the minority tenants out of the area.

Growing up, I always used to hear that Oakland was a 'dangerous' place to live, but nowadays its a 'dangerous' place to simply be able to afford to pay your rent. Areas are getting heavily gentrified; formerly sketchy parts of San Francisco, Oakland, East Palo Alto and San Jose have gotten surprisingly expensive the last five years.

Areas like that are actually one of the reasons "your house is an investment" came up as an idea; part of the reason people aren't selling is because they only see the dollar signs. This is especially true in any place that is gentrifying or becoming desirable; people are hoping to hold onto the property as long as possible to either sell it for a huge amount over what they paid or hand it off to their children/relatives so they can get a huge windfall off of it. Of course you can't develop an area without anybody selling their houses.

Which leads to a feedback loop; if nobody is selling then nobody can build denser housing, even if the zoning allowed for it (which, of course, it often doesn't). So the demand for housing goes up, which increases the price as the supply doesn't. Then they think "hey cool value is going up, gently caress this I'm not selling" and the problem just gets worse.

Of course in the case of tech bro land you have more and more people getting attracted due to the high paying jobs, which means they can afford to pay more for housing, which drives the price up even more. To compensate those employing tech bros will pay even more, which then ratchets the price up further.

There is some really bubbly behavior going on but considering how important technology is to literally everything the human race does nowadays who knows if it'll ever burst. Even so it's a crazy situation that needs a fix sooner rather than later but you have a poo poo load of property owners going "gently caress you got mine."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also currently prices are supported by incredibly low interest rates enabling people to buy at 5x their household income (or more).

And those who bought in years ago who might want to cash out are faced with the fact that while their house went up in value, so did every other house in the area. Unless they are willing to move long distances, significantly downsize, or switch to renting all of their return gets eaten by buying a different house which is likewise inflated in value. Also in California you have Prop 13 loving things up such that selling often carries a jawdropping property tax hike.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Also remember that if you are a boomer, CA's tax structure makes selling make less sense.
So, you own a house in sf that would sell for $3million. However, you bought it for $100,000, which what your tax is based on.
If you downsize to a $1 million dollar house, your annual tax bill just went up 10x (well slightly less as values do go up slightly under prop13) because you pay the property tax on the purchase price.

Further, if you keep the house and pass it to your children, they get to keep the orginal purchase price as the tax basis, so you help your kids out too.

Edit: how did I miss the post right above mine?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nm posted:

Guess you just got disrupted. :smaug:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Shifty Pony posted:

Also currently prices are supported by incredibly low interest rates enabling people to buy at 5x their household income (or more).

And those who bought in years ago who might want to cash out are faced with the fact that while their house went up in value, so did every other house in the area. Unless they are willing to move long distances, significantly downsize, or switch to renting all of their return gets eaten by buying a different house which is likewise inflated in value. Also in California you have Prop 13 loving things up such that selling often carries a jawdropping property tax hike.

As the owner of a small (1200sf) house this is true. My house has gone up 20% or more in 4 years which is nominally good except larger houses have gone up at the same rate which makes the price jump to move up even larger now. Of course I'm thankful I got in when I did because starting from scratch now in this area is even worse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nm posted:

Also remember that if you are a boomer, CA's tax structure makes selling make less sense.
So, you own a house in sf that would sell for $3million. However, you bought it for $100,000, which what your tax is based on.
If you downsize to a $1 million dollar house, your annual tax bill just went up 10x (well slightly less as values do go up slightly under prop13) because you pay the property tax on the purchase price.

Further, if you keep the house and pass it to your children, they get to keep the orginal purchase price as the tax basis, so you help your kids out too.

Oh man, that's bad. I'd say the bay area weathers a crash better than anywhere else in the country just because of that, let alone climate or existing infrastructure

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ann Arbor is seeing a midwestern sort of boom - every house in the area that isn't completely falling apart is going for 250k plus, which is only in the range of tenure-track professors or mid-level to senior tech boom employees. They're not likely to drop much, just because this is sort of the tech center of Michigan, but buying a place is still a scary prospect.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol $250k for a house

how quaint

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

nm posted:

It makes sense when leaving the state, and that's about it.
Although it was funny watching someone I know's grandparents sell their nice 3 bedroom house in Orange County and use the profits to build a mansion back east, only to decide they want to move back here and now be stuck in that "Well now we could rent or spend more than we made on a worse house."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

asdf32 posted:

Of course I'm thankful I got in when I did because starting from scratch now in this area is even worse.

The number of people in my org (of a well-established SV company) who have relocated out of California to work remotely in the past six months alone is pretty ridiculous, but tells the tale.

Almost a half dozen, and that's just among the nearest 100 people to me organizationally speaking.

And that's before you start counting the number of older hires who also work remote because they literally refuse to relocate here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol $250k for a house

how quaint

you realize 80% of the population is in an area where this is a reality right

like that's almost the whole point of the goddamn thread

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Aliquid posted:

you realize 80% of the population is in an area where this is a reality right

like that's almost the whole point of the goddamn thread

You kinda missed his point. 2 bedroom condos in so-so places are going for 400k in the more livable cities an hour or so from LA for example, and that's hardly the SF boom area.
Hell I saw a nice small house from the 40's near me (that also has about 6 halfway houses/rehab group homes and 3 AA chapters within walking distance go for over half a mil.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

We sold the family house in Cedar loving Park for 300k two months ago after a bidding war, I understand many areas are increasing in value. It's just that the vast majority of the country is left out.

That stupid house was an energy drain and worth probably 6x our combined family yearly earnings, so good riddance.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

(that also has about 6 halfway houses/rehab group homes and 3 AA chapters within walking distance

also this shows me that you're The Worst and probably part of the problem when it comes to urban living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah Pittsburgh is a damned weird place right now. My response to everything was "screw this, I'm living in Monroeville."

Just dont buy there. Everyone. who is displaced from the city is priced out of moving north or south (even low income places like brookline and beechview are seeing resurgence in property values). Monnroeville is the next pitcairn.

Also, 300k for a home is kind of sick. You can buy nice 4 unit apartment buildings for that price in the rust belt.