Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I admit, I do see where Guava is coming from with the cutscene. It does feel a tad rushed, but on the other hand, we just hacked a psionic relay to broadcast our message. It is entirely possible for those images to not just be shown on the jumbtrons, but also in everyone's minds as well, thus everyone got an up-close experience of what X-COM's been doing over the course of the game. Yes, the cutscene could have been executed better, but overall, it does give the satisfaction to the player that your actions have finally paid off and got the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

???

There's at least three kinds of rocket launcher and you can get grenades literally five minutes into the game.

Ehh it's how I felt. You did remind me about the grenades though, which are definitely Very Good Fun.

I think part of it might be the way they dole out blueprints for equipment. You put 7-hours in to the open area and the equipment you have to show for it isn't particularly interesting. I was pretty far in to the game when I started getting access to the heavy weaponry and it didn't have anything like the impact that the gauss gun, laser weaponry or flamers had in the original syndicate. Those were things you could point in a direction and Nope everything until pretty late in the game when the enemy agents might have high level gear. Firing a rocket in Satellite reign felt like it just took out a chunk of shields/armour.

I'm being quite the negative nancy for something I was meaning to recommend though. Go play it everyone!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AradoBalanga posted:

I admit, I do see where Guava is coming from with the cutscene. It does feel a tad rushed, but on the other hand, we just hacked a psionic relay to broadcast our message. It is entirely possible for those images to not just be shown on the jumbtrons, but also in everyone's minds as well, thus everyone got an up-close experience of what X-COM's been doing over the course of the game. Yes, the cutscene could have been executed better, but overall, it does give the satisfaction to the player that your actions have finally paid off and got the job done.

Yeah, it's fair to say that the message is meant to be more extensive than what we are shown.

Considering that we've been able to sell "massive radiation dose" as a means for controlling some forms of cancer, "dunk me into a green bacta tank" sounds like a fairly reasonable treatment for... aging? all-around disease? Whatever, sign me up.

A few more panels to show that people are being turned into goo would get the idea across better.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Guavabot should rush them with a Gunslinger, and surprise them with this decision.

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.
There's a line in this mission about Advent not "making much effort to hide alien tech" in the transmitter or whatever, and my question is why? Why would they need to? Who would they be hiding it from? The average citizen already knows about aliens and alien tech, given the Sectoids and Mutons and whatnot walking around openly with Advent troops.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Hard to say. Bad/garbled script writing, or maybe they're just commenting on it looking kind of bizarre even by Advent standards (which...I don't really think it does, but that's not the point).

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm being quite the negative nancy for something I was meaning to recommend though. Go play it everyone!

Your criticisms are perfectly fair. The rocket launcher really doesn't feel that spectacular. Most weapons, in fact, don't feel that spectacular, but heavy weapons and their blueprints come pretty much at the end of the game. The random blueprint aspect can be annoying, and the game is very short in comparison to Syndicate (and doubly so compared to Syndicate + American Revolt). Heavy weapons' lack of punch, in large part, has to do with the fact that the difference in how quickly enemies die has a lot more to do with your ability to flank them and shoot them out of cover, as opposed to the weapon(s) you're using. There's an option when creating a game to triple all damage values across the board, which makes the game feel a lot more like Syndicate. Cover becomes even more important, and the heavy weapons are able to chew through enemy HP even in cover.

The biggest problem with the rocket launcher and equivalent really is that you get grenades so early, and the rocket launcher isn't effective enough to justify the fact that every time you use it you'll draw a bunch more guards to you.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Olesh posted:

Your criticisms are perfectly fair. The rocket launcher really doesn't feel that spectacular. Most weapons, in fact, don't feel that spectacular, but heavy weapons and their blueprints come pretty much at the end of the game. The random blueprint aspect can be annoying, and the game is very short in comparison to Syndicate (and doubly so compared to Syndicate + American Revolt). Heavy weapons' lack of punch, in large part, has to do with the fact that the difference in how quickly enemies die has a lot more to do with your ability to flank them and shoot them out of cover, as opposed to the weapon(s) you're using. There's an option when creating a game to triple all damage values across the board, which makes the game feel a lot more like Syndicate. Cover becomes even more important, and the heavy weapons are able to chew through enemy HP even in cover.

The biggest problem with the rocket launcher and equivalent really is that you get grenades so early, and the rocket launcher isn't effective enough to justify the fact that every time you use it you'll draw a bunch more guards to you.

I mean... it's great if that is your goal. On top of just sitting there with Olesh and I shooting each other with the thing and then reviving each other.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I think the idea is that they DON'T just openly broadcast the 'alien-y' stuff around civilians. Like that was the whole point of the Advent soldiers being all carefully doctored up to look human as possible and their real faces kept under wraps, wasn't it? to hide how alien they were? I think the implication is that they try and keep the alien stuff separate from the average civilian.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ousire posted:

I think the idea is that they DON'T just openly broadcast the 'alien-y' stuff around civilians. Like that was the whole point of the Advent soldiers being all carefully doctored up to look human as possible and their real faces kept under wraps, wasn't it? to hide how alien they were? I think the implication is that they try and keep the alien stuff separate from the average civilian.

I just don't understand why because they let all the actual aliens walk freely about the place and civs are like "oh that's cool. i love snake tits" and you can see it in their statues.

Particularly the advent designs. I guess the implication was (haven't watched the cutscenes in forever) that they wanted people to think other humans were joining up and being awesome space gestapo but then they speak in bullshit alien tongue that nobody understands, bleed mango juice, and are mean as hell to everyone so they talk up all these ends and then contradict themselves immediately.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 19, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It makes sense for the space gestapo to speak the same language as their bosses, the mango blood is obviously the result of the amazing genetic enhancement you get when you Sign Up TodayTM, and they aren't mean they're just taking their jobs very seriously.

Would you like to know more?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I do love that the alien's plan ends up just being a way more dressed up version of the Furons' invasion plan from Destroy All Humans!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

paragon1 posted:

More Balaten.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lunethex posted:

I just don't understand why because they let all the actual aliens walk freely about the place and civs are like "oh that's cool. i love snake tits" and you can see it in their statues.

Particularly the advent designs. I guess the implication was (haven't watched the cutscenes in forever) that they wanted people to think other humans were joining up and being awesome space gestapo but then they speak in bullshit alien tongue that nobody understands, bleed mango juice, and are mean as hell to everyone so they talk up all these ends and then contradict themselves immediately.

On the language aspect at least, I remember some lore that civilians were encouraged to learn the alien tongue. Maybe you need to have "speaks Adventese" on your resume if you want a job in the pretty, clean cities instead of the slums.

The blood could be explained as some sort of gene therapy thing to make them better protectors. Not hard to spin when they already have clinics for that sort of thing.

The generalized brutality is, as usual, harder to deal with, but there's always the tactic of silencing witnesses and claiming the Evil X-COM did it.

paragon1 posted:

It makes sense for the space gestapo to speak the same language as their bosses, the mango blood is obviously the result of the amazing genetic enhancement you get when you Sign Up TodayTM, and they aren't mean they're just taking their jobs very seriously.

Well aren't you just so succinct.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zomborgon posted:

On the language aspect at least, I remember some lore that civilians were encouraged to learn the alien tongue. Maybe you need to have "speaks Adventese" on your resume if you want a job in the pretty, clean cities instead of the slums.

The blood could be explained as some sort of gene therapy thing to make them better protectors. Not hard to spin when they already have clinics for that sort of thing.

The generalized brutality is, as usual, harder to deal with, but there's always the tactic of silencing witnesses and claiming the Evil X-COM did it.

The Donald, or Australia's Torture Islands, are examples of how people can cheerfully look away from horrible things happening around them.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

It was probably possible to completely stealth that one by hacking the turret (fun fact: if you hack a turret while concealed, you get a concealed turret). There are plenty of ways to do this mission. One of the funnier ones is to take a ranger with a wraith suit and a speed COM, and also two psi soldiers. With two psi inspires, the ranger can make a quadruple move - through walls if necessary - then throw in a free grapple, and still have the run+gun action left over to do the actual hacking. That's usually enough to win the mission without taking a shot or taking damage. That final dash tends to wake up half the aliens, but so what? You are magically teleported out of there once the hack is done.

I have to agree with the other commentator who is definitely Guavamoment - it would be nice if some of the intel bonuses used here were present throughout the game. And also that the original Syndicate and Syndicate wars were good games.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jade was worried about the sound in this episode being too soft, so everyone should pipe up and tell him it's fine :grin:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

zyxophoj posted:

I have to agree with the other commentator who is definitely Guavamoment ...
also that the original Syndicate and Syndicate wars were good games.

I also agree with Actual Vaguely British-sounding Internet Youtube Guy Guavamoment.

Probably the biggest "flaw" in Satellite Reign is that it feels kind of unfinished and short. Syndicate had all those missions (and yeah, each country only has the one mission but it's not like you ever have to repeat them unless you set taxes too high). Satellite Reign is still ridiculously fun, especially in 4-player co-op, but don't pay full price for it.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Zomborgon posted:

Well aren't you just so succinct.
It would make sense for them to eliminate any witnesses of a successful XCOM strike they can find. As is, the ADVENT cities are incredibly controlled, and the world outside them is lawless and dangerous. The human inhabitants are probably desperately clinging to any facade of normalcy.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Pretty sure the Advent burgers have a chemical to make civilian eyesight terrible, which is why they can only see you if you're within five feet

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oER-NRMKQ

I wish this mod existed at the start of the LP.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

What you want every man to be built like several brick poo poo houses?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shinarato posted:

Chris "The Human Bulldozer" Redfield, America, XCOM

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Chris "The Human Bulldozer" Redfield, America, XCOM
That's Chris "Punch Rockfist" Redfield, you heathen. :colbert:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

:mmmhmm:

Dissociative Donut
Oct 9, 2009

by Pragmatica
His massive nipples are mesmerizing

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Shinarato posted:

Not every man - you see the "Weight" slider that it added?

Edit: I suppose I should link the mod page. Probably not a good idea to check at work if bara is frowned upon at your workplace.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 21, 2017

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
e: double post

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

I look at that and I can not think of this VERY not work safe and TERRIBLE anime music video about big burly manly mans doing anime manly man things.
removed

Edit: to anyone wondering why I know of this video, youtube reccomended it to me while I was watching some fist of the north star.

not gonna spread it.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2biOpkA28&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_xr-KRR8p8

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Canuck-Errant posted:

I see Tom of Finland is keeping his hand in during the new 3D era.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...See, I have a few characters in my character pool I'd love to be able to make that huge for the simple sake of being accurate to the characters they're based on. Does such hugeness come with any armor options that doesn't leave so much flesh exposed? >_>

Tychus Findlay and James Vega don't seem like themselves without their mountains of muscle.

EDIT: ...or, after a brief glance around out of curiosity... a download method should I decide to get it that doesn't require his personal attention and approval? It's likely to be a huge mod and thus not quite worth it, but it could potentially be interesting.

EDIT 2: In hindsight, I find myself doubting there are any such options for "buff, but still fully armored" in such a mod, nor are there likely to be any plans for such. And like that it's lost me.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 22, 2017

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Heffer posted:

Pretty sure the Advent burgers have a chemical to make civilian eyesight terrible, which is why they can only see you if you're within five feet

So that's why Bradford is so annoyed that people are somehow sneaking them onto the Avenger. That explains all the missed shots that should have hit, too.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
The Guavabot is here to protect us from the terrible secret of Xcom.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
So when are we getting a Guavabot voice pack for Julian?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

A Guava voice pack for Julian should only be a series of quotes telling Jade how wrong he is for all the skill choices and when he uses Overdrive it should say something like "This lets you shoot more! Like Fan Fire! Which you should use!"

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why I'm vaguely British.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Vaguely British is what you call someone's accent that you can hear but can't tell exactly where they're from.

Also they have to be speaking some form of English.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Canuck-Errant posted:

The world needs more less more bara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

It's because all let's playing robots are vaguely british.

• Locked thread