Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

That's miserable. I'm glad you ended up ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
BRB, just going to offer yet another prayer of thanks to Nye Bevan for the NHS.

Then go out and canvass some more for Labour.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

BRB, just going to offer yet another prayer of thanks to Nye Bevan for the NHS.

Then go out and canvass some more for Labour.

Honestly not sure why my health insurance put up such a stink. I have an illness that requires I get a medication that costs $28k every eight weeks, and that's never been an issue. I've been on it for at least 3 years, and my rough math adds up to like half a million dollars.

Incurable illness? Sure. No problem.
Broken leg? A luxury.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Shout out to the idiot PO of my KLR650, who fitted a VFR800 Staintune exhaust to it and passed it off as being the KLR model. Worked OK on the street tyre he had on when I bought it, was close enough to the 50/50 knobbie I fitted to start melting the tyre and almost potentially kill me on my way to work.

I already have to replace the stator he "fixed", very tempted to buy a flywheel puller and replace the doohickey he did (confirmed) just to remove every last trace of his stupid touch on the bike.

Have fitted the bike with the stock exhaust for now and it now both sounds and accelerates sad :smith:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hah going through my budget to remind myself what I spent on moto stuff in the last few years and came across these old entries from my first bike:

Date: 2016-07-14
Memo: Swingarm spools
Outflow: 14.79

Date: 2016-08-12
Memo: Swingarm spools and Loctite
Outflow: 18.97

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah going through my budget to remind myself what I spent on moto stuff in the last few years and came across these old entries from my first bike:

:lol:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RightClickSaveAs posted:

gently caress yeah

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Lol my google doc for maintenance on my SAR has this entry:

0mi | REMINDER: tighten fixtures after first 600mi or first oil change

726mi | First oil change + filter; TO BUY: rear bracket for crash bar

😩

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This is the baby shoes of motorcycling.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

This may have been talked about in length, but I'm just diving in.

What are everyone's thoughts on crash bars (or whatever you want to call them)?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SirLeigh posted:

This may have been talked about in length, but I'm just diving in.

What are everyone's thoughts on crash bars (or whatever you want to call them)?

mine came with them and they seem well designed and have saved me ruining plastics riding in snow, so I don't mind them. if I solely rode on the street I'd probably pull them off, or really just bought a different bike

really, just depends on the bike and what you're doing with it. they have their use case

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't need crash bars if you don't crash

(don't crash)

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
They seem like the only way I can get highway pegs on my nighthawk, so I've thought about them once or twice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On anything besides an adv they add approximately 20 years to your age; if it's a cruiser it's 30.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
If I had crash bars I might not have a metal leg.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

don't need crash bars if you don't crash

(don't crash)

WHERE WERE YOU SIX MONTHS AGO WITH THIS INFORMATION?!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I somehow imagined these when I read crash bars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not sure what the point is in that picture, there's no saving a man bun.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

got plates this morning + took the new bad decision out

it's so weird and good i love it. gotta get used to that upright and forward riding position, i feel like i'm right over the front

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

gotta get used to that upright and forward riding position, i feel like i'm right over the front

I felt the same way when I test rode a WR-250x, and later bought my DRZ-400sm. This goes away in a few weeks ;)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congratulations on your awesome sumo life. Can confirm that feeling from the different ergos goes away quickly and then you love it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

On bmw boxers crash bars save your cylinder heads if you drop the bike at a standstill, which is a decent reason to have them. Of course, they make even the naked version look like a granddad bike. I don't care though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Holy crap.

I just had to sign into an email address I haven't used in more than a decade, to retrieve some information for an old employer. What do I see in my inbox?

09-19-2019
Subject: GSXR400
"I know where that bike is"

For those who don't know, I used to ride a super-rare '88 GSX-R400SP Slingshot Edition, but it was stolen out of my driveway twelve years ago. I've long since resigned myself to seeing it again, but I do carry the ownership in my wallet still for shits n' giggles. I'm wondering how this dude dredged up such an old post on the GTAMotorcycle forums' Stolen Bike Registry, maybe he just remembered it from so long ago. I don't even know what course of action to take here beyond replying to him and asking what's up; if I could get it back or if I would even want it back - the fork seals were busted and she was having carburetor float issues even back in '07, and being a greybike I imagine those are not easy parts to find. Unless she's in the hands of a serious collector it's probably not worth the labour of love for anyone to own such a relic in 2019. Plus there's the possibility that whoever owns it now is actually a legitimate owner - I don't know if there's any statute of limitations to these sort of things or if the police would even still have the record that I ever reported it stolen. I love my '11 GSX-R600 and parts for that are significantly less rare. But I can't deny that I am curious. Thoughts?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy crap.

I just had to sign into an email address I haven't used in more than a decade, to retrieve some information for an old employer. What do I see in my inbox?

09-19-2019

For those who don't know, I used to ride a super-rare '88 GSX-R400SP Slingshot Edition, but it was stolen out of my driveway twelve years ago. I've long since resigned myself to seeing it again, but I do carry the ownership in my wallet still for shits n' giggles. I'm wondering how this dude dredged up such an old post on the GTAMotorcycle forums' Stolen Bike Registry, maybe he just remembered it from so long ago. I don't even know what course of action to take here beyond replying to him and asking what's up; if I could get it back or if I would even want it back - the fork seals were busted and she was having carburetor float issues even back in '07, and being a greybike I imagine those are not easy parts to find. Unless she's in the hands of a serious collector it's probably not worth the labour of love for anyone to own such a relic in 2019. Plus there's the possibility that whoever owns it now is actually a legitimate owner - I don't know if there's any statute of limitations to these sort of things or if the police would even still have the record that I ever reported it stolen. I love my '11 GSX-R600 and parts for that are significantly less rare. But I can't deny that I am curious. Thoughts?

Stolen vehicle recovery videos are some of my favorite content on YouTube, so I'd personally love to see how it unfolds. And I would go full batman if someone stole my semi-super rare car. Even if it's not worth more to anyone than it is to me.

I'd say call up the police, see what the options are, and go from there. But that should probably be the first step.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bike thieves should have their Achilles tendons cut and then be chased by starving carnivores.

Go HAM.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, I mean I'm torn on this one. Depending on what this guy has to say, I could go one of two ways. I really don't want to involve the police, so if whoever owns it wants to play nice I can do that. Or I can easily go scorched-earth if they tell me to piss off.

Either way, like I said I don't even know if I truly want it back, except on the principle of the thing. All the issues I brought up, not to mention the fact that the ignition was punched out in the theft and I have no idea where or how they'd fix that... plus I don't want to end up on the wrong side of some Hell's Angels or something.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mister Speaker posted:

Plus there's the possibility that whoever owns it now is actually a legitimate owner - I don't know if there's any statute of limitations to these sort of things or if the police would even still have the record that I ever reported it stolen. I love my '11 GSX-R600 and parts for that are significantly less rare. But I can't deny that I am curious. Thoughts?

In the UK there's no such thing as a legitimate owner of stolen goods; if the police find out the vehicle is stolen they'll confiscate it, because letting them keep it would legitimise the practice of stealing vehicles and profiting from their sale.

You don't automatically get to have it back though, as far as I'm aware, I think stolen vehicles usually get crushed or go to police auction. This is completely different from profiting from crime because of reasons.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

In the UK there's no such thing as a legitimate owner of stolen goods; if the police find out the vehicle is stolen they'll confiscate it, because letting them keep it would legitimise the practice of stealing vehicles and profiting from their sale.

You don't automatically get to have it back though, as far as I'm aware, I think stolen vehicles usually get crushed or go to police auction. This is completely different from profiting from crime because of reasons.

Wait, what the hell? Why do you not get to have your stolen property returned? What if it wasn't insured or whatever? If you can't get it returned why even bother reporting the theft?

Also crash bars are cool and good and sport bikes should come with frame sliders from the factory because why wouldn't you want them? Empirical fact, eventually everyone will put every bike down on a driveway.

Other equipment bikes should come with from the factory, because you're gonna have to live with the drat thing, might as well make it as painless as possible:
total loss chain oiling system, cargo attachment points worth a drat Edit: gently caress you, I'm 28

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 11, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are super hard to get now and I'd much rather have one than a 2011 anything 600.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mirconium posted:

Wait, what the hell? Why do you not get to have your stolen property returned? What if it wasn't insured or whatever? If you can't get it returned why even bother reporting the theft?

I mean, I do want it back. On the principle alone, and on the head-turning rarity and condition of that bike, too. gently caress, when I went to a local bike meetup this summer, you wouldn't believe the adrenaline dump I got when I thought I saw it there:

(Obviously on closer inspection that's a 750, but it's the same year, same paintjob and almost the same body shape)

But it might be more hassle than it's worth, committing to a bike that I can't even properly store, repair or maybe even insure. I think I am going to go for it, pending if this guy gets back to me, but it might prove to be too much of a pain.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean, I do want it back. On the principle alone, and on the head-turning rarity and condition of that bike, too. gently caress, when I went to a local bike meetup this summer, you wouldn't believe the adrenaline dump I got when I thought I saw it there:

(Obviously on closer inspection that's a 750, but it's the same year, same paintjob and almost the same body shape)

But it might be more hassle than it's worth, committing to a bike that I can't even properly store, repair or maybe even insure. I think I am going to go for it, pending if this guy gets back to me, but it might prove to be too much of a pain.

Oh, no, sorry, that wasn't in response to you, more reacting to the whole thing where the UK police crush recovered bikes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh my bad. I totally read your first sentence wrong. In any case, I'll definitely keep this thread updated on how this unfolds. Right now, between this and some other butterflies in my stomach, I feel like I'm gonna be sick.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy crap.

09-19-2019

Should be simple to check the VIN. If it don't match, end of story. If it does, you got something to deal with.

A stolen bike does not end up in the hands of a serious collector. A serious collector would be able to figure out really quickly that it was stolen, and if they had any kind of ethics at all, wouldn't mess with it.

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, I mean I'm torn on this one. Depending on what this guy has to say, I could go one of two ways. I really don't want to involve the police, so if whoever owns it wants to play nice I can do that. Or I can easily go scorched-earth if they tell me to piss off.

Either way, like I said I don't even know if I truly want it back, except on the principle of the thing. All the issues I brought up, not to mention the fact that the ignition was punched out in the theft and I have no idea where or how they'd fix that... plus I don't want to end up on the wrong side of some Hell's Angels or something.

Make the police do their job if it turns out to be the one, though. I had my bike stolen and the police department fuckin dragged their feet every step of the way, even down to getting me a copy of all the paperwork when the drat thing was recovered. It was infuriating the extent to which they'd sigh and huff and pass stupid "can you deal with this guy" emails around the department with me copied on them. I get that an old bike isn't worth their time for the most part but gently caress 'em. It's part of their job and bike thieves are scum.

Same in the US. gently caress bike thieves and anyone who supports them in any way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mirconium posted:

Shrug. I just never heard of anyone getting a stolen vehicle back if it got as far as getting sold to an unwitting buyer. If it gets recovered right after the theft then sure, you get a grace period to claim it, but beyond that I don't know. Maybe it's just more effort than it's worth for most people if they've already made an insurance claim.

Which incidentally is the main reason to report the theft, you need a crime reference number to make an insurance claim. Most theft (most crime in fact) never gets solved, I'm not even sure what brit police are for at this point other than brutalising protestors.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shrug. I just never heard of anyone getting a stolen vehicle back if it got as far as getting sold to an unwitting buyer. If it gets recovered right after the theft then sure, but beyond that I don't know. Maybe it's just more effort than it's worth for most people if they've already made an insurance claim.

Given the amount of time that's gone by, there's no such thing as an unwitting buyer anymore. If they tried to register it, the VIN would pop up as stolen, provided Mister Speaker reported it all properly. Anyone who bought that bike figured out somewhere along the way it was stolen.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Also philosophical question: what do you google for now if you want to find reviews of electric scooters, but not THAT kind? I just want to know who even makes ones besides BMW now. And yet google fails me, because it has been swallowed whole by Lymes, Byrds, Ybers, etc

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Given the amount of time that's gone by, there's no such thing as an unwitting buyer anymore. If they tried to register it, the VIN would pop up as stolen, provided Mister Speaker reported it all properly. Anyone who bought that bike figured out somewhere along the way it was stolen.

The thieves just VIN swap and reregister it as a legit bike. Happened to mine, police went and had a look but couldn't do anything because the VIN on the engine was different, even though it has the same cosmetic damage as my bike, that could only come from an idiot like me. Basically the way UK bike theft works, is they steal the bike, then put it under a cover or in a garage for about a month (the average time for insurance to pay out the loss). Then they swap the VIN and any other ID bits from a wrecked bike, reregister it as cat D repaired (or clean, if the wreck was never reported), and sell it on.
So chances are, the current owner hasn't got a clue they own a stolen bike, as all the paperwork will be legit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can't swap a VIN stamped into the steering stock though...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You can't swap a VIN stamped into the steering stock though...

You can't always see that one without disassembling poo poo, which the police won't do (you'll be lucky if they take any interest at all), so they look for the ID plate. And you can swap frame bits too, if you're chopping the bike up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is again where the rarity of this particular bike [has me] strung along with hope that it'd be found intact.

EDIT: Wow, proofread much? I'm an idiot.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

There are precious few bikes I would go as far as to call beautiful, but this era of GSXR is for sure one of them

I hope you get your 400 back, what a cool bike