Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

"The principal constituent components of earwax are complex sebaceous fluids and sloughed off dead skin cells. The sebaceous fluids are composed mostly of triglyceride fatty acids, waxes and cholesterol esters.

A cat is not a spohisticated creature when it comes to its sense of taste. Where a human has close to 10,000 tastebuds, a cat has less than 500. However, they make up for this by having a higher concentration of olfactory receptors. (Estimates vary between breeds, but they have approximately 50 times the number of our 5 million or so odour sensitive cells.) Like humans though, they only respond to the four basic taste types of sour, bitter, salt and sweet - their response to sweet being the weakest. Most of our experience of flavour is actually due to smell - it is our sense of smell which determines why different food 'tastes' different. It is reasonable to assume that cats use a similar blend of smell and taste in determining the palatability of food.
Consider the following. Cats rarely reject a proffered piece of food on the basis of it's taste. They use smell as the discriminator to decide if something is likely to be good tucker or not. Using their sense of smell, the cats subconsciously realise that earwax has a nutritional value - specific olfactory receptors will be triggered by the scent of the fatty acids, the cholesterol, and also the dead skin cells (mostly protein). Cats are specifically attuned to the scent of animal proteins, hence their preference for meat - also the reason why cats hungrily devour earwax (and also love freshly picked scabs). The ratio of smell receptors to taste receptors is virtually reversed in cats and humans - as such if something smells good but tastes like #### then we won't eat it, but if a cat likes the smell of it, it has to taste #### awful before it won't eat it. A cat will eat small lumps of plasticine if they're covered in gravy. Try it - it's non-toxic and you can pepper your cat turds with interesting multicoloured lumps.

The upshot is that humans, with their increased sensitivity to taste, generally reject eating earwax because of its sour, bitter taste (oh come on, everyone has a dim childhood memory of what earxax tastes like, don't they?). For cats, however, the sour and bitter flavour component of the earwax is barely noticeable in comparison to its wholesome nutritious odour"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Coffee Quack posted:

"The principal constituent components of earwax are complex sebaceous fluids and sloughed off dead skin cells. The sebaceous fluids are composed mostly of triglyceride fatty acids, waxes and cholesterol esters.

A cat is not a spohisticated creature when it comes to its sense of taste. Where a human has close to 10,000 tastebuds, a cat has less than 500. However, they make up for this by having a higher concentration of olfactory receptors. (Estimates vary between breeds, but they have approximately 50 times the number of our 5 million or so odour sensitive cells.) Like humans though, they only respond to the four basic taste types of sour, bitter, salt and sweet - their response to sweet being the weakest. Most of our experience of flavour is actually due to smell - it is our sense of smell which determines why different food 'tastes' different. It is reasonable to assume that cats use a similar blend of smell and taste in determining the palatability of food.
Consider the following. Cats rarely reject a proffered piece of food on the basis of it's taste. They use smell as the discriminator to decide if something is likely to be good tucker or not. Using their sense of smell, the cats subconsciously realise that earwax has a nutritional value - specific olfactory receptors will be triggered by the scent of the fatty acids, the cholesterol, and also the dead skin cells (mostly protein). Cats are specifically attuned to the scent of animal proteins, hence their preference for meat - also the reason why cats hungrily devour earwax (and also love freshly picked scabs). The ratio of smell receptors to taste receptors is virtually reversed in cats and humans - as such if something smells good but tastes like #### then we won't eat it, but if a cat likes the smell of it, it has to taste #### awful before it won't eat it. A cat will eat small lumps of plasticine if they're covered in gravy. Try it - it's non-toxic and you can pepper your cat turds with interesting multicoloured lumps.

The upshot is that humans, with their increased sensitivity to taste, generally reject eating earwax because of its sour, bitter taste (oh come on, everyone has a dim childhood memory of what earxax tastes like, don't they?). For cats, however, the sour and bitter flavour component of the earwax is barely noticeable in comparison to its wholesome nutritious odour"

:barf:

MachDecimal
Aug 14, 2009

BonzoESC posted:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

BonzoESC posted:

then my cat ate the barf

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it took me years to realize that it was called "earwax" because it was actually all goopy and poo poo in other people.

recessive atp-binding cassette c11 gene supremacy :smug:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trig Discipline posted:

someone photoshop grumples and this guy into the street fighter 2 vs screen

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

duTrieux posted:

it took me years to realize that it was called "earwax" because it was actually all goopy and poo poo in other people.

recessive atp-binding cassette c11 gene supremacy :smug:

spergin much?

I have wet and dry earwax, depending on the time of year..

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

loaf

we were watching work of art on tv tonight and i looked over and my kid had done this i think its performance art?

lil z0rphan annie
Nov 5, 2011

:cthulhu::respek::ghost:
COME ON GET INVOLVED
THERE'S A MOOSETERY TO SOLVE
HANG AROUND WITH MOOSE MILKIE

ROVER HERE!!!!!
outside of a bengal that is the nicest coloring i've ever seen

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

these are the first pics we ever saw of trophy when we were looking for a cat
the first one is my favorite cause lol cat tongue

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

lil z0rphan annie posted:

you should just go ahead and bookmark dis thread then assuming of course you haven't already http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387278

lil z0rphan annie
Nov 5, 2011

COME ON GET INVOLVED

ROVER HERE!!!!!
bookmarking threads?

how quaint

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

lil z0rphan annie posted:

inside of a bengal it's too dark to see

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wraithgar posted:

loaf

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

:aaa:

Hamboning
May 2, 2010

dee eight posted:

inside of a bengal it's too dark to see

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

whoa. and here i just thought my cat was a freak for eating earwax

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

this cat's not giving a gently caress kernel paniced the linux. seriously.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

smugcat enjoys laundry day

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sticky wizard posted:

whoa. and here i just thought my cat was a freak for eating earwax

Gizmo goes loving nuts over qtips even if they don't have ear wax on them. Can't throw them in the bathroom trash, gotta go in the kitchen trash that has a lid on it or she will eat them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

hella quoting this

lil z0rphan annie
Nov 5, 2011

COME ON GET INVOLVED

ROVER HERE!!!!!

flyboi posted:

Gizmo goes loving nuts over qtips even if they don't have ear wax on them. Can't throw them in the bathroom trash, gotta go in the kitchen trash that has a lid on it or she will eat them.

lol

MachDecimal
Aug 14, 2009

:aaaaa:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

holy poo poo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ahhh spiders posted:

that looks like some creature from a jim henson fantasy movie

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the cat's pretty funny looking, too.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
basically i just want an excuse to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViftZTfRSt8

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

washing feels so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1gy4H4zFKzE

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

mod sassinator posted:

basically i just want an excuse to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViftZTfRSt8

No one needs an excuse to post Bowie, ever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
last time i was at the vet she had to excuse herself to talk on the phone. someones cat had eaten her silicone earplugs. vet hung up and shrugged, said "cats just love ear wax."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i had always hoped my kids and cats would be like trophy and that little girl, but no, my cats are stupid as hell and they flee before my children. the kids are good with them and gentle, but the cats are hella skittish.

wraithgar ur a lucky man.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Coffee Quack posted:

you'll get the biggest fuckin purr ever, or die pettin catte

lions can't purr, it's either roar or purr for cats and lions picked roaring

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

flyboi posted:

I recently cleaned between the keys on my keyboard with a damp Q-tip which somehow ended up on the floor and became my cat's new favorite toy. He'd pick it up in his mouth and toss it into the air like it was a mouse and he was trying to break its neck.

Which only goes to show that there's an inverse correlation between the cost and appropriateness of a "toy" and a cat's interest in it.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho

Nostrum posted:

smugcat enjoys laundry day

we got the same cat

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

JawnV6 posted:

lions can't purr, it's either roar or purr for cats and lions picked roaring

cats did too, it's just a few octaves higher :3:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
i think my cat wants to smother me. i was asleep on the couch last night and he decided to lay his fat rear end directly on my nose, waking me up through suffocation

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
my cat just came over, tried to jump on my lap but missed and clawed the poo poo out of me, then took off running all embarassed. it was a hit and run and i got no pets out of it :(

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cattes are assholes (pet them anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wraithgar posted:

then my cat ate the barf

ugh pascal does this, it's seriously the grossest thing