Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

post your alarm screen shots itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

you got like whole hour gaps in there, scrub tier imo

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Siri is trash. Period. When compared to Alexa she becomes an abject embarrassment.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That was last page.

We're trying to move on to the important task of posting screenshots of alarm times.

Please keep up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still use sleep cycle and just scroll to the time I want to wake up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s idiotic that it keeps one-off Siri alarms in the list. I love deleting 50 alarms every month so I don’t have to scroll for 5 minutes.

Maybe only keep them in the list if they’re reoccurring?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

post your alarm screen shots itt

Yeah that’s pretty much all Siri is to me, timers and alarms.

I try to use the timer a little more these days, just down on the bajillion alarms but I’m a little attached to having a ridiculous alarm selection.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean can you have too many backup alarms is that enabling myself? 🤔🤔

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have one weekend alarm and one weekday alarm and I put my phone on a table outside of my bedroom face down so that I need to get up to turn it off and I might as well just be awake from then on. And it's face down so I can't use hey siri to turn it off because she doesn't activate when faced down for some reason.

e: I never understood the point of having a 6am, 6:05am, 6:10am, 6:15am, and 6:20am. Why not just have a 6:20am and be done with it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 25, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: I never understood the point of having a 6am, 6:05am, 6:10am, 6:15am, and 6:20am. Why not just have a 6:20am and be done with it.

iOS is still really poo poo for alarms (apps can't do anything to make them more robust, have CAPTCHA style unlocks, have you scan QR codes etc); if you're prone to wake up like a zombie you'll find yourself turning them off whilst still asleep.
It'd be nice if they began to add some APIs to compensate for the limitations of walled-garden OS design.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean can you have too many backup alarms is that enabling myself? 🤔🤔

My housemate basically sleeps with her phone and requires 15+ alarms to wake up it drives me insane.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How fitting I accidentally hit the kill button instead of the snooze button in my slumber this morning and woke up late. Used to have two alarms going off 4 minutes apart from each other, maybe I need to start that up again.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol if you don't have 10 alarms, a watch alarm, and a backup phone with separate alarms to wake you up.

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I have a normal alarm clock at my bedside which I use on work days. The iPhone alarm gets used on weekends because I can’t be bothered to change the alarm time on the clock.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I actually use my Echo for an alarm clock. Probably the best use of it. I have to wake up at a different time every morning depending on the OR schedule so when I get in bed I just two that hooker to wake me up whenever. Then in the morning you can tell “Alexa Snooze” at her.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't set any morning alarms anymore. I, instead, have a hungry cat that I accidentally trained to recognize sunrise.

Probably cheaper than an iPhone

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do you guys also set your car/microwave/whatever clocks 5-10 minutes ahead

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

None of my devices are synced because time is a social construct and nothing is real.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My car clock runs slow and I usually wait until it's about 10 minutes behind to fix it. I like to feel like I"m on time instead of late per usual even if it's not true.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you guys also set your car/microwave/whatever clocks 5-10 minutes ahead

I do this to anything my wife and kids look at.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I do this to anything my wife and kids look at.

Lucky. I tried it on my boyfriend, but Jewish Time apparently compensates for fast clocks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I didn't say it helped, just that I do it :v:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Lolz if you don’t wake up at the same time: 5 minutes before your alarm goes off every day.

I’ve forgotten what it’s like to sleep in on the weekends :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If I don't set an alarm, I can literally sleep for like 12 straight hours. I need some noise blasting me awake, otherwise it's not happening.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

Lolz if you don’t wake up at the same time: 5 minutes before your alarm goes off every day.

I operate on a rolling reverse schedule, robbing myself of 15 minutes of sleep each day until, about two months in, I feel like nothing is real and can no longer differentiate dreams from reality. It’s like the best drug ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep with your curtains open and wake up naturally.

Or if you're like me and you work the night shift... wake up whenever you want :dukedoge:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If I don't set an alarm, I can literally sleep for like 12 straight hours. I need some noise blasting me awake, otherwise it's not happening.

My son is the heaviest sleeper I’ve ever known. Nothing wakes him up, so I bought him this:
Sonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nbw4AbP7YF8C5

It wakes the whole house up, and if the windows are open, I’m sure my neighbors as well. He can sleep through the goddamn thing while its shaking his bed for like 10-15 mins. After about 20 seconds, the whole family is yelling at him to turn the fuckin thing off.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My son is the heaviest sleeper I’ve ever known. Nothing wakes him up, so I bought him this:
Sonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nbw4AbP7YF8C5

It wakes the whole house up, and if the windows are open, I’m sure my neighbors as well. He can sleep through the goddamn thing while its shaking his bed for like 10-15 mins. After about 20 seconds, the whole family is yelling at him to turn the fuckin thing off.

That is not a good survival trait.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m afraid of my alarm clock so I set it and live in constant fear of hearing it. It wakes me up a couple minutes so I can shut the drat thing off and go about my day.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Braincloud posted:

I set an alarm on my fitness tracker for 6:45. I start routinely waking up at 6:30. Set it for 6:15. Now I start waking up at 6.

My brain knows what an alarm is, it just hates me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You guys need to go to bed earlier. Being forcibly knocked out of a deep sleep every day isn't healthy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People have sleeping disorders, there's no one cure all.

Though going to bed earlier is never a bad idea if you can manage it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

astral posted:

That is not a good survival trait.

Yeah, when the zombie apocalypse happens, he's toast.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No one has recommended sleep cycle yet?
It's amazing* at only waking you when you're in a lighter phase of sleep. Once it starts working for you, you'll swear you were already awake when the alarm sounded because you pretty much were).

Some fitness trackers do the same thing.
With me the difference was stark; I went from needing a 120db bell-style alarm to leaving it on half volume with a soft-sounding alarm.

* - doesn't work with everyone, might not suit your sleeping arrangements.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Khablam posted:

No one has recommended sleep cycle yet?
It's amazing* at only waking you when you're in a lighter phase of sleep. Once it starts working for you, you'll swear you were already awake when the alarm sounded because you pretty much were).

Some fitness trackers do the same thing.
With me the difference was stark; I went from needing a 120db bell-style alarm to leaving it on half volume with a soft-sounding alarm.

* - doesn't work with everyone, might not suit your sleeping arrangements.

That's what my fitness tracker is supposed to do - you give it a window of time and it wakes you up when you're at the lighter phase of your sleep.

I keep moving the time window up so that I actually wake up gently to it, but I just keep waking up earlier, so gently caress it I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with sleep cycle's slow wake up is it can't actually detect your sleep phase. All it can do is determine whether you're flailing around or not. It then makes an interpretation that "laying still = rem sleep" and this is probably accurate some of the time, but distinguishing between actual rem sleep and merely lying still requires completely different equipment.

Sleep Cycle and similar apps are good for detecting apnea and snoring, which is certainly useful for improving sleep by addressing those issues.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sonos just sent out an email about airplay 2

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/airplay?utm_source=owners&utm_medium=email&utm_content=topbutton-voice-US&utm_campaign=vinyl12_newsletter

I’ll believe it when I see it, but things are finally moving forward!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So here's a question that's kind of hard to Google. Most sites suggest that the best way to do a true clean install of iOS is to manually download the ISPW file, plug in to iTunes, and hold the Shift key and click Update, or Restore if you want to re-install everything, and select the ISPW file.

My question is, if you're selecting a file for the iOS version that iTunes would have selected anyway, is there any difference to this method vs. what iTunes would have done automatically? I'm guessing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think most people recommend downloading it manually because iTunes sucks and takes way way longer to download the updates :v: